Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Western vs Eastern unicorns

ManaMinori

I have been wondering ever since season 5's premier,  where Starlight Glimmer mentioned Eastern unicorn, Mage Meadowbrook, what the difference is, if any, between Equestria's Western unicorns and the Eastern unicorns from discord knows where. Could there be differences in magic? Appearance?  

Unicorns are a pretty western phenomenon. If she's referring to eastern as in middle or far east, then the only mythical creature we know that comes close to such a description would be the Kirin, the supposed part horse, part lion, part dragon. Image result for kirin

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Unicorns are a pretty western phenomenon. If she's referring to eastern as in middle or far east, then the only mythical creature we know that comes close to such a description would be the Kirin, the supposed part horse, part lion, part dragon. Image result for kirin

I think this is a more fitting picture for the Kirin species :0 

40645d3448623ef3b1cd48e5750e92a957e4337d

#Quartzy :P 

Also there's a thing called a Lushu, 

So Maybe an Eastern Unicorn would just be a Lushu with a magical horn thing

ed2ba599e8a141c401084f7d11075e5d--call-s

Edited by Vulcan
  • Brohoof 2

23 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

It could be interesting to see kirin Introduced in the show, but why would Twilight  (being Twilight), not correct Starlight, if they weren't actually unicorns? 

I do wonder if it's possible, also, for Eastern "unicorn" and Western magic can exist within the same body.

35 minutes ago, Hierok said:

With real horses I mean regular horses and not ponies. ;)

so like the Saddle Arabians?

odd, since people of Asian cultures are typically shorter than those of Western cultures, but maybe the pony world is opposite, where the Easterners are taller than the Westerners.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Nightmare Muffin said:

so like the Saddle Arabians?

odd, since people of Asian cultures are typically shorter than those of Western cultures, but maybe the pony world is opposite, where the Easterners are taller than the Westerners.

Remember that in the Eastern of the US lays Europe where the largest people on earth live. Go Holland! :lol:

On 7/16/2017 at 3:47 AM, Vulcan said:

40645d3448623ef3b1cd48e5750e92a957e4337d

Ayyyyyy :P 

I would certainly not be opposed to having Kirin in MLP as a standalone species (not the result of a a horse/pony x dragon pairing).That may just cause me to get back into watching the show again. 

I imagine Eastern Unicorns having features akin to equine-like creatures from Asian mythology. Perhaps they are typically tall, slender, and have lion-like tails. It'd be neat if their horns were curved as well! :) 

Their magic is conjured differently than that of Equestrian unicorns; therefore, it would take quite a bit of skill and studying for an Equestrian to alter their typical magical flow to use Eastern spells. 

• Brohoof 1

Eastern could refer to a whole other species, or it could just be the pony's place of origin. I, personally, think it's the second. 

If you think of Equestria as the USA, then Equestria would be located in the West of the world. This would mean this 'Eastern Unicorn' could be from Asia, Africa, Australia, or a number of different places. 

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

So Eastern unicorns would be a whole new species than Western unicorns? 

Or maybe subspecies: still unicorns, but they have a bit different appearance (like a different horn shape), but still unicorn ponies 

18 hours ago, Silver Note said:

Eastern could refer to a whole other species, or it could just be the pony's place of origin. I, personally, think it's the second. 

If you think of Equestria as the USA, then Equestria would be located in the West of the world. This would mean this 'Eastern Unicorn' could be from Asia, Africa, Australia, or a number of different places. 

Though while you desire no difference between Eastern and Western unicorns as a species, the show ifself states that there is at least some differences in magic- straight from Twilight and Starlight's mouth. Also interesting to note that the unicorn originally originated in Eastern culture, in our world, as a rhino, no less, which some explorer had mistaken as a mythical horned creature. 

• Brohoof 1

While I would love to see Kirins introduced into the series, I am pretty sure that Meadowbroke is just a regular unicorn and there isn't any differences between those from the east and those from the west in the show.

They sound like different races of unicorns, but we'll never know how different they are unless we see a side by side comparison.

5 minutes ago, Weles said:

They sound like different races of unicorns, but we'll never know how different they are unless we see a side by side comparison.

Might not be racially different, but instead have different bodies of magic knowledge, each having a separate research history?

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Might not be racially different, but instead have different bodies of magic knowledge, each having a separate research history?

The Eastern unicorns might be like Buddhist monks.

31 minutes ago, Weles said:

The Eastern unicorns might be like Buddhist monks.

"The four nations of the Unicorns lived in peace... but everything changed when King Sombre attacked...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, Marimo said:

East probably just refers to living in the lands across the ocean and to the east of Equestria.

By the way, this is Meadowbrook.

latest?cb=20170621021011

I think they might be retconning it so that the "eastern unicorns" part refers to Mistmane by association; as in "meadowbrook and the eastern unicorns" refers to her traveling with eastern unicorns, not her being one herself. Her being an earth pony kind of really only works if you wank it so the line's bit about eastern unicorns is referring to people she associated with.

As to why I think mistmane is an eastern unicorn, Mistmane and the villain she's fighting both have asian asthetics and are Physically different from Other unicorns, having cuved horns. I'm thinkin "curved horn= Eastern unicorn" might be a new rule.

I'm wondering about the 8 magical objects-- Its possible that it might not be ones SHE created, but just be referring to ones that she ecountered, since she IS an earth pony after all. The Magical Amulets of the sirens might even be One (or even three if it counts each piece as a seperate one) of the magical objects.

1489960__safe_mistmane_spoiler-colon-s07_carpet_clothes_discovery+family+logo_dragon_magic_solo_unicorn.png

4244334.png

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 2