Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(edited)

Can I count myself?

Anyway, I actually meant beautiful things in general. Like nature, art styles, languages (some of them sound attractive to people)...

But if you like more specific things, like a game (counts as art, if the storyline and/or visuals took effort) or a person, sure. You could always think of the reasons why, figure out what you like about them, and maybe realize that you like other games/people/whatevs with the same characteristics.

I'll try to demonstrate here, make such an analysis, then think of other games I like because of the qualities they share with it.

I'll start with Okami for the Wii, for example.

It has a gorgeous world to explore, represented in cool traditional Japanese art style, and the "praise" system has a more interesting feeling than the generic "experience". Gameplay is also great, switching between

on-screen to perform miracles, and pushing buttons
the wiimote. The characters have different,
personalities, as their lines and behavior show it. The storyline is a clever combination of many Japanese myths and legends (I read in an article that the backstory of Kaguya, the "bamboo beauty", is nearly identical to the original tale), and the same goes for enemies and names taken directly from Japanese mythology (Nagi<-Izanagi, Susano<-Susano Wo...).
are done with humor, even when
are involved, and there are moments ranging from
to
to

You'll realize, at this point, that one of my main reasons for loving a game and finding it beautiful, is CULTURE.

Okami is full of art, from graphics to music right down to gameplay; not to mention the mythological content, which appeals to the fantasy-lover in me. Sonic and the Secret Rings, heavily inspired by Arabian tales of course, also has cool enemies and dinosaurs and such. Sonic Unleashed makes you visit different countries, each one having different customs and looks.

Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 1