Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Movie Trailer

PinkiePie97

On 6/29/2017 at 11:23 AM, Goat-kun said:

I chuckled. Twice. It was decent. A standard adventure to put butts in seats. We can use this.

P.S: Tempest is already a better tragic past villain than all the other converts combined.

Just wait till you find out that she joined storm king's army because someone didn't attend her birthday party when she was 9 years old and swore off friendship forever. :P

I do like tempest though. Nice VA, and no nonsense approach. Kind of weird that we got very little idea of what to expect from storm king in the trailer, only have that 5 seconds and the comic to go off of

On 6/29/2017 at 8:16 PM, Star Trail said:

If somehow Hasbro can balance the new cast with the current cast that we've already grown accustomed to, I'm fine with that too while still delivering that MLP feel to it. Seeing that it's still mainly a MLP movie, I do expect some screentime and dialogue focused upon the mane 6 with the inclusion of the new cast. 

I will admit, though I like the trailer, I Am SEVERELY worried about the mane six as a whole getting actual focus and importance in this; Aside from Twilight and pinkie, the others were virtually non-existent in this. Hell, rarity, AJ and Fluttershy didn't even get a single word. SPIKE got lines.
kind of feeling that we might get a "twilight" plotline with pinkie as the secondary support, especially since alot of those scenes kind of looked to give pinkie more "group" importance due to being the kid appeal character they want to push for spongebob humor (When twilight is confiding about tempest being after her pinkies a pretty weird "Serious" face on, or how everyone as seaponies are hugging pinkie as the central figure)

(edited)

So, new german trailer with new scene and more polished CGI.

Oh. And something VERY important: Notice something missing? No twilight in that canon.
It looks like twilight is going to pull a "I need to do this alone" thing given her wangsting about tempest being after her, and the others will spend a portion of movie trying to catch up with her.

19 minutes ago, ranul said:

I am wondering what movie is this trailer being shown with

Probably despicable me three.

Anyone here seen that movie yet?

Untitled44.png

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I do want to point out that Shrek, Toy Story, and other pieces that have celebrity casting are usually not established properties with a pre-existing cast. In fact I'm struggling to remember when a recent animated movie did this. 

Try Lego NinjaGo movie, even poor Vincent Tong made a joke of him and his fellow cast being replaced :lol: ":in mocking whimpers: It's not us :more mocking whimpers:". I understand the move in that movie, but for fans it might be jarring at best. Good thing they where more sensible with this one, as only the new characters have such celebs, and kept the old characters their voices, so we don't riot and shit :lol: 

• Brohoof 1

On 6/29/2017 at 8:30 PM, Zantetsuken said:

In fact the only screen time the main villain of the movie gets in this trailer makes him out to be cringy and is a scene I can only see taking place AFTER he's been defeated. 

Some have been speculating that Storm King may not actually be the big bad in this. Something about the comic prequel showing another character or force ... 

To be fair, that scene of him mocking Twilight appears to have been well received by most who feared he would be a cookie cutter imposing figure like Tirek. I was worried they were trying to replicate what we saw in Twilight's Kingdom. 

So I'm of two minds about this. Part of me hopes and expects Equestria ending stakes, but we've seen that several times in the show. What we haven't seen is the concept of a more accurate conquering force. The comic preview I saw depicts Storm King more like a Mongol than a Borg so I'm interested to see how it plays out. 

• Brohoof 2

I am so absolutely psyched for this, the animation looks amazing and considering this will be the first FIM movie to get a cinematic release I am glad they stepped it up a notch for higher quality animating. 

• Brohoof 2

42 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Some have been speculating that Storm King may not actually be the big bad in this. Something about the comic prequel showing another character or force ... 

To be fair, that scene of him mocking Twilight appears to have been well received by most who feared he would be a cookie cutter imposing figure like Tirek. I was worried they were trying to replicate what we saw in Twilight's Kingdom. 

