Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Vegetarian, Vegan, Pescetarian?

Meeps

Just now, Total Lunar Eclipse said:

My challenge to vegetarianism/veganism as part of animal rights is that, if humans and animals are equal, why is it okay for animals to eat each other but we can't? Why do we have to separate ourselves from nature? I grew up with in unincorporated community with exposure to vegetarians/vegans as well as small local farms and do it yourselers who don't like big box stores and cooperations controlling their food. Not good for people, animals, or the environment. 

btw I'm in the US. I moved to the south last year and have noticed a difference in meat eating culture. People love meat here. Statistics also show Americans eat a lot of meat, a contributer to health issue sin the country with all the processed junk. 

Yeah I get that. One of my friends says she only eats animals that she feels would eat her if they had the chance, haha. Me personally, I'd rather none of us ate each other, but I don't feel I'm superior for feeling that way, it's gotta be a personal choice and what feels right to you.

• Brohoof 2

On 7/30/2017 at 12:45 PM, Shadowlicious said:

I tried vegetarian for a while because I don't like the inhumane ways they kill animals, but a combination of lack of control of my diet and lack of commitment meant I had to stop. But when I move out on my own, I plan on eating vegetarian at least one month a year. I have a lot of respect for people who can eat like that consistently.

I was also in a similar situation for a while. Nice to see someone to relate to. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

I don't stun personally so I'm not as familiar with that process. What I do takes less than a second. They don't know it's coming and don't have time for fear. They're gone immediately. 

I wish no one ate each other and we ate synthetic meat. One day. It looks like we're going in that direction (they already have it, the technology just isn't good enough yet). 

Edited by Total Lunar Eclipse
  • Brohoof 2

• The topic was locked

All right guys; COOL IT!

1. A back-and-forth is not going to do anyone any good. If you feel you are being personally attacked, DO NOT REPLY! I can't stress that point enough! Report it, move on! Staff will take care of any reports regarding the said incident. A continued stream of replies going on and on about something that two people are just not gonna see eye to eye does no one any favors.

2. Insults, personal attacks, passive-aggressive behavior, and the like aren't welcome here. 

Now; I am going to reopen this, but if I have to lock it again for personal BS I WILL be contacting members personally.

Period.

• Brohoof 4

• The topic was unlocked

I eat a lot of meat but I've started having a salad every morning for breakfast to lose weight, and its working so far. (& no, before you ask the salad isn't free.:P

Edited by CHA0SXIII
  • Brohoof 1

Soooooo...Hey guys! Pssst! I'm a vegetarian :lol:

Honestly, I don't mind whether you eat meat or not. I don't and it's a personal choice. I will happily sit amongst friends who are scoffing beef burgers etc, while I tuck into my falafal or whatever. I won't make comments to them for eating beef, but equally I would hope none of them will make negative remarks to me about being a vegetarian or try to criticise my lifestyle choice or whatever. If someone is curious though, that's fine and I'm happy to discuss it.

Like I always say, it has to be a personal choice. My personal feeling on it is like this fine person:

On 2/8/2018 at 10:22 AM, Br O N Y said:

My reasoning is that I don't wanna kill creatures I can relate to, which are animals that have somewhat similar emotions and behavours like us. Which are cats, dogs, dolphins, cattles, sheeps and so on. I could never kill them myself, and I don't want someone else to do it for me because I'am emotionally too weak to do it.

That's exactly how I feel, but if you don't feel that way then that's cool too :)

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, omgamapwny said:

Soooooo...Hey guys! Pssst! I'm a vegetarian :lol:

Honestly, I don't mind whether you eat meat or not. I don't and it's a personal choice. I will happily sit amongst friends who are scoffing beef burgers etc, while I tuck into my falafal or whatever. I won't make comments to them for eating beef, but equally I would hope none of them will make negative remarks to me about being a vegetarian or try to criticise my lifestyle choice or whatever. If someone is curious though, that's fine and I'm happy to discuss it.

Like I always say, it has to be a personal choice. My personal feeling on it is like this fine person:

That's exactly how I feel, but if you don't feel that way then that's cool too :)

Aw thank you! I'am happy you share my point of view.

