Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv The Doctor is a Girl

Moved to Elsewhere

(edited)

Never seen Dr Who before, but can the Doctor work as a female? I don't see too much wrong with it, but I'd rather know more about the Doctor before judging, though at the end of the day all that matters is that she can play the role well

Edited by Whompy Whomperson

(edited)

I am not really interested in Dr Who, but I feel sorry for the sane fans who are going to have to deal with the obnoxious anti sjw folks who are going to throw a gigantic tantrum over this.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 4

I'm fine with this honestly. I really don't care if the Doctor's a man or woman or whatever else, as long as he/she is still the Doctor, I'm cool with it. She looks pretty "Doctor-y" to me too, looking forward to seeing how she does!

7 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

Never seen Dr Who before, but can the Doctor work as a female? I don't see too much wrong with it, but I'd rather know more about the Doctor before judging, though at the end of the day all that matters is that she can play the role well

I can't really think of any reason the Doctor couldn't work as a woman. It's already been established Time Lord's can change sex during Regeneration, and I don't view the Doctor as a particularly "Masculine" character that needs to be a man. His personality tends to change dramatically in some ways during regeneration anyway.

• Brohoof 2

52 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

I am not really interested in Dr Who, but I feel sorry for the sane fans who are going to have to deal with the obnoxious anti sjw folks who are going to throw a gigantic tantrum over this.

They can throw their temper tantrum and then disappear from the Doctor Who fandom. Nothing of value will have been lost.

Don't really understand how anyone like that could watch Doctor Who, to begin with. Doctor Who (at least the 2005 series, I've never seen the earlier ones) has always been fairly decent about representing diversity. You'd think that crowd would have left the show a long time ago.

• Brohoof 3

Coming from a person who's been watching Doctor Who since the 1970's... 

They've been hinting at a female Doctor for a *very* long time, since before the modern series. So it's not that big of a deal. I'm more interested in whether she can bring something to the role and whether the directors/producers will *let* her. Peter Capaldi had a lot of promise, but in my opinion he was hobbled by the production team and was only allowed to play his Doctor in fits and starts. So given we're dealing with a lot of new people in the DW production team *as well* as a new primary actor, there's really no way to tell how this is going to go yet.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Fhaolan said:

Peter Capaldi had a lot of promise, but in my opinion he was hobbled by the production team and was only allowed to play his Doctor in fits and starts.

I agree - Crochety Who was my second favorite Doctor {right after Action Who}, but the writing for most of his episodes ranged between "mediocre" and "pretty bad".He paired well with Bill and Nardole too, which is why it's extra shame they were basically the shortest companions in the new Who generation.

But yeah, looking forward to see how the Girl Who pans out.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, it doesn't surprise me, with the way the world is that these days, that the 13th doctor will be a woman. They've hinted at it more than once over the past 12 years since the reboot began. I'm going to love the show regardless of who the doctor is.

I've never really watched Dr. Who, though I'm familiar with certain very basic aspects of the show like what in the hell TARDIS means, who the Doctor is, and why the Doctor is replaced periodically. I'm also suspicious of third wave feminism, political correctness and the social justice craze. But this kind of outrage over the casting of a woman is so annoying.

I remember how a vocal minority of Star Wars fans boycotted The Force Awakens and Rogue One over the new female leads and the casting of John Boyega, a black British actor. Honestly, I don't really care about a character's gender or race if they aren't relevant to the story in question. I don't care about what's only skin-deep. Rather, I care about how well they are written and whether or not the acting is believable. I care about the nitty-gritty bits of a character that really make a difference between whether or not they're fun to watch.

So honestly if I was a fan, I would approach the series in the same way that I always did before.

• Brohoof 3

I came late onto the Doctor Who bandwagon, like back in 2014 where i started watching the modern series that started in 2005. There where always good and bad episodes of this show, kinda like the same as it was with MLP. Still, i enjoy Doctor Who very much.

Now, i have nothing against the next Doctor being a female, it can either be the best or the worst thing for the series. What i fear is, that they will use this Doctor to push their over the top equality agenda down our throats. I have nothing against women (and i won't go into much detail about my political thoughts, because that's not for this thread) but i would have alot of problems when they all go "Look at me, i am a women, i am strong and independent, look at this black male sidekick that is following me." Every 5 minutes.

I will wait and see what happens, instead of just giving up completly like most people seem to do. But the BBC should be careful that their Ratings won't hit rock bottom and that the next season of Doctor Who, won't become as infamous as last years Ghostbusters movie.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
14 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

What i fear is, that they will use this Doctor to push their over the top equality agenda down our throats.

This has little to do with the thread as a whole, but this sentence makes me chuckle.

