AlicornSpell

movies/tv Do you think a Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon made by Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust would be good?

Recommended Posts

I honestly think if Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust did make a Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon, I think the cartoon would be great and would win lots of awards. I could so see Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust making a Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon.

I personally think the 60s and the 80s and the current Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons is not that good. I'm not saying they're terrible, but they are pretty average.

Also I could so see Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust bringing a lot more new ideas to the table and doing much more world building in a new series than the ones that the original creators did in the other cartoons. Let's just face it, the world building in the original cartoons were not that good.

I still like The Chipettes, but they were essentially rip offs of the original Chipmunks. So I would love to see much more original chipmunk and other anthropomorphic animal characters in a new series than the ones shown in the other cartoons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiya, @AlicornSpell! Moving this over to Media Discussion since you are discussing a cartoon. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

31 minutes ago, Lady Kiriness said:

Hiya, @AlicornSpell! Moving this over to Media Discussion since you are discussing a cartoon. :) 

Ok, thank you.

Edited by AlicornSpell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No thanks. I hate that style of cartoon, its flat, samey, deformed and dull. Plus my mom playing the Chipmunks Christmas tape in the middle of summer has created in me, a pure hatred of all things Chipmunk (and most Christmas songs) The bland CGI movies did not help. It's a pity, I used to be okay with them.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:24 PM, Leave a Whisper said:

No thanks. I hate that style of cartoon, its flat, samey, deformed and dull. Plus my mom playing the Chipmunks Christmas tape in the middle of summer has created in me, a pure hatred of all things Chipmunk (and most Christmas songs) The bland CGI movies did not help. It's a pity, I used to be okay with them.

Yeah, I have to admit that all the Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons were pretty average and the live action movies were pretty bad. The cartoon movie "The Chipmunk Adventure" was however pretty good despite the fact that the storyline in the movie wasn't that good. However I still think that a Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon made by Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust would be a good cartoon, since Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust are very talented. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After those atrocious movies, nothing can save this franchise now

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:24 PM, Leave a Whisper said:

No thanks. I hate that style of cartoon, its flat, samey, deformed and dull. Plus my mom playing the Chipmunks Christmas tape in the middle of summer has created in me, a pure hatred of all things Chipmunk (and most Christmas songs) The bland CGI movies did not help. It's a pity, I used to be okay with them.

And also the straight-to-video movies "Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstein" and "Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman" were pretty good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe. They would both have to do something unique with it to be anything good. I never really liked Alvin and the chipmunks mostly because of their voices and bland personalities.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda like the 80's cartoon, but I don't see why this would need to happen.

The franchise doesn't really seem like something that needs to continue.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

Yeah, I have to admit that all the Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons were pretty average and the live action movies were pretty bad. The cartoon movie "The Chipmunk Adventure" was however pretty good despite the fact that the storyline in the movie wasn't that good. However I still think that a Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon made by Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust would be a good cartoon, since Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust are very talented. 

I was talking about McCracken and Faust's style. I hate the hyper, chibi deformed, flat look of CN and Nick cartoons around that era. I didn't like the original Chipmunks cartoon either and thought the 80s one was so-so.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no no. that is one to leave in the 80s for good.... no matter how hard animation studios try and bring them back in ugly CG movie form >.<

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, StormBlaze said:

no no. that is one to leave in the 80s for good.... no matter how hard animation studios try and bring them back in ugly CG movie form >.<

 

Yeah, the Chipmunk franchise has been very terrible since the 80s, and it was never even that good in the 80s or 60s to be begin with. Also it could be very possible that Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust don't even like Alvin and the Chipmunks, since they never mention Alvin and the Chipmunks in their interviews or on their Twitter and DeviantArt account. Like an example would be that Lauren Faust never mentions Alvin and the Chipmunks, while she mentions other cartoons she grew up with in this interview: 

So Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust probably wouldn't want to work on a Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon even if they had the chance to.

Edited by AlicornSpell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen the 60s or 80s series, but I've seen a few episodes of the newer one and I kinda liked it. As for Craig and Lauren making one, I'd give it a shot, but honestly, I (and possibly them as well) am more interested in what they're actually doing now (Craig is making a new pilot for Disney and Lauren is making a DC Superhero Girls TV series).

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, this doesn't even seem like the sort of thing they'd do.

Edited by PinkiePie97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I think alvin and the chipmunks is a horrible excuse for entertainment and I would sooner shower with a bear than watch it.

Translation: It's not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, PinkiePie97 said:

I haven't seen the 60s or 80s series, but I've seen a few episodes of the newer one and I kinda liked it. As for Craig and Lauren making one, I'd give it a shot, but honestly, I (and possibly them as well) am more interested in what they're actually doing now (Craig is making a new pilot for Disney and Lauren is making a DC Superhero Girls TV series).

