Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Do You Think About Alicorn ocs?

FemaleIntrovert1995

Like most OC's, I am quite indifferent on them. If the character simply doesn't match an RP and seems incredibly out of place by being an alicorn, then it is a problem, but other than that, I don't care how they are made. That is my general opinion on OC's.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think there is a "worst" kind of OC, but while I actually prefer this kind of OCs over "edgy" ones, I am not really into them. The best OCs are the ones which look like if they could be background ponies in the show.

For the most part I'm 100% Indifferent to OC's to be honest..... But... In this example I am not.

I'm very sorry to say that Alicorn OC's are the most cancerous of Cancer. Like... Super Cancer.

For a great many reasons. But greatest among them is simply that the chances of a Alicorn OC being a strait out Mary Sue is about 95% in my experience.

And even the one's that are not are more or less missing a important point.

And that's that making a character in a setting that's one of the most power in the setting is not enjoying said setting.

Its wish fulfillment. Which is fine, but please don't inflict it on other people.

Its not a matter of making some one who's powerful in a setting.

It a matter of making some one who's one of if not the most powerful in a setting AND would be instantly recognized and fawned over.

That's not to say I'm stating you CANT make a good Alicorn OC, I in fact have seen some very well written Alicorn OC's.. But I have NEVER seen a well played one...

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, blackstarraven said:

For the most part I'm 100% Indifferent to OC's to be honest..... But... In this example I am not.

I'm very sorry to say that Alicorn OC's are the most cancerous of Cancer. Like... Super Cancer.

For a great many reasons. But greatest among them is simply that the chances of a Alicorn OC being a strait out Mary Sue is about 95% in my experience.

And even the one's that are not are more or less missing a important point.

And that's that making a character in a setting that's one of the most power in the setting is not enjoying said setting.

Its wish fulfillment. Which is fine, but please don't inflict it on other people.

Its not a matter of making some one who's powerful in a setting.

It a matter of making some one who's one of if not the most powerful in a setting AND would be instantly recognized and fawned over.

That's not to say I'm stating you CANT make a good Alicorn OC, I in fact have seen some very well written Alicorn OC's.. But I have NEVER seen a well played one...

True, especially the rainbow infested ones. The worst one I've come across is a Alicorn that is supposedly Flurry Heart's twin sister.However she's gothic and controls the weather. Her name is Stormy Heart I saw her on this video on YouTube https://youtu.be/9UaxGe8e-Ig

I suppose it goes for any oc I have seen, griffons, pegasi, unicorns and earth ponies that were complete mary sues and gary stues, but to answer the question I really don't mind an alicorn oc who am I to tell somebody what their oc can and can't be, but there is somethings that do bother me when it comes to any oc which are 1. when their oc is completely unbeatable,have no flaws and the most intelligent being of all 2. when they are related to the princesses, friends with the princesses , shipped with the princesses or the princesses just happen to take them under their wing because they see potential in them 3. when people take characters from the show and turn them evil or fuse them together, but their still evil and the list goes on, but I am going to leave it there, but like I said this goes for any oc, but this is only my opinion if you want to make an all powerful oc or ponysona who am I to stop you? they help people escape reality, but in the end its just an oc who cares what they look like or what power they have as long as its original and not taken from the show what does it matter? its not hurting anybody if you feel their oc is unfair to a rp then put rules before posting the rp or ask them if they can change it to fit in with the rp I suppose I should end it here well everybody keep oc'ing and ponysonaing on and have a ponyrific day.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Yamet said:

They are the worst kind of OC's, if you ask me.  I've always felt that people more often than not make their OC an alicorn in an attempt to make it seem more special without doing any work.  

Personally if I choose an alicorn its because it has more ability and freedom. But I have multiple OCs and I never settle on which should be my ponysona, and they all tend to be more complicated than alicorns lol.

Personally if its alternate universe or good explanatory plot building up to it or such then its probably alright. If they suddenly invade ponyville and are besties with the mane 6 etc GAH no plz lol.

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion, as long they're written well or at least had some effort put into their creation, than to me there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. The whole 'Alicorn OCs are bad' mentality has always bugged me. It's not what kind of race a character is that makes it bad- it's how said character was written and created, and those things should solely be the deciding factor.

Also, I've always wondered- what if someone wants to make an Alicorn OC simply because they prefer the body type? I hardly ever see anyone address that.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Chrylestia600 said:

In my opinion, as long they're written well or at least had some effort put into their creation, than to me there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. The whole 'Alicorn OCs are bad' mentality has always bugged me. It's not what kind of race a character is that makes it bad- it's how said character was written and created, and those things should solely be the deciding factor.

Also, I've always wondered- what if someone wants to make an Alicorn OC simply because they prefer the body type? I hardly ever see anyone address that.

