Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Movie Trailer

PinkiePie97

Just now, ChikoritaCheezits said:

Okay, this is necessarily a bad thing about the movie, but is it me, or does the plot of the movie sound sort of similar to another movie based on a popular kids cartoon, the Spongebob movie to be exact.

Both involve some evil force taking over the main characters' homeland, both have the main characters go on an adventure to save said homeland.

Again not a bad thing, besides, there are differences here, like more new characters to work with.

It's just you.

I wonder in what role does SIA's character plays into. It did seem like her character, Songbird Serenade was there for the celebration or special occasion until Captain Celaeno came in and tried to take over Canterlot. 

1 hour ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

Okay, this is necessarily a bad thing about the movie, but is it me, or does the plot of the movie sound sort of similar to another movie based on a popular kids cartoon, the Spongebob movie to be exact.

Both involve some evil force taking over the main characters' homeland, both have the main characters go on an adventure to save said homeland.

Again not a bad thing, besides, there are differences here, like more new characters to work with.

This is a standard, cookie cutter movie plot. Not just in animated films, but various mediums as well.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

As I said before , I liked the trailer.  Sure the animation may not be everyone's cup of tea.  But as @bobsheaux said in his review of the 1986 Transformers : The Movie, if you are given a bigger budget to work with, you can do a lot more with settings, character designs and details.  And of course, after years of basically CGI animated features or as Disney has done, blended their classic 2d style in with CGI, seeing a 2D feature may be a little surprising. And if you watch the show, a little off-setting.

But as I said before in my live reaction video, If you look at it as a original animated feature not connected with anything, that may help ease you thoughts on how the film is being presented, for those that may not be used to the movie's style.

Now there is no doubt that the trailer may have given away the ending in various scenes, but for those that have a problem with that, remember, originally this show was meant for a younger audience, so with that being said, if you're Hasbro/Lionsgate/Allspark Pictures, you kind of have to that.  But the plus on that, is that they didn't give much of the plot away.

Now as far as a MPAA rating, I will say it's going to be a PG rating, if it gets a G rating, I wont be to surprised , seeing as through CARS 3 got a G rating, when it originally we thought it would get a PG rating.  But I feel that since this is Lionsgate/Hasbro, it will get a PG rating, especially after what the trailer showcase.

Overall, I thought it was decent, and as far a final trailer coming, expect that sometime between Late August/Early September.  But Overall, WELL DONE HASBRO! Comments are welcomed

Edited by bwrosas
  • Brohoof 2

The teaser pictures of the guest stars with their respective characters made the Storm King look like a serious foreboding presence. .....This trailer makes him look like he took villainy lessons from the Disney version of Hades. :P Honestly, i'm more comfortable with this.

• Brohoof 1

32 minutes ago, Halberd said:

This is a standard, cookie cutter movie plot. Not just in animated films, but various mediums as well.

I literally laughed for almost 20 seconds straight when I saw the SpongeBob comment. You are so right! Something about the theme of finding your home in peril and setting off on an adventure to save it makes for a fun story. It's crazy common. 

I'm a child of the 80's soooo let's see ... 

Transformers, He-Man, Rainbow Brite, Secret of NIMH, Goonies, The Last Starfighter, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Robotech ... and ... and ... this is the best one 

My Little Pony: The Movie

Stealing from SpongeBob my ass, this steals from itself and many many other properties. Guess what? They all stole from Homer and Thomas Mallory anyway! Who cares? Hate to break it to the edgy types that angle for just the right amount of cleverness in their snark, but these stories began before the days of Wii - or the Atari VCS. Novel concept isn't it? 

• Brohoof 7

I've watched it twice. Once yesterday and then again today to see if I feel any different about it.

I am sure it will be fun and all, but the trailer just did not floor me like it apparently did others. Like others have said, too many characters floating about screaming for screen time, so someone is sure to get shafted. Hopefully they have that worked out so the mane 6 do not feel like launch ramps for the new characters to get all the spotlight. Other than that it just looks like a normal fun animated film.

• Brohoof 2

28 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

I've watched it twice. Once yesterday and then again today to see if I feel any different about it.

I am sure it will be fun and all, but the trailer just did not floor me like it apparently did others. Like others have said, too many characters floating about screaming for screen time, so someone is sure to get shafted. Hopefully they have that worked out so the mane 6 do not feel like launch ramps for the new characters to get all the spotlight. Other than that it just looks like a normal fun animated film.

Granted, though surely there's nothing wrong with a little change (if it's a GOOD change, of course).

1 hour ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Hotroduhoh.png.4cce9dd3853b2df021377f4469285da9.png

opmute.jpeg.b75d9b86f4d8deeb59920b281dc45542.jpeg

I brohoofed this more because that is my favorite Optimus figure than the lol's. But the lol's were good too. 

