Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What episode would you show a newcomer?

CastletonSnob

Let's say you know someone who's interested in watching MLP, but doesn't know where to start, because there are 6 and a half seasons worth of episodes. What episode would you show him/her to become a fan?

• Brohoof 1

"A Dog and Pony Show" would be my choice, just because of how funny it was to me. More generally, I would pick either a particularly humorous episode (just like the aforementioned one) or an action-oriented one. The first episode does introduce the characters, but to me it doesn't represent the show at its best. I really fell in love with MLP after watching the third episode.

Considering how most people regard MLP before watching it, I would avoid showing the most cutesy episodes to break those prejudices. So fashion-themed episodes or ones with the Cutie Mark Crusaders would probably not be the best choice (though the CMC ones are among my personal favorites).

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the personality of the newcome, I'll pick the ep that he/she probably likes, so the chance of join the herd is up(hopefully); if dunno what she/he likes, just start from S1E01 and tell him/her the first 2 ep is bit of...'not very enjoyable' until ep 3

3 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

The first one. It is a great way to get acquainted with the characters, the world and the style of the show.

3 hours ago, Gestum said:

Well, you usually start a show with the first episode. So that would be my recommendation.

27 minutes ago, Compeador said:

Depends on the personality of the newcome, I'll pick the ep that he/she probably likes, so the chance of join the herd is up(hopefully); if dunno what she/he likes, just start from S1E01 and tell him/her the first 2 ep is bit of...'not very enjoyable' until ep 3

I agree with the above. I started with season one, episode one, why shouldn't everyone get that chance?

(edited)

may not be the "best", but I would show them (forgive me if I am wrong) princess twilight sparkle.

the episode when starlight goes back in time to stop the rainboom. I know its a two parter, but it would show how the characters are intertwined...

and also it would set them up for season 7, but they would have to go back to see where starlight comes from (the village of = )

......ok, I admit the real reason... just because young dash and flutter shy are sooo adorable!!!

and if the movie is great, I would just show them that... then this. lol.

Edited by Choros Isorropai

Well whenever I start watching a show I begin with the very first episode, so that's what I would show a newcomer.

Plus I generally believe that episode 1 does a pretty good job at introducing the characters and the show's world.

If you're trying to get someone interested in the show, I'd suggest Castle Mane-ia (s4ep3 I think it was).  It gives a good introduction to the Mane 6, without depending on prior episodes, and is mostly just a fun scooby-doo-esque adventure.  The only downside is spoiling Twilight's ascension, though they'll probably forget by the time they get to S4.

I wouldn't recommend the premier; it's poorly paced and tries to fit a seasons worth of exposition into 40 minutes.  It put me off watching the rest of the show for nearly 5 years.

(edited)
On 7/15/2017 at 1:57 AM, Choros Isorropai said:

may not be the "best", but I would show them (forgive me if I am wrong) princess twilight sparkle.

the episode when starlight goes back in time to stop the rainboom. I know its a two parter, but it would show how the characters are intertwined...

and also it would set them up for season 7, but they would have to go back to see where starlight comes from (the village of = )

......ok, I admit the real reason... just because young dash and flutter shy are sooo adorable!!!

and if the movie is great, I would just show them that... then this. lol.

This episode is "The Cutie Re-Mark."

Anyway, I'd probably pick one of the more humorous episodes of seasons 1-2: "A Dog and Pony Show" has already been mentioned, and that's a good one, but I'm even more partial to "Fall Weather Friends," and "The Return of Harmony" demonstrates the show's more plot-heavy side more amusingly than the premiere. If I want to show someone the show's weird side, "Lesson Zero" would also be a great contender. Personally, I found the pilot just fine and still have a bit of affection for it, but I actually didn't start with a specific episode at all. I was initially drawn in by random short clips on YouTube, which I found amusing enough to start the show, and here I am now. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

Personally, Amending Fences. It's a fantastic episode and really shows how deep the show can get.

• 4 years later...

Well, the first one is definitely a no  brainer. Besides the first one - if you want to show someone what the show can really do, there are some additional answers

- Hurriane Fluttershy

- The Final of Season 2 

- Final episode of season 4: Would blow definitely some minds and crash more than one prejudices

- Pinkie Pride would be a musical one with Weird Al

I wouldn't really go beyond s4 for this

Here is a batch of episodes I would recommend watching that gives a good feeling for different aspects of the show and properly shows off every main character: 

S1E7: Dragonshy - Really fun episode that shows the personalities of all the characters (particularly Fluttershy) as well as the more adventurous side of the show. 

S1S14: Suited For Success - Extremely charming episode that managed to make the mundane and girly concept of making dresses very charming and showed off how interesting and generous of a character Rarity is and how she is so much more than the fashionista stereotype. A great song on top of that.

S1E16: Sonic Rainboom - A very simple plot made very fun and charming due to a creative location and its humor, and shows off Rainbow Dash's character very well. 

S2E1/2: Return of Harmony - Fun adventure that expresses the core messages of the show very well with plenty of great humor and a great villain. Was my personal first episode and it really hooked me.

S2E3: Lesson Zero - Hillarious and oddly disturbing too, shows off everything great about Twilight. Also one of Spike's best appearances.

S2E14: The Last Roundup - Just a plain fun episode that shows off Applejack well.

S2E22: Hurricane Fluttershy - An extremely well done episode that managed to be very emotional, intense, mature, but also very fun and satisfying. Shows Fluttershy at her very best. (my personal favorite episode btw)

S2E25/26: Canterlot Wedding - Emotional, darker episode with great villains, action and songs

S3E3: Too Many Pinkie Pies - Hillarious episode that shows off Pinkie Pie's character perfectly. (this spot could easily be substituted for S1E25 Party of One.  I personally find this one funnier but you can't go wrong either way.)

S3E6: Sleepless in Ponyville - Very emotional and fun episode with fantastic animation, humor, and some intense moments. Also shows off the CMC well, especially Scootaloo.

I think these episodes represent a well rounded showing of the different aspects of the show at their best without spoiling the overall story much. I'm willing to bet that someone who likes these episodes would at least the first few seasons of MLP.

I would probably show something from Season 5, or Season 7. Why not "Stranger Than Fan Fiction"? That one is from Season 6, but yea. The key is to show that this is not just a show for young girls, and the show was still having a lot of those elements early on, so it gets a little difficult to prove that with just a Season 1 or Season 2 episode.

For early Seasons however, you do need a lot of Internet fans to back you up, to prove that the show is indeed something special.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...