Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Times When You Rooted For The Bad Guy(s)

Castle Bleck

(edited)

Cypher in Enter The Matrix.

Specifically his motive: to be a Bluepill again (fake happiness is still better than real misery, IMO). His actions (betraying and killing his crewmates), not so much.

Edited by Orcus on His Throne

(edited)

Marine Sandwich, in the Friends Forever #1 comic.

After she was repeatedly assaulted and humiliated for trying to claim her rightful spot in the competition, I couldn't blame her for finally going postal (in a family-friendly way, of course).

Heart, from Kamen Rider Drive. Despite being the leader of a race of robots bent on overthrowing humanity, Heart was easily the most sympathetic character in the whole show. He was created by a maniac who programmed him to mimic the appearance of a investor who turned him down so he could torture him by proxy, showed genuine concern and remorse for his comrades whenever they died and wanted nothing more than to lead his people to happiness. 

(edited)

Godot from Ace Attorney. 

Edited by The Undefeated of the Weast
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 2017-07-01 at 10:02 PM, The Undefeated of the Weast said:

Godot from Ace Attorney.

Complexity-addiction or not, he did help save the day.

P.S.: He and Simon Keyes (Investigations 2) are the most-sympathetic AA final bosses, IMO.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

Trixie during the events of Boast Busters comes to mind, especially given what happened to her between that episode and Magic Duel.

Absolutely. I still found her lovable regardless of her taking revenge in Magic Duel.

As for other occasions? Well, Yellow 13 in Ace Combat 4 is among the most respectable antagonists in any game I've ever played. I wish I could play as him in an alternate universe version of the storyline. This cutscene quote sums it up:

"His heart felt compassion towards the weaker enemies he downed. Some day, if an equal appeared and challenged the limits of his skills in a fight, he would bear no resentment about being shot down."

(edited)

Oh quite a few.

-Carlie from Yu-gi-oh 5D's. A dorky side character turned into a primary villain, first for avenging her own death, for wanting to be taken seriously and for wanting to be noticed by her crush Jack Atlas. 

-Ramba Ral from the first Gundam. He turned out to be a nice guy and an honorable warrior, even when face to face with his enemies, and even giving encouragement to young enemy pilot Amuro Ray.

-Clayface from Batman TAS. He was just trying to become human again in his second episode outing, but Batman stopped him so he could go to prison. In the end, he ended up supposedly dying because of it. 

-WWE is pretty bad about making their heroes likable and making their villains sympathetic. Last year, big samoan badass Roman Reigns crashed a wedding hosted by evil foreigners Rusev and Lana. They hate america and love bragging, so they need to be stopped, right? Problem was, instead of throwing witty quips like Dwane 'The Rock' Johnson, Roman came across more like a smug bully, and he tried to come across as funny and witty by insulting Lana. But with the ensuing matches, it was less Roman defending the honor of America, and more Rusev defending his wife's honor. And loosing every time. Can't help but feel bad for him. 

Another WWE one was CM Punk. He led a villainous gang that thought themselves superior to everyone due to their anti-drug, anti-alcohol stances, and that everyone should be just like them. Problem was, everyone by default who fought against them was now for drugs and drinking. Not a good plan when you're TV-PG. There was also an incident where Punk stopped top good guy Randy Orton from winning the world title, because years earlier, Randy attacked Punk and put him out of action, costing him his own world title. And yet, Punk was seen as a villain, just for wanting revenge on a bad guy turned good?

-Another wrestling one, this time for NJPW. It was Japans top champion Kazuchika Okada, the rich and famous 'Rain Maker' defending his gold against rising star and leader of villainous foreign faction The Bullet Club, the Albert Wesker looking, terminator inspired, Kenny Omega. But Bullet club were sort of the 'cool bad guys' and Kenny was putting on such fantastic performances, fans couldn't help but cheer him. The dynamic changed, from good guy vs bad guy, to more of a legit sporting match where you just cheered for the better man. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 2017-07-02 at 3:19 AM, Denim&Venom said:

Another WWE one was CM Punk. He led a villainous gang that thought themselves superior to everyone due to their anti-drug, anti-alcohol stances, and that everyone should be just like them. Problem was, everyone by default who fought against them was now for drugs and drinking. Not a good plan when you're TV-PG. There was also an incident where Punk stopped top good guy Randy Orton from winning the world title, because years earlier, Randy attacked Punk and put him out of action, costing him his own world title. And yet, Punk was seen as a villain, just for wanting revenge on a bad guy turned good?

I didn't blame him one bit for breaking Orton's Punt leg.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Times When You Rooted For The Bad Guy(s)

Henry Wu (Jurassic World). He’s just a great scientist doing what his job demands. Everyone blames him for creating terrible monsters but never realize he isn’t making them to be monsters, just dinosaur exhibits according to spec. It’s the other short-sighted people who let them get out and eat people. He has vision and the ability to do some amazing things I think that’s pretty cool.

David Nyx (Tomorrowland). Okay, he’s not perfect, and lacks a certain degree of vision. But he realizes something needs to be done and does his best to do it, whether or not he uses the best approach possible.

Ladd Devine (Milagro Beanfield War). It’s always open season on rich developers because that’s kind of a trope in movies. They’re depicted as soulless megalomaniacs out to rape the natural world. But I see them as bringers of civilization. Everyone needs a habitat, and mankind lives in houses and uses man-made facilities created by developers. Every animal carves out a home from the wilderness and there’s nothing wrong with it.

Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Darth Sidious (Star Wars). Vader may have made bad choices but had good intentions. That doesn’t make him a good guy, just a villain I love to hate love. Maul and Sidious/Palpatine are just rotten SOBs to the marrow but I can’t help loving badguys that are so exquisitely bad.

Almost always the WWE, and often by accident lol, CM Punk during the Summer of Punk, Jericho during his feud with Michaels, Daniel Bryan when he was ultra hippy vegan, everyone going against Roman Reigns when he was face, Roman Reigns when he actually turned Heel

Basically most of the bad guy in SW. it does get redundant and boring to see the good guy (the rebel) always winning :dry: