Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

4 New Shorts + Music Video on 7/30/17

Toon4Thought

(edited)

A pair of considerations: 

1)While not bad, I feel Boulder Media's animation feels a bit... off, compared to the ordinary one.

2)Why the TVY7 rating?

Aside that, yay! It was fun! And.... better than the previous specials (except Dance Magic that one was awesome)

Also a little personal note: I'd rather prefer EG going on with this scheme, instead of movies or even 22 minutes specials. I have never been a fan of EG outside of the shorts (pretty much the only thing aside those is Dance Magic). I feel shorts works much better for this spin off. I had the same feeling years ago with RR and FG's shorts, and after watching this I think this would be the better scheme to pull on the spin off.

Edited by Sly

3 minutes ago, Sly said:

A pair of considerations: 

1)While not bad, I feel Boulder Media's animation feels a bit... off, compared to the ordinary one.

2)Why the TVY7 rating?

Aside that, yay! It was fun! And.... better than the previous specials (except Dance Magic that one was awesome)

I actually thought it was a bit more fluid, Raise The Roof was noticeably better than the usual EQG animation. As for the TV Y7 ratings, I'm just hoping that means they're willing to do more mature things with the series. Overall I thought these were great, Raise The Roof was definitely my favorite 

• Brohoof 3

15 minutes ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

I actually thought it was a bit more fluid, Raise The Roof was noticeably better than the usual EQG animation. As for the TV Y7 ratings, I'm just hoping that means they're willing to do more mature things with the series. Overall I thought these were great, Raise The Roof was definitely my favorite 

Oh yeah! About that one, correct me if I'm wrong: was that short the very first EG production in which the CMCs (or at least two of them) had a proper centric role?

14 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

There are still missing shorts :huh: . All of these where during the Fall Formal. I wonder when they'll release the rest

Well, this was called a "first look" at Summertime Shorts, so I can only assume the rest will be released not too much longer. The way they worded it also implied it's a sneak peek of a future release, possibly on YouTube.

• Brohoof 1

After watching all four shorts plus the song, I really enjoyed the song especially the effects that were used to make it stand out as something amazing. The four other shorts though were weird mainly because DHX didn't animate them but rather it was a company that has origins in Ireland. Also, I suspect the other shorts occur during the events of the first movie since it focused on the Fall Formal and elements from the movie were present in each.

VERY unimpressed. These felt horrifically phoned in and slapdash. Absolutely a drop in quality; I actually found the Equestria girls MINIS shorts to be better than this, as at least there was a few good visual gags in this.
This just felt soulless and like a bad attempt to use fan service of FIM stuff to get by (Hey, remember the pony tones?! Or Photo finish?! or Fluttershy's yay?!), without any real creativity here. Additionally, the music video was easily the worst song yet, which is sad as music is usually a big saving grace of the EQG world; the video doesn't even make any SENSE, as its just this random event of twilight making a Robot dog friend for spike while Fantasizing about Timber with giant hearts in her eyes--- the other videos usually had a plot of some kind that made sense behind them.

Now, I WILL say I do think the animation is actually better than normal; felt a little more fluid and well colored/shaded than normal, so I do hope they stick with this animation studio, as I do think its a step up. But a marginal increase in Video quality without any substance behind it is really not much.

18 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

There are still missing shorts :huh: . All of these where during the Fall Formal. I wonder when they'll release the rest

Yeah, pinkie at the diner and the daring do one still aren't out. Plus there's that music video of the mane six and Big mac fixing up that Van with their super powers.

19 hours ago, Sly said:

2)Why the TVY7 rating?

BOOBIES :P

No, yeah, Confused about that myself.

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, Whompy Whomperson said:

To be honest I kinda had a feeling we had a different studio animate the shorts just for the dance sequences in Raise the Roof, as I highly doubt that level of fluidity could have been done in flash.

And I actually would kinda want to see an EQG tv/Netflix series be animated in the style, given if it can be tweaked a bit as there were a few awkward moments in it.

Also I found the TV Y7 rating to be pretty strange as the shorts didn't feel any different than the rated TVY we get from FiM or the other EQG media, but if we do get a Tv or Netflix series, I would hope that it actually would keep that rating so the writers would be able to handle more mature topics.

Personally my favorites of the shorts were A Photo Booth Story and Mad Twience. 

2 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

To be honest I kinda had a feeling we had a different studio animate the shorts just for the dance sequences in Raise the Roof, as I highly doubt that level of fluidity could have been done in flash.

And I actually would kinda want to see an EQG tv/Netflix series be animated in the style, given if it can be tweaked a bit as there were a few awkward moments in it.