• Brohoof 2

Vegetarian, because I love animals way to much to eat my friends <3

And one thought that made an impression to me is also this, predators catch their pray and rips them apart and eat them raw. They get tempted just by seeing prays if they are in hunting mood. Humans rarely eat raw meat, and most of us don´t like to see blood and the killing process. And even if... we must cook, grill or process the meat to be able to eat it.

And one more difference is that predators cant move their jaws sideways, they only moves like a scissor. Prey animals can move their jaws sideways like humans.

That makes me conclude that we are not naturally born predators, and not intended to eat meat.

Anyhow I have the same relation to this that another pony here pointed out. I don´t care if friends near me eat what they want, and I don´t promote to anypony about my choice. I fully understands and accept that each and everypony have their own way of think about this. Real nature in the wild is also very cruel, and what is wrong and what is right ? As long as humans can´t get together and understand each other, why would we understand animal pain and suffer ?

Besides I don´t care about the debate, I´m a Unicorn and we don´t eat meat TS_I_see.jpg.4a8f6a165a4fccb64fa9298fae24b744.jpg

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm at it again now. You can see in this thread I said I was vegan in the past then went back to eating meat. Well, I went vegan again. This time I'm more informed and all. What made me go vegan is mostly that I believe that all animals deserve to live and that we aren't the one who control their lives. Dogs, cats, pigs, cows, chicken, etc. I think they all deserve to live. I learned about all the health benefits about going vegan and compared to eating meat it's much better as meat is known to greatly increase the risk of cancer and heart diseases. So when I know that being vegan is even healthier then it means it's a matter of choice to either kill or not to kill. I choose not to kill as those animals don't deserve to die, they're innocent. So I mainly went vegan for ethical and health reason and I think that there more people who go vegan the better the world will be and the less animals will suffer. I think it's also important to care for their lives. If anyone want to debate that then I'm up for it. 

(edited)

I love meat. I won't lie. It's my favourite food group. The bloodier the better too. 

Now, as a rule, I try to eat as healthy as I can. I do like most vegetables especially asparagus and celery. Fruits are a big thing with me too, love all fruits save for grapefruits and honeydew. But meat... mmmhm...

While I do think inhumane treatment of slaughter animals is deplorable and certainly needs to be overhauled, I don't like when people try to shame me because I eat meat. Humans are omnivores... meat is and always has been on the list of dietary needs for humans. Granted you aren't supposed to overdo it, meat was originally like a once in a while thing, but it's still on an omnivore diet and does serve it's healthy purpose.

I don't care what diet someone has, but the minute someone tries to demonise me for eating meat, I'm done. Like, seriously, it's none of their business and I don't appreciate that treatment.

Edited by Momento Mori

6 minutes ago, Momento Mori said:

I love meat. I won't lie. It's my favourite food group. The bloodier the better too. 

Now, as a rule, I try to eat as healthy as I can. I do like most vegetables especially asparagus and celery. Fruits are a big thing with me too, love all fruits save for grapefruits and honeydew. But meat... mmmhm...

While I do think inhumane treatment of slaughter animals is deplorable and certainly needs to be overhauled, I don't like when people try to shame me because I eat meat. Humans are omnivores... meat is and always has been on the list of dietary needs for humans. Granted you aren't supposed to overdo it, meat was originally like a once in a while thing, but it's still on an omnivore diet and does serve it's healthy purpose.

I don't care what diet someone has, but the minute someone tries to demonise me for eating meat, I'm done. Like, seriously, it's none of their business and I don't appreciate that treatment.

What do you mean by shaming you for eating meat? As for demonizing you well, it depends on how you view it. You know animals are sentient beings and even if they live a happy life, they do not want to die so it's still immoral unless you have a good justification. As for health, it is completely not needed. You can get everything from a plant based diet and there are studies that shows that vegans have lower cancer risk and lower risk in heart diseases. So what is your justification for killing an animal to eat their flesh? Also if you can provide any information that prove that a vegan diet is not healthy then I would like to see it. 