And yay ... just read we get 99 minutes. The longer the better. Basically ... four episodes. I can do division! 

I'm going to apply for CPA jerbs right now. 

1 minute ago, It's Starlight said:

The amount of emphasis on the new celebrity cast but somehow they forget the mane 6 character's cast. They're an important part of the movie too.

You mean they will be in the movie. That is the fear with this film... that they will play second banana to all of these new characters who will steal the screen time.... which they almost have to do possibly. Hasbro is not paying all that big celebrity money to have them barely getting any screen time. Obviously we will see when the film opens, but I would imagine if they went to all the trouble to recruit and pay the money for the celebrity voice cast.. they are going to really push them both to get the most out of their investment and to push the film to the movie going crowd who are attracted to celebrity names more than genre, plot or overall quality.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

You mean they will be in the movie. That is the fear with this film... that they will play second banana to all of these new characters who will steal the screen time.... which they almost have to do possibly. Hasbro is not paying all that big celebrity money to have them barely getting any screen time. Obviously we will see when the film opens, but I would imagine if they went to all the trouble to recruit and pay the money for the celebrity voice cast.. they are going to really push them both to get the most out of their investment and to push the film to the movie going crowd who are attracted to celebrity names more than genre, plot or overall quality.

If somehow Hasbro can balance the new cast with the current cast that we've already grown accustomed to, I'm fine with that too while still delivering that MLP feel to it. Seeing that it's still mainly a MLP movie, I do expect some screentime and dialogue focused upon the mane 6 with the inclusion of the new cast. 

(edited)

Ok so I guess I should give my thoughts here

First off I don't hate the new animation style, I actually think it looks very nice. But I have to say when compared to the show it's jarring AF. It is definitely going to take some getting used to for me at least.

I got a serious question here though. It is me or do the mane 6 or all the pony characters in general look a bit short in this movie? To me they look about a whole foot shorter than they should be. IDK if it's me or the animation style but I really think they seem taller in the show than here, maybe someone can tell me what they think. 

Also I am not really sure about the tone of the movie... This trailer seems to be showing me a movie that doesn't really seem all that different from a regular season finale. This is a movie though, I don't want season finale quality. I want the stakes to be almost Equestria destroying and this trailer is not doing a very good job of showing me what the villains are capable of aside that one of them maybe knows some marital arts. In fact the only screen time the main villain of the movie gets in this trailer makes him out to be cringy and is a scene I can only see taking place AFTER he's been defeated. 

I am not saying I think the movie will be bad, I am just saying I don't think the trailer got me as excited as it could have. It got me excited for sure but I think it could have been better... also there is a part in the trailer where Rainbow Dash is missing her eyes.

unknown.png

See? 

So to summarize I am moderately satisfied with the trailer but I think it could have been a bit better. It seems more focused on rapid fire introducing and showing off every new character than actually hyping up the movie through snippets of some of it's more interesting scenes.

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, looks like Lionsgate didn't waste time showing these ponies mean business :dash: 

7 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

The teaser pictures of the guest stars with their respective characters made the Storm King look like a serious foreboding presence. .....This trailer makes him look like he took villainy lessons from the Disney version of Hades. :P Honestly, i'm more comfortable with this.

I'm glad that Storm King's laughably evil trope wasn't the comic's doing some creative license 

Edited by Steve Piranha

I would agree that they are placing too much emphasis on celebrity casting, but most movies rely on that these days, since Shrek really kind of started the trend. I know celebrities have been in firms before then, but now it seems like strictly celebrities in some films rather than VAs like Mel Blanch and seiyuu in Japan. Trailers are always a bit iffy for me as they can now show the great potential for a film like Zootopia for example or only show the funniest bits of a film that otherwise is horrible. October is when the ponies debut on the big screen (well the Mane Six, anyhow) and they have time to render the animation and 3D effects, so I will hold off my judgment until then. I agree that the cat character looks a bit odd mainly because most other non-pony (or fantasy type creatures) are regulated to non-speaking roles in Ponyverse.

The VAs for the regular cast should have their names in the credits for the trailer, but it's all about making it more "marketable". MLP is already so huge it really doesn't  need a hard core marketing campaign, but I digress.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Zantetsuken said:

I got a serious question here though. It is me or do the mane 6 or all the pony characters in general look a bit short in this movie? To me they look about a whole foot shorter than they should be. IDK if it's me or the animation style but I really think they seem taller in the show than here, maybe someone can tell me what they think.

Yes, I do agree that the style of animation used for the movie does make the ponies appear shorter than they are in the tv series. I also think the animation style makes all the ponies look a little chubbier too. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just brings out the cutie pony factor.

