Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private The Four Cats of Apocalypse. 1x1 with Unicorncob (RP)

Catpone Cerberus

(edited)

"So, have you even tried to catch anything here?" Slumberfur asked, "Because if you want food, you have to hunt it." That wasn't exactly true, Slumberfur was going to hunt for her if it  would become necessary, she being a visitor,  but he wanted to make sure that she at least tried herself first. "I can tell you what to do."

Edited by The Cerberus
  • Brohoof 1

A long, drawn out sigh sounded from Jinx as she pulled herself onto her paws. "I suppose if I must. It seems silly to me, but if there's no other way."

She flopped down onto her backside, looking right at Slumberfur. "Alright then, what do I have to do?" She sighed.

• Brohoof 1

"Firstly, you need to find prey, try to catch any scents or sounds of prey." "After finding you target, you have to get close." Slumberfur then explained and demonstrated how to sneak properly and what to do after getting close to the prey. He explained it to Jinx like he would have explained it to an apprentice.

"If you are unsure about the bounce, I suggest you to try it few times to something like a leaf first."

• Brohoof 1

Jinx watched Slumberfur's demonstration, but was not exactly that invested. It all looked like hard work, not to mention rather silly.

"Do I really need to move around like that?" She murmured, giving one of her paws a shake. With a sigh she decided to just go with it and try to mimic Slumberfur's creeping across the floor.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Yes, until you want your prey to run away." Slumberfur answered calmly. He observed Jinx sneaking and searched for mistakes in her movement. Though he wasn't too enthusiastic about trying to teach a kittypet, he stayed positive, it was good practice for him, because someday he would get his own apprentice. He figured that if he would manage to teach something to a kittype nowt, enthusiastic apprentice shouldn't cause any problems in the future.

Edited by The Cerberus
  • Brohoof 1

Naturally, Jinx's posture, movements and pounce were full of mistakes, especially as she practically flopped onto the leaf in the middle of the floor. The impact from her plump body caused a cloud of dust to kick up.

"Ow," she murmured, sitting up and shaking herself out.

• Brohoof 1

Slumberfur looked amused "Not quite like that" He then right away pointed out the most obvious mistakes and suggested how to avoid them, and despite his hardest effort, he couldn't get rid of his amusement. He had seen kits and apprentices failing in many amusing ways, but plump kittypet doing it made it somewhat funnier looking. 

• Brohoof 1

Jinx couldn't help but feel like Slumberfur was pitying her, making her more irritable-looking when he went through her mistakes. Nonetheless, she held her tongue and attempted the pounce again.

It was smoother this time somewhat, still rather rough but not a disaster this time around.

• Brohoof 1

"Lot better, if you could take little time to practice every day, you could actually become pretty good hunter." Slumberfur meowed, before explaining what still needed practice. "So, do you still want to try to the leaf, or do you want to try and get something edible?" 

• Brohoof 1

"I'd prefer something edible," Jinx meowed, sitting up with her chest heaving from the effort of pouncing on the ground. "I don't know how things are done out here, but I'd prefer not to eat leaves."

She flicked her tail, and recalled Slumberfur's food from earlier. "Like that squirrel, I'd like one of them. Or a fish, fish would be lovely right now."

• Brohoof 1

"Why not to try to catch one then, just focus your senses and do like I explained." Slumberfur meowed, he would have suggested that they go to the river so she could get fish, but he wasn't sure if Kitestar would allow that, so he didn't. 

• Brohoof 1

Jinx sighed and stood up, shaking out her soft fur. "I suppose if I must... I'm supposing fish is out of the question? I haven't seen a single river since we left that... 'territory'."

All these terms these forest cats used felt really silly on her tongue.

• Brohoof 1

"There is small river in our territory but I can't take you there now so yes, fish is out of question." Slumberfur meowed, he couldn't understand why Jinx would have wanted to rather wet her paws than hunt on dry land, but didn't ask about it. 

• Brohoof 1

Jinx huffed and rolled her eyes. "And to think, it's the only reason in the world I would ever touch water." She was clearly not pleased with the lack of her favourite food, but she decided to make do.

"Fine then," she decided, fixing Slumberfur with expectant eyes, "I shall follow you. But I want it to be good."

• Brohoof 1

"I can't control what's good to you." Slumberfur meowed dismissively he then led her not far from the nest, to place where he could smell plenty of pray. "Here, there is lot of prey around us, you know what to do, I go out of your way." He then climbed to close by tree where he sat down watching Jinx. 

• Brohoof 1

"Wait, what?" Jinx meowed, and watched as Slumberfur climbed the tree. "You honestly expect me to--...ugh."

Clearly not pleased with her situation, she began looking around for anything moving. Literally, trying to spot any mice or anything. It took her a few moments before her instincts told her to taste the air and lock onto a scent. She managed to, and Slumberfur could see her begin to stalk after a mouse.

• Brohoof 1

Slumberfur observed Jinx as she tried to hunt, he observed the mistakes and what Jinx did right. He somewhat hoped that that Jinx would catch the mouse, and it wasn't because he would have to hunt for her if she didn't, but he thought that she would almost deserve to succeed. 

• Brohoof 1

Letting her instincts take over somewhat, Jinx stalked the mouse, her movements rather awkward due to her size and lack of training. She managed to get somewhat close to the mouse before making an attempt at a pounce.

Unfortunately her aim was off and she flopped right in front of the creature, which looked right at her. She swiped a paw toward it, but it sped off just in time, looking back at her almost mockingly before ducking into the grass.

The kittypet hissed in frustration, made up of failure and growing hunger.

• Brohoof 1

Jinx's coat bristled with embarrassment as Slumberfur returned with the squirrel, and she flicked her tail while jerking her head upward to the side. "Hmph, I don't need your pity."

After a few more moments, she eyed the squirrel up again, and lowered her head to start eating it. "Mmm~"

• Brohoof 1

"I don't pity you, we just don't like to let our guests to starve to death." Slumberfur meowed, "Besides, It wasn't that bad for a first try." He then laid down to the ground short distance away and after a moment meowed, "Tastes good doesn't it?"

• Brohoof 1

Jinx didn't speak for a moment, her mouth filled with squirrel. When she eventually finished, she licked her face clean with a contented purr, then washed her paw slowly.

"It was quite nice, yes," she admitted, "I'm not sure if I'd give up my comfortable bed for it, but it makes for a nice snack."

• Brohoof 1

"I usually take squirrel when I can choose, they are one of the biggest prey-animals on our territory, and i think they taste the best." "They just sometimes are little tricky to catch." Slumberfur meowed rather calmly. "And I have to admit that kittypet beds are comfortable." when he noticed what he had said, he quickly added, "I once had to sleep in one."

• Brohoof 1

Jinx looked at Slumberfur, flicking her tail curiously. She didn't think these forest cats were into beds.

"Really? You did?" She asked calmly, looking right at him with wonder in her eyes. "I didn't know about this, give me details."

• Brohoof 1

Slumberfur was annoyed towards himself from saying what he did, but he didn't show it to Jinx, "We had a trouble with a rogues" guessing that Jinx didn't know what rogue was, he added "Rogues are stray cats who don't like to stay in one place." "Anyway, I was ordered to make sure they had left for good, so I found myself at the Twoleg place." "Long story short, it was getting late so I had to spend my night at the twoleg place, and I found one of those beds outside." "And knowing that I wouldn't find any better place to sleep, I had to use the kittypet bed" Slumberfur explained, even though, all what he said was a lie. In reality he had slept in them before joining the clan, but he didn't want Jinx to know that.

• Brohoof 1