I think their body type is probably more structurally sound but since the world operates on magic that factor prolly doesn't mean anything. For a form tho I think queen changeling would be ok, but I dislike chitin, its got low neural-cognitive potential. But I guess hive-minds make up for that loss right, and could always give them sensory magic to compensate.

lol I have a f**king bat pony alicorn oc called Atomic Chaos. So the f**k do I know? I don't care I think they are fun.  @Techno Universal has been great in the rp where doing togther. And yes I love alicorns in rp's, they f**k shit up and are amazing. Also would want GlimGlam do be an alicorn.

• Brohoof 4

Hello, @@FemaleIntrovert1995

Because this thread is discussing original characters that the fandom of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic produces and less so regarding art work, I will be moving this thread to Sugarcube Corner. It will recieve the most appropriate attention there.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, chaosprincess said:

I suppose it goes for any oc I have seen, griffons, pegasi, unicorns and earth ponies that were complete mary sues and gary stues, but to answer the question I really don't mind an alicorn oc who am I to tell somebody what their oc can and can't be, but there is somethings that do bother me when it comes to any oc which are 1. when their oc is completely unbeatable,have no flaws and the most intelligent being of all 2. when they are related to the princesses, friends with the princesses , shipped with the princesses or the princesses just happen to take them under their wing because they see potential in them 3. when people take characters from the show and turn them evil or fuse them together, but their still evil and the list goes on, but I am going to leave it there, but like I said this goes for any oc, but this is only my opinion if you want to make an all powerful oc or ponysona who am I to stop you? they help people escape reality, but in the end its just an oc who cares what they look like or what power they have as long as its original and not taken from the show what does it matter? its not hurting anybody if you feel their oc is unfair to a rp then put rules before posting the rp or ask them if they can change it to fit in with the rp I suppose I should end it here well everybody keep oc'ing and ponysonaing on and have a ponyrific day.

Oh ya... Like I said.

Make any OC anyone wants to.

Just to make other have to put up with them.

And again, ya its very likely that some one some one can make a non-alicorn OC that's a mary sue.

Its just that almost all OC's Alicorn I have seen ARE Mary sues.

I might run across one who's not some day. But I don't think so. And If I do, I really feel like its going to be some one actually going out of there way to make a lame/sad sack Alicorn OC...

--------------

I was in truth pretty ammused when some one told me that you needed a OC to really be a bornie... 

I mean I think I have made one MLP OC in the whole five years I have watched the show for a game. And it was a bat pony lychee farmer.

Edited by blackstarraven

6 minutes ago, blackstarraven said:

Oh ya... Like I said.

Make any OC anyone wants to.

Just to make other have to put up with them.

And again, ya its very likely that some one some one can make a non-alicorn OC that's a mary sue.

Its just that almost all OC's Alicorn I have seen ARE Mary sues.

I might run across one who's not some day. But I don't think so. And If I do, I really feel like its going to be some one actually going out of there way to make a lame/sad sack Alicorn OC...

--------------

I was in truth pretty ammused when some one told me that you needed a OC to really be a bornie... 

I mean I think I have made one MLP OC in the whole five years I have watched the show for a game. And it was a bat pony lychee farmer.

Yes that is true most ocs tend to be alicorns that are all powerful and who is adored by all or who happen to become one through the princesses finding potential in them, but I don't mind alicorn ocs just as long as their not perfect in every way and have a good written back story on how they became one.

(edited)

Pretty much all of my opinions on any controversial subject are the same. This answer basically applies to every controversial fanfiction subject; alicorn OC's, Canon x OC shipping, "overpowered" characters, etc.

If you created the OC for a fanfiction or other story, that's great. The world they live in is the world you've created, you are free to do with them what you will. And if you choose to radically change the canon of the established universe (e.g. Fallout Equestria), then it's up to the reader to accept those changes in order to enjoy the story. Thusly, if you're writing an MLP fanfiction, the universe that you create may allow as many alicorns as you please. It's your world, it's simply based on another's work.

Writing a fanfiction is basically pitching a question to an audience, such as, "Would it be cool if Equestria had 6 alicorns instead of 5?", and then basically supporting that question with your good writing skills. The audience must trust the writer to do justice to the characters that they've come to love, as well as write the new alicorn in a manner that receives praise and merit of that status. If the audience rejects the notion, that's completely fine. They don't have to read it.

However, if your OC is part of a roleplay, that's where I have a problem. A roleplay is a place for authors to piece together a story in a shared universe. So introducing an alicorn OC is basically demanding that your idea (Equestria having 6 alicorns instead of 5) is a good one, and forcing the other authors to accept whatever writing you're going to introduce, no matter how good or bad it is.

This lack of trust is where a lot of prejudicial hate for alicorn OC's comes from. Nobody really trusts a stranger with an alicorn OC, since many authors use their OC's status to boost their own ego. Forcing people to accept what you have to bring to the table is scary, because it takes freedom away from the other roleplayers, and makes them uncomfortable.

I know this probably isn't the answer a lot of you were expecting, but in short, here's what I think about alicorn OC's. If it's in a fanfiction, that's completely fine. It's the author's universe, you can accept or reject it. However, if it's in a roleplay, it's not okay, because the presence of an alicorn drastically changes the universe that is owned by several authors. The only way I would be okay with an alicorn OC in a roleplay is if it's well written and the other authors accept it.

