Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Perfect Pear  

221 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• AJ: "Great-Granduncle Chili Pepper can write a better script!" ("HATE IT!" >__<)
    • AJ: "Dear Princess Celestia, I didn't learn a thing!" ("Dislike it!")
    • AJ: "Granny? Did you fall asleep again?" Granny: "Zzzzz" ("…meh…")
    • *Big Mac and AJ sit up proudly like a summer corn stalk* ("Like it!)
    • AJ: *crying on the inside AND outside* ("LOVE IT!" <3)
    • *As Pears and Apples unite under the tree, Bright Mac's and Pear Butter's spirits join with them, singing to the tune of their guitar* ("It's AMAZING!" :D)

I had high hopes for this episode and it didn't disappoint. Just a beautiful, heartfelt, fun story all-around. I couldn't help but tear up towards the end of it. I'm in awe. The Apples have always been precious characters to me and I deeply cherish all of the stories and flashbacks and just everything pertaining to them and their family, but this was one of the most touching episodes ever. I loved Granny and Grand Pear and the ending with the tree and just... everything. I don't have the words for it. 

• Brohoof 12

2 hours ago, SolarFlare13 said:

But the thing I don’t get is, Granny Smith and Grand Pear are A LOT older than Bright Mac and Pear Butter. How did they out-lived them? :o 

I have heard that line (in a similar form) from my niece about three times now. It breaks my heart anew each time I hear it. I wish that our loved ones didn't have to go too soon. Sometimes a parent bears the pain of saying goodbye to their child, and a child to their parent far too soon. 

Stepping away from a feels laden experience, I have to give credit to the voice acting of almost every character here. Burned Oak, Bright Mac, Pear Butter, Grand Pear, Mrs. Cake, Mayor Mare, Granny ... they all nailed it. 

The boarding and story direction was superb here. The little touches like the accidental "I love you", and Bright Mac putting his hat (which is AJ's style Stetson) on 'Butter Cup's' head ... adorable all the way. 

I also have to credit them for tackling not just death in a delicate manner, but doing it in such a way that shows healing and stability can follow tragedy ... it's powerful. They touched on a realistic falling out (all too realistic), and even choosing love over family. That took guts to do an elopement in a family show. 

This also cemented Applejack permanently as my Number 2. Sorry Glimmer, you still have a place in my heart ... but AJ is far more inspirational and personal for me to ignore it. 

Damn pony episode has me up at 4:30 am thinking about real world nonsense. Crazy what a silly cartoon can do when it hits that sweet spot. The power of animation to invoke every emotion and make those feelings dance to it's whim.

:(

Perfect Pear ... bless your heart!

1 hour ago, Sugar Cube said:

I had high hopes for this episode and it didn't disappoint. Just a beautiful, heartfelt, fun story all-around. I couldn't help but tear up towards the end of it. I'm in awe. The Apples have always been precious characters to me and I deeply cherish all of the stories and flashbacks and just everything pertaining to them and their family, but this was one of the most touching episodes ever. I loved Granny and Grand Pear and the ending with the tree and just... everything. I don't have the words for it. 

I know how your feel SC. They really hit a grand slam here! The Perfect Pear encapsulates everything that the Apples stand for, from family to tradition to honesty, and ... just wow. 

Hey Buck Testa should be safe now! :)

• Brohoof 16

That was so incredibly sweet and wonderful. We have finally some closure about AJs parents and to say that their lovestory is incredibly sweet is an understatement.

The story didn't felt forced and the song really made me a bit emotional to say the least. I know how it feels like when somebody has to move far away. Sadly, i couldn't stop that from happening. :(

Also, you shouldn't be mad about the writers for not telling why they passed. I knew they wouldn't mention it, but they atleast made little hints about it.

Beautiful episode.

• Brohoof 10

That was such a sweet episode! I felt all the drama the episode had. The story itself is kinda like Romeo and Juliet but with a better ending. Plus, Applejack's father looks like my old pony OC.

