Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The EQG world is so boring.

Slashy

6 minutes ago, Yumekai said:

Yea they definitely lost a lot of potential also am i the only one that hated the villains so much that it got annoying or maybe that was me being annoyed by the repetitiveness of what the villains do such as the Rainbow rock's villains oh no we're singing, oh we're singing agian, and agian. 

I just look at it as parody - First of typical "teen highschool" Americanisms and then of j-pop "teen idol" anime. But yeah, I can't imagine watching it in a cinema without a fast-forward button...

• 4 weeks later...

For me, one of the core draws of Equestria Girls is seeing how characters I know would fit into a mundane, familiar world. The magical conflicts exist to disrupt this regular world so we can see how it reacts to them. I like that the world is mundane, and I don't want it to stand alone, because that whole idea that it's like if MLP characters were in a world kinda like ours is fun to me. It's why I don't really like the geodes - they detract from that in favour of magical girl shenanigans which are surely better done elsewhere. I guess it's not incompatible with the mane six living normal teen lives, but I often think that I would have preferred something more sitcom-esque.

With that said... CHS is pretty boring. Why did it have to be high school? At least they apparently train their students in motocross, which is absurd and awesome. 

More mundane than our world? That would explain why Canterlot High has a motocross during the Friendship Games. Seriously, I think it's the other way around. In other words, our world is more mundane than their world, because there is absolutely no one in our world whose from another dimension where there are talking magical ponies. And for the sake of their health, it's for the best they don't exist, because if they do, then scientists will want to know how that is even remotely possible, and the next thing you know, Derpy/Ditzy/Muffins/what's-her-face is getting spliced up in a lab! Plus, how is anyone supposed to turn into a demon and tear apart the fabric of space and time? That's just it. In real life, they can't turn into demons with the power to destroy the universe. Then again, why would we want that to happen? 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
10 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

More mundane than our world? That would explain why Canterlot High has a motocross during the Friendship Games. Seriously, I think it's the other way around. In other words, our world is more mundane than their world, because there is absolutely no one in our world whose from another dimension where there are talking magical ponies. And for the sake of their health, it's for the best they don't exist, because if they do, then scientists will want to know how that is even remotely possible, and the next thing you know, Derpy/Ditzy/Muffins/what's-her-face is getting spliced up in a lab! Plus, how is anyone supposed to turn into a demon and tear apart the fabric of space and time? That's just it. In real life, they can't turn into demons with the power to destroy the universe. Then again, why would we want that to happen? 

It is more mundane or equally mundane, but I believe you are comparing apples to oranges here.

What could be seen as fantastical from our world is different and subjective.

Edited by Slashy

Just now, heavens-champion said:

I fail to see how teenage girls growing wings and pony ears and gaining magical powers is mundane.

It isn't, but neither are self-driving cars, holograms, or personal robot assistants  I find those things equally facinating as the magic from that series.

Well to be fair we don't see a lot of that world.  We've seen two schools and a smattering of a city and town.  I'm sure if MLP focused only on Canterlot and nothing else that would seem mundane and boring too.  Also the girls are human in the teenage range, having them constantly be in danger like their equestrian counterparts would raise the question of where the parents are (not counting Sunset).

• Brohoof 1

It isn't boring, but it is much more familiar. I think many people here are searching for non realistic things to happen, and mlp just got that slightly more then eqg. :orly:

• Brohoof 1

On 8/6/2017 at 8:11 PM, Skytower said:

Also the girls are human in the teenage range, having them constantly be in danger like their equestrian counterparts would raise the question of where the parents are (not counting Sunset).

You know that does raise a good question of why we don't see them. I mean they have the pony assets to model them after for each of the Mane 6 even Applejack and.....oh I just thought of the best episode and/or fanfic. What if EqG AJ's parents aren't dead but just out of town a lot and the pony AJ and Human AJ decide to switch places (an idea given by Pinkie) causing Pony AJ to meet "her parents" and never want to leave. Oh the perfect emotional sequal with the lesson of letting go when you can't change the past and not clinging to false appearances.

