Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Movie Trailer

PinkiePie97

Just now, AlexanderThrond said:

I knew not to get my hopes up, because I really doubt this movie will have anything I care about... but god, it's just so noisy. Didn't get that many laughs, and I really  dislike the action focus. But, I dunno, I should have expected it would be action-heavy just from what we'd seen before. Also, while I know there's precedent in My Little Pony past, having basically a mermaid kingdom strikes me as awfully unimaginative; I still can't shake the feeling that everything here must have been focus tested within an inch of its life. Freaking anthropomorphic cat...

And I don't like the new art style at all. It's so glossy, and the CG backgrounds look almost plasticky. I don't want to overstate it, but the blend of 3D and 2D doesn't really look right, and I definitely feel that it looks worse than the show proper. The characters sorta look pasted onto the backgrounds to me. The flash animation of Equestria Girls wasn't perfect on the big screen, but I don't think this blend is the solution. 

Most irritating is how they credit all the big guest stars instead of the actual main cast. I know this movie is made for a wider audience, but man, they really have no confidence in the brand, huh? 

I dunno, maybe this trailer is edited to seem more frantic than the movie actually is, but this doesn't do much to assuage my worst fears. Not expecting much. 

Everyone says this, and Hasbro just always seems to blow every brony away. Keep your hopes up, Alex. There could be a turn around when the movie actually comes out.

Somehow, Storm King's brief appearance in the trailer reminds me of Hades from Disney's Hercules.

It's kinda refreshing to see a villain in this series with a comedic side. For a show that relies a lot on humor, there's been only one comedic villain up to this point — and Discord's also one of the darkest.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
Just now, Dark Qiviut said:

Discord's also one of the darkest.

Explain when Discord was dark. Speaking of Discord, where in the yay is he in this?! Since he's working on the ponies's side, shouldn't he be in the film too? What is he doing, chillin' back while he watches his best friend (Fluttershy) go off on what could be a dangerous adventure?

Edited by Stickman, The Legend

Just now, Stickman, The Legend said:

Explain when Discord was dark.

1. Discord was able to emotionally manipulate five of the Mane Six, Twilight the one who was broken down inch by inch to the point where her self-confidence completely crumbled.
  2. Discord's world was total chaos. Nothing made sense. As a villain, he had no fixed goal; if he gets bored, he can change the landscape, physics, and physics in a heartbeat whether you like it or not.
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Dark Qiviut said:
  1. Discord was able to emotionally manipulate five of the Mane Six, Twilight the one who was broken down inch by inch to the point where her self-confidence completely crumbled.
  2. Discord's world was total chaos. Nothing made sense. As a villain, he had no fixed goal; if he gets bored, he can change the landscape, physics, and physics in a heartbeat whether you like it or not.

He still ended up being a reformed villain and likeable character, and yes, I do admit Discord's World is confusing.

I watched it three times, and can't wait. The animation seemed to fit something like this, and I like how it still feels like the show. Another thing is having all the characters too, including an appearance of Starlight Glimmer in one part. I really can't wait to see it, though unfortunately it will probably be a while since at that time I will have no way to see it.

(edited)

I liked it.  True , not many may agree with the animation style or the action scenes showcased in this trailer, but still I think it did it's job.  I mean if you want to look at it from a different perspective , look at it as original film not connected to anything, like say the "An American Tail" theatrical film , and perhaps it may change your outlook on it.  But overall, again I liked it, and I believe it did it's job to draw a wider aduenice in to go and check it out on 10/6/2017. I know I will try.

Edited by bwrosas

I'm not expecting it to win any awards. I do expect it to be fun! As long as I get a fun experience, I'll give it a thumbs up!

Plus, I counted how many of the new characters had their VA named: 8

24 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I knew not to get my hopes up, because I really doubt this movie will have anything I care about... but god, it's just so noisy. Didn't get that many laughs, and I really  dislike the action focus. But, I dunno, I should have expected it would be action-heavy just from what we'd seen before. Also, while I know there's precedent in My Little Pony past, having basically a mermaid kingdom strikes me as awfully unimaginative; I still can't shake the feeling that everything here must have been focus tested within an inch of its life. Freaking anthropomorphic cat...

And I don't like the new art style at all. It's so glossy, and the CG backgrounds look almost plasticky. I don't want to overstate it, but the blend of 3D and 2D doesn't really look right, and I definitely feel that it looks worse than the show proper. The characters sorta look pasted onto the backgrounds to me. The flash animation of Equestria Girls wasn't perfect on the big screen, but I don't think this blend is the solution. 

Most irritating is how they credit all the big guest stars instead of the actual main cast. I know this movie is made for a wider audience, but man, they really have no confidence in the brand, huh? 

