Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation The last Anime you watched?

Carole and Tuesday is finally out of Netflix jail (the first half anyway), and I’m 1/3 of the way through it. I really like it so far. Particularly how different it looks visually from most anime, and how distinctive the girls are from each other.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am so close to giving up on anime in its entirety. 

The latest I just watched was episode 1 of the Netflix exclusive anime Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and it was as cliche as much as anime can cliche. They start this series with one of the main characters jumping around, doing oh so sick backflips and shooting zombies with ease while doing crazy tricks with the gun in the process and this is some goddamn 13 year old girl. So right out of the gate, one of the main characters is Mary Sue as fuck but they think it is just the coolest shit. There's no tension at all when you open the show like that, but for whatever reason, the Japanese absolutely love doing this garbage. Oh, these zombie things brought humanity to the brink of extinction but some teen girl can wipe them out without missing a beat? Wow, way to make your monsters look threatening guys. It is always so forced and cliche that it hurts. The establishment of the plot also seemed like a pathetic rip-off of Attack On Titan, just swap giant humanoids that eat people with regular sized humanoids that eat people. It is made by the same studio, but they should know that lighting doesn't strike in the same place twice when it comes to this stuff. 

On top of that, it goes from supposed high tension (except there wasn't any tension at all because the two main characters are clearly perfect beings) to peaceful to high tension back to peaceful in the span of maybe 10 minutes. Instead of doing something like oh I don't know PACING they instead opt for "awesome" action that does nothing except show of their Mary Sue and Gary Stu characters right out of the gate. 

I am almost convinced that most of the Japanese actually have no clue on how to right a story that isn't immediately filled to the brim with cliches on top of more cliches. It seems good anime is always a diamond in a pile of shit. There are people that watch tons of anime shows, obscure or not. That's fine, but I don't see how people can put up with it after a while. There's suspension of disbelief, but when a show starts with the main character wiping out enemies like they are nothing and flipping a huge gun around like paper while doing so, that shit is nothing more than the writers being extremely masturbatory with their own work.

Can you tell I'm irritated? This kind of thing has been a long time coming from me. These people need to stop making shit like this and actually try proper world building, actual character growth or just anything that makes for a good story. 

23 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

It's an old favorite. Really old. Old-school in fact. One of the first anime I ever watched. I just watched episode one of "Ranma 1/2" I forgot how much I love this show!

Ranma, Urusei Yatsura, and InuYasha are Rumiko Takahashi's holy trifecta.

6 hours ago, Bas said:

Yeah, it was OK watching it in-between, but I felt it got worse if you binge watched it because after like episode 25-30 there is no plot evolving anymore, and it gets even more absurd afterwards. Like Dragonball GT.

Yup, it does tend to get silly. I love it though.

6 hours ago, Bas said:

Never watched Urusei Yatsura.

This is a fun show too, but it has even less of a plot than Ranma!

The opening theme practically is the only plot.

LOL!

I've been re-watching Happy Sugar Life in the background while I work on stuff recently. I'd forgotten how dark it was, but it's still a really good story imo with some character development, a decent plot, and a twist at the end that I didn't expect when I watched it the first time around.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still watching Black Clover considering it’s on ongoing anime. I’m on episode 101. Things are really getting good ~

• Brohoof 1

I've recently started watching RaiXephon, and honestly? I like it. I can see why people compare it to NGE, but to me, this feels like what NGE was trying to accomplish, and succeeding far better at it. Less existential angst, and while it is bleak, it has a sense of hope and feels more like a proper tribute to the super robot genre.

55 minutes ago, Bas said:

Detective Conan/Case Closed ~Episode 270.

Why one is that? Like, how many eps of s4 are released so far, esp. in Eng dub?

Season 4 just started airing today and I think it's doing a simuldub. So, English dub and Japanese dub air at the same time, or something like that.

My BF and I are trying to watch the pilot of Space Dandy (Adult Swim's website is being obnoxious... :dry:). I like the self-awareness this show has about how juvenile it can get, and the execution of its humor. Though at this point the characters seem a little bit one-dimensional at points.

Edited by Spider Demon

22 hours ago, Bas said:

I got no idea how you keep updated with the concrete release day. I mean, really, how do you keep yourself up-to-date that easily?

You can use trakt.tv to track the tv shows you are watching. When new episodes come out, you'll see them on your dashboard.

22 hours ago, Bas said:

I got no idea how you keep updated with the concrete release day. I mean, really, how do you keep yourself up-to-date that easily?

To be honest, I tried to keep reminding myself that Saturday, in particular, would be the day the anime would be back. Some friends in work kept talking about it and we all wondered what would happen. I didn't read the manga, but I kept hearing that the new season for My Hero Academia was going to be awesome.