Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation The last Anime you watched?

Not a series this time but a film.  One of the films I watched for Hallowe'en was Perfect Blue.  I have seen it before, I own the DVD but haven't watched it for many years.  It's always struck me as being a film which is (almost) uniquely Japanese for one particular reason.  In the west, films are largely animated when to make them in live-action would be difficult or prohibitively expensive, or sometimes just to give them addition appeal to children (maybe not be so much the case now, but was more so when Perfect Blue was made).

What makes Perfect Blue 'uniquely Japanese' in this regard is that it is a psychological thriller, one that could easily have been made in live-action but was animated as a creative choice rather than out of necessity, something which is not unusual with Japanese films but much rarer in the west, especially at the turn of the century when this film was made and when anime was still an emerging genre over here.

I won't give anything away, just in case anyone wants to watch it, but it deals with a young woman struggling with a transitional period in her life and trying to maintain her grip on herself as  the line between fantasy and reality blurs and she becomes unable to distinguish whether the things going on around her are real or happening purely within her own mind.

Well worth a watch.

I started watching ID-0. I’m only a couple episodes in and it hasn’t blown my socks off yet, but we’ll see where it goes.

It has nice visuals and the character design seems pretty good. 

Edited by Cistbiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 5:23 PM, Gabe Gooding said:

Hellsing Ultimate. I like strange stuff like that.

That is literally my all-time favorite anime. It never gets old! :D

As for me I recently finished watching The Seven Deadly Sins, it was pretty good though I do hope they continue the series so we're not permanently left on the cliffhanger ending from season four. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I watched "Adachi to Shimamura." New anime yall could watch for free on funimation (with ads). And like overall I didn't like it. Spoiler free quick review of it is: 

A good plot, with the main characters being interesting and fleshed out and nice development for both but one more than the other (especially the latter half being dragged out with one character), but the show suffers from annoying cringy fanservice, pointless scenes, and scenes in general that are too long. Anime could have been much shorter. The show had a few episodes where the writing was more tight and no fanservice and it was great. The narrative gets lost along the way with all the BS. And the ending leaves alot to be desired and a part of it feels unearned. 

Full spoiler review:

Spoiler

I felt that what the anime was trying to convey got lost along the way. Practically every seen with the alien was meaningless (maybe shell be more use in the future but as of now draaaaag), mino and other girl while meant to be a juxtaposition and source of anxiety eventually just transformed into boring scenes with lots of fanservice.

You know honestly this show draaaaaged. I found the show to be faux emotional for the most part. Many scenes definitely could have been shortened for a tighter anime that gives the same vibes (and not just talken bout the fanservice). Every episode did have a point of progression but it's like you had to sit through so much bull just to get to the point. Establishing a scene and setting the emotion obviously is important but anime dragged it out. Ending is very unsatisfactory. Shima's views on the world were established early and later half of the anime has her basically still remaining cold and then at the end of the anime she says Adachi is her cherry blossom and honestly feels like it comes out of nowhere/wasn't earned as the last few episodes was just Adachi struggling. I will say that's where the show shined. Adachi's emotions and revelations but of course still dragged those out as well.

And lastly the fan service practically makes this show unwatchable. If I didn't ask for advice about continuing this anime I def. wouldn't have watched it after episode 1 and the after episode 5. Just constant painful cringing. And what's crazy is that there were 2 episodes in particular that had like no fanservice and they were incredible. Episode 2 and another but idr. Episode 2 has Adachi's dream/fantasy where she fantasizes herself being almost nude with Shima and on the surface it might look like fanservice but it is purposeful and doesn't cross a line. There are other seens like that are really good but others that cross the line and it's disturbing. 

One scene in particular when Shima tells Adachi over the phone that it's good knowing that someone cares about her and then Adachi starts crying, made me cry! Like this story has good stuff in it but just gets lost along the way because alot of nothing happens. I

heard that the novel is better in every aspect but like also it's long af and still being released so yea. Maybe season 2 will decide to ease things up.

