Is Zelda an RPG?

ZethaPonderer

Is Zelda an RPG?  

10 users have voted

1. 1. Yes, No, Maybe?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

For an RPG enthusiast such as myself, I say nay. However, I understand the reason for why Zelda fans love to debate to RPG fans about this. Because Zelda challenged the definition of what an RPG is defined by looking at the legacy of DnD, Ultima, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest.

Based on what I've come to understand, Link cannot get strong by killing enemies. He can kill the same enemy, but will NEVER get strong unless you're playing Zelda 2 which is already a black sheep among the franchise.

With RPGs like Dragon Quest 1 for example, I can kill the same slime enemy (1 EXP and 1 Gold) and will eventually get strong. Yes it's repetitive and incredibly time consuming, but that's the idea behind what RPGs generally have the inevitable problem. The Repetition. Theoretically, through level grinding, RPGs incite a repetitive way to make your characters strong.

This is not the case at all with the majority of the Zelda series as they involve Link collecting items and powerups to make him strong. So technically, the removal of level grinding is what mystifies me about Zelda as its more about the adventure and making progress throughout the game solving various puzzles to make Link strong. You have to progress throughout the game via collecting items to make Link strong, which is definitely NOT the case at all for RPGs since you can fight the first enemy you encounter and ONLY that first enemy to level grind and get strong in the most repetitive, mind numbing, torturous way possible.

If Zelda fans are still persisting to classify it as an RPG, then I say classify it as 'Zelda' because Zelda is not an RPG... it's Zelda.

Or that the term RPG has been finally challenged and is no longer applicable anymore. So a new terminology has to be concocted to define these genres on a respectable manner.

No, it has RPG elements, but so do many other games nowadays

At it's core, it's an adventure game first and foremost  

• Brohoof 2

It's an adventure game that has RPG elements though Zelda II: The Adventure of Link could be classified as a unique RPG. I also remember one time back in 1998 where Nintendo of America once declared Ocarina of Time as an RPG on their website.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, The Undefeated of the Weast said:

No, it has RPG elements, but so do many other games nowadays

At it's core, it's an adventure game first and foremost  

I see your line of reasoning, and respect it perfectly well. ;) I've seen many Zelda fans that would go out of their way to define the franchise just as much of an RPG like the aforementioned titles I mentioned.

So, in perspective the way how I've come to understand RPGs is this, "If I can't kill the same enemy over and over again to accumulate experience to get strong in the most repetitive and mundane fashion then its not an RPG". Granted its an incredibly one-sided way of looking at it, but that's how I've seen most RPGs function in this way.

It may be one RPG element, but its such a crucial difference that a lot of fans from both sides overlook when discussing this legendary video game debate. :) 

However, Zelda is so fundamentally different from RPGs that it crushes the terminology and bends it sideways making the terminology pretty much archaic and useless. The enemies are for the most part obstacles that Link must overcome throughout his adventure. Deep down it's more of an Adventure-Puzzle game to me that has stood the test of time.

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I think the closest thing Zelda has gotten to a RPG, is the heart collection. Other than that, I can't call it an RPG >_>

That might explain the initial confusion as if its an illusion in the game where it makes you want to think Link is getting strong, but he collected an item to get strong. It's quite alluring and elusive if you think about it. :) 

The Legend of Zelda franchise of videogames does not count as an RPG series since the most important aspect of RPG gameplay mechanics, ergo the ability to level up and increase statistic elements, is completely absent.

• Brohoof 1