Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions on/got any tattoos or piercings?

Onylex

Hello there, I'm not really sure how to introduce or start this topic scene I haven't made real thread that doesn't have to do with art in so long. I guess I won't really beat around the bush and just flat out ask my question(s).

I was wandering how you guys feel about tattoo's and piercings.

Do you like or dislike them?

Do currently you have any?

Are you planning to get any?

How do you feel about them when you see them on others?

Does it depend on the type of person as to whether or not, you think they are suitable? 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I personally have both of my ears pierced as well as my bottom left lip. I do not currently have any tattoo's but, plan on getting an entire sleeve done for my right arm as soon as I have created enough of my own meaning full artwork to do so.

I feel that both have become more of an expressionistic thing rather than a "so and so has tattoos and piercings because they are a delinquent and or, criminal". I also feel as long as you are not obsessed or overboard with it you'll stand within a realm of "normalcy".

Thanks in advanced. :grin:

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, BronyNumber42 said:

I don't like them. I think if you like a design then you can wear a shirt. Because you can change your shirt. Why would some picture on your body forever?

Well, to entertain this thought with a thin layer of philosophy. (if you will)

I actually think it has to do with people wanting to look different from the average Joe. I mean sure you can put on a shirt and call it a day but, unless your shirt is a single custom design that you have multiples of or, one you wear everyday; anyone else can throw on that same shirt therefore bringing them closer to your identity as far as aesthetics go.

I think deep down humans as a whole are aware of the idea that in general we all look pretty similar to each other thus, we have a tendency in creating a brake away from that similarity as much as we can. 

This may even be linked to something such as tribal aesthetics. Face paint, body paint, scaring, piercings, tattoos etc. 

Moreover, there is also the argument of getting the same tattoo/piercing as another person but, the underlining ideal of it is to look different through other visual/physical expression. (Or in other words, going a step beyond a T-shirt with a cool looking design on it)  :grin:

(edited)

But now you are different if you don't have a tattoo. It's probably cheaper to make some custom shirts than to get a tattoo. How about some jewelry? I just don't see the appeal in making a permanent decision like that. I would rather be able to change how I look if I want with different clothes, rings, necklace, watch, etc. With a tattoo it's like, "well, now I have this symbol on my arm forever." Are you going to be happy with it in 20 years?

Edited by BronyNumber42

(edited)

I don't have tattoos or piercings of any kind. I don't even have pierced ears (I wear clip-on earrings). I don't think I would ever get a tattoo because once it becomes a permanent part of me and I could never change it. And no matter how much I may love something now, my tastes and interests may easily change over the years. I don't want to be stuck with something I can't get rid of once I no longer care about it. If I was absolutely determined to make my body into a canvas for art, I'd get a temporary tattoo. They make extremely realistic ones nowadays and it would give the same impression as the real deal while still affording me the opportunity to change or remove it. No one would know it was fake except me.   

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I like some of them. 

Never had a tattoo, though I always wanted one. Not sure if I could take being poked with a needle repeatedly until it's finished.

I used to have my ears and tongue pierced. My ears got pierced as a baby, but they would get swollen and red as a kid so I kept them out.

Getting my tongue pierced hurt like hell and a bad case of strep throat made me not want to keep the barbell in my mouth so that closed up. I looked rad though haha!

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

How about some jewelry?

The majority of piercings are jewelry silly. ^_^

Are you going to be happy with it in 20 years

Yes ^ precisely.

This is why it makes you critically and radically different from those around you whom don't get tattoos.

To make the decision/statement through action - as if to say: "I have a want to be so different from the norm that I would permanently modify myself".

I do art for a living, so this type of thing for me would be a way of displaying both my difference form those around me and my passion projected into a lifestyle. 

• Brohoof 1

I think tattoos can be cool. I don't care for piercings, but I don't have anything bad to say about them (aside from the standard "layering your face in metal will scare me away"). I do not have any bodily modifications, but I'm drawing up a couple ideas for my 18th birthday, because I do plan to get one.

• Brohoof 1

Do you like or dislike them? It depends. I think one or two tattoos can be really nice. I'd like to get a piece done on my upper shoulder of my Chihuahua with pawprints of my other dogs names. However, I think being covered in tattoos is ugly. A piercing or two is not bad but again too many is not cool.

Do currently you have any? No

Are you planning to get any? A tattoo in the future

How do you feel about them when you see them on others? I mostly ignore it unless it's something really hateful

Does it depend on the type of person as to whether or not, you think they are suitable? Depending on what you get I'm okay with anyone having one, just chose your tattoo carefully.

• Brohoof 1

I have no piercings or tattoos. I don't want to ruin my skin and I don't want to poke holes in my skin. At the most I will have a ring or necklace, but nothing that pokes me or stains my skin.  I don't really like tattoos very much but I don't care if someone has them. They look pretty but I don't want to have them on me and stand out. The same goes with piercings; you tend to stand out among everyone, and I don't want that. So no piercings or tattoos for me. 

