Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Perfect Pear  

221 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• AJ: "Great-Granduncle Chili Pepper can write a better script!" ("HATE IT!" >__<)
    • AJ: "Dear Princess Celestia, I didn't learn a thing!" ("Dislike it!")
    • AJ: "Granny? Did you fall asleep again?" Granny: "Zzzzz" ("…meh…")
    • *Big Mac and AJ sit up proudly like a summer corn stalk* ("Like it!)
    • AJ: *crying on the inside AND outside* ("LOVE IT!" <3)
    • *As Pears and Apples unite under the tree, Bright Mac's and Pear Butter's spirits join with them, singing to the tune of their guitar* ("It's AMAZING!" :D)

6 hours ago, Ganondox said:

'

I wish I gone into this episode not knowing the premise, it would have made the unveil that there mother is a pear much more powerful. 

Damn right, these are some things that are better left untold before the episode airing. It wouldn't be the first time either. What's the best part of A Royal Problem? Daybreaker. What the US promo showed? You guessed it, Daybreaker :dash:

• Brohoof 1

Also, I don't think they were actually babies in that one part, they just had baby eyes. 

How can these ponies in THAT size can talk like THAT? =_= 

They just aren't going to flat out say they are dead because of the nature of the show.

Someday, in Adult Swim... I will wait. :fluttershy:

10 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Hey, anyone up to put Butter Pear in a Fallout Equestria fic? Her VA voiced Veronica Santangelo from Fallout New Vegas

What!? Really? She voiced my best companion of FA:NV? :pinkie:

22 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

I was wondering about that too. It sounded like they were like 10 to 12 years old. But we musn't forget that this is not our earth and so everybody is possible.

While I forgot about this by the end, in the framing story I had a hard time caring about the Apple/Pear feud for the most part. I did care in the context of Grand Pear and AJ's parents, but the shocking reveal that AJ's mom is a Pear means absolutely nothing to me. Glad the episode basically moved on from the feud right away. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Lambdadelta said:

They can't, and it doesn't really matter anyway.

You have to understand the writer has many ways to portray a  flashback. I mean there was no time travel here, it was a story being told by a third party with the present day story teller using what they saw and what they know second hand from Pear Butter, Bright Mac, and others. The babies talking we're either imagined by the respondent of the story, or made to talk by the in-story narrator. 

It's why films like Big Fish are so well done -- they understand the actual framing device of a flashback doesn't have limitations that the audience is mostly accustomed to -- due in part to unimaginative writing. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Hierok said:

I was wondering about that too. It sounded like they were like 10 to 12 years old. But we musn't forget that this is not our earth and so everybody is possible.

Funny, you all surprised for their voices at that age, WHILE I WAS SURPRISED THEY COULD SPEAK IN THE FIRST PLACE :D

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Well, it all started with this

Capture.PNG

Then with this

Capture.JPG

I just didn't expected it was going to be Pear Butter who she'd voiced though.

• Brohoof 7

I thought it was a great episode, definitely my favorite of the season (so far at least). Still would like to know how their parents died though, and how old the Apple siblings all were when it happened (I imagine it was not long after Apple Bloom was born). And now there's also the question of what happened to their paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother.

One thing that wasn't really explained was how the feud started in the first place - was it just because they were both farming similar fruits right next to each other? It's not like they were both farming the same thing and would have more competition over customers. And if that was the reason, why would they continue hating each other when the Pears moved away, since they would no longer be in competition with each other?

21 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Funny, you all surprised for their voices at that age, WHILE I WAS SURPRISED THEY COULD SPEAK IN THE FIRST PLACE :D

Maybe it's like Rugrats, where the babies can understand each other but they're not actually talking in a language that adults could understand.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Someday, in Adult Swim... I will wait. :fluttershy:

Hey, writing dialogue for toddlers is hard...

1 hour ago, Awkward Segway said:

One thing that wasn't really explained was how the feud started in the first place - was it just because they were both farming similar fruits right next to each other? It's not like they were both farming the same thing and would have more competition over customers

Farmer based professional feuds were actually extremely common, and if you look through historical court records when (at least in the US) was extremely agrarian you'll find that farmer related disputes were the lead cause of law suits in most counties. It looks like it started out as a professional feud that became personal, just like how it happened in many many real world cases. 

As far as direct competition, they kinda are. When I hit the grocery store I pick up some fruit and I get one or two different types out of many more offerings available. That means there are absolutely times where I'll grab some galas over bartlets. 

1 hour ago, Awkward Segway said:

And if that was the reason, why would they continue hating each other when the Pears moved away, since they would no longer be in competition with each other?

Grand walked away knowing his daughter chose the Apples over him. As he said, he was so angry. This part I thought was pretty obvious. Just the elopement part would be enough to cause one side to become infuriated. My wife and I didn't get much of a say in how our wedding was going to be done. Both families wanted this huge massive celebration and ceremony. We wanted no part in it. In the end, they got what they wanted. 