Here is what I found:
Nitrosamines is a strong carcinogen found in cigarettes
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4135519/
But it is also found in meat
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11743810

You can also look at that
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22121108

Here is another study that shows a vegan diet lower cancer risks
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23169929

As for Vitamin B12 we usually take it as a supplement. Vitamin B12 is found in the soil which is where animals get it but our current lifestyle doesn't allow us to get them because we wash our vegetables and also because of how we grow them. You can also get B12 from fortified foods, you don't need to eat meat. 

Anyway, I'm not demonizing you in case you feel this way, but I just want to inform you about it. So the conclusion is that a vegan diet if you're doing it right is even healthier than eating meat. So that makes meat unnecessary. As for humans I wouldn't say they're omnivore, but behavioral omnivores. 

8 minutes ago, rarity2018 said:

What do you mean by shaming you for eating meat? As for demonizing you well, it depends on how you view it. You know animals are sentient beings and even if they live a happy life, they do not want to die so it's still immoral unless you have a good justification. As for health, it is completely not needed. You can get everything from a plant based diet and there are studies that shows that vegans have lower cancer risk and lower risk in heart diseases. So what is your justification for killing an animal to eat their flesh? Also if you can provide any information that prove that a vegan diet is not healthy then I would like to see it. 

Here is what I found:
Nitrosamines is a strong carcinogen found in cigarettes
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4135519/
But it is also found in meat
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11743810

You can also look at that
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22121108

Here is another study that shows a vegan diet lower cancer risks
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23169929

As for Vitamin B12 we usually take it as a supplement. Vitamin B12 is found in the soil which is where animals get it but our current lifestyle doesn't allow us to get them because we wash our vegetables and also because of how we grow them. You can also get B12 from fortified foods, you don't need to eat meat. 

Anyway, I'm not demonizing you in case you feel this way, but I just want to inform you about it. So the conclusion is that a vegan diet if you're doing it right is even healthier than eating meat. So that makes meat unnecessary. As for humans I wouldn't say they're omnivore, but behavioral omnivores. 

This sort of proves my point. The minute I say I like meat, someone has to go into a lengnthy reply of why I shouldn't, or why it's bad for me, and so forth. So you proved my point, not to sound rude.

I don't care what your diet is, or what you choose to do. I eat meat. I like it, it tastes good. I like getting my protein from meat. I choose to eat meat because it's my right to do so. Other's don't agree and that's fine. That's their thing, not mine. So simply put, everyone is different, and I was only answering the question posed by the OP. I never once insulted anyone who didn't agree with me, I only wanted to make clear that I have had, in the past, others who have asked me similar questions and I was met with a rant and hatred. Which I find find absolutely ridiculous, because I never once did such a thing to them. I never look to start fights with this, because as reinforced by you here, you guys are very passionate about this.
It's great you want to inform me, but I never asked. Plus I've seen this all before. I've had Vegan/Vegetarian friends. We just agree to disagree and we leave each other alone about it.
There are perfectly healthy people, like myself who still eat meat, so I'm gonna keep going as I'm going.

It's unnecessary that we eat ice cream, or sugary treats, but we still do. Because we like them. They taste good. They're fun. So I'll keep eating my BBQ, and my Sushi, and my steaks and lamb, and you can keep eating your diet. I won't shame you for that. Ever. I'm glad you found something that works for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Momento Mori said:

It's unnecessary that we eat ice cream, or sugary treats, but we still do. Because we like them. They taste good. They're fun. So I'll keep eating my BBQ, and my Sushi, and my steaks and lamb, and you can keep eating your diet. I won't shame you for that. Ever. I'm glad you found something that works for you, but it doesn't work for everyone.

Well, yeah I understand that but I don't think you can morally justify eating meat just because of the taste. For example if I eat sugary treats I'm not killing anyone, but if I eat a steak I'm killing someone. What if human meat was the most delicious? Would you eat it? This is the difference. Doesn't work for everyone? Have you tried before? Why doesn't it work for you? Also yeah most vegan are concerned about that and for a good reason and they don't want you to go vegan for them, but for the animals. It's just sad that they have to die, they didn't do anything to deserve that. I would understand for a lion for example as they can't survive without meat, but humans can and it's even healthier for them.

