Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Starlight Glimmer older than the Mane Six?

Azureth

I honestly thought she might be a tad younger than all of them, though I can't say I have any evidence back that claim up. There is just something about her that gives me a sense that she isn't as matured as that others, though that could be from other causes.

• Brohoof 2

I can't see any of them being more than three or four years apart from each other, and Starlight especially being more on the younger side.

If anyone in that friend group is older it'd be Sunset Shimmer only because she was the old pupil so she's older than Twilight and really Rebecca's voice stays in a low vocal range making her sould more mature, a lot different than Kelly's but I guess what do you expect when you're voiced by innocent and sometimes naive Barbie.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Azureth said:

I always felt SG was significantly older than the Mane Six, like 10 or so years.

I share the opinion that she's older than the Mane6, but I think 10 years is too much. I wouldn't put her over 4 years older

3 hours ago, Hierok said:

If she is older, and you said like 10 years, it is weird that she is so dependent on Twilight.

Chronological age means nothing, but it's true that her personality feels less mature, but we have to remember her youth wasn't the best put there

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Chronological age means nothing, but it's true that her personality feels less mature, but we have to remember her youth wasn't the best put there

No it doesn't, but for me it does. I always look up to older people. I don't know why. :orly:

But if you say four year, do you mean four year older then Twilight or four year older then Fluttershy?

46 minutes ago, Hierok said:

No it doesn't, but for me it does. I always look up to older people. I don't know why. :orly:

But if you say four year, do you mean four year older then Twilight or four year older then Fluttershy?

Four years older than whoever is the oldest Mane6 :icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

If we look back on the season 5 primere. We saw Starlight Glimmer spoke in a benevolent tone pretty much what a mother would say. So, my guess is she's (slightly older than the Mane Six as she learned all sorts of magic even Twilight didn't knew.

• Brohoof 3

I've always viewed her as older than the mane 6, maybe by about 5 years. I'd say she really isn't all that dependent on Twilight or the mane 6 beyond learning how to socialize normally. She is very adept at magic maybe moreso than Twilight is considering Twilight had a teacher while Starlight didn't. 

• Brohoof 1

Due to Starlight's voice actor; Kelly Sheridan, she makes Starlight sound older than the mane 6. Voices aside though, I think that Starlight is the youngest in age because she's dependent on Twilight as a mentor. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Star Trail said:

Due to Starlight's voice actor; Kelly Sheridan, she makes Starlight sound older than the mane 6. Voices aside though, I think that Starlight is the youngest in age because she's dependent on Twilight as a mentor. 

I don't think that's to do with her physical age though; her life was shattered and Twi offered to help her start over.

• Brohoof 2

I always felt she was older, partly because of Kelly Sheridan, partly because of Sunburst also looking and sounding older. Partly because there's a lot of hints to a fairly extensive history before the mane met her, and because it further justifies how talented at magic she is, having a few extra years on her.

Partly because it makes her relationship with Twilight cuter, that she's much older and less wise than her mentor. Makes Twilight seem a little more special.

Partly because... well, I'm in my thirties and I identify a lot with Starlight, so it's nice to think she's around the same age.

• Brohoof 5

On 7/16/2017 at 0:33 AM, CypherHoof said:

I don't think that's to do with her physical age though; her life was shattered and Twi offered to help her start over.

I think she isn't as mature as Twilight, at least. Who knows? they can be just a few months or years apart. 

6 hours ago, Star Trail said:

I think she isn't as mature as Twilight, at least. Who knows? they can be just a few months or years apart. 

It's possible, but I am thinking of the timescales with Sunburst in Celestia's school. Twi didn't seem to know him, so that would imply his tenure there didn't overlap hers... although I guess he could have been there while Twi was in ponyville, depending on how fast he washed out.

• Brohoof 1

I always saw the mane 6 within 3 years from each other (being RD the youngest and Fluttershy the oldest), and it seems to me that Starlight is at that range too.

My personal order from older to youngest would be:

Fluttershy > Rarity > Pinkie Pie > Starlight > Applejack > Twilight > Rainbow Dash

• Brohoof 1

I've always thought Starlight is about some years older than the rest of the Mane Six (but I also think there are age differences between them). The show doesn't tell anything to prove this, actually, but it is known that Starlight studied magic during years.

• Brohoof 1

NMy headcanon theory is that Starlight is roughly 5 to 10 years older than the Mane Six. For one thing, there's her voice:

On 7/16/2017 at 0:15 AM, Star Trail said:

But who says a mentor must be older? Starlight and Twilight have had very different life experiences and maturity does not always equal age. And I find it hard to believe that a pony who only recently reached adulthood could set up a community like her village and manipulate all her fellow villagers into following her like a cult leader.

Sunburst also comes off as older than the Mane Six from both his voice and his demeanor, and it seems that him and Starlight are about the same age.

• Brohoof 2

Starlight I believe is the strongest leader of the bunch - this could make her seem older than she really is. The show seems to put them all in the relatively the same age category though. Starlight really has to hold back her instincts to lead when in the company of the Mane 6 to entertain her willingness to change.

(edited)

She does give off the aura of being older. She's very experienced with spell casting, and most adolescents or young adults don't quite have the experience or wherewithal, to run an whole community. And while Starlight is a bit naive at the nuances of friendship, Twilight herself doesn't seem as mature as Starlight. More practiced in friendship yes, but in things like life skills? Acting like an adult? Starlight seems to have that down better where as there's something a bit kiddish about Twilight. 

Instead of ages, Twi strikes me as a college freshman, where as Starlight seems like a college graduate. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 2