So I'm of two minds about this. Part of me hopes and expects Equestria ending stakes, but we've seen that several times in the show. What we haven't seen is the concept of a more accurate conquering force. The comic preview I saw depicts Storm King more like a Mongol than a Borg so I'm interested to see how it plays out. 

That'd be strife.

I'm interested in seeing what the next comics have in store. I'm expecting strife to be the connecting figure of all the various prequel comics (He just hooked up with the pirates, and Celaneo gets a prequel too), so if he continues being in them, it'll seem more plausible.

Untitled222.png

I'm excited for the movie! I think the animation style is cute and overall looks like a fun time. I don't have any groundbreaking hopes for it but I also don't think it looks bad. Even if the movie unsatisfactory though I suppose it doesn't count as canon? So there is always that. (Could be wrong lol.)

This is how I think the first scene will go. Twilight breaks into a song in the beginning giving out some expository background for herself and for the other mane characters. She flies and sings around Ponyville introducing them for the viewers and eventually landing in Canterlot where the big celebration is commencing. The next scene is probably reserved for the Royal Princesses maybe an exchange at the castle and another musical number might follow. 

Just an idea.

(edited)
2 hours ago, ranul said:

I am wondering what movie is this trailer being shown with

The only movie I am aware it's being shown with right now is unfortunately Despicable Me 3
Hopefully it will be shown before better films as the year goes on cause lets face it
Anything with minions made by Illumination """"""""""entertainment"""""""""" is hot trash

Edited by Zantetsuken

Just now, Zantetsuken said:

The only movie I am aware it's being shown with right now is unfortunately Despicable Me 3
Hopefully it will be shown before better films as the year goes on cause lets face it
Anything with minions made by Lllumination """"""""""entertainment"""""""""" is hot trash

Minions may be trash, but its marketing gold, its probably got more sales power than most other films this year.

I'm excited, but also concerned. 

Things I'm worried about:

1. The animation is...odd. Honestly, it doesn't look quite good enough for a theatrical release--more like something I would expect from a direct-to-DVD movie. 

2. That little "hedge-hog" minion. Uh-oh. :blink:

3. Sia. Seems like a cheap way to sell tickets to people who aren't already Bronies.

4. Where are Luna, Celestia, Discord, Starlight Glimmer, Big Mac, Cadence, Shining Armor, and the CMC? Do any of them make an appearance at all? If not, how the heck are they going to explain their absence?

Good things:

1. Kristin Chenoweth. Love her!

2. The humor seems to match the show.

3. The main villain seems pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

4. I agree. I'm glad that he seems to be a more comical character.

• Brohoof 3

8 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Probably despicable me three.

Anyone here seen that movie yet?

Someone I follow on Twitter has, but he said they showed the teaser instead of the trailer. I wonder if it was his theater.

9 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Just wait till you find out that she joined storm king's army because someone didn't attend her birthday party when she was 9 years old and swore off friendship forever. :P

Hide contents

I do like tempest though. Nice VA, and no nonsense approach. Kind of weird that we got very little idea of what to expect from storm king in the trailer, only have that 5 seconds and the comic to go off of

I will admit, though I like the trailer, I Am SEVERELY worried about the mane six as a whole getting actual focus and importance in this; Aside from Twilight and pinkie, the others were virtually non-existent in this. Hell, rarity, AJ and Fluttershy didn't even get a single word. SPIKE got lines.
kind of feeling that we might get a "twilight" plotline with pinkie as the secondary support, especially since alot of those scenes kind of looked to give pinkie more "group" importance due to being the kid appeal character they want to push for spongebob humor (When twilight is confiding about tempest being after her pinkies a pretty weird "Serious" face on, or how everyone as seaponies are hugging pinkie as the central figure)

I've already put that into account. Despite her woobie aspect, Tempest seems like the kind of a powerful unicorn that was not made powerful to push some shitty lessons. They just wanted to make a pony villain for a change. The scar, the colors, even her behavior: she's practically a ponified Katarina Du Couteau.

