Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do ponies call other languages?

Night Terror

(edited)

So as I was writing something recently I came across a block in my flow, this block came in the form of not knowing what languages are called in the MLP verse. 

Can anypony here think of or direct me to the most 'offical' names of these languages? 

Note: The ones I am looking for are Latin and Greek, anything else is just a nice tid bit for future reference. 

At a dead end I decided to take a more etymological route.

So the word Latin is derived from the word Latinus, which means "of Latium"

But then in this case you would need to have a pony name for Lazio as that is the ancient name of Latium.

Edited by Night Terror
  • Brohoof 2

I might sound boring but I don't really think there would be a difference. They mentioned real places before, and I doubt they'd call any real languages anything else. I do like your creativity though.

Maybe I can go Etymology Sherlock? And just trace all European langauges in MLP that have a mlp name and break them down and try to make one for Latin and/or Greek.

For a pony equivalent to Latin, might I suggest "Lipizzatin" after the Lipizzan horse breed? Sort of like Appleloosa/Appaloosa, know what I mean?

As for Greek, though... I've got nothing.

Just now, Prospekt said:

For a pony equivalent to Latin, might I suggest "Lipizzatin" after the Lipizzan horse breed? Sort of like Appleloosa/Appaloosa, know what I mean?

As for Greek, though... I've got nothing.

Rather equine take on it and better than anything I've had so far :P

• Brohoof 1