Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will the stigma of MLP cause the movie to underperform?

CastletonSnob

I don't know. I suppose not, since almost every reactor is in theaters and/or will not react to it. I think Hasbro has strong copyright issues on it, so I think many people are still going to the theater to watch it on the première, since they won't wait, like 3 months before you can watch it on the internet. 

I don't think it will cause it to "under-perform" but I do think it will prevent it from doing as well as it would have the potential to. It is the type of film that for many just would feel safer watching it in private as strange as that sounds. I think for those who can find friends or family to go with and such, it will be a lot easier. Many look in the mirror and see themselves before they go to the theater, just an ordinary person... get up to the ticket counter to get their ticket and they start feeling or acting like this.

SuspiciousPerson%20cartoon.jpg

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
15 minutes ago, GrimGrimoire said:

I don't think it will cause it to "under-perform" but I do think it will prevent it from doing as well as it would have the potential to. It is the type of film that for many just would feel safer watching it in private as strange as that sounds. I think for those who can find friends or family to go with and such, it will be a lot easier. Many look in the mirror and see themselves before they go to the theater, just an ordinary person... get up to the ticket counter to get their ticket and they start feeling or acting like this.

SuspiciousPerson%20cartoon.jpg

Hey... hey, you got the stuff?

*is handed mlp tickets covered in glitter which spills and sticks everywhere* Damn, its tainted! Everyone is on to me! *jumps out window*

Tbh its a stigma for me tho lol.

(half a closet brony)

Edited by CuriUndersXeno
  • Brohoof 3

Not sure of the stigma that you are talking about. Are we talking about the previous gens, some of which were terrible? Terrible previous incarnations didn't stop the Cars movies from being made into a trilogy of garbage. I am not really worried on how this particular film will perform in sales.

14 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Do you think that the stigma associated with the show will cause people to not watch the movie in theaters, causing it to underperform at the box office?

I think it will make enough money to turn a profit, but yes, I think it will cause it to underperform in comparison to its potential and hasbro's expectations.

its going to be hard as hell to sell this movie to little boys-- for example, look at other little kids movies, like trolls. Trolls is a very traditionally "girl" centric franchise, yet its not concretely entrenched in the public mindset as a pure girls franchise, so it was easier to be sold/marketed to little girls. MLP though? EVERYONE knows that's the "girls" franchise, its got a stigma against it that's very, very entrenched in the public mind.

Perhaps, but ponies, while still carrying the stigma, it has diminished in comparison due to FiM's success, so it still has a chance to at least earn withing expectations.

11 hours ago, Leave a Whisper said:

No but the stigma of it being a Hasbro movie likely will. Especially given the newest flop that is TF The Last Knight.

I don't think the brand Hasbro will do any harm to the pony movie. Transformers flopped for being a series of increasingly crappy movies, plus the fact that seemingly people are getting tired of remaking well known properties, that are usually shit, as seen with the Mummy. In that regard, I don't think ponies will be affected by it, as it'll be the first pony movie in theaters worldwide, but it still has the girls toys stigma to deal with. At least the trailer showed these horses mean business, so it has a chance maybe :huh:  

47 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Perhaps, but ponies, while still carrying the stigma, it has diminished in comparison due to FiM's success, so it still has a chance to at least earn withing expectations.

I don't think the brand Hasbro will do any harm to the pony movie. Transformers flopped for being a series of increasingly crappy movies, plus the fact that seemingly people are getting tired of remaking well known properties, that are usually shit, as seen with the Mummy. In that regard, I don't think ponies will be affected by it, as it'll be the first pony movie in theaters worldwide, but it still has the girls toys stigma to deal with. At least the trailer showed these horses mean business, so it has a chance maybe :huh:  

still don't know what they were thinking with the mummy.

When people hear "Mummy remake!" they want a remake of the brendon fraiser movie, not the simple Hammer films mummy. Not saying that there's not a market for that kind of thing, but the Brendon fraiser one is the one that people really remember fondly.

I don't think the current show would had a negative impact on the Movie and certainly not for it's stigma. The stigma of FiM is the complete opposite of what the previous gens had ever offered. FiM is successful for MLP, so that might translate well for the Movie too. 

If your talking about the other stigma behind the show which is the Fandom, that stigma might resurface for a bit but that's 7 years ago. People need to get over it really. Most likely if they weren't never interested in the show then they're also not interested in the Movie either. 

(edited)

Not really, for the fact that it does have a very pronounced fandom even if someone might not feel comfortable going to the theaters to watch the movie. You will have the families with a little girls and then you'll of course have the adult fan.

Sure one may say the stigma could have an effect, both for with older generations perhaps as well as of course the fact that it's so entrenched with the idea of being a little girls snow. Although, I do think it will do well, at least well enough.

All in all though I do think they'll be plenty of people going to the theaters, unless my faith in the fandom is misplaced and they show the same behavior they did with the Brony Documentary movie. Sighs, I really hope they wont do that though.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

2 minutes ago, EquestrianScholar said:

Chuckles, I am actually a huge fan of Cats Don't Dance.

Oh come on man, that 1997 movie DID flopped in theatres actually yes.

Just now, MAIKUN said:

Oh come on man, that 1997 movie DID flopped in theatres actually yes.

Yes, it did, and now has a cult following. Lauren Faust was actually an animator for that movie.

(edited)
1 minute ago, MAIKUN said:

And what about Zootopia? I heard the movie sucked

Who in Celestia's name told you that Zootopia sucked??! The movie has been highly praised, considered of the best modern Disney movies of late. Pushing just how far you can take CGI technology with the way they did the fur, as well in how they are able to weave in racial profiling, stereotyping, and generally how we treat others because of appearance or race. Judy and Nick had wonderful chemistry, the way they played off of each other very well done, as well their personalities and character.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

1 minute ago, EquestrianScholar said:

Who in Celestia's name told you that Zootopia sucked??! The movie has been highly praised, considered of the best modern Disney movies of late. Pushing just how far you can take CGI technology with the way they did the fur, as well in how they are able to weave in racial profiling, stereotyping, and generally how we treat others because of appearance or race. Judy and Nick had wonderful chemistry, the way they played off of each other very well done, as well their personalities and character.

I'm NOT personally a fan of Zootopia...sorry.