Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Ponyfinder: Age of Adventure (Open, Planning)

GreyScholar

(edited)

Ponyfinder - Age of Adventure

img-2058168-1-img-2058168-1-2rwus7k.jpg

Equestria is a land of magic, joined by the allied Crystal Empire in more recent history, a nation built upon the principles of Harmony, Unity, and Friendship. Where ponies and other races may join together for a common cause, bringing about grand cities and close-knit towns. Where ponies may discover their destiny and pursue their dreams, show by a cutiemark that guides their lives. Following the three Divine Lights that are the holy sisters Celestia and Luna, joined by the crystal princess Cadance who are the avatars of their goddesses.

Yet this land is also a place of danger and uncertainty, with a long past where legends and folklore can prove true with the appearance of many threats long forgotten. Also, not all believe in the ideals taught by the Divine Lights, that of Harmony and Friendship, selfishly following their own path without concern for others. With power to be gained and ancient secrets discovered not all is as it seems. Princess Celestia's sacred light hiding many things over the millennium she ruled alone as well as time before with her beloved sister. The Times of Discord, that of Eternal Night’s Fall, the Tyranny of the Shadow King, this and more that have revealed themselves to but a few.

Now, with such examples as the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony and heroes older still record in lore, adventurers and others have come forth in to find adventure and fortune. To gain fame or infamy, uncover knowledge and lost artifacts of the past, to fight monsters and villains that others would tremble in fear at.

Will you follow the call? That of adventure in an age where friendship is taught yet darkness and regrets can be found, of dangers and monsters, secrets and mysteries. So much can be found for the curious and strong of heart, the timid and the brash, the elegant and the hardworking.

Character List

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be adding rules and information on the roleplay as time goes on.

Playable Races: Earthbound (Earth Ponies), Unicorns, Pegasus, Gem Ponies (Crystal Ponies), Zebras, Drakehooves (Dragon Ponies, Eastern, Kirin), Leather Wings (Bat Ponies)*, Sun Ponies (Desert Ponies, Saddle Arabians), Short Legs (Think Flufflepuff, particularly with certain feats, or other shorter legged/smaller ponies), Hippogriffs, Doopleganger (Changelings), Flutterponies*, Sea Horses (Sea Ponies)*, Ghost Ponies*, Chaos Hunters*, Griffons (Only the Predator, Cheetah, Prey, Scavenger, Sea, and Snow aspects), Coven (Goats), The Impure (Donkeys), Purrsians*, Ruminants (Deer)*, and Big Mao (Pandas)*, Luminous Dragons (Dragons like Spike), Gem Gnoll (Diamond Dogs).

*Limited, PM me if you want to play this race.

RULES:
1. Only the races provided by the Ponyfinder resources I profile in the link are allowed.
2. Only the rules/information given in the following links, taken from the Ponyfinder Campaign Setting: Dawn of the Fifth Age, D&D 5e, Unearthed Arcana, and some 3rd Party with permission. Main resources can all found here. though Unearthed Arcana and other 3rd Party can be looked for.
3. Alignment will be handled as shown here.
5. We will be using the Focus and Foible system to generate ability scores. First, choose a Focus, an ability score at which you excel. You receive an 18 in that score. Next, choose a Foible, an ability score that is your weakness. You receive an 8 in that score. The other four, roll 1d10+7 four times. There are no rerolls, but you can decide where each of these other four scores go.
6. Standard equipment and gold for 1st level characters.
8. You can buy no item for more then half your starting gold, and are advised that you balance purchases between weapons, armour, and other items based on class. You can pick one common magic item, if it can be afforded.
9. Players will need to use an Editable Pathfinder Character Sheet, as provided here.
10. Characters of evil alignment will not be allowed, also certain classes may well have negative stigmatism attached to them such as necromancers or clerics of the death domain.
11. The use of dark magic is strictly forbidden by Equestrian law, with few being allowed to even study it. Dark magic counts all magic with the evil descriptor as well as potentially other spells, so if you're uncertain please ask. Use of dark magic will slowly corrupt and turn evil a character, no matter how good one's intentions were.
12. These rules may be added to at anytime but before the beginning of a session.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

I am definitely interested, and will be joining. I will edit this with my character sheet once I've created my character. A question before I do so: are there any others joining in that we wouldn't see post on this post? I don't want to duplicate any classes anyone else is playing.

