Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Hotdogs be considered a sandwich?

Vulcan

Are Hot Dogs sandwiches?   

42 users have voted

1. 1. Are Hot Dogs sandwiches?

• What?! Of Course it is!
    • No .-.
    • Trick Question! It is an instrument.

How does a topic like this get tossed into the depths of the Debate Pit? It's just a question about HOT DOGS.

By the way, no they aren't sandwiches by definition, because they're not comprised of two SEPERATE pieces of bread.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

A sandwich has two pieces of bread. Not one, but two. How many pieces of bread make up a bun? One piece. Thus, a hot dog cannot be considered a sandwich. :P

Spoiler

Though I suppose you could break the bun in two. :ooh:

On 7/20/2017 at 7:38 AM, SugarCoatxMarblePie said:

Depends on the definition of being sandwiched. So no it shouldn't count technically, but people are gonna do what they want. Besides, its a dictionary, its not like they are the official social grammar keepers of the English language or anything, they can make mistakes just like Wikipedia, or be politically motivated like Wikipedia individual articles can be.

God damn conservatives, calling hot dogs sandwiches. What's wrong with them? 

Where's this sudden rule that sandwiches need 2 slices of bread coming from? Last I checked, several types of traditional sandwiches like subs and gyros aren't made with 2 slices of bread yet are still considered sandwiches. Hot dogs ARE sandwiches because they're meat and toppings sandwiched between bread. By extension, I consider tacos to be sandwiches as well.

• Brohoof 1

On 2017/07/20 at 1:22 AM, Vulcan said:

What do you think they should be? 

Eaten as often as possible. :P

I think you can classify them as sandwiches if you want. I probably wouldn't, though. A sandwich is a filling between 2 slices of bread. But I wouldn't fight a war of semantics over it.

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Where's this sudden rule that sandwiches need 2 slices of bread coming from? Last I checked, several types of traditional sandwiches like subs and gyros aren't made with 2 slices of bread yet are still considered sandwiches. Hot dogs ARE sandwiches because they're meat and toppings sandwiched between bread. By extension, I consider tacos to be sandwiches as well.

Well, I stand corrected, then. :wacko: You can indeed consider a hot dog to be part of the sandwich family.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

If failing to cut the bread all the way through is what stops it from being a sandwich I say that the definition of the word is wrong. A hoagie or grinder is a sandwich and thus so is a hotdog. 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:02 PM, Jedishy said:

If failing to cut the bread all the way through is what stops it from being a sandwich I say that the definition of the word is wrong. A hoagie or grinder is a sandwich and thus so is a hotdog. 

But such sandwiches are generally constructed such that the slice is parallel to the ground and none of the contents are falling out.  With a hot dog, this usually isn't the case.  That influences how they are held, what toppings are applied and how, and how they are eaten, which differs significantly from other sandwiches.  They are closer to tacos in that regard. ;)

• Brohoof 1

On 9/1/2017 at 1:27 PM, Adderbane said:

But such sandwiches are generally constructed such that the slice is parallel to the ground and none of the contents are falling out.  With a hot dog, this usually isn't the case.  That influences how they are held, what toppings are applied and how, and how they are eaten, which differs significantly from other sandwiches.  They are closer to tacos in that regard. ;)

While we're at it, let's discuss whether or not a hot dog can also be considered a taco, and by extension, can a taco be considered a hot dog. If you move the fillings of a taco into a hot dog bun and put a hot dog into a taco shell, are they to be referred to by one name or the other, or simply a "taco dog."

OT: I'd say it could be a sandwich, but it could also reside in its own category entirely, like the overlapping circles of a Venn diagram. It has the characteristics of a sandwich, but not entirely.

Edited by TigerGeekGuy

Yeah, it's meat between bread. As explained above, there are other similarly shaped sandwiches, with the bread not being two separate slices.

^ I typed that a while back but never posted it. It isn't true. A sandwich requires two different pieces of bread.

11 hours ago, meme said:

Yeah, it's meat between bread. As explained above, there are other similarly shaped sandwiches, with the bread not being two separate slices.

^ I typed that a while back but never posted it. It isn't true. A sandwich requires two different pieces of bread.

On 8/17/2017 at 11:19 PM, Annie said:

sand·wich
/ˈsanˌ(d)wiCH/
noun

1. 1.
    an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them, eaten as a light meal.
    "a ham sandwich"

I can see by several points made here that anything sandwiched between two slices of bread (and plenty of things that aren't) are considered sandwiches. There may be a technical definition at work here, but I'm not a very technical kind of girl, so I'm going to continue to consider a hot dog to be its own category and unique to itself. I just go with the flow, and the flow is telling me it's a dog, which may be a category with nothing else in it, but that's where I'm going to file it in my own mental litter basket. :proud: