Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Did you cry during The Perfect Pear?

Dark Qiviut

(edited)

The most common emotion in response to The Perfect Pear so far is crying, whether it's sad, happy, or both. The way it's written, animated, composed, and told brings out such a raw emotional depth that hits people right in the heart.

Did you cry during the episode? If so, where (and if you can, why)?

I did in three areas:

1. When Big Mac and Burnt Oak agree to exchange stories of Bright Mac. Burnt Oak's tears during the brief moment shows me how important Bright Mac was to his life.
  2. The song. The way the guitar makes its noise, Buttercup's dedication to Bright, and heartwarming tone brings out such happiness that my eyes well.
  3. Grand Pear's apology to the Apple siblings. The pain and regret is so evident in his voice that Grand Pear turns into the show's most tragic character. The fact that he'll never be able to apologize to his daughter makes it more crushing.
Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 11

I was tearing up a bit throughout most of it, but a few tears finally managed to slip their way out around the end. The entire episode was just beautiful to me, start to finish. Finally learning about the Apple siblings parents and so far they have the best written romance in the show, it's very sweet but not sickeningly so. Grand Pear's heartfelt apologies at the end really got to me too, he doesn't give a reason but I get the feeling it might have to do with his daughter's passing, just think for a moment...He only came back to Ponyville now, he likely never apologized or made up with her...

This is so far, the 5th episode to get some tears out of me. The ending's to Magical Mystery Cure and Crusaders of the Lost Mark both got some Liquid pride, I related to Moondancer too hard not to tear up at the end to Amending Fences, and even though I've never had a real sibling the end to Brotherhooves Social was just too touching to not hit me right in the heart. Now this one can be added to that list, I hope it's not the last.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Near the end, mainly; when Grand Pear announced he would leave to Vanhoover, when Pear Butter decided to stay with the Apples, and when Grand Pear decided to apologize. Would probably start earlier on second watch, especially at the first scene you mention, but mostly my reaction was a shrill squeak at the sweetness of it all. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 2

The tears flowed completely and without mercy several times, and there was a 10 minute stretch where at seemed that the show didn't give me a break.

I have been misty eyed multiple times with this show. One of these days I should make a list of them. Crusaders of the Lost Mark actually brought tears, but it was a completely different emotion that drove them. You see, most my tear related emotional moments when watching the show tend to revolve around some form of personal relatability or similar with a moment in my life. CotLM was all about the characters and their journey reaching a milestone in the way they had. This type of reaction is actually quite rare. 

Perfect Pear was one of those that brought the waterworks because of both  aspects. It was both due the character's journey, and because it carried such a strong air of relatability. It also had the distinction of creating second-hand tears. There were moments I was emotionally composed and then something would set off one of the kids and ... boom ... I'm swimming in my own tears again. I was watching it on the laptop with a kid flanking me on each side. I would feel the steady vibration from discord going off consistently, which was actually DQ commenting, but I knew the limited composure I did seem to muster took so much effort that it would have limited my ability to hold anything that resembled a conversation. 

A few moments from the episode that got me in no particular order. 

1. Goldie's line about how Pear and Bright loved each other - this was my confirmation that the parents were indeed deceased. 

2. The buttercup scene - this was something from both my childhood, and something the wife did with the kids. This was a second hand moment. Kid #2 broke down.

3. Big Mac asking Burnt Oak about sharing stories. This was the first time it started pouring. 

4. Pear Butter's gift of a song. Ok. This entire bit broke me for many many reasons. You know how I said that the show has done something's that are very personal? This scene was the most personal moment in any cartoon ... period. I had an @Ariida-chi  commission done a few months back to ponify the moment that I realized I was hopelessly in love and that I was going to marry the women in front of me. 

x4emDNC.jpg

This is the moment. The story behind this moment will eventually be told, but for now I'll just say that it isn't hard to see how Pear Butter's musical gift could have done what did. The connection was also instantly recognized by the kids. The fact that Pear Butter told Bright Mac, 'Quiet you' perfectly primed the scene. During the song, the little 'secret dance' they did -- made the tears even more prominent as that was simply adorable. 

5. The wedding -- they freaking eloped! My wife and I did that, albeit for a different reason and definitely not due to a feud. 

6. "The Apples are my family" line coupled with Granny's reaction. Perfect execution. 

7. The fucking tree! This the moment that I actually realized that I had come to really like Pear and Bright so much that I actually felt real sorrow that we won't get to ever see them in the show. To be sad when a death is touched on is one thing, but to actually feel grief and separation for a fictional character ... to realize that you miss someone who you've only known for less than 15 minutes is fucking crazy. What the hell is it about trees and this show that can invoke empathy? Poignant symbolism is poignant. 

There are a few more, but those were the scenes that basically said, "You! Time to make you go bankrupt on Kleenex fool". I Even got tears watching it again with @PathfinderCS.

TL;DR - yeah I cried. A lot. 

• Brohoof 14

(edited)

@Dark Qiviut

Is it wrong to say I got a little teary-eye as I said, "[The Apple Siblings] are their parents' children, alright!" after hearing how the parents had a little of the children in them, like Applejack had her father's honesty and Apple Bloom helped a pony discover their Cutie Mark, like her mother before her?

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Yamet said:

Nope, didn't even tear up. 

I just can't get sad over cartoons and such things for some reason. 

