Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Did you cry during The Perfect Pear?

Dark Qiviut

Just now, Mirage77 said:

I'm very sorry to hear about that man. Getting caught in the middle like that can be hard - its like, you want to fix it, but there's probably nothing you can do. Family fights are just the worst! But the episode pretty much points out the only solution - humility and forgiveness - with humility being the highest possible achievement of our intellect.

But like you can see, that comes when they are very old, but I'm afraid my grandma for example dies, and the fued is never erased. :rarity:

(1200)

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Hierok said:

But like you can see, that comes when they are very old, but I'm afraid my grandma for example dies, and the fued is never erased. :rarity:

(1200)

There's always a possibility of healing, but it has to happen indirectly, much like the show reveals. The key is being there when it matters. If Applebloom, AJ and Big Mac never tried to learn something, they would have never approached Grand Pear - and Grand Pear, perhaps wisely, didn't impose himself on them. He allowed his grandchildren to welcome him first. That to me displays stunning humility and patience.

Seize the day - be ready and open hearted. This is how I cope.

• Brohoof 1

On 6/23/2017 at 0:11 AM, Dark Qiviut said:

The fact that he'll never be able to apologize to his daughter makes it more crushing.

Damn it, man, I didn't even think of that! Oh man, I can feel the waterworks again. 

What just a fantastic episode this was all the way through.

On 15-8-2017 at 7:52 AM, SolyWack said:

Damn it, man, I didn't even think of that! Oh man, I can feel the waterworks again. 

What just a fantastic episode this was all the way through.

It was very touching indeed. Especially the song and tree. 

I didn't cry the first time watching the episode, but I think that's just because I was too busy taking everything in.  The second time I watched it I was crying my head off for about the last five minutes, from the end of the wedding scene through the very end.  I don't cry nearly that much rewatching it now, but my eyes do almost always start watering up to some extent, if not outright crying, at some point, if not during "You're In My Head Like a Catchy Song," then during Grand Pear's reunion with his grandchildren and the final scene of the episode.

As a side note, I also was balling for the second half of my own review of "The Perfect Pear"; that's not me trying to be egocentric or anything, it's just when I read through the whole thing, I wasn't prepared for how much emotion I'd put into all of it, and by the time I got to the second half, I was tearing up like crazy.

• Brohoof 1

Since it was a boring G-rated Romeo and Juliet, nope.

I wish we'd get an entire season dedicated to the shenanigans of the parents of the Mane 6 30-50 years before the start of the series and more story for Celie and Lulu.

4 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Romeo and Juliet

Um

4 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

nope

There. Fixed it. 

Those that have compared this to Romeo and Juliet don't understand that play, and since they are looking at Perfect Pear through that imperfect lens, have a distorted view of the episode -- regardless of whether they liked the episode or not. 

Class? Can anyone tell me what critical components of the Shakespearean play were missing in episode? How does that impact the thematic undertones? What did Perfect Pear do different than R&J that ultimately makes it unique? 

class_is_in_session_by_slipsketch-d5umx9

Class is in session!

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Class? Can anyone tell me what critical components of the Shakespearean play were missing in episode? How does that impact the thematic undertones? What did Perfect Pear do different than R&J that ultimately makes it unique? 

Class is in session!

>_> zzzzzzzzzzzz :blink: Huh, what?!

Uh I left my book at home! I didn't know there would be a test! :wacko: I DIDN'T STUDY!!!

But......uh....well (9th Grade English memories don't fail me now):

The lovers in question while "star-crossed" did not meet one night and proclaim love for each other. R&J thought with just their hearts. Pear and Bright thought with their heart and brain not just following each other's leads blindly.

Their lives supposedly did not end because they felt alone without each other. Unlike the Capulets and Montagues who we are meant to dislike because their selfishness lead to the downfall. Grand Pear is a tragic character worthy of sympathy. Same with Granny Smith who accepts their decision BEFORE the ultimate downfall. The Caps and Montys try to earn your sympathy after the worst. They never deserved it because really...

In R&J no one except side characters like Mercutio and Friar Lawrence is likeable because Shakespeare wanted to show all the negatives of the situation and the poor decisions by everyone affected. Just watching the Perfect Pear....yep still likeable because it wasn't about the fued it was about the romance and the characters!

Huff...huff...huff

Done! :lie: (maybe I can still pass the class with some extra credit)

WHAT I LEARNED IN PERFECT PEAR IS...:scots: (nope can't think of it)

:pinkie:WAIT I GOT IT!

WHAT I LEARNED IN PERFECT PEAR IS...HOW TO.CRY.:adorkable:

Edited by KH7672
Yes, extra credit achieved
  • Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Since it was a boring G-rated Romeo and Juliet, nope.

