Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fanfic Preference Questions

Reaverpony

29 users have voted

1. 1. When it comes to fanfictions do you prefer to that they stick to focusing on the main cast?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Doesn't matter. I just read them all to get my MLP fix.
  2. 2. What are your thoughts of humans crossing over into the mlp universe in anyway?

• Yeah, I couldn't care less as long as it has ponies.
    • No humans. Keep it pure.

Well school is coming to a close and I have had a fanfic idea in my head for sometime now. Before I write it I have a question or two regarding people's views on fanfics. This is mainly just out of curiosity on my behalf. I am attaching a poll but I would prefer comments in response if you would.

Question 1: When it comes to fanfictions do you prefer that they stick to focusing on the main cast?

• This is a personal issue I have with most fanfics as my mental concept of the main cast in any fanfiction seems to always conflict with the fanfic's version of them and that usually loses me very quickly. I have found exceptions though. I think I am on the minority side here but I still want to find out what others think.

Question 2: What are your thoughts of humans crossing over into the MLP:FiM universe in anyway?

• I think it could work if done correctly but the concept reminds me too much of a few shows from the 80's and 90's where kids get sucked into a video game. The issue there is said human characters always seem to become the center of attention amongst the original cast in those shows. Then, to me it seems just like a story of a kid at Disney Land.

I prefer fanfics to have least 1 character from mane 6, they have deepest characters.

And i dont like mixing humans with pony stories much. (Except in my little dashie)

For me it's gotta have at least some of the main cast

And and if done right Humans mixing can be really really good

I'm curious. Can you give me an example of a human mixing working well in an mlp fanfic?

(edited)

I like to read about ponies I know so that includes the mane cast but I don't mind reading about other ponies too as long as they are not absurd OCs. Humans are okay as long as, and it should go without saying, the human is not the author writing to help him imagine himself there. That usually does not make for a good story. The best example I've read of a human story is Name's Ellis.

Edited by Hat988

As long as there aren't tonnes of OCs, I'm fine with any background pony having a fanfic.

As for humans, unless they're in the same category as My Little Dashie, I'd ignore them.

I've read little to no pony fiction thus far, because even though being a writer of fan-fiction, I don't tend to read other fan-fiction very often in general. I get my reading knowledge elsewhere |'3 That said, I'd prefer someone from the Mane 6 to none, yes. UNLESS it focuses around one of my three fave non-Mane 6 characters, Discord, Celestia or Luna. Then I'd be into it.

And as for humans crossing over into the MLP universe?

post-4006-0-75251400-1337270925.jpg

Posted Image

Humans do not belong in MLP. End o story, good-bye, arrivederci!

• Brohoof 1

I've read little to no pony fiction thus far, because even though being a writer of fan-fiction, I don't tend to read other fan-fiction very often in general. I get my reading knowledge elsewhere |'3 That said, I'd prefer someone from the Mane 6 to none, yes. UNLESS it focuses around one of my three fave non-Mane 6 characters, Discord, Celestia or Luna. Then I'd be into it.

And as for humans crossing over into the MLP universe?

post-4006-0-75251400-1337270925.jpg

Posted Image

Humans do not belong in MLP. End o story, good-bye, arrivederci!

You forgot bienvenidos. :c

I'm curious. Can you give me an example of a human mixing working well in an mlp fanfic?

There was a Larry the Cable Guy in equstria fic.FUNNY.AS.HELL.

Seriously though, you should read that one.I cant find it unfortunately but I think it's on FIMFiction.

I'd like the fanfic having some of the mane 6 at least as supporting. If done well, a background pony can be nice. I'm now reading a LyraxOC

I don't go normally for humans, but as pointed, Rorschach in Equestria does good, also My Little Denarians (The Dresden Files crossover) and as for a human OC

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/06/story-kindness-of-strangers.html

(edited)

So are you saying my upcoming fanfic starring Featherweight as the main character isn't going to be a smash hit at the box office?

Posted Image

Edited by MasterCombine

(edited)

I prefer fan-fics without humans and the mane 6. The mane 6 have very specific characters and are really hard to write them like the creators of the show can. As for humans...well, they should stay away from the mlp universe unless a human from our universe gets transported to equestria in a form of a pony.

Edited by Strafe
  • Brohoof 1

1) I enjoy fics that involve at least one of the Mane 6. I mean, anyone can really make up an OC and write about them because you can make up whatever you feel like but to capture the emotions and personality of the Mane 6 really shows me how good a writer you can be.

2)I am ok with human crossovers. I don't enjoy the ones where they stroll in with a gun all depressed and sad about their life. However, I like the idea of integrating nice humans into Equestria. It adds a flare to the story due to the fact that no pony knows what the creature is and the reactions of the Mane 6 is usually very interesting and contrasting to read.

Question 2: What are your thoughts of humans crossing over into the MLP:FiM universe in anyway?

• I think it could work if done correctly but the concept reminds me too much of a few shows from the 80's and 90's where kids get sucked into a video game.

Oh no you di-ent just diss The Master of Games- CAPTAIN N!!!

On topic, using the main 6 can be tricky, as their personality traits and backgrounds have been established so there is little room given for further development if you wish for your story to remain somewhat canon. OC's work well, but if it contain too many it will become very boring and repetitive, to the reader as well as the author, if he/she plans on it to be a series of fanfics or one, very long one.

As for humans-people seem to have many different views on this. Some people hate it and other people could really care less. It seem that quite a few of the fanfics that contain humans-at least ones I've read-seem to have said human/s in the spotlight, with the ponies being nothing but pointless side characters that play little to no role in the actual plot. But I imagine that a decent pony/human fanfic can be pulled off.

But it is YOUR creation-not ours. So really, there's little sense in asking us what you should write. Write what YOU feel like writing.

Humans in equestriia is done really badly a lot, but if done well it can be good. I for instance, have an Idea for a fanfic in which Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns does a project where they transport the conciousness of several thousand Bronies into pony avatars to learn about our universe..

Dang. Didn't expect there to be a sudden hike in responses to this post while I was gone for the past few days. Once school lets out I plan on checking out these fanfics mentioned here and eventually writing my own.

I prefer fan-fics without humans and the mane 6. The mane 6 have very specific characters and really hard to write them like the creators of the show can. As for humans...well, they should stay away from the mlp universe unless a human from our universe gets transported to equestria in a form of a pony.

You pretty much just summed up my stance on fanfics involving the main characters of any series. :) Also, as for the human comment, that is what I pretty much have in mind for my story.

But it is YOUR creation-not ours. So really, there's little sense in asking us what you should write. Write what YOU feel like writing.

Haha. Maybe there isn't really any sense to it but like I said I'm just curious. I'm the stubborn sort that would write what I have in mind even if I got an overwhelmingly negative response to what I plan on doing. I mainly want to do this fanfic for me, to see if all this day dreaming I am doing at the end of my school year can translate over to writing. Hopefully it will end up as something worth reading.