Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

We stand united 1x1 Maple Bat

MickeyAdaptus

Caerson eventually woke up, when everyone was asleep in the night.

He looked around until he noticed Twilight sleeping on his lap, and then he realized what Twilight had done.

'She has done all of that, for me?....' Caerson thought with shock.

He did not know what to say, but one thing was clear, he was entirely grateful she did.

'I have been living in grief for so long, that i have been unable to feel this emotion, but now that i feel it.. It feels alien to me, something that i have lost and it has now returned. Most other species would show distrust and just leave me to die, but she is different from all of them, when i started teaching her, i thought the reason why she did it was only because she wanted to learn i knew, which was something i adored, i started seeing her a great friend, but i had never thought she would feel the same to such a degree towards me. In most cases, friendship does exist between 2 different species, but in most cases, there always seems to be this case where they show a sign of distrust in moments, and yet.. She tore that theory apart, she proved that these bonds are not limited by someone's species or past. The moment that Maple's brother pleaded for my help, the moment when i started to get an important role in Equestrian society, the moment where Twilight became my student, and this moment where did not show the slightest sign of hesitation when she saved my life... Has Equestria really changed me? I have started to get feelings for Twilight, something i tought i was no longer capable off, yet here it is at its uttermost glory.'  Caerson tought.

He stroke over Twilights hair.

"Thank you..." Caerson muttured silently, after that he was just staring in the distance.

• Brohoof 1

It had become morning and the other got up but Twilight needed more sleep, but she, however, got up before everyone else because she was hungry. "Ohh... Maybe skipping all the necessity wasn't the best Idea..." She noticed Carson awake and completely forgot about what she was busy with. "Oh my gosh, it worked! You're ok!" Twilight said happily practically bouncing.

Shining armor looked at Twilight not having stood up yet. "Twi... Did you even fall asleep?" He asked half asleep himself.

"I did. But that's not important right now." Twilight embraced Caerson "I didn't want to be the one who killed you... I'm sorry.

• Brohoof 1

Caerson smiled.

"It is alright Twilight, you did what you had to do if you hadn't taken that shot, the creature would have killed me within seconds. Even when I was on the brink of death you did not hesitate in the slightest, trying everything you could to save me. Not only that, but you made me realise that i have very good friend, someone i could never get mad at." Caerson as he embraced her as well with his non-mechanical arm.

• Brohoof 1

Shining armor stood up and went over to get Twilight and himself some of the rations they had for breakfast deciding to grab some for Caerson too.

"I know what you said... about not deserving it but you earned this... You're kind does not define you as Discord and his son have proven, Everyone deserves a second chance one where they show only what their intentions are not that of their race, or family, or anything like that just an individual and you... You've done too much for me to just leave you here..." Twilight, after finishing her small speech with him moved away from him and sighed relieved and happy.

Edited by Maple Bat
  • Brohoof 1

"I  think you are right Twilight, I am also getting to old for fighting, i am lucky that i have managed to forge such a strong body after all those battles, else i would have died eventually." Caerson admitted.

"Tough i can't say i am really capable of travelling, i am still rather weak from that injury, and it doesn't really help for the fact that i have a mechanical arm and leg, which are rather heavy." Caerson said with a sigh.

• Brohoof 1

Shining armor levitated food over to the two and some water to Twilight. "Well right now we're not gonna keep moving..." Shining levitated the water to her again and twilight started to drink it. "Gosh Twily, you scared me so bad when you wouldn't eat or drink anything last night. You were just so focused on whatever it was you made."

Now that he mentioned it Caerson could still see that Twilight looked incredibly tired it was apparent she didn't get much sleep. "It's fine B.B.B.F.F I managed to finish the thing I needed to make. I can get more sleep when we go home."

"Twily... That's not gonna be for a while..." Shining said down, "We'll need to stay here anyways at least... for a while so Caerson can get better." Shining called out some orders to make camp.

Twilight was still extremely happy and now she felt better because she had gotten a bit to drink. She started eating the food that Shining had made, it was alright, better than usual army rations but not as good as anything you could make at home, but it was something.