7 hours ago, Valeska said:

Yes, I do agree that the style of animation used for the movie does make the ponies appear shorter than they are in the tv series. I also think the animation style makes all the ponies look a little chubbier too. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just brings out the cutie pony factor.

I'm never against for poneh to look chubbier and cuter :wub: 

11 hours ago, GoldenGumdrop said:

I would agree that they are placing too much emphasis on celebrity casting, but most movies rely on that these days, since Shrek really kind of started the trend. I know celebrities have been in firms before then, but now it seems like strictly celebrities in some films rather than VAs like Mel Blanch and seiyuu in Japan. Trailers are always a bit iffy for me as they can now show the great potential for a film like Zootopia for example or only show the funniest bits of a film that otherwise is horrible. October is when the ponies debut on the big screen (well the Mane Six, anyhow) and they have time to render the animation and 3D effects, so I will hold off my judgment until then. I agree that the cat character looks a bit odd mainly because most other non-pony (or fantasy type creatures) are regulated to non-speaking roles in Ponyverse.

The VAs for the regular cast should have their names in the credits for the trailer, but it's all about making it more "marketable". MLP is already so huge it really doesn't  need a hard core marketing campaign, but I digress.

Take into account in the following :

1-We watch TV shows and pay attention to who voice our favorite characters. Ask a fan around and they'll answer as if it was 2+2. If you ask someone randomly, chances are, they MAY know Tara Strong AT BEST. It's not marketable to put the names of the show's actual main cast in your face if the average person don't even know their names

2-In the opposite scenario of above, the average person may know at least one of the celebrity cast, but they are higher in league in the popular culture, so it's more marketable to put them in front rather than the main cast, so chances to attract new potential audience increases 

bottom line: As much is we may resent the fact that the celebrity are the ones getting more attention in the ads and promos, and this is movie not only has to appeal fans, but new people as well. If I where the producers, I'd foresee that as well, getting more focus on the celebrities, as promoting the regular cast in not marketable in comparison, plus we'd be happy in the end as long as we don't make the mistake of changing the regular cast with celebrities :lol: (unlike the NinjaGo movie :dash: )

By the way, an extra scene in this German trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjo6FHH_jVY

An awesome start!!! Really got me pump up for the movie! The animation and the actions is what i should expect from a "big deal movie."

and... Shadow Tempest is THE  best pony!!  

On 6/29/2017 at 4:31 PM, bwrosas said:

As I said before , I liked the trailer.  Sure the animation may not be everyone's cup of tea.  But as @bobsheaux said in his review of the 1986 Transformers : The Movie, if you are given a bigger budget to work with, you can do a lot more with settings, character designs and details.  And of course, after years of basically CGI animated features or as Disney has done, blended their classic 2d style in with CGI, seeing a 2D feature may be a little surprising. And if you watch the show, a little off-setting.

But as I said before in my live reaction video, If you look at it as a original animated feature not connected with anything, that may help ease you thoughts on how the film is being presented, for those that may not be used to the movie's style.

Now there is no doubt that the trailer may have given away the ending in various scenes, but for those that have a problem with that, remember, originally this show was meant for a younger audience, so with that being said, if you're Hasbro/Lionsgate/Allspark Pictures, you kind of have to that.  But the plus on that, is that they didn't give much of the plot away.

Now as far as a MPAA rating, I will say it's going to be a PG rating, if it gets a G rating, I wont be to surprised , seeing as through CARS 3 got a G rating, when it originally we thought it would get a PG rating.  But I feel that since this is Lionsgate/Hasbro, it will get a PG rating, especially after what the trailer showcase.

Overall, I thought it was decent, and as far a final trailer coming, expect that sometime between Late August/Early September.  But Overall, WELL DONE HASBRO! Comments are welcomed

cars though, while having a few dark moments like the crash, didn't explicitly have the characters trying to defeat each other through violence, and there's looking to be some fighting definitely going on in the movie.

I'd be SORELY dissapointed if the movie's not pg.

21 hours ago, GoldenGumdrop said:

These are good points, and marketing is a big reason to go with the celebs first. Honestly, it's what I would do. They know fans are going to try and see it, they are looking to pull in a wider audience and particularly appeal to parents with some of these names. 

I do want to point out that Shrek, Toy Story, and other pieces that have celebrity casting are usually not established properties with a pre-existing cast. In fact I'm struggling to remember when a recent animated movie did this. 

I'm hoping that as additional TV spots and supplemental trailers come, they will start listing Tara, Andrea, and company. 

Just noticed this (maybe everyone has and I'm just stating the obvious but I didn't notice it at first so maybe others didn't either): the dark purple stripe in Twilight's mane is split around her horn in the trailer (as opposed to just being on the same side as the pink stripe).