What they don't know, even to this day, is that ... we were already married. We kept that part secret because it would have cause my mother and her parents to explode in a rage of biblical proportions. Nobody bothered to even look at the public records and see ... it was signed sealed and delivered (and officiated) a wee bit earlier. ;)

To this day, my kids don't even know what date our anniversary really was. It was one of our best kept secrets. Only people that knew were me, Jess, my sister, my best friend, and her best friend. Though since I'm telling this story in a forum that one of the kids occasionally lurks in, I suppose now's as good a time as any to tell them.  

• Brohoof 11

44 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Though since I'm telling this story in a forum that one of the kids occasionally lurks in, I suppose now's as good a time as any to tell them.  

Mom already spilled the beans on that late last year, as I just mentioned. I think it was a cute thing you two did. You are right about one thing, Gram would have a fit! It's also in a few days! We have to do something, you realize that, right?

So this episode was powerful for all of us at home, especially since I know that losing a parent isn't the easiest thing to go through when you are young. What made this episode feel especially real to me was how well it was focused around remembering them with a sense of pride and wonder. I'm luckier than any of the Apples in that I have my dad, @Jeric to bother for stories he hasn't told me, and one thing about my dad that you may have noticed, he isn't shy about sharing. XD

I can't help but feel a little more connected to the Apple family now that we know, and it is even sadder in a way for Apple Bloom knowing that she probably couldn't have known her parents as well, though we've seen foals in Equestria tend to be more intelligent than human babies so she may have some memories even if she was a baby. 

And yeah, Dad's right about one other thing. This whole season seems to be poking our collective feels a little harder than it has any right to do. 

• Brohoof 9

I don't know how i feel now... Happy about this beautiful love story about Applejacks parents, but sad in the same time. Because they are dead.

And why i presume they are dead?

Because their father's best friend cried by the question from big mac if he can come more often to ask about him.

And Ms cake also said she never found the right time to bring it. If not something happend to them, why should she hide it all the time?

-One option is that they are just criminals and just sit in jail.

(edited)

Deadass, this episode was god tier.

An episode I've been waiting nearly a decade for and holy shit did it not let me down. I'm glad I was able to go in completely blind not expecting this episode at all, because when it dropped that those were AJ's parents I was blown the hell away.

It's so bittersweet despite it never even having to say their parents are dead, everyone knows it. the characters and the viewer, really heavy shit. It's such a happy episode yet I can't help but feel sad.

Beautiful episode with a beautiful song. I only got to know them in 22 minutes but damn I already miss them.

Edited by NotoriousSMALL
  • Brohoof 9

5 hours ago, Starry Aurora said:

Mom already spilled the beans on that late last year, as I just mentioned. I think it was a cute thing you two did. You are right about one thing, Gram would have a fit! It's also in a few days! We have to do something, you realize that, right?

So this episode was powerful for all of us at home, especially since I know that losing a parent isn't the easiest thing to go through when you are young. . 

You tell me, I'm still rather pissed at my roots for killing my parents :baconmane:

• Brohoof 1

The more I watch the episode, the more moments where I begin to cry.

1. Big Mac and Burnt Oak agreeing to get together to exchange stories.
  2. The song.
  3. Grand Pear apologizing to the Apple siblings for abandoning the Apples.

When these three moments appear, I have to grab a Kleenex to wipe the tears away. Sometimes this episode becomes hard to watch because of how sad it is.

I'm crying right now as I type. Excuse me…

• Brohoof 6

8 hours ago, Starry Aurora said:

So this episode was powerful for all of us at home, especially since I know that losing a parent isn't the easiest thing to go through when you are young. What made this episode feel especially real to me was how well it was focused around remembering them with a sense of pride and wonder. I'm luckier than any of the Apples in that I have my dad, @Jeric to bother for stories he hasn't told me, and one thing about my dad that you may have noticed, he isn't shy about sharing. XD

I can't help but feel a little more connected to the Apple family now that we know, and it is even sadder in a way for Apple Bloom knowing that she probably couldn't have known her parents as well, though we've seen foals in Equestria tend to be more intelligent than human babies so she may have some memories even if she was a baby. 

And yeah, Dad's right about one other thing. This whole season seems to be poking our collective feels a little harder than it has any right to do. 

This is the most touching little exchange I've seen on a forum, though I'd personally avoid using the same network space as my parents. ;)

8 hours ago, Burny said:

I don't know how i feel now... Happy about this beautiful love story about Applejacks parents, but sad in the same time. Because they are dead.

And why i presume they are dead?

Because their father's best friend cried by the question from big mac if he can come more often to ask about him.

And Ms cake also said she never found the right time to bring it. If not something happend to them, why should she hide it all the time?

-One option is that they are just criminals and just sit in jail.

