Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was The Perfect Pear worth waiting for?

Stickman, The Legend

Opinions  

49 users have voted

1. 1. Was this the perfect bring-around for Hard to Say Anything?

• No, this is the same stupid level as Hard to Say Anything.
    • Yes, this actually was so much better than Hard to Say Anything.
    • It was fine.
  2. 2. Did you cry at the end?

• No, I was a manly brony! (Insert Dustykatt saying something here)
    • Yes, tears went-a flowin'!
  3. 3. Do you think there's more loose ends to tie up thanks to this episode?

• No, I think all the loose ends are tied up in Applejack's saga.
    • Yes, I think there's more than what we're seeing here. Damn it, Hasbro, REVEAL!

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

I think the term you are looking for is bittersweet. Indeed, bittersweet endings have the joy of a happy ending and the sad emotional connection of sad endings in one package :fluttershy:

YES! Bittersweet! Holy crap I couldn't think of the word for the life of me. XD That is the perfect description for this episode, especially the ending. It is one of those things where I love the fact that it is able to make me feel sadness.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Before I say anything... Hard to say anything was fine too. ;)

I think it was one of the best episodes of season 7. I like to get information in an upcoming episode about what happemed to their parents. Why did they die? And most importantly, how? Stuff like that. And missed it in this episode. I wanted it to be a really sad and beautiful episode, which it kinda for succeeded.

Definitly a episode worth waiting for!

Edited by Hierok

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

YES! Bittersweet! Holy crap I couldn't think of the word for the life of me. XD That is the perfect description for this episode, especially the ending. It is one of those things where I love the fact that it is able to make me feel sadness.

I just hope the series finale aims for something like this too. It may be sad, but it'll feel like a good final goodbye for our beloved horses :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, it was the fourth episode I enjoyed in a row, so it's not like it broke a big drought or anything. But this streak of episodes from "A Royal Problem" through "The Perfect Pear" made sitting through the rest of season 7 start to feel worth it, and I'll feel a lot less bad about this season if this streak of quality continues. 

39 minutes ago, Stickman, The Legend said:

Don't jinx it! :o

I prefer a bittersweet goodbye rather than a bitter feeling of leaving the show because it got so bad >_>

• Brohoof 1

it was very much worth it! its now my favourite episode :D but yeah I cried a lot by the end of the ep, it was so sweet and heartwarming (and sad)

though... it gives some closure about their parents, but like everypony else said, what happened to them? and how old are they supposed to be during AJ's time?

• Brohoof 2

This episode was beyond beautiful. I hadn't cried so hard since my Grandparents died. It was definitely worth waiting for. I loved how they really paid attention to the small details in this one, like the Mayor's dyed hair, how Cup Cake, being married, obviously isn't her maiden name. The one I really loved was how Bright Mac had a voice similar to Braeburns, instead of sounding like his son (which I feel was kind of a cop-out the used for the Sparkle parents). It actually reminded me of my own family, where my cousins and I sound more like our deceased uncle than we do our fathers. 

• Brohoof 2

Just now, CT-1138 said:

This episode was beyond beautiful. I hadn't cried so hard since my Grandparents died. It was definitely worth waiting for. I loved how they really paid attention to the small details in this one, like the Mayor's dyed hair, how Cup Cake, being married, obviously isn't her maiden name. The one I really loved was how Bright Mac had a voice similar to Braeburns, instead of sounding like his son (which I feel was kind of a cop-out the used for the Sparkle parents). It actually reminded me of my own family, where my cousins and I sound more like our deceased uncle than we do our fathers. 

Good to know, that's really sweet :D

Absolutely it was worth the wait. Definitely has to be one of the top episodes of the season. I'm glad the only thing spoiled to me about it was that "t's sad".

Being totally caught off guard about the plot of the episode was... an experience. And I think going in blind made it even more enjoyable. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hands down one of the best episodes of the whole show, in my opinion at least! Just....wow. Absolutely worth the wait and yes manly tears were shed, I have no shame in admitting that. Beautiful story. Loved the song too! That was when the waterworks really started for me...and the ending was just....very bittersweet. :( I am still curious about exactly what happened to Bright Mac and Pear Butter and hope more will be revealed one day.

Edited by DragonFlyer
  • Brohoof 3

On 6/28/2017 at 0:37 PM, Stickman, The Legend said:

DON'T JINX IT *Furious*

He has a valid point. When this iteration of show ends, and it will, a nostalgic bittersweet goodbye would be appropriate for the fans that have invested so much time and emotions into the experience of the show and fandom. If the finale is as good as Perfect Pear, I'll be pleased. I'm reminded of a line or quote somewhere. Can't place it so I'll paraphrase ... 