• Brohoof 1

"You should follow Shining Armour's advise Twilight, you will really need to get some more sleep, it will be a while until we could head back. As well that i can't really walk for very long, i am not one that is really capable of fast sprints anymore in general, so unless someone would be able to carry i wouldn't really be able to travel, let alone fight. And let's be honest here, you are the strongest magic user in this entire army at the moment, with Shining Armour in second place if i am not mistaken." Caerson told Twilight.

He then realised something.

"Shining, there is one problem though, how are we going to defend this place any longer? I am going to be straight up honest with you here, our enemy won't make the same mistake twice and will send so many enemies that we will be demolished within hours, you have to remember that they have a physic link that connects each of them, the next time they attack, it will be raining with mortal shells and missles in our location while their forces will be swarming us over. I can't be more certain about this, i have come to understand their pattern fo thinking." Caerson said with concern.

• Brohoof 1

"Oh that's already taken care of, There are some really talented unicorns is keeping a shield up," Shining said to him

Twilight, Tilted her head "Like the kind you used against the changelings?"

"Yep, that kind exactly except this time there's 10 unicorns doing it so they barely have to focus on it. It's just as tough as what I could make too We're safe for now."

"See Caerson? We equestrians try our best even if it doesn't work, As long as one unicorn still is using magic to keep that shield up it should be ok." Twilight commented as she went back to eating.

• Brohoof 1

"I have to admit that it does seem like a good defence, I guess I am just not used to the capabilities of magic, or even flying for that matter. I remember a moment where I had to lead only a squad 6 soldiers, without any of the benefits that we are having right now. All we had where some ranged weaponry, and some knives, but that was all as we were forced to fight our way through so many enemies, and at a temperature of -15 where it was freezing cold. I am rather glad we don't have to resort to desperate measures in order to survive here." Caerson said.

"Tough at the same time, an escape plan doesn't hurt, even if you have the strongest defence, you must be a step ahead, what will happen if the enemies manage to break the shield? For how long will we be able to stay here? How are we going to keep the sick and the wounded away from harm? As a military commander, it is a good thing to keep insight of such factors, because you will be able to avoid disaster alot better." Caerson advised.

He then tought for a moment.

"In fact, if things should go to bad, what would you propose as an escape plan? I am interested to see your side of such a plan." Caerson asked him, intrigued how he would handle such a situation.

• Brohoof 1

"Several dragons are well equipped to handle carrying our wounded and sick should we need to get out of here," Shining armor started as he was speaking only to Caerson "I'm one of the unicorns holding up the shield so I can open parts of it even if the others don't fully lower it so that's the plan." After explaining some of the soldiers required his attention. "I've gotta go for now duty calls and such. Could you make sure twilight keeps healthy? I just don't want her to stop caring for herself once I leave." His eyes did show fear of what could happen once he left and they showed general concern

• Brohoof 1

"You can count on me." Caerson said with a nod.

It was about 3 hours later, that Caerson was sitting there looking into the sky, soldiers scattered all over the place in the town.

As this was going on, Caerson saw one of the soldiers, a unicorn acting a bit weird, the unicorn was sometimes running in circles, and in other moment the unicorn was behaving just plain weird, somethimes talking to himself, blabbering like he had just learned how to talk.

'Just what is up with that Unicorn?' Caerson tought.

The unicorn was acting very strange, just what could it be?

• Brohoof 1

Twilight had decided to get some more sleep since she had beforehand only gotten 2 hours of it before getting woken up again by her stomach, this time however instead of sleeping on Caerson she went to one of the very few tents that were set up by some of the ponies.

Moonshadow had snuck up by Caerson "They seem odd to you too hmm? I think they're infected or something... whatever it is it isn't good." Moonshadow had been watching since after Shining left.

Edited by Maple Bat
  • Brohoof 1

"I am thinking about that one in particular." Caerson said as he pointed at that Unicorn that he had been observing for quite a while.

