Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Movie Trailer

PinkiePie97

Just now, Sidral Mundet said:

So with the trailer in hand I think I can take a rough shot at the plot:
It’s a better Twilight’s Kingdom ;P

Okay but seriously here goes.
We open in Canterlot (which will represent all of Equestria in the movie) where Twilight Sprakle is preparing for a great celebration where her role as Princess is important. She’s stressing out about it, but no time to worry as Tempest Shadow strikes, crippling the capital in the name of the Storm King. The Mane 6 resist but are shot at by Tempest who means to destroy them but the Mane 6 are "somehow" protected and only get flung away form the city, leaving the rest of Canterlot at the mercy of Tempest and the Storm King. The Storm King arrives and sets up his B-plot of cut backs to the rest of ponykind under his rule, to show what is at stakes for the Mane 6. He sends Tempest Shadow out to hunt down the Mane 6 as they have a powerful source of magic. Regathering themselves, the Mane 6 are dishearten to see their home conquered and Twilight feeling especially responsible for it. The vow to go search for other allies to help them in their cause, first going to the seaponies, but running into pirates along the way. The Mane 6 try to get them to help but both parties say no, only looking out for themselves. Tempest finally catches up with the Mane 6 and catches Twilight, leaving the rest behind as Twilight is a Princess and the only real magic user in her opinion, or possibly that Twilight gives herself up to save her friends. Not caring about the odds, the Remane 5 go to storm the castle, despite what the Pirates and Seaponies are saying, the Remane 5 saying their not going to leave their friend behind, inspiring the people of both groups to join with them despite what their leaders say. Thinking he’s won, the Storm King prepares for his ultimate goal, taking over the world (of Course!) but is unable to as Twilight does not possess the magic he seeks. Then the Remane 5 and the seaponies + Pirates attack, taking Storm King unaware. The Remane 5 free everypony in Canterlot, and a massive battle ensues. Tempest takes on Twilight, who is constantly trying to talk her down, manages to do so, while the Storm King is finally defeated when the Mane 6 use the magic he was so desperate to get, the Magic of Friendship, against him, either imprisoned or banished, and Canterlot is soon restored thanks to the friends the Mane 6 made along their journey. Ends with everyone feeling great.

I can just imagine Silver-Quill writing a mad lib on this movie. But what you just said basically sums up what the movie might be in one big paragraph.

32 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

Upon reading the comments, there are already several edgelords who used the trailer to rage about bronies (in 2017 nonetheless), probably without watching the trailer.

Savage.

Was it the upload on Lionsgate's channel or Hasbro's? I initially posted the Lionsgate upload, but when I found out it was on Hasbro's channel, I replaced it with that. The only negative comments I saw there were about the trailer itself (although it could've changed since I checked and I wouldn't be surprised if a few trolls show up).

6 minutes ago, CuriUndersXeno said:

I think part of the experience I is a new animation. Also its good they are reaching higher in the animation category. It should draw in more audience, and this feels slightly Lilo n Stitch to me but not quite. Like it has more slap-stick n the atmosphere n art direction of the villain slightly. That might actually be what they were going for considering they are going to be, under da sea and Lilo n Stitch was on an island. But maybe that's just me.

I'm sure to enjoy the animation but I need some time to get used to the way it looks. After 6+ seasons, four Equestria Girls movies, and three EQG specials, I'm used to seeing MLP in a certain way yet now that way has been changed. If this is DHX's work, they really went overboard in ways none of us imagined. If it's a different company, then hopefully they are being advised by DHX. I still stand by what I said regarding how Hasbro intends on making this work and how previous movie projects didn't go over well.

• Brohoof 1

I feel meh about this trailer and few things.

