Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you say that people deal too often in absolutes?

Mesme Rize

Nothing much to add to it. Like, do people too often watch at something as undisputedly good or undisputedly bad, instead of checking inside the grey area and taking time to check the pros and cons of it?

It can happen with any sort of subject, from movies, to cooking, to politics.

What is your take on it?

• Brohoof 3

Even this question has a grey area, since it depends on what you're referring to. Some things are more simple than others.

Often I follow the proverb: "A door is either open or closed."

11 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Making a certain Star Wars reference would be too easy.

"You will try!"

• Brohoof 1

yes absolutely but if you want to see things for what they are then simply take no sides and imagine what would happen if everyone did the same, will it still have a place?, will it still be beneficial or would it be morally questionable?, if you watched a film without thinking it was neither good nor bad could you at least say that the time you put into it was worth the effort? 

for instance red is a good color, red is a warm and positive color that stands for passion and drive....or is it? red also stands for violence and blood, it stands for anger and vengeance but once again does it? they are all things stated as an absolute but in the end all it is is a color, no more and no less and yet that is one of the most simplistic things we can conceive,everything can be seen as an absolute but nothing is immune to questioning ¦)

• Brohoof 3

Perhaps. It is said that as people grow older, they grow more rigid in their mindsets, and from what I've seen, this is often true.

It could be that its more comfortable to have an opinion/stance and not to bother budging on it. For hardcorists of anything (totally just made that word up, lol) considering that the other side may have some validity means that they might be *gasp* wrong! I suppose it can be easier to hang with people who think alike, than to constantly change and wonder where you should stand. Strange that typing this up made me think of the statement, "ignorance is bliss."

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Humans (in general) like order; we like to file people and ideas away in little folders.

Are you a conservative? You belong in this folder. Liberal? You belong that folder. Claim not to have the traits that I ascribe to you based on the folder that I have filed you in? Liar!

So, yes--I definitely believe that people too often think in terms of black and white. It's easier that way, unfortunately. 

Edited by Kings&Hooves14

Biased subjectivity tends to be the underlying definition of "good" and "bad" However, there are people willing to know reality, by means of sole observation.

Intake of data, without compartmentalizing, often defies the mind itself, and is one the biggest challenges I'm faced with. For such fragmentation is a mean to destroy the cohesive integrity of that known as truth, the entirety of reality.

Yet to witness it without first developing one's consciousness, can be as harmful as partiality, ignorance. Maturing both emotionally and mentally. Otherwise is too much information for the human mind.

Still remember crashing against the walls of my narrow mindset, when presented with polarizing information during my childhood. Being tested over and over again, with impulses that would turn a normal mind inside out. They said my nervous system couldn't bear it. But I had to see, I had to know.

As it was expected, my answer to such human quandaries was the silence of internalization. A tempered mind. I was ready to jump at five years old.

To think I considered overwhelming the amount of information handled by third dimension. Our cyclical perception doesn't understand the illusive conception of time.

The universe is faster, too fast for humankind to even perceive. Shapes exchanging at light speed. Self-realized expressions of our multiverse. Designers thereof.

So I come back to our reality, hard genetic storage, and it feels so slow. I need to sleep, to dream, to go faster again. Otherwise the light goes out, and I die.

One way or the other. It doesn't matter what I say, or what it is, or not. Which means my mind has no real voice. Because it isn't real to being with.

Well, the closest answer to that question about "real" and to any other. Is silence. Isn't that absolute, or perhaps the whole opposite?

You see, it doesn't "matter"

I think it's more or less of a human reflex. Something's good, something's bad. They look at something with their own standards and mark that something with a good or bad sign. It's up to them to go deeper in finding more about it, etc.

(edited)

Absolutes are a pretty narrow way to classify anything. No matter what your take is on anything, there are always grey areas. When people take the time and interest to know what those grey areas are and why, they'll start to understand more clearly what each side of any given subject is saying. All the real information is in the 'why' of it and the subtleties applying thereto. People would realize they have a lot more common ground when they look at things with a more open mind than just declaring everything black and white and butting heads over it all the time. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, too many people view things from only one side:

Too many right wingers think that all left wingers are "SJW Communist Hippie Scum", and too many left wingers see right wingers as "Racist Neo-Nazi Fascist Pigs".

People lock horns over the silliest of things. 

Well the only Absolute I care about is Truth. I really can't grasp this line of reasoning where people believe the relativity of Truth. So I do my best to live to pursue the absoluteness of Truth.

Nothing in this world is free. Everything we do, think, say, hear, touch, and feel has limitations. Even our own tongue will be embedded with unforgiving consequences if Absolute Freedom to indiscriminately use it is given.

Freedom is Relative while Truth is Absolute IMO.

Edited by ZethaPonderer