PinkiePie97

megathread MLP Movie Trailer

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Dzastur said:

In October, I believe we'll see a sincere love letter not only to the fandom, but to animated films in general. That's what I thought after watching the trailer.

IMHO, everyone can rest assured the film being a total disaster is pretty much off the table. Sure, maybe it'll just be a good addition to an already great series...but this one could also end up being an Iron Giant, Hayao Miyazaki type of classic. Whether it all comes together correctly is still to be seen, but the potential is there. The people involved know their way around storytelling, music, et al, and the core elements of the show itself - a proven success - are intact. 

The animation, however...I saw the trailer in HD for the first time today on a larger screen (48"), and it feels wonderfully timeless. Yes, I love the show animation - it's part of MLP: FiM's DNA - but the classic cartoon gods must be smiling if they had a chance to see these 2+ minutes. It's clear the creators of this film have a deep adoration for the work that's come before them, and are trying to re-create some of that magic. It shows. Many have tried, but the advantage here goes to the Pony crew; they've got a great cast of characters at their disposal to work with, a good running time, and 2 or so years of development as well.

Lots of reason for optimism here...like, sky is the limit optimism.

Getting a bit too hyped there, you're already setting yourself up dissapointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Hebbocake said:

Getting a bit too hyped there, you're already setting yourself up dissapointment.

Being disappointed wouldn't concern me much. :proud:  So, I'm not anxious about that possibility.
Optimism - even cockeyed - can be healthy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fan of the animation. It looks too... drawn-out and awkward. The other non-pony characters make the film seem too... non-pony? It's just not the mlp I fell in love with. Maybe I'll get used to it, but I don't have high hopes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

I really love the animation, though some of the 3D effects look a bit weird. It fits perfectly balancing between the show style and a new improvedone. From the looks of it (certain characters appearing) the show events would be canon, though that's not a huge surprise. For example Starlight Glimmer and a few other ponies from her town are in it, which I like. It's something that feels familiar, yet new.


I am very excited Starlight Glimmer appeared, even if it was a minor appearance. Hopefully she would be shown more, though she doesn't seem to have a speaking role.

 

The story itself seems interesting, even if a bit cliche in some parts. The new character cast seems interesting, and I cannot wait to see them in it later. Overall I think they seemed to blend it in perfectly with being familiar and new.

On 7/1/2017 at 6:30 PM, Hebbocake said:

Getting a bit too hyped there, you're already setting yourself up dissapointment.

Not my comment, but I see no problem with optimism. Becoming hyped and setting expectations too high are not the same thing. I too am for optimism, and I believe that it only makes things better, not worse. Even if it isn't what they'd expect completely. Besides, all the things we are hyped about were shown in the trailer, which is likely going to be in the movie, so there isn't anything to be disappointed about if it is there. 

Edited by Foxy Socks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Foxy Socks said:

Not my comment, but I see no problem with optimism. Becoming hyped and setting expectations too high are not the same thing. I too am for optimism, and I believe that it only makes things better, not worse.

I mostly agree with this. The only thing I caution people about is not expecting astronomical box office returns and hitting the panic button if it doesn't open with 40+ mil. 

As far as expecting it to be good and hoping to enjoy yourself, there is nothing wrong with that at all. It's likely to do exactly what I expect -- be a fun light-hearted romp with great music and a few smile worthy scenes. It's pony ... I expect pony and I expect it will have the same trappings that I find endearing in the show. 

I'm definitely anticipating its release, and have no problem with the eagerness I've seen in this thread. It's refreshing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
Quote
3 hours ago, Jeric said:

I mostly agree with this. The only thing I caution people about is not expecting astronomical box office returns and hitting the panic button if it doesn't open with 40+ mil. 