All in all, fantastic episode. Seems to me this season is gonna be the best one yet.

• Brohoof 9

I went into this episode not know anything about it.  When they said parents I had to pause the video and process what I just heard. I just wish it said what happened to them.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Since this episode contained major spoilers, I figured this should be another one I should watch early.

Damn, if this isn't the most touching episode of the series so far then I don't know what is. :(

The song had me in tears, I loved the little touches like Big Mac going back to Burnt Oak to ask if he could come back another day to hear more stories about his dad, and the love between Bright Mac and Pear Butter felt so real and they had such a good repore with one another it was amazing. Best two new characters of the season.

Now that's how you do romance in a show "for little girls". "Hard to Say Anything," eat your heart out! :lol:

If I have one minor complaint, I guess I felt the ending was a bit rushed. I wanted the drama during the reconciliation scene to be drawn out a little longer. As it is, it's not enough to hurt the episode. Best episode of the season, and it's somewhere in the top 3 overall in the series. Bravo, DHX and Hasbro.

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 12

Really sweet episode. It hit home in a lot of ways, and I really like how they handled everything. The song was really sentimental and one I can see getting added to a playlist. If I had to nitpick, I will agree with the above post that some of it felt a bit rushed, but I can't hold that against it since they only had 23 minutes to get everything in there, and nothing else felt like filler. This episode could have done with an extra 5 minutes. So not really a complaint, just wishful thinking on my part.

Also, I really was hoping they would end it someplace like some gravestones or something, since no matter what despite this episode, we will still have people speculating about their parents still being alive, and I really wanted them to put that rumor to rest. The tree was beautiful and I loved the image, but it will not hush the speculators.

• Brohoof 4

Just started watching the episode, and listening to Grand Pear made me realize that it's tricky to know an elderly pony's gender until you hear their voice. Apparently, their muzzle become the same basic shape in old age. Am I wrong? Any counter-arguements?

First funny line of the episode:

Goldie Delicious coming out of her house: "Now that's how you make an entrance, or is it an exit?"

• Brohoof 2

MLP once again showing that it can do emotional and heartwarming episodes better than just about any show I have seen. The more comedic episodes are good too (TSRR is great), but give me an episode like this or Amending Fences over Party Pooped or TOWPPK any day of the week.

The characters just had such great chemistry. The song was great. The feels were done so well. It's just just...so GOOD!

• Brohoof 4

Hum... So they still put AJ's parents status in Schrödinger's cat box called missing, hum... :confused:

Ok, my first impression of the episode. Well, it's a good one, but i didnt enjoy it as much as everyone do, maybe the fact there are possiblities that AJ's parents can be alive in the end of the episode ruined my experience in the middle of episode, i get carried away by the possibilities that they can be alive instead of enjoying the episode for what it is. I have to rewatch it several times to clear my thought. Ok back to first impression.   

What i like:

AJ's parents, obviously, they are the best romantic couple in the entire series. It's good to see AJ has such wonderful parents.

I like how Mrs. Cake and Mayor Mare involve in the story, they have more stories in them than i thought.

Young Granny is scary. :blush:

The song, this song isnt belong to mlp, it should be sung by Taylor Swift or something lol.

The ApplexPear kind of tree near the end is beautiful.

The overall story is really sweet, it completed Apple-related history storyline, maybe i am wrong.

What i dont like:

Well, not enough tension and drama... i guess, i expected it to be heart-wrenching in Lost Mark or Amending Fence level. The story about star-crossed lovers is too cliche for me and this ep didnt have enough "drama" for me, blame all the Korean/Hong Kong/Japanese dramas that i have watched in over 6 years, i used to eat them like breakfast...

I kinda expect this episode will develop Apple Bloom character...

The Ugly:

HOW CAN THE BABIES TALK LIKE ADULT? Are they just use psychic or sth, because that's ridiculous. 