1 minute ago, EquestrianScholar said:

@Queen Cassie

Very nice, happy to hear! I look forward to seeing your character soon.

How much experience do you have with D&D 5e, and in TTRPGs in general?

I have none with D&D 5e, but I did play some tabletop back in the day, many years ago. It was all 3.5e and Pathfinder. I haven't had more experience mostly due to an inability to find a group. But--because I've been reading David Silver's Ponyfinder stories off of FIMFic, coincidentally enough--I've been reading up on 5e rules and am a pretty quick study in general. So I'll still be fairly newbieish, but I'll be learning quickly as we go along.

@Queen Cassie

Well that is appreciated, glad to know that you are taking such an initiative despite being new to the system. Sadly while I have been a part of two of David's kickstarters for Ponyfinder and have played a few games of D&D 5e, the Star Pony tier getting my characters on the covers, I have yet to read his stories of FiMFic. I am more familiar with Pathfinder, D&D 3.5, and AD&D 2e though, so we seem to relate in that.

@EquestrianScholar

His stories are pretty decent. Also, a query: I'm guessing from the campaign blurb you posted we're setting this in Equestria, not Everglow? So we should change our god we choose to worship to be the Equestrian equivalent, ie Luminace is Twilight, Sun Queen is Celestia, etc etc?

(edited)

@Queen Cassie

Actually, a player of mine provided an idea as a solution for this:

* Princess Celestia as the avatar of the Sun Queen.

*Princess Luna as the avatar of the Moon Princess, and at one point stolen by Night Mare to become her avatar.

*Twilight Sparkle, on ascending and becoming as princess, is chosen as the avatar of Luminance.

*Princess Cadance as the avatar of Lashtada, in much the same way when she ascended.

*Queen Chrysalis as the avatar of Kara.

*Discord.as the avatar of the Unspoken.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This way we can keep deities as they are but also allow the above to be more power players.

• Brohoof 1

@EquestrianScholar
Okay, so I've made my character sheet. She's a pegasus cleric of Luminace named Falling Rain. Having not done a 5e character sheet before I dunno if I did anything wrong or missed anything, and would be most appreciative of any critiques or comments, especially re character background and backstory as I lack sufficient knowledge of the exact setting to be able to be more specific re certain things like temples or whatever. Also I had no ideas what languages to pick because I dunno, since this is set in Equestria, if there's specific Equestria-based languages we could pick from or not hence why those are not picked yet.

EDIT: I've replaced the original GeneralZoi pony creator image with a different one from this new game. It's a far better looking image even if the hair isn't quite right. Also, when I have a chance later this week I'm going to invest some time in building her up more as an actual character since she's so bare bones. Thing is part of it's going to be sorta play-by-ear develop as I go, since that's what I like to do with roleplaying, so... yeah.

FallingRainClericQueenCassie.pdf

So for a few different reasons, I've dumped my previous character and adopted one from a story I wrote called "The West Tower"(an adaptation of the American television show The West Wing) instead. Her name is Gretchen Vogel, and she's a griffon paladin from Hoofover who speaks in a Germane (German, specifically Hanover) accent. She won't be played like a typical paladin because she's more about serving Celestia in gratitude for what Celestia has done for her people, so none of your usual "so strict moral code I have stick up my butt and am no fun in the party" stuff. I've already spoken with EquestrianScholar at length over this, but I'm making this post for the benefit of others reading the thread, as I'm hoping it'll encourage others to join. Here is a blurb from my story to give ya'll reading an idea of what she's like:

“I apologize if you were waiting a while,” Celestia said. She tucked an open folder on her desk into one drawer, withdrawing another from a different drawer. “I’m afraid I had quite a few words for Duchess Seafoam on her behavior today.”

