Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Hotdogs be considered a sandwich?

Vulcan

Are Hot Dogs sandwiches?   

42 users have voted

1. 1. Are Hot Dogs sandwiches?

• What?! Of Course it is!
    • No .-.
    • Trick Question! It is an instrument.

There's a random encounter in Fallout 4 where two guys are taking about this very subject.

Anyway, some definitions I've found (that have probably been used already, I didn't bother to read through every single post) for sandwich include:

• two or more slices of bread or the like with a layer of meat, fish, cheese, etc., between each pair. (dictionary.com)
  • food typically consisting of vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for another food type (wikipedia)
  • two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between (merriam-webster.com/dictionary)

These are just a few of course, but according to these it's either meat, cheese, veggies, etc. between two slices of bread, or a split roll. Therefore, with this evidence in hand (or hoof, whatever your preference) a hot dog in a split bun is therefore in actuality a sandwich.

I'd say yes they're sandwiches- I mean, think of it this way

if you made a small meatball sandwich using a hotdog bun, would it still not be a meatball sandwich? so just switch the meat and you've got a hotdog :3 

although I like the idea of hotdogs having their own names- I'm never gonna be on the "hey, can I get one of those hotdog sandwiches please" side of things x3 :sunbutt:

The solution is simple.

Sandwiches, by definition, involve two pieces of bread.

Hotdogs are not sandwiches because they do not have two separate pieces of bread.

They have a single bun, split open but with the two halves still connected.

That is the most logical argument as to whether or not they're sandwiches.

Anything other than that resorts to arbitrary criteria or official rulings.

15 hours ago, Hachiroku said:

nah fam, hot dogs are hot dogs. it's like asking if a piano is a stringed intrument

i realize this is probably a joke but i have no clue how many people here actually believe pianos aren't stringed instruments

11 hours ago, Duality said:

The solution is simple.

Sandwiches, by definition, involve two pieces of bread.

Hotdogs are not sandwiches because they do not have two separate pieces of bread.

They have a single bun, split open but with the two halves still connected.

That is the most logical argument as to whether or not they're sandwiches.

Anything other than that resorts to arbitrary criteria or official rulings.

except this argument has already been beaten to death by now, it's already been explained several times that sandwiches don't need 2 separate slices of bread
gyros, hoagies, subs, and kebabs all count as sandwiches but they don't have 2 seperate slices

• Brohoof 1

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:00 AM, Annie said:

except this argument has already been beaten to death by now, it's already been explained several times that sandwiches don't need 2 separate slices of bread

gyros, hoagies, subs, and kebabs all count as sandwiches but they don't have 2 seperate slices

Hoagies are just a regional variant on subs and kebabs only count as sandwiches when in gyro form, so the only distinctive foodstuffs really under debate here are subs and gyros.

Now, the definition of sandwich is 'two or more pieces of bread with filling between them'. This is, as far as I have found, a universal definition among literally all literary sources I have consulted on the matter (suffice to say, I have a lot of dictionaries).

Subs are intended to - and more often than not, actually do - have two separate pieces of bread, as they are, indubitably, a sandwich; to get a sub sandwich without a fully split bun is indicative of a slap-dash job, a weird gourmet version, or just a chef who doesn't know what the definition of sandwich is how dare they the monsters someone strip them of their licence to serve meals abominations against all of sandwich-kind already. In short, it's just a blurred culinary line, not an actual exception to the general definition of 'sandwich'.

Gyros definitely don't have more than one piece of bread, but are sandwiches, according to Wikipedia, so I don't know what's going on there. They do originate from the deep Mediterranean, though, so it may be that there was just some cultural confusion over the matter way back when they were first introduced into Western culture. It seems most likely that gyros are indeed a direct exception to the general definition of 'sandwich', but rather of a singular one, given that burritos are very much not-a-sandwich despite sharing many of the same characteristics as gyros.

Summary: subs are supposed to be sandwiches, gyros are weird, and sandwiches still consist of two or more pieces of bread. That definition remains the most simple argument for whether or not hotdogs are sandwiches, apparently even in the face of fatal blunt force trauma.

Or, if one still has objections against resorting to such first-principle lines of logic, it could be pointed out that the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council also say that hotdogs aren't sandwiches, which fits my stance on the matter just dandy.

Edited by Duality
the hotdogs made me do it
  • Brohoof 2

Are we all forgetting that the hot dog is just the sausage? So no, a hot dog is not a sandwich, as a hot dog itself does not involve anything other than the sausage. It is just traditionally served in a partially sliced bun. But still, that partially sliced bun does not make it, as a whole, a sandwich.

I already gave Google's definition of a sandwich, so now here's Wikipedia's.

"A sandwich is a food typically consisting of vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for another food type."

Now, you might be thinking "Well what about submarine sandwiches???"

My guess is that they originally were made of two long pieces of bread, but it's now commonly made with a split roll instead to make it easier to eat. However I would say this means it is no longer a sandwich, or that submarine sandwiches should drop the "sandwich" part of their name. But the history of these things isn't truly known to anyone as multiple sources give conflicting answers.

But there are many things that are commonly considered sandwiches while not meeting the "two pieces of bread" definition. So really, it's left to the evolution of our language to decide. At the moment, hot dogs on partially sliced buns are generally not considered sandwiches, but just simply called "hot dogs," as if they're their own separate thing.

edit: accidentally said "not" twice somewhere

Edited by meme
  • Brohoof 1

I'd like to add this little Wikipedia article to this topic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_sandwich

Sausage sandwiches. What would a hot dog be? A sausage sandwich, right?

But again, these things go against the definition of a sandwich.

So, the only solution is to give one solid definition of sandwich. Anything that does not fit that definition will lose the "sandwich" in its name and will not be considered one.

We either change it to include things contained in a split piece of bread or stop calling them sandwiches.

They are sandwiches in the broadest since, in that they are meat surrounded by bread, they're just called hotdogs. Hotdogs are sandwiches, they're just called hotdogs.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Nsxile said:

Hmm... No... As the bread is only sliced open and not fully separated into to two.

So, a burger also isn't a sandwich if they don't slice the bun all the way across?

For that matter - is a pizza a toasted cheese-and-tomato sandwich? :)

Just now, CypherHoof said:

So, a burger also isn't a sandwich if they don't slice the bun all the way across?

I've never considered a burger a sandwich tbh... I considered it a burger :P 

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...