Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Did you cry during The Perfect Pear?

Dark Qiviut

I was pretty much misty eyed the whole episode, but the moment that really got me was at the end where the three kids confront Grand Pear about why he really returned to Ponyville. Think about it. He returned to get to know his his grand kids better because he is NEVER going to get a chance to fully get rid of the guilt. Why? Pear Butter is dead. He will never be able to apologize to her or make amends. It is imo, the most tragic moment of the whole show.

• Brohoof 4

Nop. I personnaly teared up a bit (and tear up even when I rewatch them) during Crusaders of the Lost Mark and Tanks for the memories but The Perfect Pear didn't make me cry a bit. CofTLM was special because where was a lot of build up during all the previous seasons, so to see the CMCs finally get their cutie marks still give me a burst of joy in the form of blury eyes. And Tanks for the memories is just a very beautiful episode who is enjoyable and hit home pretty hard with it's moral when it aired because of personal reasons so it make me tear up. The last scene where Rainbow decide to stay to read a story to Tank always gets me. The fact that it was one of the best portrayal of Rainbow showing all of her range of emotions add up to a very great episode.

The perfect Pear on the other hand... not so much... The story was not very relatable for me, the plot was a bit cliché to begin with so I wasn't as invested as I can be in episodes sometimes and even all the subtle things to tell us that the parents are dead didn't really make me cry since it's a fact that was already confirmed two times so all the shock value was gone and I was already prepared to hear this fact in some form during this episode. It was sweet but it was way too late to the party to actually make me care enough to be emotional.

• Brohoof 1

Pear Butter: "Are you making me choose?"

Apple Bloom: "Then you came here because you're sorry and that you wanted to get to know us, too?"

Grand Pear: "I'm... so sorry. I-I-I was just so angry, and... well, I-I never..."

These lines, the song, and the tree got me. I haven't shed tears since Tanks For The Memories and Crusaders Of The Lost Mark.

• Brohoof 3

I didn't cry, it was close, but I got teary eyed.

The song, with the lyrics "and rain or shine, you'll always be mine."

And when Pear Butter asks, "Are you making me choose?" That broke my heart.

• Brohoof 2

Teared up like 4 times in the episode upon subsequent viewings. (FYI when I say worse, I mean the effect that causes the waterworks)

1. The song that Buttercup sang to Bright Mac. It was ridiculously cute and adorable. It reinforces how much the Apple parents loved each other. What makes it worse is the realization that the Apple parents are gone despite being such a cute couple in the show and how much love they showed each other and their strong devotion to their respective families.

2. When Grand Pear tears up and apologizes to the Apple siblings for leaving Ponyville. The tears almost began when Apple Bloom teared up and sympathetically says, "Then you came here to say you're sorry and you wanna get to know us too." That regret in Grand Pear's voice when he apologizes hit me like a brick wall. He felt deeply sorry for leaving the Apples (his family) and felt deep remorse for the time lost. It's even worse when you realize that many years have passed since the Pears moved out of Ponyville and that Buttercup has been gone for awhile. Grand Pear will not only never see his daughter again, but also will not be able to apologize and make up the time lost.

3. The last scene with the marriage pear/apple tree: The callback and strong use of symbolism cements the love that Buttercup and Bright Mac had for each other. What made it worse was the fact Apple Bloom states, "Mom and Dad left us something to remember them by." This statement not only confirms that the parents are gone, but also most likely that the parents will not be brought up again in the show. The scene left the audience stunned and was ended beautifully. I highly doubt that the MLP writing staff will devote another episode to the Apple parents because of how beautifully the scene ended (obviously they are probably gonna put hints/tidbits/references to the Apple parents, but I highly doubt another whole episode). This scene reconfirms the Apples/Pears' strong bond, love, and devotion to family (dem farmer ponies). What made it more power was the fact that it references the marriage scene when Grand Pear forces the ultimatum on Buttercup and forces her to choose between her love and her family. It was a difficult decision for her to choose, but in the end went with her heart.

4. The end credits song: it was sweet/cute/adorable/sad/powerful/humbling/emotional/everything. & then you realize or confirmed that Felicia Day and William Shatner were in the episode and were freaking talented and amazing.

• Brohoof 6

Not at all, love stories don't really make me feel anything so neither did the one in the episode.

not at all.

Sorry to sound heartless, but the forbidden love and super lovey dovey thing doenst do it for me. Plus i didnt like Buttercup. Bright Mac is a sweet guy though. 

I cried more when the CMC got their cutie marks. Maybe its because ive not got attached to the apple parents like with the CMC, so there wasnt as big of an effect on me? Wouldve been nice to maybe have a few episodes of flashbacks to the apple parents lives, maybe in the form of AJ finding a journal in the barn or something. Just some way we couldve seen more of them on their own as characters and not "gag" smoopie doo sweetums lovey dovey ICK. 