“It was not a trouble, I assure you,” said Gretchen.

“I’m glad to hear that. So,” said Celestia, opening the folder and staring down at the top sheet of paper. “You are Gretchen Vogel, from Hoofover. That is near Griffonstone itself, is it not?”

“It is,” Gretchen answered. “Though it is a more modern city. Griffonstone is quite… ancient.”

Celestia slowly nodded. “That is true. I have visited the ancient capital of Griffonia many times, though not recently. You attended Trottingham University, under a knightly scholarship, with a major in Equestrian literature and a minor in Equestrian law?”

Gretchen nodded nervously. “Yes, I was an apprentice, sponsored by my Patron, to be an educated warrior. I believe my title in Equestrian is Bookblade.”

“An interesting mix of pursuits,” Celestia commented. “Not one many ponies would undertake. What is your chosen weapon?”

“Short sword, Princess,” Gretchen said. Her eyes lit up as she spoke. “I prefer it over the longsword or the spear. It does not have the same reach, but it is quick, and lets me strike and fly away before my enemy can attack. I am considered very highly skilled.”

Celestia let out a small laugh. “Let us hope you never need to practice those skills here. My Royal Guard are too proud to let anyone else defend me.”

“Oh of course, Princess.” Gretchen squirmed in her chair, a hot blush coming to her cheeks.

“Now, as to why you’re here.” The Princess closed Gretchen’s file, placing her full attention on Gretchen. “The position of bodyaide is very important to me. My previous aide served with me for seventy years before she passed away several years ago. I considered her a very close friend, as I have with all of my aides before her, and as I would like with you. You will see me nearly every waking moment, aiding me in every task. You will be my confidant, someone with whom I can speak frankly. There are few others with whom I could be so open and honest. In other words, Gretchen, you will be my friend first, and my employee second. This is not at all a position for those who seek glory or fame. As such, I must ask: why do you seek this position?”

“I…” Gretchen stammered. She closed her eyes, took in a deep breath to try and calm her nerves, and then opened her eyes again. “I want to serve my country, to serve Equestria. My people, we are not respected much by ponies, even though Griffonia has been a loyal state of Equestria for many centuries.” She looked up directly into Celestia’s eyes. “Under your rulership, my people have changed. We are not as violent. We respect our females as much as our males. Without your rulership I would not be an educated griffon. I would be lucky if I were more than a scullery maid. But with it, we can be friends. A thousand years ago, a griffon in your presence would be an assassin or an assailant, and would be struck down as such. But today, I can sit here because I grew up inspired by you, by what you represent. Friendship. Harmony. I wish nothing more than to defend and show respect to these virtues, and to serve you by your side, to pay proper dues for that which you have given me.”

Gretchen flopped back in her chair, sweating, though whether from the effort or from just her nerves she couldn’t say. “I would never seek this position for something so base as my personal glory, or fame. I am here for all griffons, to show to ponies that we should be seen with equal respect, that all might be equal under the sun.”

Celestia stayed silent for many moments, her regal posture fixed in examination of Gretchen, as though she were peering under Gretchen’s feathers into her very soul. Gretchen did her best to keep straight, to not waver or look away.

“I see,” Celestia finally said. “Your sentiments are honorable, Gretchen. Quite commendable.” She placed Gretchen’s file back into a drawer and closed it shut with a firm thud. “I will let you know my decision within a day. In the meantime, I would like to ask something of you.”

GretchenVogelPaladinQueenCassie.pdf

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm glad to see this, and everything seems to be in order with the character sheet. My apologizes for not posting before and making you double post. Glad to see a Paladin join the ranks of this adventure, I have a fondness for the class myself and I could perhaps even PM you a PDF of a little book I use for playing Paladins or knightly characters.

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, EquestrianScholar said:

I'm glad to see this, and everything seems to be in order with the character sheet. My apologizes for not posting before and making you double post. Glad to see a Paladin join the ranks of this adventure, I have a fondness for the class myself and I could perhaps even PM you a PDF of a little book I use for playing Paladins or knightly characters.

