Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Plot spoilers ahoy! (german info)

Unlikeable Pony

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/07/new-german-mlp-movie-synopsis-and.html

>Princess Twilight Sparkle is stuck in the middle of preparations for a big friendship festival, when the mighty Storm King and his unscrupulous commander Tempest Shadow invades Ponyville with their troops. The sinister dictator wants to conquer the Kingdom of Equestria, so that he can finally rule the entire world. Tempest herself originates from Equestria. During her childhood she lost her horn in an accident and thus also her magical abilities. She felt ostracized by the other ponies and changed to the side of evil. However, should Tempest succeed at stealing the four princesses' magical abilities, then the Storm King would give her back her horn.

>Tempest can quickly overhwlem the princesses of the Day, Night and Family. However, Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Friendship, will not give up so easily. Together with her best friends Applejack and Pinkie Pie; Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy; Rarity and baby dragon Spike, she flees to the south. There she hopes to find the legendary Queen of the Hippogriffs and to ally with her against the Storm King.

>While fleeing, Tempest Shadow is always hot on their heels. Twilight and Co. have their hooves full trying to constantly shake off their nasty pursuer. In addition, they have to weather tons of adventures. They encounter a shady tomcat called Capper, who offers to help them, but in truth is double-crossing them. They fly as stowaways in the airship of Captain Celaeno and her silly birds. Eventually, they land in the glittering underwater kingdom of Seaquestria, where Queen Novo has created an entirely new world. Before the Mane 6 can convince her to join them in the fight against the Storm King, Twilight has to first learn an important lesson...

Looks like the seaponies aren't actually "real" seaponies but its just a form they took when the hippogryphs fled under the ocean.

• Brohoof 2

Well, than answers a lot about the previously unknown hippogriffs. There was Stratus, but no sign of others like him. Looks like the sea ponies have been hippogriffs all along. I wonder in what myth they were based on :huh: 

1 hour ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

the mighty Storm King and his unscrupulous commander Tempest Shadow invades Ponyville with their troops

If by "Ponyville" they mean Canterlot, because the trailer obviously shows CANTERLOT.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

If by "Ponyville" they mean Canterlot, because the trailer obviously shows CANTERLOT.

The problem with PR people is that they don't always know the brand XD

Though I would love it if McCarthy wrote that and made the mistake in a fugue state caused by juggling so much and no sleep. 

7 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Al-Bundy-Well-Here-We-Go-Again.jpg

Why do they keep doing this?

Better than running off in cowardice, or the impending doom and omnipresent threat ... blah blah. The Mane Six need to get their asses handed to them. 

This formula can be traced back to Homer ... If this film is your tipping point ... you have a lot of books, movies, and tv to burn that came before. Good luck with that!

Of course if you wanted a reason that completely marginalizes you try this one: the target audience doesn't have much exposure to tropes yet. What we see as repetitive, the 6 year old will see as novel. Children's authors point this out often enough that I always thought it was taken for granted. It isn't laziness, it's ensuring reinforcement of traditional story telling that allows for a foundation that eventually allow children to grow into nitpicky film goers just like us. ;)

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Of course if you wanted a reason that completely marginalizes you try this one: the target audience doesn't have much exposure to tropes yet. What we see as repetitive, the 6 year old will see as novel. Children's authors point this out often enough that I always thought it was taken for granted. It isn't laziness, it's ensuring reinforcement of traditional story telling that allows for a foundation that eventually allow children to grow into nitpicky film goers just like us. ;)

Well, imagine a movie, be it theatrical, direct to video, etc, whose only plot is ponies having a good day. No worries, everyone is friendly, etc....... you know what suits it? BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING 

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

It IS from a german infodump, so its possible the germans have information that is slightly incorrect on things, such as saying "Ponyville" instead of canterlot, and calling Cadence the "princess of family".

9 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Al-Bundy-Well-Here-We-Go-Again.jpg

Why do they keep doing this?

Similiar to the above, I'm hoping this is just shoddy information and its NOT tempest who defeats them, but rather the storm king and his army.

Such as that tempest fights them, gets a few good hits in and then gets BTFO, and then the storm king steps in and just has them zerg rushed by the massively superior numbers of his soldiers there.

