Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Sunbeam and Moondust

ManaMinori

(edited)

while looking through g1 backcard stories, I happened to find two that seem a lot like Celestia and Luna, which I found intriguing. One brings the day while the other brings the night- which seems to predate the "Hearth's warming" tale of g4, actually....Could these two ponies actually be the anscestors of the princesses we know today?

Princess Moondust 

One night, as Princess Moondust admired her glittering medallion, she wished that all of Ponyland could shine like the Princess Ponies jewels. It can shine with your magic, the night wind whispered to her. When Princess Moondust nodded her head, sparkling moondust drifted from the sky, covering trees and grass until all of Ponyland looked as if it was decorated with twinkling jewels. The ponies waltzed in the night, enjoying Princess Moondust's glistening surprise.

Princess Sunbeam

Princess Sunbeam watched the grey clouds gather in the sky. Inside the castle, the ponies sadly put aside their plan to join the Princess Ponies for a tea party in the courtyard. Princess Sunbeam called upon her magic to save the day for her friends. She sent sunbeams from her medallion and pushed the grey clouds beyond the farthest hills, until the sky was bright blue. The ponies cheered at the beautiful day created for them with Princess sunbeam's royal magic.

source: http://www.ponylandtours.com/Library/backcard-year6-page2.html

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Imteresting indeded! I love digging up past gen ponies and comparing them to the current ones, looking for simularities and seeing just how much of an influence they were :D

Though visually the twins' Stardust and Moondusts mane kindaaaa remind me of Celestias mane so they may or may not could've been inspirations ;3

• 4 weeks later...

Ya know I never noticed that, but once I read this I went on my little wiki and checked their cards and they do have a lot of similarities their designs are different, but they pretty much do the same thing so I would not be surprised they did get a lot of inspiration from the older generations when they made gen 4.

• 1 year later...
On 8/30/2017 at 2:42 PM, chaosprincess said:

Ya know I never noticed that, but once I read this I went on my little wiki and checked their cards and they do have a lot of similarities their designs are different, but they pretty much do the same thing so I would not be surprised they did get a lot of inspiration from the older generations when they made gen 4.

might be nice if they were given mention in g4

The backcard stories generally came with each MLP back during G1, until maybe the last couple of years where they had a generic backcard for each set. Moondust and Sunbeam were part of the second set of 6 princess ponies. The ponies in that set are Princess Taffeta, Princess Misty, Princess Dawn, Princess Pristina, Princess Sunbeam and Princess Moondust.

The first set of 6 princess ponies had different names in the USA, example: one of the princess was named Princess Tiffany in the USA, but she was named Princess Pearl overseas.

These were pretty cool ponies when they showed up in stores, the original 6 princess ponies were sold with a Bushwooly friend, overseas they were sold with different color dragons. Plus they had some really neat accessories: magic wand and princess hat. The symbol also was so different from other mlp (sorry, cutie mark) as it was a sort of medallion instead of a screen printed image.

Tiffany was my first in that set back in the day. I remember thinking how beautiful she was as she was a white pegasus with white hair. Which was unusual since no MLP before her ever had that combo of same body and hair color. 

Princess Tiffany Information

On 9/6/2018 at 12:03 PM, KarentheUnicorn said:

The backcard stories generally came with each MLP back during G1, until maybe the last couple of years where they had a generic backcard for each set. Moondust and Sunbeam were part of the second set of 6 princess ponies. The ponies in that set are Princess Taffeta, Princess Misty, Princess Dawn, Princess Pristina, Princess Sunbeam and Princess Moondust.

The first set of 6 princess ponies had different names in the USA, example: one of the princess was named Princess Tiffany in the USA, but she was named Princess Pearl overseas.

These were pretty cool ponies when they showed up in stores, the original 6 princess ponies were sold with a Bushwooly friend, overseas they were sold with different color dragons. Plus they had some really neat accessories: magic wand and princess hat. The symbol also was so different from other mlp (sorry, cutie mark) as it was a sort of medallion instead of a screen printed image.

Tiffany was my first in that set back in the day. I remember thinking how beautiful she was as she was a white pegasus with white hair. Which was unusual since no MLP before her ever had that combo of same body and hair color. 

Princess Tiffany Information

Sold with different colored dragons?! Could that have been why Celestia gave Twilight a dragon signafying she'll be a princess long before she was even sent to Poniville?

12 hours ago, CameoShadowness said:

Sold with different colored dragons?! Could that have been why Celestia gave Twilight a dragon signafying she'll be a princess long before she was even sent to Poniville?

Hum, I don't know. They were not sold inside the USA with dragons and I doubt very many USA kids who were in the ponies in the 80's would have known about it. I had no idea till I got online back in the mid-90's that there were differences in MLP with what was sold inside the USA and outside the USA. So I doubt that Faust who is credited with the story ideas for the Friendship is Magic story line would have known, unless Hasbro happened to throw that idea out to her. However I don't know that USA staff would automatically be aware of such a minor point in the toy collecting that princess ponies from the 80's were named differently and came with different accessories.

No, I think this would purely be the awesomeness of being a MLP 80's toy collector.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2018 at 9:51 AM, KarentheUnicorn said:

Hum, I don't know. They were not sold inside the USA with dragons and I doubt very many USA kids who were in the ponies in the 80's would have known about it. I had no idea till I got online back in the mid-90's that there were differences in MLP with what was sold inside the USA and outside the USA. So I doubt that Faust who is credited with the story ideas for the Friendship is Magic story line would have known, unless Hasbro happened to throw that idea out to her. However I don't know that USA staff would automatically be aware of such a minor point in the toy collecting that princess ponies from the 80's were named differently and came with different accessories.

No, I think this would purely be the awesomeness of being a MLP 80's toy collector.

Minor, yeah but maybe because Spike was in other versions Faust could have brought it up in some form and they threw in that detail not thinking much of it if not at all.