Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Animated Gifs going still?

Will Guide

I recently have tried to use two animated gifs of Thorax from the web to illustrate my points. But when I put them in my posts, they turned completely still, spoiling the effect. Is there a way to fix that?

5 minutes ago, Frozen The Unicorn said:

Hiya @WiiGuy2014 Just to clarify something, are you Copying the Gif and then pasting it in the post? or uploading the gif using the attachments?

DashesmyRainbow.gif.fd5e5b5488036c2110edde59d7fceb8b.gif

On my smartphone, I had to download the gif image and then upload it through attachment.

On desktop, I just drag a copy of the image and drop it in the post. The image appears, but won't move!

Perhaps the file isn't formatted well. Does it work when you're opening them directly on your PC? Windows Media Player is capable of running gifs, though it does it terribly, but good enough for previewing. :P 

If it is formatted correctly, then uploading that as an attachment should work. Other than that, if you're copying images/gifs directly from sites, make sure that their link is formatted correctly. For example images should have .png at the end of the link, where gifs .gif. Sometimes images have weird links with random letters and numbers at the end - these seem to not always work properly. :twi: 

You can also try to use external image hosting services, such as Imgur. I use it for a long time and it's doing its job very well. :proud:

Okay, out of curiosity, what happens if you do the attachment upload on your PC, rather than the drag-and-drop method? Ignoring the smartphone for the moment just to gather more information. :/

17 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

On my smartphone, I had to download the gif image and then upload it through attachment.

On desktop, I just drag a copy of the image and drop it in the post. The image appears, but won't move!

Can you link us to the threads that have the gif? Can you post it here? Is the source file an actual gif, or a video file (like the type you occasionally find on imgur). If it's the former it should work. The latter it would not auto-play. 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Can you link us to the threads that have the gif? Can you post it here? Is the source file an actual gif, or a video file (like the type you occasionally find on imgur). If it's the former it should work. The latter it would not auto-play. 

Well, here are the posts where I tried to use a gif. Any more steps I should take?

1 hour ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Well, here are the posts where I tried to use a gif. Any more steps I should take?

Don't use the attachments system on MLPF. It converts .gifs to .jpg and you see only one image frame. 

EDIT WAIT! 

No that isn't it.

full.gif

full.gif

Ok one is attached one is linked. 

Did you get any of your gifs from Pinterest? This I found on Pinterest and it is an animated gif. It downloads as a .jpg because of Pinterest

d006f35ab3293f919078e1771e65fef1.jpg

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Don't use the attachments system on MLPF. It converts .gifs to .jpg and you see only one image frame. 

full.gif

Becomes

d006f35ab3293f919078e1771e65fef1.jpg.fcc667dcd44a3c45518720d7005fd09f.jpg

Checked after downloading and it was still an animated gif on my phone. 

full.gif

Right now, I can't deal with discussing your solution. I'll let you know if your suggested solution works or not a little later!

• Brohoof 2

@WiiGuy2014 As long as you Download the File, and not just drag/copy it, The Gif should play.

Too summerise You're looking and copying a cached version of the images originally made by Google, Pinterest, and other sites. When you copy that, it doesn't hold the animations. When you download the source file, it does.

• Brohoof 1