Honestly I really dislike the new Nickelodeon Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon that started airing in 2015. The character designs in the 2015 Nickelodeon cartoon are god awful and they are very creepy. Also the storylines in the 2015 Nickelodeon cartoon are very unoriginal and uncreative. Most of the storylines in the 2015 Nickelodeon cartoon have been done numerous times in other cartoons, and they have been done way better in other cartoons than they have in this Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the premise of the shows they've already made, yeah im sure they can make a good show even out of the chipmunks considering how popular the cartoon was in the past anyway.

That being said this is all prefaced with the idea that they continue to direct the show and not leave for other projects halfway and then the executives decide to go their own direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SONICchaos said:

Considering the premise of the shows they've already made, yeah im sure they can make a good show even out of the chipmunks considering how popular the cartoon was in the past anyway.

That being said this is all prefaced with the idea that they continue to direct the show and not leave for other projects halfway and then the executives decide to go their own direction.

The Chipmunks may have been very popular in the past, but that is because of their music and not because of their cartoons. The Chipmunks were never popular because their cartoons were very good (in which they weren't). None of the Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons were revolutionary one bit, while many other old cartoons (like "The Flintstones" or "Scooby-Doo") were.

Also what do you Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust's cartoons were good considering the premise of them? I thought the premise of all their cartoons were very interesting and unique, unlike any of the Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons were.

I do think that Craig McCracken and Lauren Faust could make a very good Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon with a very interesting and unique premise that could be very revolutionary like how their other cartoons were. But they would have to want to make a Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon in order for it to be good, in which unfortunately they probably wouldn't, since they probably don't care about the Alvin and the Chipmunks franchise at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2017 at 4:55 PM, AlicornSpell said:

The Chipmunks may have been very popular in the past, but that is because of their music and not because of their cartoons. The Chipmunks were never popular because their cartoons were very good (in which they weren't). None of the Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons were revolutionary one bit, while many other old cartoons (like "The Flintstones" or "Scooby-Doo") were.

Maybe the cartoons were not popular statistically but DAMN if everyone I know hasnt seen and liked the chipmunks movie in their childhood which was an extension of the cartoon.

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, SONICchaos said:

Maybe the cartoons were not popular statistically but DAMN if everyone I know hasnt seen and liked the chipmunks movie in their childhood which was an extension of the cartoon.

  Hide contents

 

 

"The Chipmunk Adventure" may be a likable movie, but the storyline and the plot in the movie was not very original and good. The Chipmunk Adventure (like the original 80s series that it's based off of) had nostalgia greatly benefiting it. 

When The Chipmunk Adventure was in movie theaters, it was a huge box office bomb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

"The Chipmunk Adventure" may be a likable movie, but the storyline and the plot in the movie was not very original and good. The Chipmunk Adventure (like the original 80s series that it's based off of) had nostalgia greatly benefiting it. 

When The Chipmunk Adventure was in movie theaters, it was a huge box office bomb.

Exact same could be said of MLP but that didnt seem to stop people from liking it.

Being unoriginal or having poor plot doesnt really stop shows from making it big ya know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, SONICchaos said:

Exact same could be said of MLP but that didnt seem to stop people from liking it.

Being unoriginal or having poor plot doesnt really stop shows from making it big ya know.

Yeah, I know that. But a show having unoriginal and poorly written stories and plots does make it more unlikely for it to make it big than a show with original and well written stories and plots. 

 

Most of the stories and plots in "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" are original and well written. That's one of the reasons why "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" become so big and popular as it is. 

Edited by AlicornSpell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/21/2017 at 8:46 PM, AlicornSpell said:

Most of the stories and plots in "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" are original and well written. That's one of the reasons why "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" become so big and popular as it is. 

Unsure if we watched the same show. The stories and plots while interesting and better written are wholly unoriginal.

Most of the episodes I remember seeing revolve around characters having misunderstandings, they dont communicate their real thoughts, get all sulky and upset and it ends in a conclusion with them finding out each others real thoughts when just talking to each other in the beginning would have fixed everything. Or a character learning the same lesson from a previous episode just in a different context, on top of said characters often forgetting and acting against that lesson in later episodes. That and characters doing something unnecessarily stupid in the beginning of the episode and not something real people would do which then leads to a chain reaction of comedic events where that character finally understands how they screwed up and is able to unscrew it up with a happy ending perfectly in 22 minutes.

Most of the characters are super archetypes I've seen before. A nerd. A brash headstrong character who means well. A prissy social elitist. An introverted who remains quiet with not expressing their feelings much. A hyperactive "pixie" with "lol random" memes.

