Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tips for writing an unlikable but sympathetic character and fleshing out the story.

deathmetalbr0ny

(edited)

Regal Zeal is a young colt living in a village with his best friend Shining Dawn. One night after playing camping away from the village they hear loud noises that wake them up and they return only to find their town destroyed. After exploring the town they over hear the army behind the attack and the plans for attacking other territories near by. In a fit of rage they begin to attack everyone but are quickly over powered and make a run for it and barely manage to escape. Eventually the two make it somewhere safe and he recalls a legend of a treasure in a cave on the outside of the village deep within the caves, it is said to be a jewel that grants the one who wears it great power and can make ideals a reality.After finding it he and his friend spend the next few years training and building there own army to reclaim what was lost to them. Soon they have there home and happiness back, Regal Zeal and Shining Dawn return to a normal life but this time they are the leaders of a small kingdom, he is able to act a bit like his old self again in private awkward and fumbling over his words. He asks his childhood friend who has stayed with him throughout their long journey to not only be his sword and protector but his queen and she says yes and all seems well. But soon he starts to have a dream that he hasn't had since he was a child of the entire world in ruins and he hears a voice warning that a great evil will soon awaken and he must be the one to save the world.

This is the part where I get stuck the next part of the story is where he is supposed to become obsessed with power and that his way ends up being the only way and ultimately falling from grace. Granted at this part the audience is not supposed to like him anymore but there not supposed to hate him either but I'm having trouble thinking of what could go to far with that aspect of his character. And I'm having a hard time figuring out how it should play out, plus I've only really thought out the overall big story I'm still struggling with writing out the scenes with dialogue. I have these moments where I have the scene play out entirely in my head but when I go to write it down it completely falls apart.:unsure:

hiResPony.png

Edited by cjhoward
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I made a story similar to that. Albeit, when I wrote it, it went something like this:

Ancient evil threatens to rise up, hero is called upon.

Hero himself calls upon help from other heroes to help him vanquish the evil.

One and a half chapters of downtime to create some exposition on character and his actions towards other characters (albeit NSFW actions towards some ;) )

After threat is gone, they seek hero's guidance for ways to keep things the way they are.

Hero's policies taken into effect and are generally making things better for the greater good

Flash forward a few years and policies change a little bit for the worse, however show how the hero never intended for the policies to harm the citizens.

At least, that's how I wrote out mine, and he ended up getting slain at the end of the revolution.

After the revolution, the citizens still honored him for being a true hero who has fallen from the grace of the people, but is still remembered for what good he's done for them, which was prepare them for future threats to come.

I don't know if you're looking for anything like this, but this is just based off of my own first fan fiction that I made a few years back.

Edited by Kronos the Revenant
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 6/30/2017 at 8:37 PM, Kronos the Revenant said:

I made a story similar to that. Albeit, when I wrote it, it went something like this:

Ancient evil threatens to rise up, hero is called upon.

Hero himself calls upon help from other heroes to help him vanquish the evil.

One and a half chapters of downtime to create some exposition on character and his actions towards other characters (albeit NSFW actions towards some ;) )

After threat is gone, they seek hero's guidance for ways to keep things the way they are.

Hero's policies taken into effect and are generally making things better for the greater good

Flash forward a few years and policies change a little bit for the worse, however show how the hero never intended for the policies to harm the citizens.

At least, that's how I wrote out mine, and he ended up getting slain at the end of the revolution.

After the revolution, the citizens still honored him for being a true hero who has fallen from the grace of the people, but is still remembered for what good he's done for them, which was prepare them for future threats to come.

I don't know if you're looking for anything like this, but this is just based off of my own first fan fiction that I made a few years back.

@Kronos the Revenant

Sounds like a good story, I would like to read it if its still up. I had the idea of my characters fall being something more on the lines of Griffith from Berserk or Stannis from Game of Thrones if you've seen either of those. Though he doesn't do any actions nearly as evil as those two but is just as pragmatic.

Edited by cjhoward