Back to the thread. I'm not a Doctor Who fan. My interest in the series begins and ends with Peter Capaldi's friendship with Craig Ferguson. But is there really any reason why there can't be a female Doctor? Is there anything the Doctor does that can't be done by a woman? If not, then who cares? If you only like the show because it has a male lead character, then as far as I'm concerned you don't really like the show.

Edited by BlueStreak98
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, BlueStreak98 said:

This has little to do with the thread as a whole, but this sentence makes me chuckle.

What's so funny about someone that speaks his opinion?

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

What's so funny about someone that speaks his opinion?

I feel nothing but benign indifference to the poster. The opinion, however, is humorous.

Edited by BlueStreak98

Just now, BlueStreak98 said:

I'm indifferent to the poster. The opinion is humorous.

You think my opinion is humorous? My opinion is as good as everybody here in this thread, so don't take some sort of moral high ground to look down upon me, just because i said something that dosen't fit your worldview.

(edited)

The David Tennant era brought a romantic interest into The Doctor's life for the first time in the entire series (including the original run from the 1960's) Much as I loved David's Doctor, I thought this a bit misplaced. The Doctor isn't a man or woman per say. The Doctor is a Time Lord. This may sound wrong, please don't take it that way, but rarely does the Doctor respond in what would be a typically male manner. No "Look, the bad guy...Shoot to kill!". There is nothing about the Doctor that couldn't be portrayed by a female actor. I am really looking forward to the new season! I was actually hoping for this since Missy appeared on the scene. I love her delightful "Evil Mary Poppins".

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, BlueStreak98 said:

Back to the thread. I'm not a Doctor Who fan. My interest in the series begins and ends with Peter Capaldi's friendship with Craig Ferguson. But is there really any reason why there can't be a female Doctor? Is there anything the Doctor does that can't be done by a woman? If not, then who cares? If you only like the show because it has a male lead character, then as far as I'm concerned you don't really like the show.

As far I am concerned there really isn't.  Plus given this whole event, I have actually learned that time lords can regenerate as different genders, such as a character called The Corsair who actually did so.  So to me there's nothing saying that there can't be a female doctor in the show.

Also this pretty much sums things up right now.

19983975_1439631962758157_5913044184486309380_o.jpg?oh=747d9867ea7b2644b6d013e24b281660&oe=59C6D8E8

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎16 at 10:53 AM, Fhaolan said:

Coming from a person who's been watching Doctor Who since the 1970's... 

They've been hinting at a female Doctor for a *very* long time, since before the modern series. So it's not that big of a deal. I'm more interested in whether she can bring something to the role and whether the directors/producers will *let* her. Peter Capaldi had a lot of promise, but in my opinion he was hobbled by the production team and was only allowed to play his Doctor in fits and starts. So given we're dealing with a lot of new people in the DW production team *as well* as a new primary actor, there's really no way to tell how this is going to go yet.

Then don't look at the YouTube comments and videos that are against this decision. I looked at them the other night and all I could think of was how pathetic they sounded not to mention bringing in politics into the mix. I also heard Twitter experienced a implosion of sorts when the announcement took place but I don't use it so I'm basing this off of here say and nothing more. Me? I think it's good that they are finally bringing in a woman to play the part of the Doctor, and this isn't the first time a Time Lord regenerated into a female or the other way around. The Master has done it through Missy and there was one Time Lord who had all female incarnations save for one male one. Peter Capaldi was good and I agree that the production team gave him little to work with in addition to Stephen Moffat making some questionable choices here and there.

What I really want them to do is to make the regeneration sequence one that will make sense and explain why the Doctor becomes a Time Lady.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/17/2017 at 5:11 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

What I really want them to do is to make the regeneration sequence one that will make sense and explain why the Doctor becomes a Time Lady.

I see it as there's no explanation other than "Sometimes it happens.". I'm actually hoping for little or no mention. maybe something like

"Female? That's new." Sigh "Still not ginger though."

and then on with the regeneration. Remember, Matt Smith's Doctor briefly thought he was a girl due to his voice and longish hair. It wasn't any big deal for him.

4 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I see it as there's no explanation other than "Sometimes it happens.". I'm actually hoping for little or no mention. maybe something like

"Female? That's new." Sigh "Still not ginger though."

and then on with the regeneration. Remember, Matt Smith's Doctor briefly thought he was a girl due to his voice and longish hair. It wasn't any big deal for him.

I guess I should rephrase myself a little here. What I meant was that I was Capaldi's regeneration to be epic so as to have him go out with a bang and also explain how the regeneration ends up going the way it did. Perhaps the First Doctor plays a part in that or some other force causes it to happen in this way that changes him completely. In any case, this is going to be a very interesting experience in the coming year.

• Brohoof 1