Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Movie Trailer

PinkiePie97

On 2017-06-29 at 12:23 PM, Phirun Natela said:

Am I the only one here who really got some spongebob vibes with the trailer?

Pinkie in the beginning really gave me some uncanny vally feel, not good. The style is awesome, but the animation itself seems pretty weird. Hope they fix it up.

It's good Starlight is in the background, Pinkie was a bit too much but I can get that because she's comedy based. Good for trailers.

Spike already feels written pretty badly. Looks like he's written off as the dumb comic relief character again. Also, a pufferfish, really? It doesn't hurt to give him SOME respect. And him being "poisenous" is already just something we made up to make it less demeaning for Spike. I mean, we get it writers, he's a pet and not equal to the ponies, are we done with that now? 

I mean I could be wrong, but the same writer made Spike a dog so I'll not get my hopes up.

Not the only one with the spongebob vibes look up at my post lol

There seems to be a lot of stuff going on in this film. o_o We apparently have two villains at least and they are introducing a lot of new ideas, even if a couple aren't exactly ones I like. The sea ponies thing still bothers me, even after seeing a bit of it in motion, I am still left asking, what is the point? Everything else looked mostly fine, but that is still the one part of the film I personally think has no place. Hopefully they can justify in the movie itself.

The animation looks so incredibly smooth, to the point of feeling alien, but not in a bad way. The lighting and animation in general looks really good, but I noticed a couple of spots where the backgrounds didn't seem right, like they were just props with the animation on top of it, thanks to the CGI. Not exactly fond of that but it is what it is.

I am definitely looking forward to this movie more than I was before, but I still have my worries. I just hope it all turns out well. I am keeping my hype levels in strict moderation.

That animation though... Something new. I'm up for it, though, looks good. 

The trailer look really good, i hope the rest of the movie will be the same.

Tempest is cooler than i thought, what wrong with her horn?

I dont like the cat character, he look really weird to me.

I like seaponies, 10x time better than G1.

I LOVE that pirate harpie (she is a harpie, right???)

Yay, Starlight and Trixie in the background, i know she will be a background character in this movie but i hope she can have a few lines (like Party Favor)

Pinkie is just exciting as usual.. even when she's FALLING. She is the best character to make trailers.

Storm King is... eh. His voice is meh, he looks like a water-down version of Tirek.

YAY, SONIC RAINBOOM, it's back :pinkie:

Where Celestia and Luna??? Dont tell me, they are captured AGAIN :blink:

Amazing trailer! 
I think after watching the trailer three times and scrutinizing it frame by frame I'm already used to the new animation style. I just hope they will have as many secondary characters cameos as possible in the movie. As for the other things - the story, the characters, the soundtrack, I'm sure it all will be very high quality.

Too bad the original (English) version most likely won't be shown in my country.

I might get a bit flag for this, but i don't really dig it that much.

First off, i know it's a movie and we need conflict. The thing is just that Friendship is magic is not an action franchise. It's Slice of Life first and foremost and i think it could turn off some fans.

secondly, right now, i don't know how the seapony thing fits into this whole narration. It seems like a cheap ploy to sell seapony toys. Of course, i could be wrong and it could be actually pulled off.

Thirdly, SO...MANY...ONE SHOT CHARACTERS. I feel like this movie could run into danger, of our main characters being pushed into the background.

Fourth *insert generic pop song for the movie here*

Not trying to sour the mood, just trying to not overhype it too much. I can still see a fun movie in there though. :)

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

I might get a bit flag for this, but i don't really dig it that much.

First off, i know it's a movie and we need conflict. The thing is just that Friendship is magic is not an action franchise. It's Slice of Life first and foremost and i think it could turn off some fans.

secondly, right now, i don't know how the seapony thing fits into this whole narration. It seems like a cheap ploy to sell seapony toys. Of course, i could be wrong and it could be actually pulled off.

Thirdly, SO...MANY...ONE SHOT CHARACTERS. I feel like this movie could run into danger, of our main characters being pushed into the background.

Fourth *insert generic pop song for the movie here*

Not trying to sour the mood, just trying to not overhype it too much. I can still see a fun movie in there though. :)

And the griffins stand and have hands it seems, unless its a falcon furry or something.

I chuckled. Twice. It was decent. A standard adventure to put butts in seats. We can use this.

P.S: Tempest is already a better tragic past villain than all the other converts combined.

46 minutes ago, CuriUndersXeno said:

And the griffins stand and have hands it seems, unless its a falcon furry or something.

Unless you are talking about the new anthro bird species, that's the Hippogriff model I believe. I expect some fun shenanigans from Silver Quill now.

2 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

They introduced ... let's see

Songbird Serenade, Novo, Skystar, Capper, Celaeno, Storm King, Tempest, and Grubber that have speaking roles. Yes selling toys of new characters is a tradition when an animated series by Hasbro goes feature length. 

3259918FFEA9441C8E030C4E6B469789.jpg

jinx-gi-joe-the-movie-77.6.jpg

I would expect nothing less from a toy company, and they certainly don't hide it so I wouldn't call it a ploy. Also, it wasn't just about Sea Ponies. ;)

• Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Unless you are talking about the new anthro bird species, that's the Hippogriff model I believe. I expect some fun shenanigans from Silver Quill now.