 

 

I would expect it to be the #1 movie for it's opening weekend and that upcoming week (10/6-10/13), but then possibly drop off to around the top 5 the week after, and then maybe around the top 10 in it's 3rd week. Then possibly around mid-November you may start hearing rumblings of a release date for Digital HD and a separate release date for 4K/Blu-Ray/DVD.  But I too expect it to be decent, if not a good overall animated film that will appeal to the fanbase and the wider audience who may be new to MLP : FIM for the first time, or who just want to go see a good animated film.

Edited by bwrosas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bwrosas said:

I would expect it to be the #1 movie for it's opening weekend and that upcoming week (10/6-10/13), but then possibly drop off to around the top 5 the week after, and then maybe around the top 10 in it's 3rd week. Then possibly around mid-November you may start hearing rumblings of a release date for Digital HD and a separate release date for 4K/Blu-Ray/DVD.  But I too expect it to be decent, if not a good overall animated film that will appeal to the fanbase and the wider audience who may be new to MLP : FIM for the first time, or who just want to go see a good animated film.

Blade Runner OW $45 million will beat MLP. That's on the conservative end. May wind up pulling in Fury Road numbers ($50 million OW). Curiously, Blade Runner and MLP could wind up feeding each other like this. 

Family goes to theater. One parent goes to see MLP with kids and another goes to BR. This is not uncommon. In later years one of the kids would go with me to see a film while my wife would go to another with the other kid in tow. 

I'm also already accounting for MLP getting a $50k hop boost from teens buying Pony tickets and sneaking into Blade Runner (which is admittedly liberal, but I need to account for that sort of slippage when I made sub 70m predictions. 

It will be interesting when tracking figures are released, because I'm almost thinking I'm being too kind toward Pony with $30-35 million. 

 

And it would be number one if some fans weren't worried about the opinion of others ... this is a nasty handicap for a film to have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Blade Runner OW $45 million will beat MLP. That's on the conservative end. May wind up pulling in Fury Road numbers ($50 million OW). Curiously, Blade Runner and MLP could wind up feeding each other like this. 

Family goes to theater. One parent goes to see MLP with kids and another goes to BR. This is not uncommon. In later years one of the kids would go with me to see a film while my wife would go to another with the other kid in tow. 

I'm also already accounting for MLP getting a $50k hop boost from teens buying Pony tickets and sneaking into Blade Runner (which is admittedly liberal, but I need to account for that sort of slippage when I made sub 70m predictions. 

It will be interesting when tracking figures are released, because I'm almost thinking I'm being too kind toward Pony with $30-35 million. 

 

And it would be number one if some fans weren't worried about the opinion of others ... this is a nasty handicap for a film to have. 

Maybe. But take into account what's more well known, and anticipated more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bwrosas said:

Maybe. But take into account what's more well known, and anticipated more.

I do and I have. That variable had several sub categories that work against MLP and for Bladerunner 2049. The general cinema lover population, in my demographic particularly, is going to be drawn to Bladerunner over Pony as that has more cache. The first film is beloved by film fans in general. So far it's marketing is focusing on the action element too, which should appeal to a broader base of those with casual awareness as well as the people that went to see Fury Road (funny that my prediction is close to that OW). 

Before I landed a job for Ford after I graduated with a business degree, I interned for an exhibitor data house. These are the people who used to gather box office, per cap, and ticket count from all movie theaters before the system when fully electronic. That and my Exhibitor Management background helps with some insight as to how tracking is conducted. 

We also have the ability to pull historical trending data from both hashtags and trailers, which is something that I would have killed for back in the 90's. 

Anyway, Decker should out perform Twilight by about 10 million OW, and a MUCH larger margin WW. Like I said, the only variable I can't account for with data analysis or past experience is closet fans not seeing the film in theaters because they are embarrassed. I did pull up an old DOI on how embarrassment impacts parent patron habits, but it was inconclusive (yay an inconclusive psyche study ... for once).