Also I found the TV Y7 rating to be pretty strange as the shorts didn't feel any different than the rated TVY we get from FiM or the other EQG media, but if we do get a Tv or Netflix series, I would hope that it actually would keep that rating so the writers would be able to handle more mature topics.

Personally my favorites of the shorts were A Photo Booth Story and Mad Twience. 

thinking about it, its possible the shorts as a group got rated, and a future short or special might have gotten it bumped up? (like for a series as a whole rating?)

Yikes. 

These are all too insubstantial to really critique or give a rating to, and unlike the shorts for Friendship Games, they're not particularly distinct from each other. Couldn't quite tell what the point of half of them was, as they were all basically just tiny plotless vignettes of a single thing that happened. Can't say I found most of them all that funny; "Raise the Roof" was kinda neat because of the whole dance competition angle, but it still felt sorta empty, and I got a chuckle or two out of the others, but mostly they felt kinda lazy. Was pretty weird to be all the way back to the events of the first few movies, and since all of these seem to begin in media res, they felt rushed and sorta unsatisfying. 

Basically, the only thing of note here is the animation, and I found it kind of a mixed bag. In general, it seems that character movement is quite fluid, but the colours are off and the lip flaps sometimes don't even sync up with the dialogue. You can sort of tell these were made on the cheap, and the character models often look rough around the edges, often standing around with weird, limp noodle-arms and heads which seem just slightly off in shape. 

"Mad Twience" looked better, but I had absolutely no idea what was going on in it. I think it might have been meant as more of a music video than a narrative short, but I found the song kinda annoying and was very distracted by trying to figure out how the imagery was supposed to tie together. Just really weird. 

These kinda feel like Hasbro sacrificing quality for quantity, and they just add to my confusion about exactly what they're trying to do with this series. I know MLP is basically a glorified toy commercial, but these are what people who know nothing about Equestria Girls assume it's like, and I'm finding that genuinely distressing. I don't want to watch any more shorts like this. 

I'll say this, though: the rubbery limbs seen in these do allow for a little more mobility than the long, jointed limbs seen in all other Equestria Girls media. They look terrible, but they're probably more versatile. 

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I don't think it'll go beyond the occasional bikini fanservice though :dash: 

1 minute ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

>BEACH EPISODE

hellyeah.jpeg

Prepare to be cockblocked and watch them be Hawaiian/Tourist dressed :P

Anyway the beach line already doesn't include RD or Rarity so it sucks automatically

(edited)
2 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

Looks like we just found out what the most popular of the shorts will be.

It might not even be a short, at least not in the Summertime pack (irony). It could easily correlate to a scene in a fifth TV movie or even a series (which I still think is by far the best route for EqG to take at this point), since the minis relevant to the current shorts were revealed 5-6 months ago.

That being said... yeah, even though they very obviously won't do anything too revealing, it's still pretty safe to say some people will go wild over this.

Edited by Toon4Thought

On 7/31/2017 at 3:04 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

VERY unimpressed. These felt horrifically phoned in and slapdash. Absolutely a drop in quality; I actually found the Equestria girls MINIS shorts to be better than this, as at least there was a few good visual gags in this.
This just felt soulless and like a bad attempt to use fan service of FIM stuff to get by (Hey, remember the pony tones?! Or Photo finish?! or Fluttershy's yay?!), without any real creativity here. Additionally, the music video was easily the worst song yet, which is sad as music is usually a big saving grace of the EQG world; the video doesn't even make any SENSE, as its just this random event of twilight making a Robot dog friend for spike while Fantasizing about Timber with giant hearts in her eyes--- the other videos usually had a plot of some kind that made sense behind them.

Now, I WILL say I do think the animation is actually better than normal; felt a little more fluid and well colored/shaded than normal, so I do hope they stick with this animation studio, as I do think its a step up. But a marginal increase in Video quality without any substance behind it is really not much.

Yep, the shorts felt like out takes from EQG1 instead of their own stories, and while I still think "Big Night" is a worse song, the music video was just confusing. Not gonna get my hopes up for any more of these shorts. Oh well.

Edited by ShootingStar159

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Very enthusiastic, I see. 

Well, I was in a slightly grouchy mood earlier when I wrote that, so... lol.

But, I still stand by that in I really don't care either way. Not that I would have any problem with it (why would I?) but it would just be the same to me as any other.

Went back and edited that part out, though, cuz my own negativity bugs me. Lol.

Edited by Chrylestia600

8 hours ago, Chrylestia600 said:

Disappointed to hear that Sunset wasn't involved in any of these. :okiedokieloki:

Yeah, that was real bummer that we didn't get to see any "Sunset's" during the "Summer shorts". :(

• Brohoof 1