Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Hotdogs be considered a sandwich?

Vulcan

Are Hot Dogs sandwiches?   

42 users have voted

1. 1. Are Hot Dogs sandwiches?

• What?! Of Course it is!
    • No .-.
    • Trick Question! It is an instrument.

Hot Dogs are not considered sandwiches by the US government.

but they are considered sandwiches by the Webster Dictionary. 

What do you think they should be? 

• Brohoof 6

Asking the realest, most important, worldwide questions here. 

I don't have a clue myself, though.

Not sure why you would trust the US Government's opinion on stuff :D

Hot dogs as usually presented/served, that is, in a bun, are clearly sandwiches. Hot Dogs themselves of course aren't, unless you put them in a bun :D

• Brohoof 4

Just now, Tilgoreth said:

They are sandwiches. It is a piece of meat between two slices of bread. A sandwiche. It doesn't matter if its sloghtly in a differnt shape.

Its not two slices of bread though as as a Hotdog bun is just one loaf slightly cut open but not all the way.  

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Vulcan said:

Its not two slices of bread though as as a Hotdog bun is just one loaf slightly cut open but not all the way.  

What about hoagie's then? They aren't cut all the wayy through but there still sanwiches.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Seriously? Of all the debates we could have e.g. Politics, race, religion, bigotry, sexism etc. THIS is the best you could come up with?

IT'S BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

My vote is no cause if you call it a Hot Hoagie or a Hot Sandwich you're shoving down your sexist and chauvinistic ideals on the terminology of sandwich that has been proven through time where woman must know their places (and hermaphrodites too). In the Kitchen. The HORROR!!!!

Also, calling it a Hot Dog sounds cooler (and debatable if it's even more sexist than the former titles) cause it might be possible its made from actual Dogs.

Plus, it just has a good ring to it though Hot Hoagies come really close.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
Fixed a glaring grammatical oversight. I originally wrote "doesn't have", but changed to what you see being bolded and underlined.
  • Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

What about hoagie's then? They aren't cut all the wayy through but there still sanwiches.

That's an interesting point... 

I guess that means either

Hoagie's aren't technically sandwiches by definition 

The definition of Sandwich is wrong... 

Or a loaf of bread only cut a portion of the way through is considered two separate slices of bread. 

To be honest ... Either of the three sound strange...

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Vulcan said:

That's an interesting point... 

I guess that means either

Hoagie's aren't technically sandwiches by definition 

The definition of Sandwich is wrong... 

Or a loaf of bread only cut a portion of the way through is considered two separate slices of bread. 

To be honest ... Either of the three sound strange...

lol it should just be anything between two slices of bread, even if it isn't cut all the way through.

• Brohoof 2

www.dictionary.com 

two or more slices of bread or the like with a layer of meat, fish, cheese, etc., between each pair.

Clearly a hot dog is a sandwich. To the point that the bun is 1 piece: what if the bun tears to 2 pieces?

But by this definition, is a roll with butter inside also then a sandwich? I move that condiments do not count as a filler. Further, butter is a condiment.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

lol it should just be anything between two slices of bread, even if it isn't cut all the way through.

So... If I made a half inch deep cut into a regular loaf of bread.... And filled that small gap with meat.... Would that technically be a sandwhich? 

Would Icecream sandwhiches be sandwiches? 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, BronyNumber42 said:

www.dictionary.com 

two or more slices of bread or the like with a layer of meat, fish, cheese, etc., between each pair.

Clearly a hot dog is a sandwich. To the point that the bun is 1 piece: what if the bun tears to 2 pieces?

But by this definition, is a roll with butter inside also then a sandwich? I move that condiments do not count as a filler. Further, butter is a condiment.

Half a bun with filler on the cut side is considered an "open sandwich" - just to confuse the issue further.

And I had a club sandwich today which was made with THREE pieces of bread... yeah, confuses me too that one.

• Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Tilgoreth said:

My esteemed colleague is correct. I'd like to attatch a rider amendment to decree that only leaven bread is permissible in the creation of a sandwich.

*gasp* *rabble rabble*

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Vulcan said:

So... If I made a half inch deep cut into a regular loaf of bread.... And filled that small gap with meat.... Would that technically be a sandwhich? 

Would Icecream sandwhiches be sandwiches? 

lol this is getting stupid. But yes by definition they would be.

• Brohoof 1

The Earl of Sandwich never envisioned today's modern assault sandwiches. Peanut butter, banana, and bacon? Triple cheese burgers with fries ON the sandwich? Foot longs, 18", 6 feet longs! This madness must stop. Children can purchase sandwiches on street corners. I've heard cases of people modifying their sandwiches. We need sandwich control now!

• Brohoof 7

10 hours ago, Sir Floof said:

A sandwich is made of bread, meat, and optional condiments.

A hot dog has bread, meat, and optional condiments.

Hot dogs are sandwiches.

I'm not sure about that definition,

Burritos also have bread meat and optional condiments,

So do Shwarmas!

Also Veggie Sandwiches don't have meat

and Ice cream sandwiches don't have any of those

• Brohoof 1

Depends on the definition of being sandwiched. So no it shouldn't count technically, but people are gonna do what they want. Besides, its a dictionary, its not like they are the official social grammar keepers of the English language or anything, they can make mistakes just like Wikipedia, or be politically motivated like Wikipedia individual articles can be.

22 hours ago, Vulcan said:

I'm not sure about that definition,

Burritos also have bread meat and optional condiments,

So do Shwarmas!

Also Veggie Sandwiches don't have meat

and Ice cream sandwiches don't have any of those

If burritos and shwarmas have bread, meat, and optional condiments, then burritos and shwarmas are sandwiches.

...Do you see what I'm getting at here? Whether something is a sandwich or not is almost completely arbitrary and doesn't really matter.

• Brohoof 1

I have arrived to muddy the sandwich waters still more!

Toast Sandwich

I just, rather timely, watched "Shadow of the Thin Man" about ah hour ago on PBS. I love the hot dog guy at the wrestling match Nick took Nora to. He was shouting "A pound of meat and a loaf of bread for a dime!" as he sold his wares. Of course, he knew Nick and gave Nora a free hot dog!

In summery...Yes, a hot dog is a sandwich!