Sorry, to go on that tangent but I would so write that if I wasn't so busy. Also it would be less boring for both Applejacks! (Yes brought it back on topic) That's how you can make it less boring is change the world building of characters to be different than that of Equestria like with Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, KH7672 said:

You know that does raise a good question of why we don't see them. I mean they have the pony assets to model them after for each of the Mane 6 even Applejack and.....oh I just thought of the best episode and/or fanfic. What if EqG AJ's parents aren't dead but just out of town a lot and the pony AJ and Human AJ decide to switch places (an idea given by Pinkie) causing Pony AJ to meet "her parents" and never want to leave. Oh the perfect emotional sequal with the lesson of letting go when you can't change the past and not clinging to false appearances.

Sorry, to go on that tangent but I would so write that if I wasn't so busy. Also it would be less boring for both Applejacks! (Yes brought it back on topic) That's how you can make it less boring is change the world building of characters to be different than that of Equestria like with Twilight.

That would be interesting.  That whole idea is one of the most interesting and un-explored aspects of the twin worlds.  All of the M6 and now the human M6 know that in another world there is someone exactly like them, in completely different bodies.  It's understandable why Starlight was so curious about it.  I would have loved to have seen a conversation between human Twilight and pony Twilight.  They are almost the same but pony Twilight is far more confident and sure of herself.  Seeing a switch between sides for any of them would make for at least 6 or 7 interesting stories to start.  Rainbow realizing that she has to be part of a weather control unit when she is a pegasus, the Rarities shock when one discovers that clothing is mere decoration in pony world and the other realizing that clothing is non-optional in the human world...  even a conversation between the two Celistia's and Luna's would make for good stories.

On 7/31/2017 at 2:28 PM, Slashy said:

It isn't, but neither are self-driving cars, holograms, or personal robot assistants  I find those things equally facinating as the magic from that series.

When I was growing up those things were science fiction.

8 hours ago, KH7672 said:

Okay, now I really wanna see this. There's so much potential for pathos in this idea. 

8 hours ago, Skytower said:

Seeing a switch between sides for any of them would make for at least 6 or 7 interesting stories to start.  Rainbow realizing that she has to be part of a weather control unit when she is a pegasus, the Rarities shock when one discovers that clothing is mere decoration in pony world and the other realizing that clothing is non-optional in the human world...  even a conversation between the two Celistia's and Luna's would make for good stories.

I think with Rainbow and Rarity they'd also have the shock of discovering that they're both celebrities on the other side of the mirror, given that pony Rainbow is a Wonderbolt and pony Rarity is an increasingly popular designer. Similarly, Twilight having to come to terms with her counterpart being a goddamn princess would be interesting, as would pony Twilight escaping from all of those expectations. 

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Okay, now I really wanna see this. There's so much potential for pathos in this idea. 

I think with Rainbow and Rarity they'd also have the shock of discovering that they're both celebrities on the other side of the mirror, given that pony Rainbow is a Wonderbolt and pony Rarity is an increasingly popular designer. Similarly, Twilight having to come to terms with her counterpart being a goddamn princess would be interesting, as would pony Twilight escaping from all of those expectations. 

still un-known of course is if Human Twilight will become an alicorn or a unicorn when she steps through the portal.  I don't think either Rarity or Rainbow would have trouble adjusting to the fame, but neither would have the abilities of their counterparts.  It takes a lifetime to learn to fly like Rainbow and human Rarity is far more used to hands than unicorn magic to thread a needle.

Just now, Skytower said:

still un-known of course is if Human Twilight will become an alicorn or a unicorn when she steps through the portal.  I don't think either Rarity or Rainbow would have trouble adjusting to the fame, but neither would have the abilities of their counterparts.  It takes a lifetime to learn to fly like Rainbow and human Rarity is far more used to hands than unicorn magic to thread a needle.

With Rarity and Rainbow I'm just interested in their surprise and inevitable excitement over how famous their counterparts are. And regardless of whether human Twilight would be an alicorn, I'd love to see her processing the fact that this princess from another dimension is, well, her. 

31 minutes ago, Skytower said:

She gets wings after she "ponies up" so I would assume yes

• Brohoof 1