Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celebrity characters getting marketed more?

CastletonSnob

They're marketing the celebrities because no one really knows about the mane cast VAs(except for maybe Tara Strong) while the celebrity names will draw a lot more attention to the average movie goer

Which really blows because it fucks over the mane VAs who will likely bring their A Game to the movie and their characters, and they helped make FiM as popular as it was and have probably done a lot more for the movie than the celebrity actors

• Brohoof 3

42 minutes ago, Hot Rod said:

They're marketing the celebrities because no one really knows about the mane cast VAs(except for maybe Tara Strong) while the celebrity names will draw a lot more attention to the average movie goer

Which really blows because it fucks over the mane VAs who will likely bring their A Game to the movie and their characters, and they helped make FiM as popular as it was and have probably done a lot more for the movie than the celebrity actors

I agree completely with this. I wouldn't call it unfair so much as smart hiring on the casting directors part. Though the pony community is very large, outside the realm of children and families, bringing in big names may also squash the thought that MLP is something "weird" or for a certain group of people (children, brownies,etc). It's similar to, if not completely, celebrity endorsements. In parents and adults not exposed but interested in ponies minds, they may think, "Well if it's good enough for (insert big celeb here) then I can be open minded to it." And then they go and see it or take their family and then our canvass grows and grows! 

Then it also opens the door for our beloved VA's of the shows to be recognized as well. They benefit from it too in a way. 

So I don't see it as a bad thing honestly. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Do you worry that the celebrities and their characters in the movie will get more marketing than the main cast (Tara, Ashleigh, Andrea, etc)? 

Why do you think they might get more?

No, I don't. But it's true, but also make sense that the celebrities are being more marketed. It may suck, but it's the smart thing to do, and I would do the same in the marketers' place, as the average movie goer may know at least one of the celebs, and that sells; in contrast of the regular cast that the average movie goer most likely never heard. 

3 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Do you worry that the celebrities and their characters in the movie will get more marketing than the main cast (Tara, Ashleigh, Andrea, etc)? 

Why do you think they might get more?

Sadly, I do think the celebrity VA's are being marketed more-- this is because the corporate big wigs for movie studios want to bring in the mainstream audience, not the fans-- They figure that, no matter what, they got the fans coming in to see the movie, even if they just crapped in a box and slapped the pony name on it, so they're trying to bring in the people who've NEVER heard of ponies before outside of the 80s to come in with their kids to see the movie, and to do that, they want to push that they have alot of fancy big name actors in the movie.
Its like that leaked Transcript memo from that sony pictures person who was slamming meghan about how the "point" of songs was to have them sung by famous people.

So long as they keep the mane six in the spotlight, I'll be okay with these VAs. I however DO greatly worry that skystar and Tempest shadow will eclipse everyone but Twilight in importance.

Given how Hasbro would want to appeal to the general movie going public and not just the fans, it makes sense for the celebrities to be advertised over the mane 6 voice actresses, because they would be more well known and able to attract said group of people to the film by having a recognizable name attached to the film.

13 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

Given how Hasbro would want to appeal to the general movie going public and not just the fans, it makes sense for the celebrities to be advertised over the mane 6 voice actresses, because they would be more well known and able to attract said group of people to the film by having a recognizable name attached to the film.

At least we should be happy that the rest of the characters are keeping their regular voice cast....... UNLIKE THE NINJAGO MOVIE :lol: 

Eh, it's kinda expected. I mean, it's sad that the mane VAs don't get marketed enough but it's all based on popularity. They want to market the movie not just to the intended demographic and the fandom, but also to the general movie goer. The only people who might recognize names like Tara Strong or Andrea Libman are hardcore animation buffs which is a pretty small demographic to aim for. The general movie goer will however, recognize names like Kristen Chenowith and Emily Blunt to to their big relevance on the Broadway scene, which does appeal more to the general movie goer.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Leave a Whisper said:

Hasbro has always done this with their movies.

It just is and I don't see any reason to fuss about it.

That is true: I've never actually seen any Transformers movie but I know Shia LeBeouf, Megan Fox, Josh Duhamel, John Turturro, Mark Walhberg, and Stanley Tucci. But ask me any of the Autobots or Decepticons I couldn't tell you any of their voices. (I want to say Hugo Weaving is Megatron, from a reference in a Matrix animation I've seen but I may be wrong). And that's just from the trailers.

• Brohoof 1

As a business, Hasbro wants the MLP Movie to rack in money and what better way than to rely on overexposing the celebrity voice artists and the characters to build up the hype so that in turn, kids and fans will want to go out and buy the toys of these characters thus giving Hasbro more money. All animated movies do this where celebrities are used to provide the hype and to give audiences something to look forward to as regular voice artists just don't have the same kind of charm. With regards to the MLP voice cast, only Tara Strong is recognized for what she has done in the profession both in and out of MLP. The rest of them aren't really well known outside of MLP unless you happen to know where to look.

• Brohoof 1

12 hours ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

Eh, it's kinda expected. I mean, it's sad that the mane VAs don't get marketed enough but it's all based on popularity. They want to market the movie not just to the intended demographic and the fandom, but also to the general movie goer. The only people who might recognize names like Tara Strong or Andrea Libman are hardcore animation buffs which is a pretty small demographic to aim for. The general movie goer will however, recognize names like Kristen Chenowith and Emily Blunt to to their big relevance on the Broadway scene, which does appeal more to the general movie goer.