• Brohoof 2

I'm usually a huge softy. And up until this point there hadn't really been anything in Season 7 that made me cry. Yes, the episodes were good, yes, I enjoyed them (especially A Royal Problem) And when watching this episode for the first time I couldn't help it. Everything was just so sweet, and heartwarming, it was impossible for me not to. Even now, watching reactions and seeing fanart and seeing others talk about the same episode that I consider to be the best episode of the entire series, still gets me a bit teary eyed.

• Brohoof 2

This episode hit me harder than most. I went through a relationship with a similar premise, though of course there were some differences. It was relatable strongly on a personal level (without getting into too much detail). I can only hope we learn a little more about them in the future.

• Brohoof 2

Was the episode heartwarming? Absolutely.

Did it make me cry? No.

Well, I may have welled up a bit inside, but honestly, this show is kinda hard to cry to for me. MLP in general doesn't give me as much of an emotional reaction as, say, a drama movie. I'm more likely to cry when there's death involved rather than romance. And even though it's strongly implied AJ's parents are dead, MLP is just too lighthearted to make me cry, really, even during its most touching moments.

I swelled up with tears at the very end of the episode. I don't know if it was just that last scene. I think it was rather a culmination of the entire episode coming to a close, and just being really moved and impacted by the entire thing, though the apologies from Grand Pear and Granny Smith in particular, really tugged at the heart strings. I just loved the whole episode more than words can say. The only other episode to bring me anywhere close to tears before this episode was Pinkie Pride. For whatever reason I just don't cry much when watching the show because it tends to uplift me and fill me with joy, but this episode did that but still had just enough tearjerker moments to start the water works. :) 

• Brohoof 3

21 hours ago, StormBlaze said:

Plus i didnt like Buttercup.

That's an interesting statement. It is fine by me when a person doesn't like a certain character (and I usually understand it), but with Pear Butter I don't see anything off hand that the character did that would be problematic. I'm genuinely curious is to why you didn't like her. It doesn't sound as if it's a neutral take, was there something in the characters portrayal that you made you actually dislike her?

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

That's an interesting statement. It is fine by me when a person doesn't like a certain character (and I usually understand it), but with Pear Butter I don't see anything off hand that the character did that would be problematic. I'm genuinely curious is to why you didn't like her. It doesn't sound as if it's neutral, but more that there was something that you actually disliked about her. 

Maybe he doesnt like lovey dovey kind of couple ;)) 

1 hour ago, Lambdadelta said:

Certainly possible. There are plenty of people that simply aren't pulled in by romantic characters, or characters driven by romantic themes. This is just one of those times that my curiosity is piqued.  

2 hours ago, Jeric said:

That's an interesting statement. It is fine by me when a person doesn't like a certain character (and I usually understand it), but with Pear Butter I don't see anything off hand that the character did that would be problematic. I'm genuinely curious is to why you didn't like her. It doesn't sound as if it's a neutral take, was there something in the characters portrayal that you made you actually dislike her?

the only thing that made me like her character was the "are you making me choose" bit, but i dunno. I just didnt like her. Her design annoys me, her mane especially. Dont ask just bugs me as a design point for the Apple Mum. I guess I just dont like the teenage Buttercup. Give me some more episodes where they are older and have the foals to interact with, or maybe show me her adapting to living under Granny Smith's rules etc. 

I think its the episode that makes me not like her, she seems too sweet and all "tee hee" perfect and I dont like personalities like that sorry. As Sunset Shimmer says "people that chipper make me nervous". 

2 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

*ahem* for future, Stormblaze is a she, thanks. 

I dont know why people assume im a guy >.> 

Just now, StormBlaze said:

I think its the episode that makes me not like her, she seems too sweet and all "tee hee" perfect and I dont like personalities like that sorry. As Sunset Shimmer says "people that chipper make me nervous". 

Ah. Ok I understand. No need to apologize, and it makes sense.

It actually brings to mind something that I heard about remembering the deceased. A warning of sorts. There is a habit that people have were they place a dead loved one on a pedestal, ignoring flaws. Considering the framing device of the story -- third parties telling a story -- it stands to reason that they would not showcase any character flaws when explaining it to the Apple siblings.

It's something I've experienced myself, and the unreliable nature of perspective and bias has been used to highlight how characters misinterpret scenes. A good example of that is Spike giving the Fire Ruby to Rarity. Part of that scene in Secret of My Excess was through Spike's own skewed perception of events. 

Either way, you explanation does make sense to me at least. 

• Brohoof 1