Side note: "WE GET IT! ADACHI IS LIKE A PUPPY! MOVE ON!"

Edited by Miss

• 2 weeks later...

The promise neverland. It’s good so far and it kinda give me AOT vibe. But kinda slow.

Just saw this anime My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!

Non-spoilers review: I really loved it! Very emotionally invigorating and hilarious anime. The characters are well developed and has a very intricate story telling pattern. The premise is an interesting one that one would not expect to be filled with the emotional feelings it fills you with but damn does the writing get you. Very light hearted anime with deep dives into intricate story telling, background, character development, etc. The main character is pretty dense and the ending begs for more due to the ignorance of the main character, but she is still amazing and there will be a season 2 so yea. 

SPOILER REVIEW and OTHER THOUGHTS:

Spoiler

I REALLY LOVED IT! First of all queer af. I love how the story progresses. I immediately hooked in on episode 1. 

(Based on an ongoing novel series so no spoilers)

Every character (besides one) is fully developed well and meaningfully and it's amazing! Many surreal scenes in show that just stimulate the senses so much. 

There are a few weird things in the show: Keith (the stepbrother) likes the main character and yea that's a no no. Whether or not Sophia likes the main character is also a bit in question as she seems to want to get her brother with her and it's frustrating how that plays out. Most of the problems I have with this show come with the fact that it's just season 1. Leaves alot of things unfulfilled and of course that is to be expected. 

From a narrative perspective it would have made most sense for Catarina to get romantically involved with Maria and that would have been a great ending. However, due to the relationship between the past life of Sophia and Catarina's past life that made me end up wanting for them to get romantically involved and maybe confirm romantic feelings for each other in that past life and that would have been a powerful story in of itself. This sort of "I loved you in my last life and never got to tell you, but now I meet you again in this new life and I love you!" Like wow, such an amazing story. Making me teary eyed just thinking about it. Speaking of, I cried so many times in this anime. So yea that is personally the ending I would've loved to see the most. 

However, this anime ends with the "friendship ending." So the arch ending could be summed up in a few ways but basically "the main character survives and loves her new life and the people in it; therefore, chooses to stay in it." Which I think also leads to another powerful story being lost: her going back to her old life and become romantically involved with her best friend. 

The ending leaves many things unanswered: what happens to all the side characters? what about their feelings? So yea the biggest gripe is things are left unanswered. Idk if this anime/story (it is novel series is bold/progressive enough to go with a poly bisexual/pansexual romance story, but if that's what it goes for in the end then yes that would be the best thing ever! A friendship ending would sort of lose impact in this romantic setting, which is a big gripe with the ending as to how DENSE the main character is. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that lgbt romance is basically unseen, generally speaking, in japanese culture, there main character being so DENSE wouldn't have any merit. And that is my BIGGEST GRIPE with the show. Obviously, the show needs the main character to not understand a lesbian romance in order for this show to work even though the other women characters are sooooo OBVIOUSLY LESBIAN. Like alot of people call the main character dense, it's more so that in some way she is homophobic in the sense that she doesn't find relationships between same sexes/genders to be valid because that's just the culture in japan.  

Others gripes I have with the show are the villain in the end, who is the secret romance route, who I find to be so uninteresting because he just comes out of nowhere, and throughout the show they do show him but he just comes up in the background and it's like "who is this guy! why do they keep showing him!" and in fact his revenge is also very questionable like I guess he just hates nobles that much? Like, ugh. Just really weak development. 

Actually BIG EDIT AND DISCLAIMER .the main character actually doesn't know that any of the characters like her romantically so maybe that changes things but like if the guys said the things the girls said that'd change some stuff. But there's also a bunch of other stuff. I'm at odds with that "take" now XD

Actually ANOTHER EDIT AND DISCLAIMER TO THE DISCLAIMER the main character always asks "is there a boy you like" and when the characters obviously say that they like her/like women the main character is just confused. So yea

anyway.....LOVE THE ANIME! 

