Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should the shows style be changed to be more like the 2017 movie?

Lunar Echo

Changing the Shows Style.  

50 users have voted

1. 1. Should the Regular Shows Style be Changed to be more like the 2017 Movie?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Unsure.
    • Other (explain below).

not because of "mama faust's work"

but because the actual one used in the show is what made it popular and it does work better in a psicological sense

generation 5 with another design? i would check it tho

Although I appreciate them trying something new for once, there are many bad things about the new movie's style. The thick colored outlines don't really work with the semi-soft shading, at least not for me. Not to even mention princess Luna and Cadance's eye-to-head ratio (that's some nightmare fuel, no pun intended).

I'm glad they finally gave Luna her own throne and I hope most of the Canterlot throne room changes from the movie make it in the next season of the show. However, I don't like the light blue hue the Canterlot castle seems to have in the trailer. It just looks too similar to the crystal palace and Twilight's castle.

So overall, I don't think the movie's style should be our goal, but as usual, I'd be happy if we got some more detailed backgrounds and more complex CELL shading depending on the specific scene's lighting (time of day, etc.)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to see the whole movie to see what I think completely of the art style. As of now, It looks like they did a good job with the shading and overall smoothness, but I find the differences are a bit jarring. Their eyes seem bigger which makes them look younger. One of the things that I initially liked about the show is the fact that the Mane 6 (NOT EQG) are post high school age. Their heads also seem to have more defined cheeks/jaw (especially noticeable on Twilight) vs the usual spherical/circular head shape of the show. It just looks weird.

I don't think the show is going to change over to Toon Boom for animation because they already have everything made and saved in Flash. To remake everything needed would cost Hasbro so much time-wise to do such a thing. Who knows how much they could use from the "snazzed up" movie assets because they sure aren't going to be spending as much on the show maintaining that high of an art standard.

The workflow is also an issue.

DHX in Canada sets up the scenes and then sends them to Top Draw in the Philippines with storyboards and instructions where a lot of the actual animating gets done. After that they go back to Canada where Jim and his crew finish up. They are pretty much working on parts of most episodes at the exact same time with earlier ones a little more forward obviously. They aren't finished with the later episodes when the first ones are airing.

SOOO the animators would either,

A.) Adapt to Toon Boom - which would probably slow production WAY down for a while since it's almost starting from scratch :confused:

B.) Get fired and Hasbro would have a different company using Toon Boom take over the bulk of animating. :(

So basically its better to go by the old saying- If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

Season 9 took some cheeks from the movie, so I really had a problem with that. The Movie's style really isn't the thing Bronies fell in love with when they found FIM. Else they would have loved the previous generations as well

• Brohoof 1

I’ve never liked it when their designs were altered which is why I always avoid the spin-offs. :sealed: The movie and Rainbow Road-Trip were big exceptions. I adore how they look! Naturally, they had to look different for a cinematic release! :twi: And I think they looked gorgeous! :please: Which is why I was very happy to see that carry over into Rainbow Road-Trip. :ph3ar: As for it remaining on the show full-time, I don’t know, because it would be quite jarring to make that transition but for making the occasional reappearance for a special, I’m all for it! :pinkie:

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 3

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I say no. I love how the movie looks, I see it as the most beautiful art style ever created! But in my opinion it wouldn't work for the series itself so well. It quickly would become boring and wear out. The more detailed it becomes, the more "realistic" it looks, the more you have to apply realism to it (that's just my opinion and experience). Funny moments will become creepy or uncanny valley. The other option would be to leave many funny ideas away and not even implement them. Such a detailed design works better for a serious show. Or movie, like in this case, they used it wisely. That's what I like and prefer at least. :)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm not a big fan of the MLP Movie or Rainbow Roadtrip animation style to be completely honest

so, I don't think I'd like if FiM changed after all their time using the style of Flash that we're used to. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

I think I kinda like the FiM style a little more than the 2017 movie and Rainbow Roadtrip style. It's still really cute though.

So nah, I don't think I'd like if FiM changed up the style too much.