Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Can you speak/understand/spell another language besides English?

The Equestrian Brony

My native language is Serbian :)

Које језике ви знате?/Koje jezike vi znate?/What languages do you know?

(Serbian Cyrillic/Serbian Latin/English)

I have a begginer knowledge of French (5-8 grade of primary school), and solid English :)

And I want to learn Armenian :) (P.S Any Armenian speakers here?)

• Brohoof 1

I'm decent at Japanese, although I'm still a little rusty with Kanji. I was able to get that first sentence translated on my own. The other two I had to go look at some notes and do a little bit of looking up.

Quick question: what translator are you using? I know for a fact google translate doesn't work well with Japanese, but that was spot on.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
46 minutes ago, ShadowDash13 said:

I'm decent at Japanese, although I'm still a little rusty with Kanji. I was able to get that first sentence translated on my own. The other two I had to go look at some notes and do a little bit of looking up.

Quick question: what translator are you using? I know for a fact google translate doesn't work well with Japanese, but that was spot on.

Well, I'm using Google Chrome. It's an extension that I downloaded. Here's the link. It's very good. It does very good with any language. You should use it. It's called IM Translator. It does better than Google Translate by a hack of a lot more. lol

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imtranslator-translator-d/noaijdpnepcgjemiklgfkcfbkokogabh?hl=en-US

Edited by The Equestrian Brony

1 minute ago, ShadowDash13 said:

Yeah, that extension looks great. I'll definitely be recommending that to my teacher for our class.

lol. You looked at it? You should download it. It will really help you out with your Japanese. I used it when I had French class in high school lol I got 100% on everything when I didn't know what to do. It really helped me out. It will help you out too. 

• Brohoof 2

I studied Latin for several years and enjoy translating text (albeit, I'm a bit rusty now!). I took a couple of years of Spanish as well, though I am nowhere near fluent. :P

• Brohoof 1

I speak, write and read fluently in English (duh), French and Russian. I can understand a bit of Spanish and Italian due to their similarity to French, and similarly, understand the general idea of some Ukranian sentences. I also understand some random german words. And I don't think programming languages count so I will not list them. I can write in Gallifreyan, does it count? xd

I learned Spanish at a basic level during school so it's probably the language I understand the most but I can't speak it very well, I'm definitely better at listening to it. I also learned French a lot during school so I know a few words here and there. I'd kinda like to learn Dutch though because I really like the Netherlands and wouldn't mind living there one day.

• Brohoof 1

I learned Spanish first,since I've been living in a Mexican Household my whole life.Then I've already took 2 years of Language at school which was French.I can basically Speak/Understand/and Spell both Spanish and French.

English is my native language but other than English, I understand and can write a good part of Spanish. I grew up in New Mexico and I have taken Spanish in school and online through Duo Lingo. I can understand some Japanese but can't write it at all. I learned through online programs and anime.

Wow, there are a lot of learned ponies here! Most impressive! :sunbutt:

I used to be okay with a little bit of German, but I've lost most of the ability since my computer mic doesn't work and I can no longer train on Rosetta Stone. :pout:

• Brohoof 1

I am fluent in the English language but I can understand as well as speak a decent amount of German. My high school required at least two years of a foreign language class and I ended up remembering most of it so I can still execute it to this day.

• Brohoof 1

Fluent in French and English. I used to know some Danish because I lived in Denmark for a bit but I've since forgotten pretty much all of it. If someone were to speak it to me I'd probably understand some of what they're saying but I can't read or speak it at this point.

Lot's of Polish speakers here, we have quite international community! 

• Brohoof 1

My mother tongue is Norwegian. I understand English more than my own language.

Languages I can speak and/or understand, ranking from best to worst:

- English

- Norwegian

- Swedish

- Danish

- Icelandish

- Japanese

Edited by Yakamaru

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick reminder that even though this thread is regarding foreign languages that all posts should be in English; especially considering this rule:

Write in proper, legible English. While we appreciate members from across the globe, please remember that you are on an English-speaking forum run by English-speaking staff. This poses a problem when we cannot moderate content that we cannot read. In some cases foreign language quotes are acceptable though. Our FAQ entry delves into that in more detail. In addition, while we do not require perfect grammar, you should at least try to punctuate, capitalize, space, and spell properly. For example, taking a few moments to proofread that you have capitalized an 'i' goes a long way with us.

If you do post in a foreign language; please beside to post a translation with it. Otherwise; please refer to the rule above. Thanks. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Because of me watching Anime whenever I'm not playing dark souls I can understand the spoken language of Japanese, but cannot read or write it, nor can I speak it. I just know whats being said.