This comes down to a set of morals that we will never agree on. Animals eat other animals. Humans are animals. We raise animals for slaughter, and also yes, indeed some cultures of the world still eat human flesh. It's called cannibalism. And why don't I? It's not my moral stance. It's also not my culture. While I may think that eating humans is strange, it's not my job nor my place to condemn them. I am not going to go out of my way to destroy a culture because I don't believe in eating people. 

Now you may think is a sense of moral 'flippancy' but, no, it still works. Another example: In parts of China, they still eat dogs. I like dogs (not as pets, just not my thing, I'm a cat person, but generally, I like dogs.) I see them as useful animals, great for human companionship, police-work, therapy animals, etc.... but it is that culture's thing. Their culture eats dogs, and horses. Now, I do NOT, repeat do, NOT agree with how they TREAT THEM. In fact, I actually donated to a cause to try and get education out to them about how to better treat their animals before slaughter. But I did not advocate AGAINST them eating them. Why? It is not my culture, nor my place to tell them no just because I don't personally agree with eating dogs and/or horses.

It's that simple. Unfortunately I feel that this conversation might turn sour, so I will agree to disagree with you as well. You keep low-key calling me either a murderer or a callous individual because I am not taking into account the feelings of the animals. You want to start spitting hairs, plants are living creatures too in a sense. They may not have a 'brain' or a 'heart' per say but they still grow, and reproduce. But no one points at you and calls you a plant murderer. Now, I also realise how odd and silly that argument is as well because there's no real 100% proof that they 'feel' or that they 'think' or even show some range of emotion. But plants can grow better, or hardly at all depending on how you even speak to them. How they're treated. Plants health can be effected by more than just weather or whether they get watered enough. Countless scientific experiments have been done on the effects of plants in certain situations such as playing certain music around one group, like classical, and heavy metal with the other. Or one that was done some years ago of 'talking' at your plants while gardening, as opposed to saying nothing or even screaming at them. And there was a marked difference. But again I, nor anyone else is going to call you a plant murderer. It's...it's just asinine. 

So in conclusion, I am sorry to rant. I want to let you know I am not angry, nor do I dislike you, nor do I think you are a terrible person. And frankly, even if you think I am---that's fine. I'm sorry you do, but that's your feelings and I apparently can't change that. Not everyone has to like me, that's not a concern of mine. My friends and my husband does, so I'm set.  So all in all, my dear, I hope that you continue to be healthy, and I am glad you have found something that works beautifully for you (and this is not condescension), I truly am glad that out of all the craziness in this world, you've found something that works consistently and positively for you.  But so have I, and while I shall not, and will never condemn you for yours, I would hope that you wouldn't for mine. 

I am starting to think this threat should get locked again, maybe? : (

1 hour ago, Momento Mori said:

This comes down to a set of morals that we will never agree on. Animals eat other animals. Humans are animals. We raise animals for slaughter, and also yes, indeed some cultures of the world still eat human flesh. It's called cannibalism. And why don't I? It's not my moral stance. It's also not my culture. While I may think that eating humans is strange, it's not my job nor my place to condemn them. I am not going to go out of my way to destroy a culture because I don't believe in eating people. 

Now you may think is a sense of moral 'flippancy' but, no, it still works. Another example: In parts of China, they still eat dogs. I like dogs (not as pets, just not my thing, I'm a cat person, but generally, I like dogs.) I see them as useful animals, great for human companionship, police-work, therapy animals, etc.... but it is that culture's thing. Their culture eats dogs, and horses. Now, I do NOT, repeat do, NOT agree with how they TREAT THEM. In fact, I actually donated to a cause to try and get education out to them about how to better treat their animals before slaughter. But I did not advocate AGAINST them eating them. Why? It is not my culture, nor my place to tell them no just because I don't personally agree with eating dogs and/or horses.