Yeahhhhhhhh... this comparison needs to stop.  I'm not calling out you specifically, Nth, you're not the first person to make this comparison for this episode.  People who both disliked AND liked the episode have been making it and it's driving me CRAZY!!! :love:  Building off of what Jeric said...

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Those that have compared this to Romeo and Juliet don't understand that play, and since they are looking at Perfect Pear through that imperfect lens, have a distorted view of the episode -- regardless of whether they liked the episode or not. 

Class is in session!

Oo, oo, oo, teacher, pick me, pick me, pick m- wait, this is the Internet, I can just say something whenever I want. :sunbutt:

Anyways, "The Perfect Pear" is not only NOT a rehashing of Romeo and Juliet, it is actually SUPERIOR as both a romance and a tragedy to Romeo and Juliet (oh yeah, we're going there)!  I'm gonna draw a few selections from my massive review of the episode to prove this point...

"The family feud is an old story trope in much of literature (it's also something we even observe in history quite a bit).  The most famous example in Western literature (at least the one most people probably think of first) would be "Romeo and Juliet," but I would argue it is not among the finest examples of a family feud in literature (and I would hardly be the only one to make such an assertion).  While the lesson is powerful and the tragic elements inherent to a family feud are there, there's not quite enough for us, the audience, to latch onto emotionally in regards to caring about the Capulets and Montagues.  Romeo and Juliet are teenagers who fall in love incredibly quickly and get married before they even really know what being in love for a lifetime truly is (and subsequently die before they know as well), and the only other supporting characters who we really are emotionally invested in in regards to the feud are Tybalt (Juliet's cousin) and Mercutio (who's not even a Montague, but just a close friend of Romeo) and they die before Romeo and Juliet even do.  By the end of the play, any characters we were sort of emotionally invested in are dead, the only truly likable one left is Friar Laurence, and there are no Capulets and Montagues left who we know enough about to really care about them, other than the fact that they just lost two young members of their families because of their bitter feud (whose roots we also don't know much of anything about).  The writing is certainly as poetic as anything Shakespeare wrote, and as I said before, the tragedy and powerful lesson are both there, but anyone who truly knows Shakespeare would never claim that "Romeo and Juliet" is his finest or most enduring work (even if it was their personal favorite)."

I'd say that right there is enough to prove my point.  "The Perfect Pear" does the exact opposite of almost every negative point I mentioned about Romeo and Juliet.  The Apples and Pears as a whole are likable, not just Bright Mac and Pear Butter, which makes their feud all the more tragic; we actually know where the feud stems from; Bright Mac and Pear Butter spend years falling in love with each other and nurturing that love, making it far more believable, relatable, and appealing to the audience, not just the incredibly short amount of time that Romeo and Juliet take "falling in love" with each other as young teenagers at that (I would even argue their love wasn't fully developed in the slightest; as far as I'm concerned, they both die when they're still in the "smitten" stage, which can be a part of a loving romance, but it's a very early and undeveloped stage of it where raw emotions and passion are largely driving a couple's feelings for each other, and too much of the focus on their romance is placed on the forbidden nature of it, which isn't exactly appealing - for an example of how unappealing it is, a far more recent example of a romance (or rather a couple) where the focus is also on the forbidden nature of the romance rather than the romance itself is bucking Bella Swan with both Edward and Jacob in the Twilight series :yay:); beautiful things come out of Pear Butter and Bright Mac's love, not just a beautiful family, but ultimately overcoming the tragedy of the feud itself years later, even after they're gone, whereas in Romeo and Juliet the two families (which we already don't very much like to begin with) just kinda feel shitty about themselves by the end of that play for what their feud led to, but we have no idea what comes after that.

Again, I don't want to sound like we're dragging YOU in particular, Nth, for your point stated above; it's not just you, I've seen far too many people comparing this to Romeo and Juliet, and frankly doing that is both an insult to "The Perfect Pear" and gives too much credit to Romeo and Juliet. :orly:

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

>_> zzzzzzzzzzzz :blink: Huh, what?!

Uh I left my book at home! I didn't know there would be a test! :wacko: I DIDN'T STUDY!!!

But......uh....well (9th Grade English memories don't fail me now):

The lovers in question while "star-crossed" did not meet one night and proclaim love for each other. R&J thought with just their hearts. Pear and Bright thought with their heart and brain not just following each other's leads blindly.

Their lives supposedly did not end because they felt alone without each other. Unlike the Capulets and Montagues who we are meant to dislike because their selfishness lead to the downfall. Grand Pear is a tragic character worthy of sympathy. Same with Granny Smith who accepts their decision BEFORE the ultimate downfall. The Caps and Montys try to earn your sympathy after the worst. They never deserved it because really...

In R&J no one except side characters like Mercutio and Friar Lawrence is likeable because Shakespeare wanted to show all the negatives of the situation and the poor decisions by everyone affected. Just watching the Perfect Pear....yep still likeable because it wasn't about the fued it was about the romance and the characters!