Twilight is the center of attention it seems, which is understandable. Dash and Pinkie could play bigger roles when it'll come to action and comedy. The rest of them ... Yeah. That's why I'm campaigning for Mane 6 stories to boost their usefulness in these kinds of situations. Inb4 Starfoals start hurr-durring about their end-of-development shit, but that's not true. Any other character would fare just the same. The problem lies in the development strategy. I find it funny that some people have only now stated waking up to this problem like it's a new thing. Wake up sunshines! You're five seasons late!

Tin Foil Theory Time: Strife is actually an agent of "Anti-Harmony" that is using hapless villains like Storm King to weaken its enemies the same way Orcs and Undead were used by the Burning Legion in Warcraft.

(edited)
10 hours ago, Zantetsuken said:

Anything with minions made by Illumination """"""""""entertainment"""""""""" is hot trash

I went to despicable me 3 and they didn't show the. Preview only showed the final pitch preview

Edited by ranul

2 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

I've already put that into account. Despite her woobie aspect, Tempest seems like the kind of a powerful unicorn that was not made powerful to push some shitty lessons. They just wanted to make a pony villain for a change. The scar, the colors, even her behavior: she's practically a ponified Katarina Du Couteau.

Twilight is the center of attention it seems, which is understandable. Dash and Pinkie could play bigger roles when it'll come to action and comedy. The rest of them ... Yeah. That's why I'm campaigning for Mane 6 stories to boost their usefulness in these kinds of situations. Inb4 Starfoals start hurr-durring about their end-of-development shit, but that's not true. Any other character would fare just the same. The problem lies in the development strategy. I find it funny that some people have only now stated waking up to this problem like it's a new thing. Wake up sunshines! You're five seasons late!

Tin Foil Theory Time: Strife is actually an agent of "Anti-Harmony" that is using hapless villains like Storm King to weaken its enemies the same way Orcs and Undead were used by the Burning Legion in Warcraft.

Don't worry, they'll get plenty to do and say. 

20 minutes ago, bwrosas said:

Don't worry, they'll get plenty to do and say. 

I hate to act like a certain strangely-colored deer but: "Citation needed!"

Well, if they'll have something unique to do I'll be damn pleased. Of not I'll be a little less pleased. But at least the Movie characters seem alright, so there's that.

(edited)

I enjoyed the trailer and don't mind the animation -- actually I kind of like it. It'll be nice to see a 2D-ish style on the big screen after...how many years has it been now? Maybe I'm just old but it kind of gave me a 90s vibe and I'm glad it's not pure CGI like everything else seems to be these days. There are a LOT of new characters to take in and I'm a little worried how they'll fit them all in without making things feel rushed...but I trust they'll make it work. Tempest looks pretty awesome and I can't wait to find out more about her. From what little I've seen I have a feeling she'll be a favorite among the new characters. I wasn't sure I would like Grubber when I first saw his image but now I think he's kinda cute. Still can't figure out if he's suppose to be a badger (honey badger?) or whatever but I love pie too. XD We don't get to see too much of Storm King in the trailer but for some reason he strikes me as a mix of Tirek and Discord. Capper is also barely in the trailer but I do think he's cute and I'm not among those complaining about how weird or out of place anthro cats are since anthro cats have been in the MLP world before. Remember Catrina from G1? Her being from Abyssinia would make perfect sense.

9 hours ago, Kings&Hooves14 said:

4. Where are Luna, Celestia, Discord, Starlight Glimmer, Big Mac, Cadence, Shining Armor, and the CMC? Do any of them make an appearance at all? If not, how the heck are they going to explain their absence?

