Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hiding your powerlevel.

CastletonSnob

For those who don't know, "Hiding your powerlevel" means hiding the fact that you're a fan of something in public, such as anime.

Anyway, have you ever tried to hide the fact that you're a brony in public, or come close to people finding out? A couple of weeks ago, I was at Gamestop and I saw MLP plushies on clearance. I was really tempted to ask the guy behind the counter how much they were, but I didn't want people to know I was into MLP.

What has your experience been?

I used to be , but then I just stopped caring about the smaller things like purchasing or drawing pones in public...

Most folks are indifferent and the rest just think I'm buying something for my sister or niece. 

I still wouldn't wear MLP apparel though, I'd say that would be my limit. 

When my friend and I were still in school we used to refer to the characters in a weird code when discussing ideas. 

Twilight was 'The Librarian', Trixie was 'The Magician', and so on. 

Other than that I generally keep all of my pony related antics to the internet. 

Absolutely not! Never be ashamed of who you are or what you like.

All my girlfriends and friends who are girls make fun of me for it, but I'm not ashamed. For my bday, they got me a brony hoodie and a rainbowdash T shirt.

• Brohoof 3

I'm as public about being a fan of the show as any other franchise. I wear the occasional cap or tee (always with an open dress shirt). 

The only time I hid my fandom of anything was during a Dallas for a two week business trip where I made sure not to bring any Eagles stuff. It's my experience that fans of both teams can get a little vocal at times. ;)

• Brohoof 3

I don't care if people know I watch MLP, but there is something I don't admit to. I've been watching "Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot" on Comet TV. OMG, it's stupid, but in a sort of cool way. I'd rather not tell people about it in real life.

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I don't care if people know I watch MLP, but there is something I don't admit to. I've been watching "Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot" on Comet TV. OMG, it's stupid, but in a sort of cool way. I'd rather not tell people about it in real life.

Hide contents

Looks like the kind of thing that would be on MST3K. Funny, because both MST3K and this show are handled by Shout! Factory. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Looks like the kind of thing that would be on MST3K. Funny, because both MST3K and this show are handled by Shout! Factory. 

Have you ever watched the MST3K "Prince of Space"?

Spoiler

(edited)

Wait... are we still doing this? I mean in some areas it's not a bad idea for sure but it's been years since I really cared what people thought and no one seems to usually even in Alabama. Half the shirts I own are con shirts so I sometimes wind up wearing those just because they're comfy and to piss off sports fans and other dudebros. Also I own basically no casual tees besides pony shirts and black/death metal band shirts so it's not like I have a GOOD choice to wear in these conservative parts lol.

A shirt is as far as I go in public though. Maybe a subtle SilverSlinger piece if feeling fancy. I used to be very afraid of what people thought back in like 2011 but I've never had a problem and only met people and other fans with such shirts, so without a bad experience I am a little biased. I'd not be afraid to wear more obvious pony stuff if I had a NEED to but I have never actually had a good reason to.

But I'd still never go completely full spaghetti and load myself down on the street with random merch in a place that isn't a con. Again, I just wouldn't see the benefit of doing so.

Edited by Equus
Adding more content because I suck
  • Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Have you ever watched the MST3K "Prince of Space"?

Reveal hidden contents

I was thinking more along the lines of Season 3 MST3K, because it had a lot of Japanese movies/shows. Time of the Apes, the Gamera movies, and Fugitive Alien.

It could also have fit in Season 2, because that season had the 2 Godzilla movies. 

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Season 3 MST3K, because it had a lot of Japanese movies/shows. Time of the Apes, the Gamera movies, and Fugitive Alien.

It could also have fit in Season 2, because that season had the 2 Godzilla movies. 

"Prince of Space" IS a Japanese movie.

3 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

"Prince of Space" IS a Japanese movie.

I know.

And to answer your question, I think Prince of Space was one of the first episodes of MST3K I ever watched.

• Brohoof 1

Now when I'm out in public and I see something MLP related I just take a good look at it from a distance. But because I'm extremely clever I won't look at it for longer than 3 seconds so I don't get my parents attention over it. :) 

(edited)

I have never cared what people thought about my being an MLP fan, or any of my other fandoms either. I love what I love and I am who I am. I don't expect others to change their interests because of me and I won't do it for others. I like MLP, it's cool and that's that. Some of my favorite clothing items have MLP or Star Wars or other examples of my interests emblazoned across them. I'm not going to stop wearing these great outfits for anyone. They're just too awesome. :proud:I wear my interests out in the open, I'm just made that way. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit

I only talk about it when I need to, but I'm not closed about it at all.

Since my friends probably think that I've already lost interest in the show by now, I've started to hide the interest again since we often even joke about our embarrassing pony stuff of the past. It very likely sounds hypocritical to laugh at something you actually like but it's my way of hiding the fact that I still like the show (and the fandom too on some extent). So yes I definitely hide my liking to ponies but I can't see it as a bad thing though. :sunbutt: To me it's better to hide it than have people commenting about it.

Never once cared if people know I am a fan of any show, especially this one. If someone in public did care, then to hell with them. From the moment I got my first MLP shirt, I have been completely apathetic in what others think of me in this regard.

• 10 months later...
(edited)

I've always hidden that i like mlp only one of my friends now that i do and the rest of them hate bronies and think they're cringy which is why it's crucial that i hide it

Edited by Crow2

7 minutes ago, Crow2 said:

I've always hidden that i like mlp only one of my friends now that i do and the rest of them hate bronies and think they're cringy which is why it's crucial that i hide it

Be careful with that

• Brohoof 1

HAHA, not even. If hiding the fact you're a fan of MLP is like the DBZ heroes concealing their power levels, then I'm the DBZ villain who casually lets my power level hang for the whole cast to be intimidated by.

In short, everyone around me knows I like MLP. Everyone.