Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you miss about the earlier seasons?

Meeps

For me, I have no idea why, but I miss Twilight's old library! her new castle is all glitz and glam, but it doesn't have any of the cozy-home feeling the library had. I realize this may have been intentional, but I remember being new to the show and watching her spend her first night in the library and being very charmed by the layout and design of it, haha! :P

Is there anything you guys miss from the earlier episodes?

• Brohoof 7

I miss the elements of harmony, I miss how Celestia and the other alicorns were treated with far more seriousness and gravity in the early seasons (being immortals who literally control their world and make it run, and everypony INSTANTLY fell to the ground before them whenever they showed up), I miss the original changelings.

• Brohoof 3

I miss Twilight Snarkle back in S1/S2. Like I still love Twilight, but those were where I felt she was at her best

• Brohoof 7

(edited)
2 hours ago, Hot Rod said:

I miss Twilight Snarkle back in S1/S2. Like I still love Twilight, but those were where I felt she was at her best

Me too, I miss funny Twily :( . I also miss more adventure episodes with a random motherfucker screwing around, like the dragon or the hydra. Last time that happened, was with the chimera, and that was once in an eternity. Oh, I also miss Equestria at night, as I think it's more magical like that :icwudt:

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 4

7 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

I miss how Celestia and the other alicorns were treated with far more seriousness and gravity in the early seasons (being immortals who literally control their world and make it run, and everypony INSTANTLY fell to the ground before them whenever they showed up).

I just wanted to say this. Also do I miss the minor villains who would pop-up in one episode. :umad:

• Brohoof 2

Not really anything. The show is progressively better with each season.

I guess the only thing would be I wish a lot of the songs didn't sound like shitty pop songs. I liked when they sounded like the show-stopping numbers that they are.

It gives off the impression that instead of standing out at the risk of a smaller audience they just want to appeal to the same generic masses that random chick flicks get. Those types of movies use a similar music style and it's really just the most boring thing you can do with musical numbers.

Ironically, the mass appeal strategy will drive people away more or at best make it completely forgettable.

• Brohoof 3

I miss when Twilight was an interesting character, I thought that she had the potential to be a great protagonist of the show and had a really great personality, and also Pinkie wasn't as annoying as she is now, but then the S4 Finale happened and I rather not discuss what happened to our beloved protagonist afterwards.

I don't really miss much; TBH. I like that the show has changed over time and that the cast of characters have grown in their own way, and  also love that other characters have been given the spotlight as well. Adds some nice variety; IMO.

• Brohoof 4

7 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

What I miss when villains weren't  redeemed all the freaking time.

THIS SO FREAKING MUCH.
I think faust and the original crew leaving is a big part of that-- Faust created Gilda as an explicit statement that you CANNOT just befriend everyone no matter how hard you try. (Granted, I also think she made gilda a bit too sympathetic for that XD). Faust had specifically stated she hated how girls entertainment had a tendency to shy away from fighting to solve problems and end with the villain turning good just because a protagonist started crying.

Now? its almost the opposite, no matter how evil the character is, all you need is a friendship speech, and suddenly everything's okay! (The changelings are a big offender. I'm seriously hoping the upcoming episode with pharynx ends up with a bunch of changelings reverting and leaving the hive, with only a small number of them staying reformed as the minority).

I don't HATE reformations, I actually really like it when done OCCASIONALLY. but when its done EVERYTIME, or destroys a good antagonist by radically altering their personality, I just *blegh*

• Brohoof 6

Twilight being interesting is a pretty big one. She's getting better lately, but man, it seemed like she was only getting more and more boring following the season 3 finale. 

I also miss the relatively low stakes of earlier seasons. 5 was especially bad for trying to make everything big in some way or another, and the show's improved since then, but I still don't think it has quite the light comedic touch that it used to.

Furthermore, while I like that the show's finally trying to branch out a little with its songs, I miss the big flashy showtunes which the show used to be full of. They still pop up now and again (every song in "A Hearth's Warming Tail" is one of the show's best), but in recent seasons the songs have often sounded kinda samey, even when I've liked them. 

• Brohoof 4

The earlier seasons especially for season 1 has virtually some long scenes without any background music. It actually was fairly nice to only hear the voices and dialogue of the characters with only minor emphasis in background music. Compared to now, the show is pretty "noisy" with background music and sounds effects in the intention of grabbing interests from the audience instead of having more dialogue. 

• Brohoof 1

On 7/5/2017 at 9:08 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

I miss how Celestia and the other alicorns were treated with far more seriousness and gravity in the early seasons (being immortals who literally control their world and make it run, and everypony INSTANTLY fell to the ground before them whenever they showed up)

I do think its interesting how ponies immediately bowing in Luna and Celestia's presence suddenly seemed to end. I don't remember when I noticed, though.

On 7/6/2017 at 0:07 AM, Steve Piranha said:

I also miss more adventure episodes with a random motherfucker screwing around, like the dragon or the hydra.