Yeah, but do you honesty believe that's more likely than death when you see who they are? 

• Brohoof 2

How about they are not dead. They just have to leave their children to protect them? Maybe a Villian is chasing them, and because of that, they leave ponyville and travell far away to the north of equestria. The citizen promise to keep this as a secret from their children, so they don't go to search for them.

(edited)

Changeling Will Guide: I can feel the love coming out from the Trees of the 2 Lovers even after all these years. It's so beautiful that I just don't have the heart to feed on it. 

Bright Mac x Pear Butter, Best Love Story I've heard in a while <3 <3 <3

Edited by WiiGuy2014

The biggest takeaway for me from this episode is the fact I can finally stop seeing people complain about the Apple's parents. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted. Of course, we still don't know if they're alive or not.

One thing that stuck out at me is the timeline from when they had Apple siblings. How can Big Mac NOT remember his parents? They should've been in his life up until Applebloom was born, so he must've been at least around 7 years old. It's so strange he can hardly remember them, same goes for Applejack.

Well regardless, I enjoyed the episode a lot. It had great character development for the Apple's. Hopefully Grand Pear will be back, I'd love to see more Shatner on the show! The romance and history between the two was something I really liked. I thought this whole thing was very well written, as if it belongs in a previous season.

While Bright Mac's design was standard fare, at least Pear Butter had a unique look. She was a real sweet heart too.

And I just want to get this out of the way now. Granny Smith was a total babe back in the day. Love her with short hair.

I think it's safe to say they're dead.

I mean, it has been for years now but just the way the characters act throughout the episode you can feel the weight of it through the whole thing. The only thing that could be more blatant is flat out saying it. 

But one thing that intrigues me

Applebloom says "mom and dad left us something to remember them by"

like, was their death something they foresaw? (illness or...?)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

this....this was just idk how to feel it happy and sad and lots of tears that it really gets you right there....i loved this episode inface it would be my first in my top 5 o.O but would be re watching the whole series since there finally on a break.

also on the heart shaped tree and sorry for going a little dark on this xD but i think by what applebloom says they left us something to remember them by  was either the heart tree or its...*gulp* there graves as well ware they are berried infront of the tree (not ware they were looking at but on the other side)

Edited by FeatherStream

1 hour ago, Burny said:

How about they are not dead. They just have to leave their children to protect them? Maybe a Villian is chasing them, and because of that, they leave ponyville and travell far away to the north of equestria. The citizen promise to keep this as a secret from their children, so they don't go to search for them.

Too bad Applejack isn't a part of a group of characters that defeated world conquering evil before. Oh ... wait.

That idea turns everyone who would know into jerks and assholes. The Apples would have the full force of the Elements of Harmony and four Pony Princesses available to stop any threat to Pear Butter and Bright Mac. Even if they did 'fake their death' they would certainly have endured that their kids would have known about how they met. Granny wouldn't be so grief stricken that she couldn't talk about that story. 

Or how about this ... they had an amazing love story that preserved through a bitter feud that produced three wonderful children before they were taken far too young, further cementing that the Apples are and have always been about love and family as one of the unbreakable bonds ... in life and death. 

Sounds a lot better to me, and you don't have to pull a muscle with the mental gymnastics that comes from contorting an emotionally deep story. 

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, Burny said:

If they are still alive, then they are presumed dead or at least spiritually dead to the family based on the language used throughout the episode. Much more likely that they are just dead. 

18 minutes ago, NotoriousSMALL said:

I think it's safe to say they're dead.

I mean, it has been for years now but just the way the characters act throughout the episode you can feel the weight of it through the whole thing. The only thing that could be more blatant is flat out saying it. 

But one thing that intrigues me

Applebloom says "mom and dad left us something to remember them by"

She never said it was intentional. I mean, yes, it was intentional, but it was meant to be to remember to vows, not for their children to remember them after they died young. 

• Brohoof 2

17 minutes ago, NotoriousSMALL said:

Two explanations. One is the one that is directly stated before they were interrupted. They knew the tree would outlast them, and always be a symbol of their love. 

The other possibility is that they died of an illness they contracted together and had told Mayor Mare, Cake, up Burnt Oak to relay that specific message. They couldn't have told Granny (because she hadn't seen the place in a while due to her shock of the intertwined trees). Mayor Mare is most logical as they already visited the other two, and it was Mayor Mare who told them about the wedding. 

But the first one makes the most sense. Another real life example is my wife write in composition books every night for 20+ years. I have boxes of them ... though she never said it ... I have told the kids that she left them behind to remember her by. It's a nice way to look at it. 

8 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

She never said it was intentional. I mean, yes, it was intentional, but it was meant to be to remember to vows, not for their children to remember them after they died young. 

This is what I took from that as well. When we die, especially early, everything that reminds our loved ones about us is there to remember us by. 

• Brohoof 1