Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Shining Armor vs Starlight Glimmer

Philweasel

11 hours ago, Tilgoreth said:

How else did he survive Chrysalis's seird fantasies. 

Starlgith teleports inside his head killing him. Done.

But do we know you can teleport something through a magical shield? If that was the case, then magical shields would be a bit redundant. We know you can inhibit winking from Crystal Empire two-parter, so it's not something you cannot counter. Suffice to say, wink is one of the more common spells of "powerful unicorns" and Shining was the head of Canterlot security.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, Lambdadelta said:

Shining is best for his endurance, Starlight is best for versatility, whoever can make use of their advantages can win. In brawl fight without any complicate tactics, Shining can absorb all the attacks and let Starlight burn out. If Starlight can use a half of her brain then Shining will be in trouble because his ability is too defensive, but its not impossible for Shining to win, afterall, his stamina and his mane pool are massive (he is being absorbed by Chrysalis everyday and still protect Canterlot with his shield until near the end of Canterlot Wedding), Starlight was just exhausted by the simple Shooting Lazer and Shield fights with Twilight, if she cant finish the fight fast (which is impossible due to Shining ridiculous stamina), she'll lose. Remember Shining protected THE WHOLE CANTERLOT by himself, imagine if he use his power to protect HIMSELF alone, and who says he cant attack? He can hold Sombra to buy time for mane 6 and stay alive, Starlight cannot even finish the fight with Twilight. I dont care how many skills you have in RPG if your enemy's HP is 5x more than yours and you cannot even inflict any damage to him.

So, i think Shining will win in a duel, unless Starlight use teleport to escape (i will count escaping as losing the duel), or she has some ridiculous spells that i didnt even know yet.

First off you think Shining Armor can outlast somebody who has way more magic power than he does. Second you think Queen Chrysalis can absorb magic when it's been stated that she was absorbing his love for Cadence. Third you must've completely ignored all the previous post on why the Alicorns are much stronger than even elite unicorns like Shining Armor. Fourth I already said that Cadence has a better shield feat than Shining Armor does and she's weaker than Alicorn Twilight. Fifth fighting with magic all the while maintaining levitation at the same time and battling a alicorn and trying to block their magic which is so powerful that normal unicorns can't even be compared to sounds like it would take way more toll on their stamina than simply maintaining a barrier around a city especially considering how Cadence maintained a barrier around an EMPIRE instead of a city for days. Finally sixth what are you talking him buying time for Twilight and the others. He merely attacked Sombra and caused him to change targets for a few seconds anypony can do that he barely made it back to the Crystal Empire himself. He even got instantly rekted again by Sombra in the comics. Also if you are using RPG than I guess I'll just explain with Fire Emblem. The Alicorns are lvl 15 Sages while Starlight is a lvl 16 Wonder Pupil and Shining Armor is a lvl 20 Mage. So let me rephrase it like this so you can understand.

King Sombra > Starlight >= Alicorns >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Queen Chyrsalis > Shining Armor > Unicorn Twilight > everybody else 

So you thinking Starlight not being able to overpower him is kinda stupid considering the power difference. Not to mention she knows even more spells than Twilight to top it off.

Edited by Peter16373
  • Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Philweasel said:

I do think Shining's absolute best chance is to get her mad, then tank her shots until she wears herself out. And personally, I'm pretty certain his shields are better than Twilight's. They're apparently better than Celestia and Luna's, otherwise they would be the ones shielding Canterlot.

His worst idea is to let her get clever and rational. Starlight's major advantage is her range of unique spells and her cunning, given some time to think I'm sure she could figure out some way to bypass his shields or force him to drop his defenses.

That's why he'd need to constantly jab at her with cheap spells with practically no casting time. Starlight likes to do everything with magic, including evasion, and constant pressure could keep her busy. This is where combat experience comes in. I do not really know if Shinning is up to snuff.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Peter16373 said:

First off you think Shining Armor can outlast somebody who has way more magic power than he does. Second you think Queen Chrysalis can absorb magic when it's been stated that she was absorbing his love for Cadence. Third you must've completely ignored all the previous post on why the Alicorns are much stronger than even elite unicorns like Shining Armor. Fourth I already said that Cadence has a better shield feat than Shining Armor does and she's weaker than Alicorn Twilight. Fifth fighting with magic all the while maintaining levitation at the same time and battling a alicorn and trying to block their magic which is so powerful that normal unicorns can't even be compared to sounds like it would take way more toll on their stamina than simply maintaining a barrier around a city especially considering how Cadence maintained a barrier around an EMPIRE instead of a city for days.