To quote Pinkie Pie: "I'm crying, 'cause you're not crying"

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

@Dark Qiviut

Is it wrong to say I got a little teary-eye as I said, "[The Apple Siblings] are their parents' children, alright!" after hearing how the parents had a little of the children in them, like Applejack had her father's honesty and Apple Bloom helped a pony discover their Cutie Mark, like her mother before her?

*chuckle* Not wrong at all. :D

19 minutes ago, Jeric said:

7. The fucking tree! This the moment that I actually realized that I had come to really like Pear and Bright so much that I actually felt real sorrow that we won't get to ever see them in the show. To be sad when a death is touched on is one thing, but to actually feel grief and separation for a fictional character ... to realize that you miss someone who you've only known for less than 15 minutes is fucking crazy. What the hell is it about trees and this show that can invoke empathy? Poignant symbolism is poignant. 

The symbolism adds a ton when we basically watched their biography, how many of us became became so attached to them that we view the characters as people rather than merely vectors on a screen, and how both trees coil to form a heart at the very top.

• Brohoof 4

I would have just lost it and cried.. if I was strong enough to keep watching.. I chose to pause a few time because I was tearing up so much, especially during the song and wedding scene when Pear Butters said the apples were her family too, man that got me, and seeing that tree at the end, this was a very touching episode, truly beautiful.

• Brohoof 3

During most flashbacks, the song and the rock, the occasion parallels of the apple siblings to their parents, the secret wedding, pear butter reluctantly choosing the apples over the pears and grand pear leaving her behind, grand and granny making up, the tree, pretty much the whole episode.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't really cry, but my eyes did tear up a bit here and there. I still got hit real hard in the feels though so I suppose I'm just like Applejack. xD

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

The most common emotion in response to The Perfect Pear so far is crying, whether it's sad, happy, or both. The way it's written, animated, composed, and told brings out such a raw emotional depth that hits people right in the heart.

Did you cry during the episode? If so, where (and if you can, why)?

I did in three areas:

1. When Big Mac and Burnt Oak agree to exchange stories of Bright Mac. Burnt Oak's tears during the brief moment shows me how important Bright Mac was to his life.
  2. The song. The way the guitar makes its noise, Buttercup's dedication to Bright, and heartwarming tone brings out such happiness that my eyes well.
  3. Grand Pear's apology to the Apple siblings. The pain and regret is so evident in his voice that Grand Pear turns into the show's most tragic character. The fact that he'll never be able to apologize to his daughter makes it more crushing.

Same, except for number 3. I liked the song so much! ^_^

Yes. Tears and liquid pride were all over the place.

I started getting misty eyed as soon as it got to Burnt Oak and Big Mac agreeing to exchange stories. At that part, the feels started hitting me. It kept getting worse until it got to the song, where I started crying for real. I finally managed to stop crying when it got to the apology, leading to another wave of tears that extended past the episode. 

That episode was pure tear-fuel. I loved it!

• Brohoof 3

I must admit, I a few silent tears did drop from my eyes because of this episode of a pastel horses cartoon for kids.

I just tend to be overly emotional over fictional characters and evens for some reason. At the same time, real life events rarely trigger any emotions in me.

There aren't a whole lost of episodes that really made me cry, but the ones the end up doing so usually end up being the most memborable. Episodes like "Tanks for the Memories," "Amending Fences," and "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" left their mark on me quite hard, but for good reasons. "The Perfect Pear" similarly hits me in the heart; albeit for a different numbers of reasons.

1. The pair felt genuine. Not only that, but their bond and ultimate love for each other felt real. We see plenty of married couples like the Cakes and Cadence & Shining Armor, but this is the first that really felt special. Their connection that started when they were young just felt so real and special, and it touched an emotional chord with me that I was not expecting. I think for me it ultimately represents something I wish to aspire to; that I can only hope to share such a bond with a special someone someday.

2. The moments like "Quiet You" and the song also hit a chord with me. It's little details like that that help build a relationship and do more than just seem cute.

3. Grand Pear's part was really tragic and like was mentioned earlier; he will never get the chance to apologize to his daughter.

4. The fond memories that Mrs. Cake, Mayor Mare, and Burnt Oak had also felt strong, and when they shared their memories, that water-works almost couldn't stop.

Watching this with @Jeric was special in it's own way; considering his experiences. It's something that I hope to aspire to one day, but until then, beautiful moments like that was presented in the episodes will still ring true.

• Brohoof 6

Nope, i used to watch dramas show like breakfast so i am kinda hard to cry ;) not enough guts punch to me. 

The part which hits me the hardest is Grand Pear character himself, he is most tragic character of the show now.

• Brohoof 1

Ok,  I'm not a huge AJ fan like at all!  So one on her parents did peek my interest given

the theories we have seen over the years from the fans about them.   The what happened?  Why they leave?  How did they meet? 

Such has been a thing for a while for us!  Now we got some answers,   it was a mix of themes of Romeo and Juliet/heart break/finding love/over coming events for that

love/regret/learning something about ourselves/forgiveness/a good song/and all the fluffy family feels! 

So yes, I got some feelings and the ending just hit a home run with the two trees of the family making a heart and two generations missing and loving in coming together.   Now we need a ep on: What happened to AJ's parents?

I honestly wish I did. I never cry because of romantic reasons, but death and farewells always get me. It's probably because I'm just a teen that doesn't understand love yet. Something I read here did hit me though:

9 hours ago, Dark Qiviut said:

The fact that he'll never be able to apologize to his daughter makes it more crushing.

I didn't think of that until I read it, so not having a clue kind of got me.

But, nonetheless it was a great episode.

• Brohoof 1