"That one has been acting like a non-sentient being, your infected theory might be right, but there is something more beyond it... Remember how I told you about their physic link? An important thing to know about our enemy is that they adapt to every situation if they tend to fail, and Changelings have the ability to shapeshift. What if... They made a new creature strain that is based on the Changeling victims that have been infected and converted into those conversion centers? Let that theory sink in for a bit because that is something we might be dealing with now, just take a look at that Unicorn's movements, see anything familiar? That unicorn sometimes trying to stand on its hind legs, something that a biped does by default...." Caerson told Moonshadow.

It was then that the Unicorn suddenly changed, and to Caerson's assumptions, it was a new type of strain-based off the Changelings, tough it appearance almost looked nothing like its origin, instead of having 4 legs, it was in a biped stance, and the normal changeling hooves had been replaced by some sort of tentacle hands, something that you would see from a sea creature.

But it proved to be even worse when 4 more of the unicorn spellcaster that was holding up the shield reverted back to their strain based forms.

The real unicorns where caught off-guard as these new strain creatures attacked them, and so, the shield suddenly started to falter as they were using their new physic powers to distort the shield itself.

And just when it looked like it couldn't get any worse, it GOT worse.

From the sky 4 sphere shaped objects crashed straight into the ground, they were pretty big and had been flying via the use of a rocket engine, it was a similar thing that Jack found back in the Frozen North when he and Ember fought against that Minotaur creature.

But instead of creatures emerging from it, countless of tiny insects started crawling at a crazy speed from it, it was almost like water leaking out of a bucket from how many of those insects were present.

They started swarming into the bodies of Equestrian soldiers, and the victims were slowly being infected.

It happened so fast, 20 soldiers had already been infected by the sheer speed and amounts that these insects were present at, and it would get worse soon.

Caerson stared with horror at what he was seeing, not because it was new to him, but because they were employing a method that he never thought would ever be used again on such planets.

To make matters worse, Caerson was pretty much trapped at this point, as he could not really walk.

• Brohoof 1

"Gah! Hold on I've got you." Moonshadow lifted Caerson up using magic "Shining! Throw Twilight to me!"

"I''m not gonna do that..."He saw the overwhelming number of these bugs and threw up a smaller shield by himself this time. "Clear the bugs that are in the shield..."

2 dragons started spitting fire at the small amount of busy that got inside the shield incinerating them instantly "We're safe sir."

Shining relaxed but kept the shield up at full power "Twilight's safe right?"

The dragon looked in the tent she was sleeping in and didn't see anything "No sir. Everyone's ok for now."

Moonshadow set Caerson down inside Twilight's tent "I can teleport you two... maybe some others out of here but this isn't your fight... not anymore."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Think that idea a bit trough Moonshadow, where are you going to teleport us? How will I and Twilight even get further? I cannot walk and she is still asleep, not to mention we could be killed easily with what is going on now, they will track us down without much effort." Caerson said.

"No, there needs to be more in that, We could potentially let someone teleport with me and Twilight, that can fly us away afterwards, preferably someone strong that is capable of holding my weight, being Anywhere on the ground right now is not an option."

"We need to act because if we don't follow this plan me, including TWILIGHT are going die, or worse." Caerson said.

Edited by Mickey Adaptus
  • Brohoof 1

"I did think this trough don't worry." Moonshadow calmed replied to him "I was going to teleport you, Twi, Applejack, Rainbow, And Zecora, You few where going to end up in the throne room in Canterlot. Cadence wouldn't just let you an Twilight lay there. She'd find out what happened... And there are still guards there we couldn't take ALL of them, the castle still needed to be protected. I'll go get the others first then we can talk about the plan." Moonshadow changed into Maple before stepping out of the tent and going to find the others returning in a matter of minute. "So you like the plan?"

• Brohoof 1

Caerson hesitated for a moment, not sure if Moonshadow would be exerting to much magic by teleporting away 5 people at once, all the way to Canterlot, magic in which he needed for the battle itself.

But he then removed his own doubts and decided to trust Moonshadow in that he was not making the wrong choice.

"Alright, i can agree with that, but don't forget what i said because this time I won't be there to guide you guys against them." Caerson said.