The Crystal Empire is a city. Frankly it's about the same size or smaller than Canterlot.

Also it makes sense that Cadance creates the barrier. Her magic is powered by love and postive emotion, which Sombra is weak to. (Hense why it damages him on contact)

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Philweasel said:

The Crystal Empire is a city. Frankly it's about the same size or smaller than Canterlot.

Also it makes sense that Cadance creates the barrier. Her magic is powered by love and postive emotion, which Sombra is weak to. (Hense why it damages him on contact)

Does the Crystal Empire really look smaller than Canterlot on the map to you?

This is the 2015 version of Equestria by the way

Edited by Peter16373

15 minutes ago, Peter16373 said:

Does the Crystal Empire really look smaller than Canterlot on the map to you?

Considering that ponies are visible in both images for scale, the Crystal Empire is a little more than twice the size of ponyville.

Unless the dragon in that map is stationary and very large, that map is an artistic piece, not a ordinance survey document.

IMG_0151.PNG

IMG_0152.PNG

(edited)

You know what lets just say the Crystal Empire is around the same size as Canterlot but it's slightly taller due to the Crystal Castle being way taller than the Canterlot Castle so Cadence either made a force field that was around the same size as Canterlot or slightly larger due to the castle. However my point still stands Cadence the weakest of the alicorn was also able to do the exact same thing Shining Armor did. Cause I really hate talking about size mostly because of inconsistent portrayals of them.

Edited by Peter16373

(edited)

You know what? I think Cadance is severely underestimated too.

Sure she doesn't carry herself like a fighter, and it was a little while before we even found out she could do a horn blast, but she's defeated the bad guy in more two parters than anyone not called Twilight Sparkle. Her combo 'changling be gone' spell with Shining Armor is the most impressive piece of magic ever seen in the show (I'd rate it over anything Tirek did), her shield is as mentioned seriously impressive, she held her own with Twilight against the Tatzelwurm (which later took out Discord), and using the Crystal Heart she vaporized Sombra. She blows anything Luna has ever done out of the water.

Honestly, if I was going to fight some big bad monster in direct combat, I would likely bring Celestia. If on the other hand I just wanted a big ol' love nuke dropped on some miscreants, I would be seriously considering Cadance.

EDIT: Link relevant to discussion.

Edited by Philweasel

8 minutes ago, Peter16373 said:

Also according to one of the books. Cadence became an alicorn by defeating some kind of monster by herself as a Pegasus.

It was a witch called Prismia apparently, and it was so impressive that Celestia made her an alicorn immediately. Twilight had to make friends for a whole year, and defeat Discord and Nightmare Moon!

1 minute ago, Philweasel said:

It was a witch called Prismia apparently, and it was so impressive that Celestia made her an alicorn immediately. Twilight had to make friends for a whole year, and defeat Discord and Nightmare Moon!

Well I guess that's because Cadence was already social enough to become a ruler one day and she just made an impressive achievement by herself so yeah maybe that's why? Or maybe she already took some required testing to become an alicorn from Celestia. While Twilight on the other hand wasn't quite social enough and she also only defeated the villains with help from her friends and the only achievement she did by herself was finishing the Starswirl spell. Which was what caused her to become an alicorn in the first place. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Peter16373 said:

Well I guess that's because Cadence was already social enough to become a ruler one day and she just made an impressive achievement by herself so yeah maybe that's why? Or maybe she already took some required testing to become an alicorn from Celestia. While Twilight on the other hand wasn't quite social enough and she also only defeated the villains with help from her friends and the only achievement she did by herself was finishing the Starswirl spell. Which was what caused her to become an alicorn in the first place. 

I imagine it was a tiny bit more complicated that the very brief description we got too. Plus there's the other elements of her origin, that she was a pegasus raised by earth ponies (a good start to being a alicorn) and that she was a orphan found abandoned in the woods (which makes the fact that she's apparently the destined 'Crystal Princess' extremely troperrific). Not to mention her cutie mark includes the crystal heart, which was hundreds of years lost at this point.

