Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the movie coming out too late?

CastletonSnob

Yeah, I'm glad a movie is coming out at all,  but these are things you release when a show is in its heyday 

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Hierok said:

Weren't the Equestria girls franchise like the movie at that moment? 

Yeah, but there where some issues with it:

1- The Twilicorn started a drop in the audience

2- EG's concept of having human counterparts of our favorite characters was controversial in itself

3- While it wasn't a flop, it wasn't a huge success either

4- Had limited theatrical release. Unlike the upcoming 100% pony movie this year, where they are playing all the cards on deck 

• Brohoof 2

46 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Yeah, but there where some issues with it:

1- The Twilicorn started a drop in the audience

2- EG's concept of having human counterparts of our favorite characters was controversial in itself

3- While it wasn't a flop, it wasn't a huge success either

4- Had limited theatrical release. Unlike the upcoming 100% pony movie this year, where they are playing all the cards on deck 

That are all fair points, and since I began watching September 2015 I don't know how it was back in the days.

11 minutes ago, Hierok said:

That are all fair points, and since I began watching September 2015 I don't know how it was back in the days.

It was very inspiring to see all the other works from the fandom. I would say they had more passion making their projects than now, because they also had a larger audience in that time.

for example: Feedsys videos or Mandoponys songs:

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Hierok said:

I can't be much help on that subject. While I did experienced some of that vibe, it was short lived as I've joined the fandom roughly half-way S3. During the mini-december hiatus I think :huh:  

• Brohoof 1

Releasing the Movie now after 7 years is actually a good thing, imo. Sure, the overall exposure is down but MLP was never gone in the first place. Most people that saw the show/fandom back them where just mostly bandwagoning the initial hype. Trends die but not dedicated fans. Remember that there's still kids too that like MLP regardless of the fandom and they account for a lot of the show's viewership and vitality too. 

• Brohoof 2

On 7/27/2017 at 10:56 AM, Crystal Peppermint said:

I would say yes. The golden age was between 2011-2014. Now there are less fans here than before.

'fraid so. Newer fans are coming, but at lower numbers. Many veterans have already moved on to different and better things, and for them, MLP was nothing more than an enigma. The fandom's still strong, but with many veterans having left because of having lost their interests, even good things will eventually come to an end.

(edited)

I thought this thread was related to the month of release. In which case, I personally would have preferred a Summer release date because I'm off of university. I go back in October. ^_^ But I can understand them delaying it to an Autumn release due to competition or whatever.

As for the year of release, I think a better year would have been 2013. They allocated a lot of resources and time to Equestria Girls during that year and I think season 3 wasn't as good as a result of that choice. I wasn't that big a fan of Equestria Girls so I don't think the trade-off was worth it. I think it would have been better if they allocated all of their resources to a full movie given that the fandom had reached it's peak at that point and internet hype would have been crazy.

But overall, I'm just happy we're getting an official MLP movie at all. :pinkie:

Edited by Tiny Hoofs
  • Brohoof 1

You are all forgetting that we're not the target demographic. Hasbro is not making this movie for us, so it doesn't matter what the state of the fandom is when it's released.

It may have missed an opportunity if it's to break audience records, but if successful, it may get back to the 2011-2012 in audience. I'm not sure if one single period of a bigger audience is better than two different periods of big success :huh:  

6 hours ago, ihhh said:

You are all forgetting that we're not the target demographic. Hasbro is not making this movie for us, so it doesn't matter what the state of the fandom is when it's released.

>image

quote-you-re-dead-if-you-aim-only-for-kids-adults-are-only-kids-grown-up-anyway-walt-disney-51435.jpg.3273b2178c7432766e3d6cb29994e0c0.jpg

Sure the primary Audience may still be little kids, but if you TRULY want to make the big money, like movies like despicable me, toy story and Frozen raked in, you need to hit it with adults, and Hasbro KNOWS that they have a thriving (if small) audience of adults for the series.

There's a reason they've had stuff aimed at adults in the past (the various blindbag stuff or the fan series GOH statuettes), and that's because while the adult fandom for their series is SMALL, we have much, MUCH more disposable income than little kids and are willing to blow it on things that they could never sell to kids (look at the high priced transformers toys they sell to their adult fans for example. As an example of how aiming for both adults and kids is the best way, the EQG minis have been such a smashing success because BOTH little girls and adult fans like to buy them, compared to how adults hated the normal EQG toys with a passion).

I will freely admit that we're not the main target, but to deny the pull and sway we have on their bottom line is foolish-- I wouldn't be surprised if adults made up 20% or so of their total sales.

• Brohoof 1