Plus it got three guys that'll catch the attention of Marvel fans. We got Sabretooth (though in one of the crappy movies :dash: ), Gamora, and the guy who stole the Ant-Man movie :D

1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

We got Sabretooth

Then again, they barely used him in the trailer. if you hadn't been keeping up with info about the movie you'd be forgiven for thinking Tempest was the main villain of the movie.

Kind of annoying, can barely get a feel from him from the trailer.

(edited)
On 7/13/2017 at 11:04 AM, KH7672 said:

That is true: I've never actually seen any Transformers movie but I know Shia LeBeouf, Megan Fox, Josh Duhamel, John Turturro, Mark Walhberg, and Stanley Tucci. But ask me any of the Autobots or Decepticons I couldn't tell you any of their voices. (I want to say Hugo Weaving is Megatron, from a reference in a Matrix animation I've seen but I may be wrong). And that's just from the trailers.

Leonard Nimoy and Orson Wells were in the original TF movie. And of course  famous musician Scatman Crothers voiced Jazz and Blaster before he passed away.

Danny DeVito, Madeline Khan, Taylor Russi and Rhea Perlman were in the original MLP movie.

I dunno if they changed any of the usual GI Joe cast out in favor of celebrities? 

On 7/13/2017 at 6:49 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

As a business, Hasbro wants the MLP Movie to rack in money and what better way than to rely on overexposing the celebrity voice artists and the characters to build up the hype so that in turn, kids and fans will want to go out and buy the toys of these characters thus giving Hasbro more money. All animated movies do this where celebrities are used to provide the hype and to give audiences something to look forward to as regular voice artists just don't have the same kind of charm. With regards to the MLP voice cast, only Tara Strong is recognized for what she has done in the profession both in and out of MLP. The rest of them aren't really well known outside of MLP unless you happen to know where to look.

Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Tammy Grimes, Nancy Cartwright, Charles Adler, Susan Blu.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

I actually didn't recognize any of the celebrity names.For me, the mane 6 VA's are famous, just because I know nothing about any others really. So for me at least, its bad that they aren't getting enough recognition. But I'll live with it

8 hours ago, Leave a Whisper said:

Leonard Nimoy and Orson Wells were in the original TF movie. And of course  famous musician Scatman Crothers voiced Jazz and Blaster before he passed away.

Don't forget John Moschitta, the Micro Machines Guy (He's a celebrity to me!)

Still that was back in the 80s movie (when the Transformers were the actual stars.....sigh.............) and I was more alluding to Hasbro's celebrity marketing nowadays.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Leave a Whisper said:

I remember someone who actually went to see the movie because he thought Leonard Nimoy "was in" the film. Afterwards he was royally pissed because his words "Nimoy was not in the film, just a bunch of stupid cartoon robots!"

Wonder if anyone will go see this new film and be like "My favorite actor was not in this... just some damn horses!!"

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Leave a Whisper said:

Frank Welker, Peter Cullen, Tammy Grimes, Nancy Cartwright, Charles Adler, Susan Blu.

They would have been perfect celebrity voice artists since they are well known in the field.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 7/15/2017 at 5:15 PM, KH7672 said:

Don't forget John Moschitta, the Micro Machines Guy (He's a celebrity to me!)

Still that was back in the 80s movie (when the Transformers were the actual stars.....sigh.............) and I was more alluding to Hasbro's celebrity marketing nowadays.

Yup him too.

On 7/15/2017 at 10:22 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

They would have been perfect celebrity voice artists since they are well known in the field.

It would definitely be a treat to see some of the old MLP voice talent brought back.

For those of you who don't know;

Frank Welker voiced the Ghost and Bray

Peter Cullen voiced Ogg and Captain Crab-nasty.

Tammy Grimes voiced Catrina

Nancy Cartwright voiced Gusty and several of the Bushwoolies and I think a couple other ponies.

Charles Adler voiced Spike and some of the Bushwoolies.

Susan Blu voiced Paradise and Plooma.

Doubt we'll get Frank Welker or Peter Cullen anytime soon, they're busy with the Transformers. 

I don't think Tammy Grimes is around anymore and I don't know if Susan Blue still does voice acting.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

5 hours ago, Leave a Whisper said:

It would definitely be a treat to see some of the old MLP voice talent brought back.

For those of you who don't know;

Frank Welker voiced the Ghost and Bray

Peter Cullen voiced Ogg and Captain Crab-nasty.

Tammy Grimes voiced Catrina

Nancy Cartwright voiced Gusty and several of the Bushwoolies and I think a couple other ponies.

Charles Adler voiced Spike and some of the Bushwoolies.

Susan Blu voiced Paradise and Plooma.

Doubt we'll get Frank Welker or Peter Cullen anytime soon, they're busy with the Transformers. 

I don't think Tammy Grimes is around anymore and I don't know if Susan Blue still does voice acting.

That would be awesome beyond all reasoning if they were to bring these voice talents on board. Unfortunately, I doubt Hasbro would be willing to do that as in their minds, they have all the talent they need for the movie.