Starlight Glimmer is standing near Trixie at 0:17. Luna, Celestia and Cadence can also be seen (albeit very briefly) at 0:28 in. No sign of Discord, Big Mac, Shining Armor or the CMC unless I missed something but I hope they all at least get cameo appearances. I'll be honest, my hype level dropped considerably when I read this because Discord is my favorite character. I guess there's still a chance he could have a few minutes of screen time with no speaking lines. It would seem rather odd to leave any of these characters out especially when every other character (even minor background ponies) seems to be making an appearance. Speaking of which, haven't seen any Derpy yet but I have a feeling they'll throw her in somewhere.

Soo yeah, I guess I'm "nervouscited" but I think (hope!) this gon' be good. :derp:

Edited by DragonFlyer
  • Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Someone I follow on Twitter has, but he said they showed the teaser instead of the trailer. I wonder if it was his theater.

Possibly. I made a huge post about how trailers are selected in one of the other Pony film threads detailing how exhibitors have a lot of say over studios. Since DM3 isn't a Lionsgate distribution it wouldn't be one of the 'attached' trailers unless Lionsgate or Illumination worked something out in advance. 

If it actually wasn't folded in by theater, I'm wondering if it wasn't ready for Exhibitor release. I'm also wondering if Pony was even a presence at CinemaCon and NATO and the big chains aren't sold on pushing it? 

The next question would be the presence of banners, quads, and standees in lobbies. Not to mention the other traditional hard advertising elements. 

18 minutes ago, Hebbocake said:

Spongebob Movie: "Sponge out of water." was a 2015 movie being 2D for about 75% of the whole movie. 

Also Song of the Sea was in 2014. 2D isn't completely dead, thankfully. 

10 hours ago, Kings&Hooves14 said:

3. Sia. Seems like a cheap way to sell tickets to people who aren't already Bronies.

Well, if you go through the list, a lot of names seem to be targeting completely different tastes and demographics of non fans. This is likely an attempt to appeal to parents and grandparents of kids. The inclusion of Taye Diggs and Crazy Eyes caught the attention of my sister-in-law and sister. Between the two of them they have a horde of < 10 year old kids. 

Kristen Chenoweth has a more popular pull outside the fandom with Broadway and TV fans, and may actually be why my other sister-in-law will accompany all of us to the theater in October. 

And all of this is organic. Ponies isn't exactly something that is typical conversation fodder in my extended family. They got all that information on their own. It's actually genius move on Hasbro's part, instead of a cheap ploy. It may be one of the reasons the film becomes moderately successful. 

• Brohoof 3

I'm definitely looking forward to this. Art and animation look beautiful. I already like Tempest, and I'm glad the Storm King isn't a copy of Tirek, although, as others mentioned, there might be a greater evil hiding in the shadows. 

What I'm especially looking forward to is world-building. I'm pretty excited to learn more about other parts of the world, about other inhabitants and Empires. We have sea ponies, cats, birds, monkeys, there's so much new information and stuff.

In October, I believe we'll see a sincere love letter not only to the fandom, but to animated films in general. That's what I thought after watching the trailer.

IMHO, everyone can rest assured the film being a total disaster is pretty much off the table. Sure, maybe it'll just be a good addition to an already great series...but this one could also end up being an Iron Giant, Hayao Miyazaki type of classic. Whether it all comes together correctly is still to be seen, but the potential is there. The people involved know their way around storytelling, music, et al, and the core elements of the show itself - a proven success - are intact. 

The animation, however...I saw the trailer in HD for the first time today on a larger screen (48"), and it feels wonderfully timeless. Yes, I love the show animation - it's part of MLP: FiM's DNA - but the classic cartoon gods must be smiling if they had a chance to see these 2+ minutes. It's clear the creators of this film have a deep adoration for the work that's come before them, and are trying to re-create some of that magic. It shows. Many have tried, but the advantage here goes to the Pony crew; they've got a great cast of characters at their disposal to work with, a good running time, and 2 or so years of development as well.

Lots of reason for optimism here...like, sky is the limit optimism.

• Brohoof 1