Edited by Meson Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Meson Bolt said:

Pretty much all of my opinions on any controversial subject are the same. This answer basically applies to every controversial fanfiction subject; alicorn OC's, Canon x OC shipping, "overpowered" characters, etc.

If you created the OC for a fanfiction or other story, that's great. The world they live in is the world you've created, you are free to do with them what you will. And if you choose to radically change the canon of the established universe (e.g. Fallout Equestria), then it's up to the reader to accept those changes in order to change the story. Thusly, if you're writing an MLP fanfiction, the universe that you create may allow as many alicorns as you please. It's your world, it's simply based on another's work.

Writing a fanfiction is basically pitching a question to an audience, such as, "Would it be cool if Equestria had 6 alicorns instead of 5?", and then basically supporting that question with your good writing skills. The audience must trust the writer to do justice to the characters that they've come to love, as well as write the new alicorn in a manner that receives praise and merit of that status. If the audience rejects the notion, that's completely fine. They don't have to read it.

However, if your OC is part of a roleplay, that's where I have a problem. A roleplay is a place for authors to piece together a story in a shared universe. So introducing an alicorn OC is basically demanding that your idea (Equestria having 6 alicorns instead of 5) is a good one, and forcing the other authors to accept whatever writing you're going to introduce, no matter how good or bad it is.

This lack of trust is where a lot of prejudicial hate for alicorn OC's comes from. Nobody really trusts a stranger with an alicorn OC, since many authors use their OC's status to boost their own ego. Forcing people to accept what you have to bring to the table is scary, because it takes freedom away from the other roleplayers, and makes them uncomfortable.

I know this probably isn't the answer a lot of you were expecting, but in short, here's what I think about alicorn OC's. If it's in a fanfiction, that's completely fine. It's the author's universe, you can accept or reject it. However, if it's in a roleplay, it's not okay, because the presence of an alicorn drastically changes the universe that is owned by several authors. The only way I would be okay with an alicorn OC in a roleplay is if it's well written and the other authors accept it.

That's the best answer I've ever heard about the subject.

Especially,  about OCs in fanfictions being okay for the writers to write them in their own way and that's it's up to the readers to either accept or refuse them! To be honest, I've been scared about writing MLP fan fiction staring my (non-alicorn) OCs for a long time because I thought it's pretty much unacceptable to do so. But if it's really up to my potential readers to chose whether to accept or refuse it, that's fine!

You know? I should write my fan fiction ideas, even if it's not objectively the best. I'm sure the ideas in my head could gain an audience, even if it's small. Thanks, @Meson Bolt!

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Tilgoreth said:

lol I have a f**king bat pony alicorn oc called Atomic Chaos. So the f**k do I know? I don't care I think they are fun.  @Techno Universal has been great in the rp where doing togther. And yes I love alicorns in rp's, they f**k shit up and are amazing. Also would want GlimGlam do be an alicorn.

Uhh... Being mostly what you could call a gentleman that's quite unusually explicit with your language. :)

• Brohoof 1

Most of them are bad, but then again most MLP OCs in general are bad, and most OCs that aren't for MLP are bad too. I don't understand why people make OCs, since it's not like that they are ever going to be a part of the franchise that they are based of off anyway. 

• Brohoof 1

This is just my opinion... I don't like them I think they're just over powered, and don't make any sense in a lore stand point. Though I can tolerate the ones that aren't related to a cannon character, and have a somewhat well thought out back story... or if they're from an alternative universe.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't have anything against alicorn OC's. I prefer too many alicorn OC's then too many alicorns in the show to be fair. As long as there is work and effort put in it making them it is fine by me. :grin:

Edited by Hierok
  • Brohoof 1

It's their OC, and I let them do what they want. I may have even considered mine becoming one, but if it isn't in the show, why care? Yes, many of them are terrible, but they aren't harming anyone. 

11 hours ago, Meson Bolt said:

If you created the OC for a fanfiction or other story, that's great. The world they live in is the world you've created, you are free to do with them what you will. And if you choose to radically change the canon of the established universe (e.g. Fallout Equestria), then it's up to the reader to accept those changes in order to enjoy the story. Thusly, if you're writing an MLP fanfiction, the universe that you create may allow as many alicorns as you please. It's your world, it's simply based on another's work.

I definitely think it is okay in a roleplay as long as they allow it. I don't see why a potential option for your character is bad as long as the aithors are okay. 

If it's written well, I'm okay with that. However, I am also okay with a character needs to have are written back story. For example, I have a roleplay character (human) who I thought was overpowered, so I rewrote his back story.

But if you want to make alicorns, fine. I mean, I don't really consider them annoying (well, I havnt even got a roleplay once because I don't have either the time or the confidence needed to get/join one.) Unless like you said, they're overpowered.

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Foxy Socks said:

but if it isn't in the show, why care? Yes, many of them are terrible, but they aren't harming anyone. 

Since when does something have to harm anyone before people are allowed to express an opinion about it?  

• Brohoof 1