I think I'd like that book, thanks. It'll be useful, methinks.

9 hours ago, Queen Cassie said:

I think I'd like that book, thanks. It'll be useful, methinks.

Lets see if I can get a digital copy to send your way, I thought I had one but am having trouble finding it.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

A few questions.

How many slots do you have open?

I understand you do not allow homebrewed races, but what about homebrewed spells? I'm quite partial to changing things like damage types and personalizing spells for my characters. 

Will this be taking place on Roll20? If so, would you supply a sheet for me to fill out on there instead of a separate one? Editable docs have a bad tendency of not saving properly in my experience and I much prefer roll 20 sheets instead. Plus Roll20 sheets allow ease of rolling. 

will communication be done via skype or discord? I have both and no bias for either. 

• 4 weeks later...

I still have a few slots open, perhaps even more if those who had shown interest before.

On the use of "custom" spells... possibly though only with approval. If you take a spell and simply change damage type, shape, similar effect, or other details which are comparable to the original.

We can most this to Roll20, though I may not have access to a working computer until November 10th so there may be a bit of await for such.

On whether we use Skype or Discord, matters what the players have an account to. I gave both, so either works fine.

-----------

Also, I will be updated the list of available races. I have added Tactics of Everglow to the Google Drive, which actually add dragon ponies and kitsune style race... Also a panda race, though I have yet to decide if I'm going to allow the race.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, that makes D&D 5e a really good fit when it comes to which tabletop to play.

The reason being, because of how a lot of the game mechanics were actually made to be a lot more streamline or even perhaps a bit simplified compared to the complexity and versatility of either D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder... Which can be overwhelming for new players, if enjoyable for more experienced roleplayers.

Again, the link above provides all the resources that would really be needed counting the Player's Handbook that gives the basic rules and the Ponyfinder resources as well.

Sure I'd love to have the both of you join, just look things over and decide which class you want to play. If you need help knowing where certain races are, let me know and I can tell you which book to look in.

• Brohoof 1

I could set up a Discord or we can set up a chat on Skype, but I would like the actual roleplaying to take place here as much as possible. At least in part, as I want to start growing more active on MLP Forums. Like if any dice rolling is needed we can do that on Discord, but then post out the results here on the site.

• Brohoof 1

Well it would matter how we do this. I would like to keep a fair bit of the posting here on the site, with much of the roleplay taking place on MLP Forums, and mostly keeping Discord for Out of Character discussions, planning, or dice rolling. More Play by Post then using the likes of Roll20 or other chat focused roleplaying, though this admittedly takes more time to get through a scenario... especially during battles. So no set schedule, just whenever each party member can post.

At the same time, I understand the preference of wanting to just pick a day to roleplay and spending of few solid hours focusing on the game. More so when it is through voice chatting and the benefits of such sites as Roll20 or even just Discord, allowing the game to progress much more quickly. For this, it will matter the conscientious among the players and whether or not they would be willing to try keeping MLP Forums as the main platform for roleplaying.

• Brohoof 1

On 11/15/2017 at 11:49 AM, EquestrianScholar said:

Well it would matter how we do this. I would like to keep a fair bit of the posting here on the site, with much of the roleplay taking place on MLP Forums, and mostly keeping Discord for Out of Character discussions, planning, or dice rolling. More Play by Post then using the likes of Roll20 or other chat focused roleplaying, though this admittedly takes more time to get through a scenario... especially during battles. So no set schedule, just whenever each party member can post.

At the same time, I understand the preference of wanting to just pick a day to roleplay and spending of few solid hours focusing on the game. More so when it is through voice chatting and the benefits of such sites as Roll20 or even just Discord, allowing the game to progress much more quickly. For this, it will matter the conscientious among the players and whether or not they would be willing to try keeping MLP Forums as the main platform for roleplaying.

Let me know when you set up the discord.