Really Cadance has a lot to her, that somewhat frustratingly we never see explored!

• Brohoof 1

Starlight has mind control spells, likely far better lasers, can fly, and she also is good at shield spells, she also has that freeze spell.

Shining literally can't win here. He isn't powerful enough

I do agree Cadence is more powerful than the show will ever show her to be (same as Celestia) but I still think she is under the other three alicorns.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
19 minutes ago, ryanmahaffe said:

Starlight has mind control spells, likely far better lasers, can fly, and she also is good at shield spells, she also has that freeze spell.

I do agree Cadence is more powerful than the show will ever show her to be (same as Celestia) but I still think she is under the other three alicorns.

And that is why people should read the comics. Badass showing of the Princesses, Cadence and Shining Armor love story in school, darker story arcs, backstory of characters and etc. Never really understood why people hate the comics.

Also in order to not get off topic I completely agree with reasons for Starlight winning.

Edited by Peter16373

22 minutes ago, ryanmahaffe said:

Actually all her best stuff has actually been on the show.

She's never done much of anything in the comics, which somewhat annoys me.

3 minutes ago, Philweasel said:

Actually all her best stuff has actually been on the show.

She's never done much of anything in the comics, which somewhat annoys me.

Well she was the one that helped Radiant Hope realize she was being tricked by the Umbrums that counts as something right? Although I do agree with you she doesn't have any else that's impressive in the comics but she does have some good characterization in it. Also Hope said she was possibly a descendant of Princess Amore so we did get some of her bloodline information from the comics as well.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Nohate said:

Well she was the one that helped Radiant Hope realize she was being tricked by the Umbrums that counts as something right? Although I do agree with you she doesn't have any else that's impressive in the comics but she does have some good characterization in it. Also Hope said she was possibly a descendant of Princess Amore so we did get some of her bloodline information from the comics as well.

I thought she was a little underused even in that. Honestly I felt it should have been about her, but she was kinda a facilitator of Radiant Hope and Sombra's story, and Cadance herself didn't grow, develop, or honestly do much.

Personally my feeling on Cadance is that although she lacks combat or magic training, her raw power is one of the highest among the Princesses. This wouldn't help her in a fight as such, but when her back's against the wall she can pull of some really amazing stuff. Since she's a love mage, you would also have to be pretty damn overconfident to take on Shining Armor and Cadance as a team.

I would bet on Celestia being their best fighter, but that she's hobbled by holding herself back too much and not particularly liking the parts of her combat draws out. As a result you'd have to get her really angry to see her let loose, and she generally prefers to allow others to do the fighting for her.

I would pick Luna as the weakest! Shock horror! Honestly we've never seen her do anything ultra-impressive, and even in the comics (which frequently have Celestia being awesome) Luna remains somewhat... underwhelming in a direct confrontation. This is however mitigated by her dream and sleep powers, which are both pretty unique and very powerful. She's the only pony in any offical work who has ever successfully hit Discord with a magical spell, which promptly knocked him out cold! That's pretty impressive! They've also repeatedly been shown to be really useful in the show, even if they don't help her in a fight as such.

Edited by Philweasel

4 hours ago, Nohate said:

Cadence isn't a bad character at all, but many people haven't got interest in her, which is a pity. :orly:

• Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...

Starlight would definitely win. Shadow Play has firmly established that Starlight can be and is more powerful than an alicorn. After all, if Starswirl can, why not Starlight?😈

I get this image of Starlight deniers screaming in fury and frustration now that they can't use the alicorn excuse to downplay Starlight. 😈

Edited by titanhades70

It's hard to say. SA does have military training, presumably including a great deal of combat training. Plus, he shielded Canterlot against all the Changelings despite being mind controlled. On the other hand, SG might have a better variety of attack spells 

• 4 years later...

Shining Armor's capabilities are unknown, except for his ability to cast a protective shield around Canterlot, whereas Starlight's capabilities are much more evident throughout FiM as she is seen casting multiple spells. I vote for Starlight based on her capabilities, but I feel like we haven't seen all that Shining Armor is capable of.