Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general If you had the choice, what time period would you chose to be born in?

The Equestrian Brony

9 hours ago, ZakhepBloodyknife said:

Im fine in this century :´v.

Because there is no INTERNET, NO BRONYS AND PEGASISTERS! D:.

Damn right, too much cool stuff now for me to want to be born in older times that are too romanticized anyways :dash: 

• Brohoof 2

I would love to be born in a future in which we have already began to terraform other planets and constantly every day knowing that we're searching each planet for signs of alien life....

Yea, weird I know....

• Brohoof 2

I'm strongly sure that we live in super interesting time. Fashion, technological revolution and stuff.

But if I had to try something different I would chose Murrica '60-'70s...

Why? CUZWROOMWROOMGIANTV8SGASBARRELPEEDCONCRETRIVER!!!11one :sneer:

Don't judge me :D

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think it's silly that people want to live in the past. We are currently at the height of human prosperity, living lives of greater comfort, ease, safety and wellbeing than at any other point in human history. We're truly in the Golden Age of civilization, right here, right now. Heck, with that in mind, I'd like to live in the *future* (assuming things keep looking up instead of crashing and burning horribly).

...That being said, I'd like an idealized version of the 1950s (with less oppression of women).

Edited by Daring_Do
  • Brohoof 7

As fascinated as I am with history, there's no way in the world I would have wanted to have been born any earlier than I was. There really not need much explanation. Even with my interest in music history in particular, if I actually existed back in the eras of Baroque or early music, I would not even be allowed to play the instruments I love because it was considered uncouth for women to play woodwind instruments. Like at the girls' orphanage that Vivaldi worked at - Pio Ospedale della Pieta where girls were raised to play instruments such as the oboe and bassoon, they were only allowed to perform behind curtains and even still they were only being trained as musicians to be desirable to men. It's disgusting. (As it turns out, I have so much more opportunity to play these musical instruments and the music of the composers today than I would have back then)

That aside, I don't think I could stomach the horrible treatment of minorities I'm not a part of, either. I would be so incredibly disgusted by slavery it wouldn't even be funny. If I lived in between slavery and my birth I would experience the Jim Crow laws and other racism/discrimination and it would also disgust me to my core. I've been ingrained with such a strong abhorrence toward such discrimination, I honestly don't think I could even breath in such a time. I would be so angry all of the time.

I mean, you should have seen how angry I was when this morning I learned that Trump is banning transgender people from serving in the military. You should see how angry I am that Trump who ran on this kind of hatred is even president. I would not be able to live back in a time when it was far worse. If anything I should have been born later than I was. But the future is uncertain, too uncertain.

• Brohoof 5

2 hours ago, Envy said:

I mean, you should have seen how angry I was when this morning I learned that Trump is banning transgender people from serving in the military. You should see how angry I am that Trump who ran on this kind of hatred is even president. I would not be able to live back in a time when it was far worse. If anything I should have been born later than I was. But the future is uncertain, too uncertain.

Everyone in the UK like me finds Trump to be a joke. You're not the only one. 

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, The Equestrian Brony said:

Everyone in the UK like me finds Trump to be a joke. You're not the only one. 

I hear that's the same all over. The only people who don't think he's an utter moron are here in this place.

• Brohoof 1

51 minutes ago, Barik the Luigineer said:

I hear that's the same all over. The only people who don't think he's an utter moron are here in this place.

Most of the world really doesn't have a place to talk. Apart from a handful of countries, most places are pretty messed up in their own right. I'd take Trump over the leaders of most countries.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Daring_Do said:

Most of the world really doesn't have a place to talk. Apart from a handful of countries, most places are pretty messed up in their own right. I'd take Trump over the leaders of most countries.

Well I mean he's not a bad guy. He's ok. It's just that if you mention him in London people will laugh at you except maybe a few. They won't be mad, but they'll just giggle. In Ireland though no one hates him. I like Ireland, everyone there just knows how to have fun XD. I live in Scotland though. Not everyone hates him. London just seems to be the stuck up ones in this situation. I don't really know how I feel about Trump though. good/bad, who knows. 

2 hours ago, Daring_Do said:

If most countries are like North Korea, I agree. But I don't know who most of the world leaders are and keep track of their policies. Nonetheless, He's pretty freaking bad.

• Brohoof 1

I've spent far too many hours of daydreaming in my life on subjects like this, and other similar ones. But you see, I just have too much of an emotional attachment to my parents, family, and friends to give a legitimate answer to this question as it stands. That isn't to say I wouldn't enjoy temporary time travel - I mean, who could honestly say no to temporary time travel (on the predetermined basis that it is 100% proven and safe, and with 100% ability to come back to the exact time at which you left)?

