Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could the movie do as well as a Disney movie?

CastletonSnob

(edited)
On 7/4/2017 at 1:40 PM, WiiGuy2014 said:

Actually, Disney did "Winnie the Pooh" in 2011, 2 years after PatF, and that was traditional 2d animation too!

And Disney didn't seem to have much confidence in it considering they didn't decide to change its release date to a different time than when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 was released.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 2

11 minutes ago, Marimo said:

And Disney didn't seem to have much confidence in it considering they didn't decide to change its release date to a different time than when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 was released.

Yeah, and I think releasing it on the same weekend as Harry Potter was the biggest reason it didn't make the $$ Disney was expecting, despite an over 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Sadly, this is a big likely reason why we don't see full 2d animation films in theaters anymore!:(

54 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

What if we're wrong, and the movie is one of the highest-grossing animated films of all time?

It's not like we don't want the movie to do well, but a lot of us are keeping expectations in check. If it does hit those numbers then great, if not then oh well. All that matters is either that the movie turns a profit or the toy sales are really good

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 7/1/2017 at 5:09 PM, GrimGrimoire said:

There are several threads on the subject where people have expressed discomfort of seeing the film and having others discover them. Heck, there are threads from users terrified they will be caught watching the TV show in their own homes, much less a theater. You even have members talking about "coming out" as a "brony" as if they were announcing a sex change or religious conversion. Personally I don't see the problem, but for many it seems to be a very worrying issue.

However that being said, I have yet to see anyone say "I hope my family/friends don't find out I was watching The Fox and the Hound... I'll never hear the end of it!"

I kinda feel the same way, just on a MUCH smaller scale. I don't really see "coming out as a brony" as that big of a deal; I'd honestly just be rather embarrased getting caught in public saying "One ticket to the My Little Pony Movie, please" at the ticket counter. So I'm probably gonna wait till the movie comes out on Netflix or Redbox or something (or YouTube/DailyMotion if it doesn't get taken down).

As for OP's question, I'm gonna say it depends on which movie you're talking about. If the movie is really good and lots of people outside the target audiences give it a chance, it could do as well as one of Disney's lesser known films (Treasure Planet, perhaps?) or even a movie like Hercules, which is still well-known but not as prominent as some of the other classics like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast or Mulan. (Mind you, I'm only basing this on my subjective knowledge of the relative successes of some Disney films; otherwise I have pretty much very little knowledge of how box office revenues actually work)

However, given how niche Hasbro and MLP are, and how well Disney is able to attract a wide audience, unless some miracle happens it's virtually impossible for it to hit the success levels of Frozen or Zootopia.

Edited by PacificGreen
  • Brohoof 1