Here's how I feel about the characters

Celaeno: Ponified Disney Character 

Tempest: Bad OC with dramatic backstory

Capper: Cat dysney styled

Storm King: I like the humour and is very alike Tirek

Sia: Mix Between Fluffle Puff and Rara. A bad character design overall

The Sea Ponies are fine

Here's my overall thoughts on the movie:

I recently watched RebelTaxi’s video on why Disney’s Hand drawn Animation department failed. In the video, Rebel spoke about how Cartoon based movies were everywhere on the early 2000s; Doug’s 1st movie, Jimmy Neutron’s Primer, the Rugrats trilogy, etc. As Rebel spoke I remember those days and went to thinking, “Oh no MLP is going the same route as Rugrats.” A successful franchise getting a theatrical film. I feel people seeing the poster and trailer are thinking those exact same thoughts; “Another TV cartoon film, ugh.” In this instance I fell it might flop at the box office; heck Batman: Mask the Phantasm suffered because of that mind thought.  Some cartoon based movies are still good even now. I recently re-watched the first SpongeBob film and its aged really well. So what I’m getting is that  there is a high likelihood  that its going to flop at box office because of the shadow the glooms over the type of movie MLP:FiM is, a theatrical movie based off TV cartoon.  So even with the trailer, I'm still a little bit doubtful. So maannny characters, I wounder how they are going to balance it in so little timeframe. Must mind you all this type of movie (cartoon TV theatrical movies) have between an 80-90 minute run time.

fred sanford animated GIF

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Well then, if you'll excuse me, I'll just be over in the corner having about two dozen heart attacks... BYE!!!

OK, OK, I do have real thoughts on this.  Pretty much all of this looks amazing, like something out of my wildest fanfiction dreams (heck, we're FINALLY going to get airship-to-airship combat, something which has been played around with in fanfiction, and I myself have wanted to play around with in fanfiction, and something I'm sure most bronies have wanted to see, FOR YEARS!!!), though I will admit that somepony skimmed out on the CGI for the airships.  Those look... kinda shitty, at least the first few shots of them did.  I'm not sure if they just haven't gone through their final polishing of them yet, but it was weird, they looked like something out of an early 2000s CG TV show on something like Kids WB, and it was even more bizarre looking alongside the rest of the GORGEOUS animation in the trailer, I mean, goodness gracious, that's some swanky animation everywhere else.  It does look a bit oddly floppy in some spots, in some aspects almost more cartoonish than the actual show looks, but that is nitpicking in the extreme.  Really, this just looks pretty bucking amazing and like it should be a great event for all of bronydom.  Do I think it'll be the high point of MLP and the fandom?  Nooooooooo, not even close, BUT it's a pretty awesome testament to what enough people doing something as simple as loving a TV show enough can lead to, and here's hoping that it's a truly memorable, amazing event for old and new bronies alike, heck, even people not in the fandom, in all the right ways!!! :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Was it the upload on Lionsgate's channel or Hasbro's? I initially posted the Lionsgate upload, but when I found out it was on Hasbro's channel, I replaced it with that. The only negative comments I saw there were about the trailer itself (although it could've changed since I checked and I wouldn't be surprised if a few trolls show up).

It was on the Lionsgate channel so it makes more sense, since the audience on that channel is the more general movie going audience.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, The Cynical Lone Wolf said:

I feel meh about this trailer and few things.

Here's how I feel about the characters

Celaeno: Ponified Disney Character 

Tempest: Bad OC with dramatic backstory

Capper: Cat dysney styled

Storm King: I like the humour and is very alike Tirek

Sia: Mix Between Fluffle Puff and Rara. A bad character design overall

The Sea Ponies are fine

Here's my overall thoughts on the movie:

I recently watched RebelTaxi’s video on why Disney’s Hand drawn Animation department failed. In the video, Rebel spoke about how Cartoon based movies were everywhere on the early 2000s; Doug’s 1st movie, Jimmy Neutron’s Primer, the Rugrats trilogy, etc. As Rebel spoke I remember those days and went to thinking, “Oh no MLP is going the same route as Rugrats.” A successful franchise getting a theatrical film. I feel people seeing the poster and trailer are thinking those exact same thoughts; “Another TV cartoon film, ugh.” In this instance I fell it might flop at the box office; heck Batman: Mask the Phantasm suffered because of that mind thought.  Some cartoon based movies are still good even now. I recently re-watched the first SpongeBob film and its aged really well. So what I’m getting is that  there is a high likelihood  that its going to flop at box office because of the shadow the glooms over the type of movie MLP:FiM is, a theatrical movie based off TV cartoon.  So even with the trailer, I'm still a little bit doubtful. So maannny characters, I wounder how they are going to balance it in so little timeframe. Must mind you all this type of movie (cartoon TV theatrical movies) have between an 80-90 minute run time.

Whats wrong with a dramatic backstory? Cliché I guess. Technically bat-man has a dramatic back-story too, I mean how can a villain's backstory be normal?

I agree with your thoughts on Capper if anything I am harsher on it lol.

Well you said it yourself, early 2000s alot of cartoon movies were hitting the box office, now theres just MLP so it might not be that bad, unless you count Pixar n everything. But I don't think theres a competitor scheduled around the same time is there?

Just now, CuriUndersXeno said:

Whats wrong with a dramatic backstory? Cliché I guess. Technically bat-man has a dramatic back-story too, I mean how can a villain's backstory be normal?

I agree with your thoughts on Capper if anything I am harsher on it lol.

Well you said it yourself, early 2000s alot of cartoon movies were hitting the box office, now theres just MLP so it might not be that bad, unless you count Pixar n everything. But I don't think theres a competitor scheduled around the same time is there?

Its coming out the same day as Blade Runner 2 starting Harrison Ford

The pony animation like looks fantastic, it's so fluid. The only thing I don't like is the 3D CG backgrounds. I've never really liked that when it comes to 2D productions.

The movie seems fun, but the trailer makes Equestria so pink and busy. It's a bit off putting,  and almost gives off that cheesy feeling the old series used to have.

The trailer wasn't bad, I just felt like there was too much obnoxious Pinkie.

And it's great to see MLP continue the tradition of sexy female villains.

ill be going opening night. 

(edited)
Spoiler

I didn't really like the computer generated airship but, other than that the trailer was really good, IMO.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, The Cynical Lone Wolf said:

There is admittedly an outside possibility that it flops, but here's why I don't think it will.  I too grew up in that early 2000s period, and here's what really worked against most of those TV shows adapted into movies at the time, at least the ones that flopped: lack of Internet fanbases as truly developed communities.  Keep in mind, Internet was still quite young at this time and fan communities, while not unheard of, we're largely limited to gathering at cons and being devoted to much older franchises.  The biggest developing young fanbase at the time was the Harry Potter one, and even that hadn't fully blossomed yet.  MLP:FiM's debut even marked a turning point in many ways; both it and Adventure Time (and in some ways Avatar: The Last Airbender's fanbase in its later seasons and definitely during Korra's run) were some of the first TV shows that really thrived because of the online communities of fans that quickly sprung up around them.  Lots of adults using the Internet were able to quickly realize that tons more like them were watching these shows, which in turn encouraged more teenagers and adults to give them a chance, and totally changed the game of how TV followings develop.  It's not just going to be kids convincing their parents to take them to this, groups of adults will quite willingly be seeing this movie.

So will it be a runaway success?  I really can't say, but I will say that it's fortuitous timing for it to release at the start of October.  While Blade Runner 2049 is releasing in the same week, both movies won't really be taking audiences from each other, they're too different; the biggest competition at the box office for My Little Pony: The Movie will be The LEGO Ninjago movie, but that'll be two weeks old already, even if I'm guessing it'll still be stiff competition.  We don't yet know the budget for the movie, but let's say that production and marketing costs end up somewhere in the $50 - $100 million range, if even that (which I think is a fair enough guess: LEGO Batman had an $80 million budget and Cars 3 had a $175 million budget, but I'd guess this cost less than LEGO Batman even).  It shouldn't need to make too much then to be profitable, especially if it's good; a solid opening weekend should do the trick especially.  The biggest risk is going to be how it does outside of North America as well as how critics go at it, considering we cannot expect that most of them have regularly watched this show, so this will probably be their first exposure to it; the fair ones will understand that they're jumping into a world that has been developing for seven years, the stupid ones won't and will complain that they're confused.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

There is admittedly an outside possibility that it flops, but here's why I don't think it will.  I too grew up in that early 2000s period, and here's what really worked against most of those TV shows adapted into movies at the time, at least the ones that flopped: lack of Internet fanbases as truly developed communities.  Keep in mind, Internet was still quite young at this time and fan communities, while not unheard of, we're largely limited to gathering at cons and being devoted to much older franchises.  The biggest developing young fanbase at the time was the Harry Potter one, and even that hadn't fully blossomed yet.  MLP:FiM's debut even marked a turning point in many ways; both it and Adventure Time (and in some ways Avatar: The Last Airbender's fanbase in its later seasons and definitely during Korra's run) were some of the first TV shows that really thrived because of the online communities of fans that quickly sprung up around them.  Lots of adults using the Internet were able to quickly realize that tons more like them were watching these shows, which in turn encouraged more teenagers and adults to give them a chance, and totally changed the game of how TV followings develop.  It's not just going to be kids convincing their parents to take them to this, groups of adults will quite willingly be seeing this movie.