Huff...huff...huff

Done! :lie: (maybe I can still pass the class with some extra credit)

WHAT I LEARNED IN PERFECT PEAR IS...:scots: (nope can't think of it)

:pinkie:WAIT I GOT IT!

WHAT I LEARNED IN PERFECT PEAR IS...HOW TO.CRY.:adorkable:

You touched on one of the big ones that BB also touches on below, the players in Perfect Pear are designed to be likeable. 

You also mentioned another biggie. Romeo and Juliet is (among other things) about the folly of poor judgement driven by immature emotions and piss poor motivations that never line up with anyone elses. Even Friar Lawrence is motivated more to end the feud than to unite loving couples. When everything is said and done, everyone has blood on their hands and only then they seem to give a crap. It is also implied that magisterial shame plays a role in the change of heart. It's hard to suggest true remorse when royalty is basically saying, "all of you are fucking assholes!"

Also ... that edit comment is gold! 

• Brohoof 2

21 hours ago, Jeric said:

Um

There. Fixed it. 

People from opposing families falling in love is all anyone cares about from that play, hence the comparison and why it's been parodied through all nine layers of Tartarus and back again over the years.

Sure, it's a fine episode, but I'm not gonna cry over a relationship that was only given 22 minutes to grow.

The main hype was "APPLE PARENTS!" which is what we've waited seven years for and this is something that should've happened a decade or more ago in-universe, since AJ's easily in her late twenties and she's only now asking about her parents?

Curse these ponies and their short attention spans.

You also missed the "G-rated" bit, which is probably why you're getting nitpicky about the comparison since most of what the play was about would fly over the head of the demographic audience this show was made for, so...

:P Relax

Edited by The Nth Doctor

• 3 weeks later...

I remember crying throughout certain parts of the episode. There were certain scenes that just got to me and were pretty emotional, in my opinion. Some of the scenes that made me cry were:

- Pear Butte'rs Song to Bright Mac. The song was simply beautiful and sweet. The song was a pretty good representation of how much the two truly loved each other. I also loved when they confessed their love to each other afterword. 

- When Grand Pear cried while apologizing to the Apple siblings. Just seeing Grand Pear tearing up was disheartening. You just seem to understand his pain and how he feels. I teared up when realizing that he was unable to apologize to his daughter and son-in-law.

- When Grand Pear forced Pear Butter to choose between staying or leaving. I cried along with Pear Butter as she made that difficult choice. You just feel like crying and joining in the group hug, after seeing her being comforted by Bright Mac and Granny Smith.

- When Big Mac asks Burnt Oak to share more stories of his dad sometime. Just seeing the tears in Burnt Oak's eyes can really get to you. I also relate to Big Mac in that scene. I recently lost my dad and I worry that I might forget him. Hearing stories from my mom, grandfather and my dad's friends makes me glad to hear those stories. When I re-watched this episode, I felt like I could somehow understand how Big Mac felt and what he was going through. 

- When the apple family and Grand Pear went to see the Apple/Pear Tree. I teared up when the siblings showed the tree to Granny Smith and Grand Pear. It really showed how strong the love and bond the parents had for one another. I also teared up as the apples and Grand Pear joined in group hug. It really showed how strong the family bond was at the end of the episode. 

• 3 years later...

I would have! I just think it should have been more obvious that they died, or how they died for me to start crying. Other than that, I really like the song which almost made me cry

• Brohoof 1

I teared up a little at the part where Grand Pear says something like, “I'm so sorry; I was just so angry,” because the delivery of the line felt like, well, the feeling you’d expect to have if you were to disown your daughter and then discover years later that she’d died. 

I didn't the first time I watched The Perfect Pear, but the second time around I did have tears in my eyes as the end credits rolled. It's such a beautiful episode.

On 8/24/2017 at 4:07 AM, akechi said:

No, cause I didn't watch it. But if I did, I might have.

Why haven't you watched it?

I cry at anything and this episode was no exception. I actually bawled if not at least teared up at multiple points :(

Seeing Big Mac stay behind to ask Burnt Oak if they could come back and hear more stories about their dad just gets me so hard. He says 'they' but I feel like you can tell it's mostly for him. He would have spent the most time with Pear Butter and Bright Mac being the oldest so he probably had a more developed relationship with his dad giving him the most to miss. 

The song is just so sweet you can't help but tear up a little, and then it gets in your head for the rest of the week! Still it just beautifully evokes her feelings for Bright Mac and lays them all out for you; you feel like you've learned everything there is to know about their relationship in such a short time. 

I would also say that Grand Pear's confession to the Apple kids just hits me the hardest. It's surprising that they can make you feel so sympathetic for a character who's been portrayed as the villain for most of the episode. The delivery of 'I was just so angry' packs such a punch and every time I hear it I just want to breakdown with him. 

• Brohoof 1