Villains including dark evil halves. Unexplained overpowered Aladdin-esc genie character with pop culture powers. The biggest baddest villains you ever seen that get rocked in two episodes. As well as all the main character clones posed as "what if" scenarios.

I've seen these. They're called tropes. Almost all stories use these in some fashion but the "good" ones hide them well. When you have characters often breaking the 4th wall by even making fun of their tropes, you are no longer trying to hide them.

Dont get me wrong I like the show and think it was better written and took its audience more seriously than other kids shows but when I see "original" I feel like I watched a different show than FiM

Edited by SONICchaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost all of time I believe that TV shows that piggyback off of the popularity of previous content are very uncreative, unless they are totally revamped with brand new story, characters and the like. MLP kind of piggybacked a bit, but as I said earlier, it had total overhaul to pretty much everything except for the name. However this isn't to say that a TV show the OP is talking about won't be good, it just needs to be executed properly. Besides, after four movies and an animated series that already exists it seems like a creative idea like alvin and the chipmunks is milked dry. At this point I think that companies ought to move on from that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 3:56 PM, SONICchaos said:

Unsure if we watched the same show. The stories and plots while interesting and better written are wholly unoriginal.

Most of the episodes I remember seeing revolve around characters having misunderstandings, they dont communicate their real thoughts, get all sulky and upset and it ends in a conclusion with them finding out each others real thoughts when just talking to each other in the beginning would have fixed everything. Or a character learning the same lesson from a previous episode just in a different context, on top of said characters often forgetting and acting against that lesson in later episodes. That and characters doing something unnecessarily stupid in the beginning of the episode and not something real people would do which then leads to a chain reaction of comedic events where that character finally understands how they screwed up and is able to unscrew it up with a happy ending perfectly in 22 minutes.

Most of the characters are super archetypes I've seen before. A nerd. A brash headstrong character who means well. A prissy social elitist. An introverted who remains quiet with not expressing their feelings much. A hyperactive "pixie" with "lol random" memes.

Villains including dark evil halves. Unexplained overpowered Aladdin-esc genie character with pop culture powers. The biggest baddest villains you ever seen that get rocked in two episodes. As well as all the main character clones posed as "what if" scenarios.

I've seen these. They're called tropes. Almost all stories use these in some fashion but the "good" ones hide them well. When you have characters often breaking the 4th wall by even making fun of their tropes, you are no longer trying to hide them.

Dont get me wrong I like the show and think it was better written and took its audience more seriously than other kids shows but when I see "original" I feel like I watched a different show than FiM

I guess many of the stories and plots in "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" are somewhat unoriginal, but are however executed very well that they feel original and very well written and give a totally different experience every episode. However most of the stories and plots in all the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" cartoons were never really executed that well. So that's probably why many people (including me) never cared much about Alvin and the Chipmunks. I mean go and read the story and plot of this episode titled "Big Dreams" here http://alvin.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Dreams  that is from the 80s cartoon. The ending of that episode made the whole episode nonsensical. 

I do however agree about the characters from "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" having archetype personalities that have been seen before, but however more personality traits are put into them to make them more feel unique, unlike any of the characters from the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" cartoons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:56 PM, Cybestry said:

Almost all of time I believe that TV shows that piggyback off of the popularity of previous content are very uncreative, unless they are totally revamped with brand new story, characters and the like. MLP kind of piggybacked a bit, but as I said earlier, it had total overhaul to pretty much everything except for the name. However this isn't to say that a TV show the OP is talking about won't be good, it just needs to be executed properly. Besides, after four movies and an animated series that already exists it seems like a creative idea like alvin and the chipmunks is milked dry. At this point I think that companies ought to move on from that.

Yeah, I agree. When they do a reboot of a show, they should create a completely new world with new characters added in, and a completely new story. The new "Alvin and the Chipmunks" cartoon on Nickelodeon is basically the same thing as the 80s cartoon, and that's probably why a lot of people don't like it. 

Another perfect example besides "My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic" is the "Super Secret Secret Squirrel" shorts that used to air in the middle of the cartoon "2 Stupid Dogs". The Super Secret Secret Squirrel shorts was a reboot of a cartoon simply titled "Secret Squirrel" that used to air in the 1960s. The Super Secret Secret Squirrel shorts is very different from the Secret Squirrel cartoon in the 60s in terms of it being a completely different world with different characters and a somewhat different storyline and plot, and everyone loved the Super Secret Secret Squirrel shorts more than the 1960s Secret Squirrel cartoon. 

 

So if they would want to make a good Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoon that is better than the other Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons, then they would have to make it very different from the other cartoons.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.