This. I even miss seeing characters pop up and control the flow of an episode, like Iron Will the minotaur. The variety was nice.

On 7/6/2017 at 8:38 AM, PathfinderCS said:

I don't really miss much; TBH. I like that the show has changed over time and that the cast of characters have grown in their own way, and  also love that other characters have been given the spotlight as well. Adds some nice variety; IMO.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not missing anything. I am also very pleased with the direction the show is going so far, this season kind of redeemed the show for me.

I think what I miss most is the feeling of discovery that came with exploring Ponyville, the Crystal Empire, etc. for the first time along with a realistically imperfect main character. I understand that nearly everything has and somewhat loses that discovery phase (I still remember how enchanted I was when first picking up the book and watching the first Harry Potter, for instance), although the best shows and books keep up the fresh content to keep their fans excited and happy.

I think that as we become more familiar with the world of MLP, we become a bit more familiar with what to expect, and that's not a bad thing. For me, the show is doing a great job of keeping the scent of fresh cookies wafting, and I'm still following their bread trail while expecting great things. One of the things that charmed me so much with The Perfect Pear was discovering two new characters and their personalities, and being able to fit them into that blank spot in the Apple family I've come to know so well!

On 7/6/2017 at 10:53 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

Furthermore, while I like that the show's finally trying to branch out a little with its songs, I miss the big flashy showtunes which the show used to be full of. They still pop up now and again (every song in "A Hearth's Warming Tail" is one of the show's best)

I didn't think about this til I read your comment, but I seriously do miss how big the older songs were! At the Gala and Winter Wrap Up were two big ones that I remember quite fondly. Upon reading your comment, I think I'll go back and try to finish A Hearth's Warming Tail. I think that Starlight was a little too new for me to be invested, and for whatever reason I couldn't get through the episode. Could've also been the fact it was nowhere near to winter time and I just let it slide, I can't recall!

1 hour ago, Meeps said:

I didn't think about this til I read your comment, but I seriously do miss how big the older songs were! At the Gala and Winter Wrap Up were two big ones that I remember quite fondly. Upon reading your comment, I think I'll go back and try to finish A Hearth's Warming Tail. I think that Starlight was a little too new for me to be invested, and for whatever reason I couldn't get through the episode. Could've also been the fact it was nowhere near to winter time and I just let it slide, I can't recall!

It's truly one of my favourite episodes of the entire show. 

Not too much honestly. Twilight's snarky attitude was interesting, sure, and I miss her old home, but besides that, I honestly prefer the seasons 4 and forward, season 6 less so.

I think the newer seasons have done a much better job of showing character growth and the season arcs are mostly pretty good. 

Season 1 is the worst season for me by far honestly. 

• Brohoof 1

What I miss in the show are elements that we cannot return to, and that I do not desire to return to. The moments that conjure the same wistfulness of a day in your past that was remarkable, yet led to other moments steeped in equal bliss ... the magic of fathoming nostalgia's blessed curse. 

Unicorn Twilight, the CMC's blank flanks, Rarity dreaming, and the library. I miss them and bid them well in equal measure -- happy for the kind embrace of the new dawning sun that replaced them all. 

• Brohoof 8

9 minutes ago, Jeric said:

What I miss in the show are elements that we cannot return to, and that I do not desire to return to. The moments that conjure the same wistfulness of a day in your past that was remarkable, yet led to other moments steeped in equal bliss ... the magic of fathoming nostalgia's blessed curse. 

Unicorn Twilight, the CMC's blank flanks, Rarity dreaming, and the library. I miss them and bid them well in equal measure -- happy for the kind embrace of the new dawning sun that replaced them all. 

I agree with you. I get a pang of nostalgia and I want to say even sadness when I think of Season 1 and 2. Unicorn Twily, that lovely tree house, the fantastic music. I really do miss those times.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The Sesame Street aspect of the show after the end of Season 2. Season 3 screwed it up IMO and the fan demand was all over the place on that one despite having shorter episodes. Plus, I'm a Faust-F:yay:t and considered a non-brony (originally an anti-brony) so my opinion is beyond biased. Scratch that more in the lines of a skeptic. >_>

Edited by ZethaPonderer

I notice the more "mechanical" aspect of the animation during the earlier episodes. Not that I'm actually missing the way it was animated but the feeling in knowing that it had changed in a way where it improved the dynamics really set it off.

Facial expressions are now much more expressive, the action depicted is now more fluid and the colors are more vivid. The show's earlier appearance had age well, like in a time when you know it's still in it's humble beginnings kind-of- feeling. Memories of old scenes that exhibits that earier animation style really shows that the show had progressed and it just leaves a feeling of good ol' nostalgia. 

• Brohoof 2

The only thing i really missed from earlier seasons is the humor, episodes in earlier seasons are more funny and more snarky, writers are more funny back then. I used to miss a lot of things from earlier seasons, but now i move on.

More Ponies!!!

• Brohoof 1