I dunno, maybe this trailer is edited to seem more frantic than the movie actually is, but this doesn't do much to assuage my worst fears. Not expecting much. 

I mean it's a trailer. It's more for general audiences since they already know the fans of the show will see it anyways. 

The animation will definitely take some time getting used to but I suppose it does make sense considering there is a much larger budget this time around. Again, it would have been nice had the regular voice cast been given proper recognition, but the celebrity voice talent getting the only credit is meant to promote the hype.

It was a decent trailer but the ball is in Hasbro's court when it comes to movies. As far back as the 1980s, their movies haven't been all that successful financially and have even been critically panned, but perhaps this movie will be one of the few that actually goes against this trend and proves successful. They just need to remember not to allow the toy line to dictate how things go. The movie itself must lead the way and the toy line has to follow along in a supporting role.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, joshyang908 said:

Still not used to the animation. Honestly, it doesn't look that appealing, BUT the MLP writing staff just loves to prove me wrong when I watch.

But dat world building. If they do the movie really well, MLP FIM may not ever end due to the possibilities of the storylines and characters.

51 minutes ago, Stickman, The Legend said:

I agree.

So do I, Stickman!

4 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

The animation will definitely take some time getting used to but I suppose it does make sense considering there is a much larger budget this time around. Again, it would have been nice had the regular voice cast been given proper recognition, but the celebrity voice talent getting the only credit is meant to promote the hype.

It was a decent trailer but the ball is in Hasbro's court when it comes to movies. As far back as the 1980s, their movies haven't been all that successful financially and have even been critically panned, but perhaps this movie will be one of the few that actually goes against this trend and proves successful. They just need to remember not to allow the toy line to dictate how things go. The movie itself must lead the way and the toy line has to follow along in a supporting role.

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

We'll have to wait and see, but it seems the part of the plot will focus on Tempest and Twilight.

Well can confirm Starlight cameo if nothing else.
Otherwise good trailer. Weird seeing Canterlot so… open for lack of a better word. I mean there was a lot of sky and empty space it seemed in the city shots, probably to show off their new budget and assets. Animation was super fluid, almost like they greased up all the characters in butter. Also nice to see they didn’t give away the plot, just maybe like the first third of it at best, like how the Mane 6 got away from the destruction of Canterlot.

So with the trailer in hand I think I can take a rough shot at the plot:
It’s a better Twilight’s Kingdom ;P

Okay but seriously here goes.
We open in Canterlot (which will represent all of Equestria in the movie) where Twilight Sprakle is preparing for a great celebration where her role as Princess is important. She’s stressing out about it, but no time to worry as Tempest Shadow strikes, crippling the capital in the name of the Storm King. The Mane 6 resist but are shot at by Tempest who means to destroy them but the Mane 6 are "somehow" protected and only get flung away form the city, leaving the rest of Canterlot at the mercy of Tempest and the Storm King. The Storm King arrives and sets up his B-plot of cut backs to the rest of ponykind under his rule, to show what is at stakes for the Mane 6. He sends Tempest Shadow out to hunt down the Mane 6 as they have a powerful source of magic. Regathering themselves, the Mane 6 are dishearten to see their home conquered and Twilight feeling especially responsible for it. The vow to go search for other allies to help them in their cause, first going to the seaponies, but running into pirates along the way. The Mane 6 try to get them to help but both parties say no, only looking out for themselves. Tempest finally catches up with the Mane 6 and catches Twilight, leaving the rest behind as Twilight is a Princess and the only real magic user in her opinion, or possibly that Twilight gives herself up to save her friends. Not caring about the odds, the Remane 5 go to storm the castle, despite what the Pirates and Seaponies are saying, the Remane 5 saying their not going to leave their friend behind, inspiring the people of both groups to join with them despite what their leaders say. Thinking he’s won, the Storm King prepares for his ultimate goal, taking over the world (of Course!) but is unable to as Twilight does not possess the magic he seeks. Then the Remane 5 and the seaponies + Pirates attack, taking Storm King unaware. The Remane 5 free everypony in Canterlot, and a massive battle ensues. Tempest takes on Twilight, who is constantly trying to talk her down, manages to do so, while the Storm King is finally defeated when the Mane 6 use the magic he was so desperate to get, the Magic of Friendship, against him, either imprisoned or banished, and Canterlot is soon restored thanks to the friends the Mane 6 made along their journey. Ends with everyone feeling great.

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I think part of the experience I is a new animation. Also its good they are reaching higher in the animation category. It should draw in more audience, and this feels slightly Lilo n Stitch to me but not quite. Like it has more slap-stick n the atmosphere n art direction of the villain slightly. That might actually be what they were going for considering they are going to be, under da sea and Lilo n Stitch was on an island. But maybe that's just me.