(edited)
On 14-7-2017 at 8:47 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

Tempest can quickly overhwlem the princesses of the Day, Night and Family. However, Twilight Sparkle, the Princess of Friendship, will not give up so easily. Together with her best friends Applejack and Pinkie Pie; Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy; Rarity and baby dragon Spike, she flees to the south. There she hopes to find the legendary Queen of the Hippogriffs and to ally with her against the Storm King.

Princess of Family? I think they mean Flurry Hearth.

Well, the princesses are useless again! This already brings my hopes down for the movie. 

(666)

Edited by Hierok

15 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Princess of Family? I think they mean Flurry Hearth.

I assumed they meant Cadence.

15 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Well, the princesses are useless again! This already brings my hopes down for the movie.

SOP for MLP though - the usual plot device so that Team Friendship can step up and win.

On 15/07/2017 at 3:08 AM, Jeric said:

The Mane Six need to get their asses handed to them.

Isn't that pretty much the plot to RR though, so that the white rang... erm Sunset Shimmer can save the day?

Come to think of it, I could TOTALLY see that - Team Friendship get the smackdown, and Sunset Shimmer returns to the Pony world to rescue them and help them finally win?

• Brohoof 1

For some reason I didn't expect Storm King and Tempest to be on the same side, but Stormy probably has his own agenda. And his abilities sound very Tirek-esque, which makes sense I suppose. 

Of course it sounds like the other princesses will get their asses kicked, but I find that way better than all the being captured for no reason like in the season 6 finale. Plus, we all know Twilight won't be able to handle them on her own, she will obviously need help from her friends, so, friendship theme. I am fine with that. It doesn't make anyone them look weak to me. 

Also interesting to see that about the seaponies. It sounds like they are not an actual race but rather some th ing created by magic, which explains why the make 6 can become that as well. I suppose that is a bit better, makes them a bit more interesting. 

Lastly, traitorous cat guy. Who could've guessed that. XD

Thanks to this my interest in the movie has actually increased. 

2 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Isn't that pretty much the plot to RR though, so that the white rang... erm Sunset Shimmer can save the day?

Come to think of it, I could TOTALLY see that - Team Friendship get the smackdown, and Sunset Shimmer returns to the Pony world to rescue them and help them finally win?

This would actually be a great idea. Pony Sunset is best Sunset

(edited)

4 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

To be fair, we haven't SEEN non-pony Sunset. She could be 20% more awesome :D

Make that 50% more amazing. :lol:

Edited by Hierok

(edited)

Awesome! :wub:

5 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

No, that would be a Pony-Sunny and Human-Sunny teamup eps :)

Equestria girls 5. I'm calling it!

Edited by Hierok

7 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Nah, called that one ages ago, and I doubt I was first  - it's a logical next step, what with Twi/SciTwi and everything :D 

Yeah me too. I actually call all new EG the return of Sunset! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Hierok said:

Yeah me too. I actually call all new EG the return of Sunset! :lol:

I do like the idea of a daring-do style human Sunny crossing over and becoming A K Yearling's rival (although I guess without wings escaping from the tops of temples gets harder :) )

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

That's not what a plot is, so ... no? The timing of the event in a story should also have a meaningful impact on the tone and what follows. The Mane Six getting trounced in Rainbow Rocks is nestled firmly within the final rising action elements leading to the end of the climax. The Mane Six getting their collective asses handed to them is part of the inciting incident. 

Basically having a tension builder like that early on psychologically primes the audience differently so what follows feels different. It's a vanilla story telling technique, but one that works. And yes I expect them to continue to get their asses handed to them during the rising action as well. 

If anyone here was hoping to see the writers reinvent the wheel, I think their expectation need to be brought back to reality. This isn't avant garde. Even Pixar doesn't stray from the classic building blocks of a story. 

What does matter is execution, something that once cannot see in a textual plot point reveal, or usually a trailer. So nobody here can say that this will or won't be well executed. 

6 minutes ago, A.V. said:

If Tempest's soldiers help her Zerg Rush the Princesses, then I'll understand.

But if it's just Tempest herself, then cue instant rage-quit.

This is what I'm afraid of. I hope the storm king has some kind of weapon to take out the princesses.