You just KNOW there's gonna be shenanigans from Silver-Quill whenever there's a hippogryph around.

• The topic was pinned

As for the plot teasing and new characters, I am hyped. Except I thought there would be more of a seapony focus. But that animation, though... :huh: It's going to take so much getting used to. It's gorgeous, but there are little things about facial expressions and stuff that look a little alien in comparison to the typical Flash versions of the Mane 6. I didn't expect the CGI models in the background at all. At least they look better than the timberwolves in Spike At Your Service.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

They introduced ... let's see

Songbird Serenade, Novo, Skystar, Capper, Celaeno, Storm King, Tempest, and Grubber that have speaking roles. Yes selling toys of new characters is a tradition when an animated series by Hasbro goes feature length. 

3259918FFEA9441C8E030C4E6B469789.jpg

jinx-gi-joe-the-movie-77.6.jpg

I would expect nothing less from a toy company, and they certainly don't hide it so I wouldn't call it a ploy. Also, it wasn't just about Sea Ponies. ;)

Not saying it's an untypical thing, considering like you said it's Hasbro. But It needs to make sense from a writing perspective and as of the trailer (which is just speculation of course) it leaves me scratching my head. :confused:

19 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

Not saying it's an untypical thing, considering like you said it's Hasbro. But It needs to make sense from a writing perspective and as of the trailer (which is just speculation of course) it leaves me scratching my head. :confused:

That's the thing. It shouldn't be something that leaves one scratching their head. It isn't confusing at all.

Whether it's a good thing when telling a story is a whole different ball of wax, and a very legitimate point of concern. A concern which was stated by you, me, and about three other people in this thread. It is something that is going to be an issue with a 90 minute running time. Established characters may not get enough dialog and moments to satisfy fans of a particular character. They may have to repeat existing jokes and tropes most of us are familiar with for efficiency. New characters that are interesting will also be factored into the opportunity cost quandary. 

I was just pointing out that the toy angle, lots of new characters, and motivations for them are expected. It should have been the number 1 item people expected before they even announced this project a few years back. So when people act confused or mention it like it's a new issue I have to fight the urge to use a Captain Obvious meme. 

But ... but ... when this had been mentioned a year ago people said "it isn't written yet". When characters were revealed that legitimized these concerns people said, "it's premature you haven't seen the trailer." When the trailer is released some are saying, "you can't judge the movie until you see it." When the film is released there will be the next obvious statement when those that actually legitimately wanted a good film and have an issue with the number of characters ... betcha you can guess what it is. 

All this is crazy predicable. That said, being aware of what I'm going to see allows me to focus on what I hope to enjoy. The animation, style, and expanded lore. I just have no intention of ignoring what will certainly be a flaw. 

• Brohoof 3

The only thing that makes me sad about this is Starlight Glimmer being relegated to a secondary character. I think it's by design since the movie was developed over the course of several years, but still....

• Brohoof 3

I saw this trailer last night, and it was freaking awesome!! Also, for anyone concerned about Celestia and Luna, we do catch a glimpse of them early in the trailer when Twilight enters the throne room, as Celestia and Luna are standing there with Cadance off to the side, before it cuts to the arrival of Storm King's airship and the appearance of Tempest.

Still, hearing Tempest makes it clear she's all business when it comes to helping Storm King in his conquests. Her ultimatum could be either directed at the other Princesses and Shining Armor after she sends the Mane Six down Canterlot's waterfall to the base of the mountain, or to everypony in general since, according to the first issue of the movie's prequel comics, Storm King spared the King and Queen of Capper's homeland when he took over their capital city, so he'll probably do the same to the Royal Family once he takes over Canterlot, leaving them to watch as he takes over unopposed until the Mane Six return with all their new allies they met in Capper, Celaeno, Skystar, and more. A little more merciful than Lord Tirek or Queen Chrysalis, but the damage he unleashes on Canterlot is definitely going to be much worse, taking a lot of time for the ponies to rebuild once everything is resolved.

Either way, my hype and theories on the movie have been ignited, and this is going to be a very awesome movie.

At first, it was difficult for me to get used to the animation style as well. After watching it again a few times I must say I like the design and animation. Am I the only one who likes the seapony idea? I thought they looked cool. I wonder if Cadence, Shining Amor, and Flurry will make an appearance? I think two villians is a little much but we will see. Looks good overall. Please don't throw in too many pop culture refs and pop songs that would not work with MLP

10 minutes ago, Halberd said:

The only thing that makes me sad about this is Starlight Glimmer being relegated to a secondary character. I think it's by design since the movie was developed over the course of several years, but still....

That makes sense...[not a day one character and all]...

I'm fine with Starlight and Trixie being bit characters in a movie about the Mane 6 solving yet another world-ending catastrophe because Celestia and Luna are on vacation in who-knows-where

If Celie and Lulu have to job yet again for the new villains, I'm going to be even more irritated than I already am at them for being godawful rulers

1000 years of peace has made Celestia sloppy

Okay, this is necessarily a bad thing about the movie, but is it me, or does the plot of the movie sound sort of similar to another movie based on a popular kids cartoon, the Spongebob movie to be exact.

Both involve some evil force taking over the main characters' homeland, both have the main characters go on an adventure to save said homeland.

Again not a bad thing, besides, there are differences here, like more new characters to work with.