So will it be a runaway success?  I really can't say, but I will say that it's fortuitous timing for it to release at the start of October.  While Blade Runner 2049 is releasing in the same week, both movies won't really be taking audiences from each other, they're too different; the biggest competition at the box office for My Little Pony: The Movie will be The LEGO Ninjago movie, but that'll be two weeks old already, even if I'm guessing it'll still be stiff competition.  We don't yet know the budget for the movie, but let's say that production and marketing costs end up somewhere in the $50 - $100 million range, if even that (which I think is a fair enough guess: LEGO Batman had an $80 million budget and Cars 3 had a $175 million budget, but I'd guess this cost less than LEGO Batman even).  It shouldn't need to make too much then to be profitable, especially if it's good; a solid opening weekend should do the trick especially.  The biggest risk is going to be how it does outside of North America as well as how critics go at it, considering we cannot expect that most of them have regularly watched this show, so this will probably be their first exposure to it; the fair ones will understand that they're jumping into a world that has been developing for seven years, the stupid ones won't and will complain that they're confused.

Too long, didn't read.

Just now, M'gann M'orzz said:

ALSO HEY! LUNA FINALLY GOT A CHAIR OF HER OWN! 

Yeah, I saw that! Finally! Oh, and also heart-butt (Cadence, thanks to her heart cutiemark.) gets a chair too.

Edited by Stickman, The Legend

Im guessing Starlight's role will be pretty minor but important in a storysense basically she and her Side Character Squad are told to hold the fort while the M6 go on their adventure or something like that. 

Then they'll appear at the end totally frazzled. 

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

The biggest risk is going to be how it does outside of North America as well as how critics go at it, considering we cannot expect that most of them have regularly watched this show, so this will probably be their first exposure to it; the fair ones will understand that they're jumping into a world that has been developing for seven years, the stupid ones won't and will complain that they're confused.

This what Im worried about, but you also ignored my second point. The movie at most will have 90 minute run time, and with so many characters I feel the movie will be a clusterf**k.

(edited)
2 minutes ago, M'gann M'orzz said:

Im guessing Starlight's role will be pretty minor but important in a storysense basically she and her Side Character Squad are told to hold the fort while the M6 go on their adventure or something like that. 

Then they'll appear at the end totally frazzled. 

Unlikely IMO. Did you see what happened? More likely that all of Equestria is conquered (in this movie it will solely be represented by Canterlot) and the Mane 6 are going to get away because the villain blasted a hole underneath them, causing them to fall into the river allowing the to escape.  There is no fort to hold down

Edited by Sidral Mundet

Just now, The Cynical Lone Wolf said:

This what Im worried about, but you also ignored my second point. The movie at most will have 90 minute run time, and with so many characters I feel the movie will be a clusterf**k.

It's a fair enough thing to worry about.  My guess is it's going to go Act 1: Set up main conflict, 20-25 minutes, 30 max; Act 2: jumping from set piece to set piece to gather allies, most like 30-40 minutes, 45 max; Act 3: conflict resolution, 20-30 minutes.  Considering it's the writers who have managed to do 22 minute episodes and 44 minute openers and finales for seven seasons now, I'm putting my faith in them that they know how to use their time wisely enough and allocate it properly, hopefully.  Crossing fingers on that one big time.

The animation looks fine except for the mouth movement when they're talking - hopefully they'll improve that before the movie is released.

As a whole, there's no way to know from the trailer whether the movie will be good or bad. It will probably be decent, but I'm worried that it will be too cheesy and childish. Hopefully the reason why the trailer was like that was to appeal to kids in general, even if they've never seen the show before, and the actual movie will still be enjoyable for older audiences.