Joanna Lewis & Kristine Songco are MVP of this season, their episode of this season alone are already surpass everything Josh Haber had ever done, fantastic writers, they should write for this season more, i want more, they should stay away from EQG (Legend of Everfree suck).

All those negatives i get from this ep come from my expectation, it's not episode's faults, i guess. I need to rewatch this episode again to give a rating that it deserves. Right now, it's a 8/10.

• Brohoof 3

During that beautiful song that brought tears of joy to my eyes in a flashback, I like the little continuity detail that Nightmare Moon was still imprisoned during those days!

• Brohoof 8

I'm speechless. Really speechless. Ponyville feels a little more alive with characters whose stories connect with each other. It's almost a perfect episode!

But what is up with baby Bright Mac and Pear Butter sounding like adults with high-pitched voices?!  

• Brohoof 5

Oh, the trees at the end that grew from seeds they planted at their secret wedding! They're "hugging" each other!

Just now, EQ_Theta said:

I'm speechless. Really speechless. Ponyville feels a little more alive with characters whose stories connect with each other. It's almost a perfect episode!

But what is up with baby Bright Mac and Pear Butter sounding like adults with high-pitched voices?!  

Maybe that's just how they're letting us know what the babies were saying to each other in baby talk. The adults would hear baby talk, but the two can understand each other!

You see this episode, Becky Wangberg, writer of "Hard to Say Anything"? THIS is how you do an romance episode.

Already some of the Forum Members who despised H2SA have voiced their adoration of this episode!

The sins of the past have been forgiven 

• Brohoof 11

(edited)

Wow. Just wow. Dealing with dead characters is a very sensitive topic for a kids show, and MLP nailed it perfectly. Everyone had small tears in there eyes when talking about AJ's parents, and always said it in past tense, so its almost confirmed that they are dead. Lets hope soccer moms don't say its too sad! Though the romeo and juliet is quite common (Lion King 2, etc.) they did it in a great way! Most shows get rid of the part where thy die, but MLP went out and had them die, (though not as tragic as what romeo and juliet did.. 0.0) The song was amazing, and really nice, seeing as we had very few songs this season (Battle for Sugar Belle, Best Friends Until the End of Time, and now You're In My Head Like a Catchy Song) and none of them were amazing. Anyway, does anyone have a tissue? Its time to give out the

First TV Show That Made Me Cry Award!

Granted to The Perfect Pear

(Oh and I ship Granny Smith and Grandpear)

Edited by Ingoma
  • Brohoof 7

That episode was AMAZING! Also made me tear up after their wedding, also I dig the song! Just WOW! Also 2 episodes already in this season, and apples get dissed a lot, first by Strawberry Sunrise, and next Grand Pear. XD

Glad we finally get to learn about AJ, Big Mac, and Applebloom's parents' history together, and also like the part in were Mrs. Cake also has a history with Pear Butter, and Mayor Mare as well having a history too with Pear. Also, hat's off to Mr. Shatner for being a guest VA for this episode. He did awesome here in this episode, though it's not surprising since the guy has been in the showbiz industry and all.

• Brohoof 9

(edited)
1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Also, I really was hoping they would end it someplace like some gravestones or something, since no matter what despite this episode, we will still have people speculating about their parents still being alive, and I really wanted them to put that rumor to rest. The tree was beautiful and I loved the image, but it will not hush the speculators.

I hoped that too, with a gravestone like an apple! And maybe the message:

"I hope your day will be brightened again when you see the buttercups waving peaceful in the breeze"

Bright Mac, 35 years old

Pear Butter, 34 years old

Edited by Hierok
Crying on the inside!
  • Brohoof 2

One of My FAVES! I was really impressed with this one! It was adorable and heartbreaking in the best way. I was also surprised with the designs of the parents! Didn't expect Bright Mac to look like Applebloom in color scheme. Obviously a Romeo & Juliet reference.  

• Brohoof 2