I do have to crunch the trending data more when I have time. I can already put together a cool Pareto on what I have. Number Five needs more input. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
On 7/1/2017 at 0:52 AM, Steve Piranha said:

Try Lego NinjaGo movie, even poor Vincent Tong made a joke of him and his fellow cast being replaced :lol: ":in mocking whimpers: It's not us :more mocking whimpers:". I understand the move in that movie, but for fans it might be jarring at best. Good thing they where more sensible with this one, as only the new characters have such celebs, and kept the old characters their voices, so we don't riot and shit :lol: 

Here's the exact part of what I've meant :lol: 

 

 

Edited by Steve Piranha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, I NEED to see this movie!!

 

Also, I think the animation is nice, although will take some getting used to.

 

Xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait! The only problem is how I'm gonna watch it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I saw Despicable Me 3 today in my local theater, but MUCH to my dismay, all we got before the film were trailers for Coco, Nut Job, Lego Ninjago, and a bunch of dull and not-worth-seeing live action movies. No MLP trailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Honestly, I'm happy that the MLP world is bigger and full of different species than we originally thought it had. It's good for the story and good for the kids. :orly:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

221663-header_1100x620.jpg

By the looks of the trailer and Twitter updates, I'm glad they're not shying away from showing some of the action scenes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2017 at 11:26 PM, Kaelocan said:

I can't wait! The only problem is how I'm gonna watch it...

Yeah my Mom isn't that good at keeping things from my Dad and going to the movies with a whole bunch of little girls is also out of the picture. So I'm ether going with a group of 6 bronys or less cuz six is a brony's lucky number and if that fails then the brony lucky number is 20...and no I'm not going to trample 8 year old girls with my army of 20 brony titans, that's just mean and I think I'm going off topic to BYE SON.:orly:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks really cool I love how some other famous actors are in it to, It makes it feel like mlp is becoming more open to the theater community , I love how there is a official mlp movie! I can't wait to see it though I may just wait till it comes out on video..., 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2017 at 11:03 AM, Jeric said:

I'm also already accounting for MLP getting a $50k hop boost from teens buying Pony tickets and sneaking into Blade Runner (which is admittedly liberal, but I need to account for that sort of slippage when I made sub 70m predictions.

There are much, MUCH better films to buy a ticket for to sneak into another movie with than MLP :P XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

I thought it was decent. I'm not hyped at the moment, but I get hyped for it after my birthday, because the movie is 2 days after it! ^_^

Thank you Hasbro for this great present. With new merchandize! :lol:

Edited by Hierok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On 7/5/2017 at 3:30 PM, Silver Note said:

I'm mad they're not sea horses. :derp:

We may never hear a shoo-be-doo for the rest of our days :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im still cautiously optimistic  about the MLP film b/c the last cartoon theatrical film we got was Spongebob:Out of Water. That film was incoherent mess of a movie and the worst I sat through. I sat though: Both Garfield Live  Action movies,  both Scooby Doo live action movies, all the Star Wars Prequels, and The Farily Oddparents Live Action movie. So pardon me if Im not HYYYYYPED  as hell for the movie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

Am I the only one who noticed that this thing:Screenshot_2017-07-12-04-18-58.thumb.png.86ad4552076869a95ef655b110a6e15c.png

looks like a murloc?

 

EDIT: also the new art style kinda reminds me of ajin's style.

Edited by Artimis Whooves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

31 minutes ago, The Cynical Lone Wolf said:

Im still cautiously optimistic  about the MLP film b/c the last cartoon theatrical film we got was Spongebob:Out of Water. That film was incoherent mess of a movie and the worst I sat through. I sat though: Both Garfield Live  Action movies,  both Scooby Doo live action movies, all the Star Wars Prequels, and The Farily Oddparents Live Action movie. So pardon me if Im not HYYYYYPED  as hell for the movie

What are you smoking? That movie was great, even the critics think so. How was it incoherent? The humour and characters were great due to the old makers of S1-3 and much more good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.