"I do not fear death, but await his arrival like one who waits patiently for an old friend."

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

It really was.

With how much people have been saying the episode was really good after the leak, I was afraid I was going to be disappointed, but the episode manages to live up to the hype.

It is my favorite episode of season 7 and now one of my favorites of the entire show.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, cmarston1 said:

It really was.

With how much people have been saying the episode was really good after the leak, I was afraid I was going to be disappointed, but the episode manages to live up to the hype.

It is my favorite episode of season 7 and now one of my favorites of the entire show.

It is a great episode, whose emotional impact was increased by the fact you are hearing the story at the same time as their orphaned children, and then there is that song... oh, the feels.....

Not going to say it is my favorite, as it is uncomfortable to watch again, but it's a great episode.

Definitely. It really brought across a lot of emotions that other shows tend to shy away from, like the hatred that Granny Smith felt for Grand Pear, and that scene where Pear Butter gave up her relationship with her grandfather, and Granny Smith's understanding, if not motherly reaction towards her as a result was heart-wrenching. Even better was the reaction to seeing the perfectly-entwined apple and pear trees, symbolising the love that they held for each other, and finding out about all of this alongside their children was particularly powerful.

Even so, I'd like them to explore their married lives and family life with the Apple siblings when they were foals and their parents were still around. Also, while I know that it's unlikely to happen because this is technically a show that's aimed at children, I'd like them to explore their deaths in a sensitive manner, as well. As it is, it feels as though much of their lives, and their deaths, are still a mystery.

• Brohoof 2

This episode was definitely worth it for me. A beautiful episode, both heartwarming and tear-jerking, and I'm sure a lot of Bronies will be talking about it for a good long time.

For the record, I like Hard to Say Anything, it was a cute, good episode, but The Perfect Pear is something special, it is one of those episodes that you show someone who doubts MLP, it is an episode that anyone, not just fans or curious people, will love.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yes, this episode was more than worth the wait.  This is one of those times where you know the DHX crew has not only paid attention to what the fandom wants, but probably known for years we've wanted to find out about the Apple siblings' parents.  I won't dignify "Hard to Say Anything" with any kind of comparison to "The Perfect Pear," because I think it'd be bucking insulting to compare the worst episode of the show to the best episode of the show.

I definitely cried, which I went into far more detail in the "Did you cry during "The Perfect Pear"" thread, but as for if there are anymore loose threads, I don't think so.  That doesn't mean I don't think we'll keep learning more about the Apples (heck, I wouldn't be surprised if more happens with the Pear Family as well), nor that I don't think we could learn more about Bright Mac and Pear Butter or even never see them again.  They could very well show up in more flashbacks, it would mostly hinge on (1) getting Felicia Day to come back and (2) using them sparsely and for good reason, since we don't just want them showing up willy nilly.  If they do ever show up in anymore flashbacks, though, DHX also can't try to match or surpass "The Perfect Pear" in doing so; there's simply no point in trying to do that.  It could still be emotionally powerful if they reappear in an episode featuring them in flashbacks, but what happened in "The Perfect Pear" was a singular moment in the Apple siblings' lives in which they learned about one of the most important things to happen to their parents in their own lives.  Pretty much impossible to top that in terms of emotional power.

On 8/5/2017 at 3:24 PM, EightBit said:

Also, while I know that it's unlikely to happen because this is technically a show that's aimed at children, I'd like them to explore their deaths in a sensitive manner, as well. As it is, it feels as though much of their lives, and their deaths, are still a mystery.

Honestly, I don't need them to explore that.  While I understand some people not being satisfied not knowing how they died, this to me was a powerful treatment of their deaths because of how much their absence is felt in the episode, and what we're 99% certain is behind that absence.  But at the same time, the episode wasn't about their loss, even if that loss hovers in the background the entire time; it's a celebration of their life and the beautiful way they lived and loved each other and their family, and all that their love brought into the world, which more than anything else makes their deaths resonate so powerfully as a truly sad, terrible thing.  Me?  I don't need to know how they died after that, the fact that they're dead is more crushing than learning how they died, and somehow this episode was still more uplifting than sad despite all that, it's just that beautiful and did such a phenomenal job showing how strong and beautiful their love was.

• 1 month later...

Only real gripe now is that we see the Apple Siblings hanging out with Burnt Oak and other friends of the family as background elements in other episodes which feels like a cop-out. I want more stories of the Apple parents. Or just more backstory for more parents - like where are Scootaloo's parents during everything that's been going on in Ponyville?

• 4 years later...

I really like this episode and I think it's one of the best of MLP:FiM

I was asking myself about their parents too before I watched this episode, but cause I watch all the MLP seasons in such a short time I'm not sure I can say I was really waiting for this episode. 

• Brohoof 1