Despite all the times I have considered myself to have more in common with people 10 to 20 years older than I am (traditional values, a deep love for simplicity, and an inherent respect for property of any kind regardless of what it is, among other things)... I would never dare to say that I wish I were born as a Gen X instead of a Gen Y, because even considering some of the bad things I've had in my life, the good things outweigh everything else tenfold.

Nonetheless, I will still give a hypothetical answer to OP's question...

I know that this may sound like a ridiculously corny, and possibly materialistic reason, but in all honesty, I do not feel that it should be viewed as such - I would have loved to have been able to see some of my favorite grunge bands [in person] performing concerts while they were still putting albums out, namely Nirvana, but probably also Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and so on (ergo, I would have loved to have been a young adult in the early 90's, which would mean I'd have been born in the late 70's). 

It is unfortunate that there is somewhat of a negative stigma attached to people who listen to grunge music. I don't listen to it because I want to be different; I don't listen to it because I'm depressed; I don't listen to it because I'm trying to be counter-culture... No, none of that. I listen to grunge because I just love it, plain and simply. It strums just the right chord inside me, and pulls me in. I'm not saying the genre itself doesn't have some elements that make it seem depressing, or make it seem like it's trying to be counter-culture, but regardless of that, it comes down to the individual and how they interpret the music. 

Anyway, I wouldn't change my birthdate, but if I were to be able to time travel safely and with the ability to return to my current present time, I would go back to see the beginning of the grunge genre in person. 

Furthermore, to give additional reasons as to why I would have liked to enjoy the 90's as a young adult (and I swear I am trying to say this in the most objective manner as I can), the 90's were undeniably the "Calm Before the Storm" turning point of society and technology. By then, car manufacturers were finally learning how to build cars that satisfied both the government and the people; safety and efficiency standards were becoming achievable without dissatisfying consumers with under-powered engines and notoriously over-utilitarian designs (albeit, Japanese Imports were nearly a decade ahead of American vehicles in the 90's, although we caught back up by the turn of the century). Music was still listened to via Boombox for the most part, but portable cassette tape players would be just coming out and would soon gain popularity quite quickly. MTV still aired music that could quench the majority of peoples' tastes. While still essentially rivals within the government, Democrats and Republicans (and most others) could still speak to each other calmly in person and/or in public without screaming at each other and wanting to rip each others' throats out. The advent of the Internet as we know it now had not yet come to light, and cell phones were larger than bricks so not too many people used them. Terrorism was probably one of the last things on our mind, even bearing in mind the attempted attack in '93. Our society as a whole was mature enough shrug off comedy we thought was distasteful or offensive, rather than being triggered into acting like someone just pissed all over their KIA'd grandfather's grave.

(At least from an American standpoint) The 90's really were a great decade to live through because society wasn't as chaotic and hateful as we are now, and people still lived their lives as themselves in person without relying on an ever evolving alias, and without being hidden with the cloak of anonymity. We as a whole were happy... were content... and were hopeful with what we thought we would see in the near future, because - excluding the silly Y2K scare - we expected the first decade of the 21st century to be a continuation of what we saw in the 90's, but better, as we expected major breakthroughs in technology that would make the 00's a happier and more advanced version of the 90's. While we did indeed get to have almost all those major technological breakthroughs pretty much come to light, we never expected what the 00's actually brought us.

So, that is why I would have liked to have experienced the 90's as a young adult: we were moving forward without taking two steps back, and our outlook on the future was mostly positive as we walked next to our friends... of whom some may have had polar opposite political views, but we didn't care. Vietnam was 15 years in the past and we were finally feeling stable again. We lived life simply, and one of our biggest worries was merely about what SPF of sunscreen to buy. We felt as though we had our lives in control. And well, we did... Until September 11, 2001. That was beginning of an ultimately unpredictable society. A new hell was born, as we finally had our lucky streak of breaking the wishbone in equal halves taken away from us. 

• Brohoof 1

If given the chance, I'd prefer being born in the future, at least 1000 years or so from the present because I'd be able to grow up in a civilization capable of interstellar travel among other various technological goodies.

• Brohoof 2

Where I am right now is fine. There are too many contagious diseases in the past, and too much sexism and racism, not to mention poor healthcare. I don't know anything about the future because it obviously hasn't happened yet, so I can't choose there, either. I feel safer where I am right now.

• Brohoof 2

1990 America... I've always been curious what it would like growing up in the 90s, I feel it would be similar to the early 2000s. Another choice would be 2400 America... I mean lets be real, who isn't curious what the world would be like 383 years later.

If I could I would've like to be born in a time when uploading your consciousness to a computer/machine would be a thing. I'd totally would like to do that! :D

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...