After getting the other 3 inside the tent Moonshadow nodded and changed back into himself "Once I teleport you don't worry about us. Make sure you all stay in the castle for a while... As for me, I'll be magically exhausted and I'll use the last of it to become an earth pony... We'll make it back I promise but our works far from over..." Moonshadow's changeling horn started to glow "Good luck." He then teleported the 5 to The crystal empire's throne room, While he was off at least it was still a protected place.

• Brohoof 1

Caerson blinked when after they had teleported, and looked around with a confused expression.

"This is not Canterlot, his spell must have had trouble locating the end destination or something." Caerson said as he looked around.

He was now looking around, and the sight around him interested him alot.

"So this must be the Crystal Empire, the appearance of this city speaks for itself, beautiful it is." Caerson said with praise.

"Ahh!" A scared panicked voice shouted behind Caerson. When he looked something similar to a bug was looking at him but they were tall like Luna was and they had deer antlers "Are you one of those... Infected I was warned about? If you are then I'll need to teleport you out of the city... Wait Twilight? Oh... She's asleep. Who are you though." 

AppleJack chucked "Don't worry thorax... Your majesty. He's a friend"

"I thought I said not to call me majesty. Just stick with Thorax please..." He told Applejack. "Still, I want to hear it from him."

• Brohoof 1

"Don't worry I am not an infected, my name is Caerson, you presumably have heard of my name, even with different civilizations I  seem to become well-known ironically," Caerson said.

"And you must be Thorax? You do seem different from the other changelings I have met before, why is that?" Caerson asked Thorax with intrigue.

"Me? Oh well, I was the first of a number of changelings to give love back... When I did my form kinda changed... And I guess I became the ruler since I was the first. Things have been hard for us since we've basically been living under a rock in the badlands but it's a good rock at least." Thorax explained "Unlike the other group we just eat normal food rather than love. Passing time has been hard though since we don't know a lot about friendship."

Zecora looked panicked for a bit as she was searching through her things she pulled a bottle out of her bag removed the cork and drank a small amount of the very dark blue liquid after which she calmed down as she put the bottle back in her bag.

• Brohoof 1

"I see, well it is a good thing your species can now survive without the abstract of consuming particular emotions, it won't exactly be easy to get nowadays with the whole tragedy going on." Caerson said.

He then noticed Zecora drinking that liquid, he narrowed his eye.

'She is behaving oddly, not only that, but what she drank...' Caerson thought.

'Hold on a second, she was trying to make a cure, and from what i know, you can't test such a cure unless you are... infected.'

He then saw something in her eyes.

'Yes, i can it her eyes, i don't need the indication of golden eyes to see something like that.' Caerson thought with dismay

"You are infected, aren't you?" He asked Zecora, not bothering to hide his suspicious tone.

"What gave it away..." Zeocra said a little upset. "Was it the potion I used to keep it at bay... Or was it something to do with my eyes?" Zecora stopped and didn't ryhme Leading both Rainbow dash and Applejack to know something is very wrong with her.

"Infected! How'd that happen?" Rainbow said very loudly alerting Thorax.

"I was handling some specimens I was testing it on and I guess I wasn't careful enough..." Zecora explained much quieter "I've at least got half of it down since this that I'm using is keeping it from getting any worse. "

"Did... She say infected? Becuase I was supposed to keep anyone who was infected out... Well.. none of you look like it?" Throax stated that last part as if it was a fact but said it with a questioning tone

• Brohoof 1

"It was your eyes, pupils that can shrink for just a mere moment, and then i saw that murderous look, an aftereffect that happens without the victim being aware of." Caerson said.

"I have dealt with many infected victims that i tried to help, most have these same symptoms, but with you its a little different since you are from a different race, and you managed to stall the progression of the virus within your body to good degree, but that stalling won't last forever, the virus is capable of evolving beyond your cure eventually, wich means you are going to need help, i could help with that, i can't garantee that i could cure you completely, but there is a chance i can make it stop from progressing all togheter." Caerson said.

His expression turned bleak.

"It is not a method that i really... Wish to do on others, but if you are willing, i could do it." Caerson said, clearly not being sure whether his method would be a good idea.