3 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I don't have tattoos or piercings of any kind. I don't even have pierced ears (I wear clip-on earrings).

Oh my gosh, same here, minus the clip-on earrings! I find it annoying when people think it's weird that I'm a female who doesn't have her ears pierced. To be honest, I'm just not used to wearing jewelry that often. That could change in the future, but for the time being, I'm perfectly content as is. :proud: 

I also don't have tattoos, but love to look at equine and dragon designs. I don't think I'll get a real ink one (I am an absolute wimp when it comes to needles!), though it's fun to wear temporary tattoos from time to time for fun, especially when there's a unicorn option available! 

Some piercings/tattoos are more aesthetically pleasing than others, though I think that everyone is entitled to their own choices. 

• Brohoof 2

I don't have any tattoos or ear piercings and I have no intention of getting either of these during the course of my life. I personally don't see the point in having them other than wanting to be part of some kind of "in-crowd" but I've no problem with anyone who has one or both.

I am definitely never getting either.

But I have to admit some of them actually look pretty cool, except when someone gets a piercing in a place that I find pretty weird.

It's understandable as to why this may interest those seeking to consolidate an identity, significance, memory, event or any other form of idea.

Personally, there's no point to identify myself with anything that doesn't change. I see the beauty in the potentiality of a white canvas, the meaning in nothingness. So I wouldn't adopt an idea that hinders the availability of said freedom.

As to piercings, they serve no practical purpose.

I'm planning to get one! It's going to be Lion King themed and I roughly know what's it going to look like but I'm still not sure where on my body I'd like it! I was thinking about a bracelet-like one on my forehand or maybe a small tattoo under the collar bone?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't have any tattoos, mostly because my parents say I'm too young. (And I am tbh) I'm planning on getting one when I'm older and more mature xD. But I do have both my ears pierced, but I only wear really small ear rings, because I'm not really a "jewelry" person lol. Those big flashy ear rings are too much for me xD. But besides that, I have no other piercings.

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Oh man not for me. Just the thought of experiencing either one makes me a tad uncomfortable. I'm very happy with my body as it is so I wouldn't want to make any alterations even if they were painless.

Even though I'm not a fan of how they look, I would never judge a person's character based on whether they did or didn't have/want a tattoo or piercing. It's really just a personal preference matter and no one should feel obligated to conform to societal norms.

(edited)

I believe both can be quite tasteful, although I myself prefer less over more aesthetically! I've never been a fan of when someone's entire body/face/whatever is basically just a large tattoo, and I've seen and known quite a few people to regret tattoos over time. A chap I know just got one removed following a nasty divorce. That said, people will do what they want to.

I also know that some tattoos don't age well if people gain or lose weight or simply get saggier with age, so I believe that if someone takes all this into account and still wants to ink themselves, more power to em! At one point, I wanted a small tattoo for years. After a decade, I couldn't care less, and am not affected by the fact I didn't get it.

I have both ears pierced, and a cartiledge piercing as well. Boy, the latter hurt like a muther! but it looks cool to me and is exactly what I wanted, which is why I got it. I personally wouldn't mind getting the other done, but oh man. 10/10 full discretion not sure if I want to go through that again, it took over a year for it to become desensitized enough for me to not whimper and cringe whenever I accidentally bumped it. I'm totally fine with just having the one as well, which is something I made sure of before getting the one pierced. :orly: I usually just wear the shiny stuff on my nights out :) One thing I do like about piercings is that if you take them out (barring large gauges, of course) its very hard for anyone to tell whether you're pierced or not!

Edited by Meeps

(edited)

While I do slightly dislike piercings since they just feel like unnecessary obstructions, especially when on your nose or tongue and such, I view tattoos as a nice way to show off a piece of who you are, or perhaps remember something forever. Sure, they're an easy way to ruin you if you happen to make a mistake like tattoo the name of a former lover on yourself, but if you're secure about it, then I don't see why not :catface:

Edited by Lord Bradley

I like tattoos, so long as they're tasteful.  I actually would like to get my own one day, one arm dedicated to nature themed tats and the other with more nerdy tats.  I think I'll move to my chest area after I get top surgery.  Honestly, I don't know where to start, there's so many tats that I want to get!  I've also considered getting elf ear mods done at some point but I'm still considering that, besides, it's probably expensive.  I remember that my mom used to think tattoos were dirty and gross but I think they can be beautiful, when done properly.  I don't want to get any piercings though, I've always been paranoid about getting into a fight and someone ripping them off, I don't know why I have that concern I always have though.

• Brohoof 1

Wow, am I the first one in this thread to have tattoos? That is surprising. I don't mind them at all, but am not into piercings on myself personally.

I actually plan to have a couple more pieces done, all based on mythologies I am fascinated with.