Highly recommend! 

Edited by Miss

Completed WataMote yesterday and it was awesome! I expected a comedy with a bit of drama about a social anxious high school girl, but shit was too real. This show is the most accurate representation of a shy person I've ever seen, in most situations the girl behaved and thought just like I would (but not so exaggerated). Too bad season 2 was cancelled, I like her story but not much of a manga reader

Edited by Vefka

The last one was Paranoia Agent. It was only 13 episodes long but damn what a ride those episodes were. It surprised me at every turn and it did an amazing job at deeply exploring the concept of repressed fear. It also has a great opening that is so simple, yet so eerie. Would recommend it, though it definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Beasttars was the one I watched before that. Really wish I could buy it on the Microsoft store because I really enjoyed the first season. Watched it all in one go. The animation is awesome and the premise itself is very fascinating. Very much looking forward to the second season which makes me so damn happy that I finally have another show to look forward to now that AoT is ending.

Kimi Ni Todoke - Very fluffy anime but I loved it! So many scenes made my cry! Particularly with in season 1 in the first half. While the second half didn't make me cry as much there was some very beautiful scenes. Sawako is a character that love very much! Just her development and view on things had me crying cuz she's so genuine. While I love it, I did find that the comedy in the show was a nuisance. While very funny half the time (in fact, I found myself laughing harder than I have in most amines at some of the jokes) the other half ruined alot of scenes that could have been emotionally compelling or just dragged out episodes. But yea a show that I really want to rewatch but the low points in the show that one would have to sit through are daunting. The ending was also kind of anticlimactic. Episode 10 of season 2 is really where it should have ended as the last two episodes, for the most part, felt like filler. Of course, the manga is significantly longer than where the anime left off. 

Aoi Hana (Sweet Blue Flowers) - This anime was interesting. Lots of moments where you just get lost in the beauty of scenes and a very lgbt anime where the characters showcase the sort of plight one might go through as a queer person. I will say that overall I found it disappointing and I'm going to check out the manga for a couple reasons (have a few others book to read first so gonna be a while before I get there). The main reason being that the anime doesn't cover the entire anime. The anime I feel ends very abruptly without a real sort of final takeaway. There were strange plot points in there but other than those I found it to be rather invigorating. 

21 hours ago, Sonic Shimmer said:

It was an anime movie called Okko's Inn. I recommend it if you like Studio Ghibli, it's not one of theirs but the style is definitely reminiscent of them.

Yes that's a great film! Saw it back in 2019. Really liked it

• Brohoof 1

Just attempted to watch this anime - Izetta: The Last Witch

It seems to be loosely based on World War II. Has this great historical background, great interesting characters, intense battles and action, and.........AND.....................AND!!!!!!

ANNOYING CRINGE FANSERVICE.

Could not watch. Stopped during episode 4 when it just went down, deep down in that fanservice hole. 

Spoiler

Seriously, this anime had such a serious plot and there's a few moments throughout the show where Izetta is fighting the germanium forces and they have some shots of her butt and boobs. And it's like those are weird angles to go in that is completely changing the tone of the show, but I can look past it. There's one shower scene that showed a little bit too much, but you know it was quick so whatever. 

And then episode 4. Military girl wearing this weird breast strap thing that i've never seen on any real life military uniforms but she was already in the show before that so whatever. Just saying what got me thinking. A scene comes up and maid takes off Izetta clothes and there's some jiggling, then they're in the bath tub and again some breasts shots then some butt shots, etc. 

Kept watching it cuz I was like "ok that's bad and it's taking away from this very serious plot, but again not the worst thing" and then this women shows up and starts groping Izetta and feeling her up, sexually assaulting her and it's supposed to be played for laughs I assume, but yea really gross. Closed that window down. Moving on. 

Edited by Miss

Just watched Devil May Cry anime. Really average series especially for non-fans, fights are weak and art style didn't age well. But at least Dante is Dante here, they portrayed his character pretty accurate and even hired his voice actor for english voice which is great