It's that simple. Unfortunately I feel that this conversation might turn sour, so I will agree to disagree with you as well. You keep low-key calling me either a murderer or a callous individual because I am not taking into account the feelings of the animals. You want to start spitting hairs, plants are living creatures too in a sense. They may not have a 'brain' or a 'heart' per say but they still grow, and reproduce. But no one points at you and calls you a plant murderer. Now, I also realise how odd and silly that argument is as well because there's no real 100% proof that they 'feel' or that they 'think' or even show some range of emotion. But plants can grow better, or hardly at all depending on how you even speak to them. How they're treated. Plants health can be effected by more than just weather or whether they get watered enough. Countless scientific experiments have been done on the effects of plants in certain situations such as playing certain music around one group, like classical, and heavy metal with the other. Or one that was done some years ago of 'talking' at your plants while gardening, as opposed to saying nothing or even screaming at them. And there was a marked difference. But again I, nor anyone else is going to call you a plant murderer. It's...it's just asinine. 

So in conclusion, I am sorry to rant. I want to let you know I am not angry, nor do I dislike you, nor do I think you are a terrible person. And frankly, even if you think I am---that's fine. I'm sorry you do, but that's your feelings and I apparently can't change that. Not everyone has to like me, that's not a concern of mine. My friends and my husband does, so I'm set.  So all in all, my dear, I hope that you continue to be healthy, and I am glad you have found something that works beautifully for you (and this is not condescension), I truly am glad that out of all the craziness in this world, you've found something that works consistently and positively for you.  But so have I, and while I shall not, and will never condemn you for yours, I would hope that you wouldn't for mine. 

I am starting to think this threat should get locked again, maybe? : (

Well I'm not mad at you or anything and I don't hate you, I don't know why you think I do. I don't think it should get locked. I didn't call you a murderer or anything but you felt like I did somehow so before saying that show me where I called you a murderer. Also there is a difference between plants and animals. Plans are not sentient but animals are and humans are animals too. You know some animals are also cannibals so should humans also be cannibals because it's nature? Of course not. Humans are more intelligent of course but that doesn't justify killing another animals because if it did justify it then it would be okay to kill someone with the IQ of a pig for example. Just put yourself at their place, it's really the worst life anyone could have. If you thought the holocaust was bad well this is an animal holocaust and billions have been killed, billions of innocent animals who want to live. They do have feelings, they're not object. They do feel fear, happiness, sadness, etc. They also have a family that they care about. I don't know if you see the similarity here.  I'm not forcing you to do anything either, I'm only showing you facts and informing you so you can think about it. Just think and ask yourself if what you're doing is really the right thing now that you know all of this. 

(edited)

I am actually going to pretend you didn't just compare this to the actual holocaust and end with this:

I appreciate the information, but I've been through this with my Vegan/Vegetarian friends. I love my meat, you won 't change my mind. I've considered the healthy benefits and the furthest I got was just eating more vegetables because they are good for you. And while I have cut down on my meat consumption, I have not outlawed it altogether, and I won't.  I care about the animals welfare, that's why I choose meat from places that treat their animals well. But anyway, with the utmost respect: thanks, but no thanks. 

EDIT: I feel that came off rather harsh, and I didn't mean it too, tone is hard to tell over text. The last comment was made with a non condescending smile. 

Edited by Momento Mori

(edited)
28 minutes ago, Momento Mori said:

I am actually going to pretend you didn't just compare this to the actual holocaust and end with this:

I appreciate the information, but I've been through this with my Vegan/Vegetarian friends. I love my meat, you won 't change my mind. I've considered the healthy benefits and the furthest I got was just eating more vegetables because they are good for you. And while I have cut down on my meat consumption, I have not outlawed it altogether, and I won't.  I care about the animals welfare, that's why I choose meat from places that treat their animals well. But anyway, with the utmost respect: thanks, but no thanks. 

EDIT: I feel that came off rather harsh, and I didn't mean it too, tone is hard to tell over text. The last comment was made with a non condescending smile. 

Holocaust definition: Great destruction resulting in the extensive loss of life or A massive slaughter
So by definition it is a holocaust

I still think you're doing good by choosing places that treat their animal well and reducing your meat consumption. I mean it's way better than not doing it. The only problem here is even if the animal had a good life that doesn't justify ending their lives for something we don't need. Name the trait that is present in animals that if present in humans would morally justify killing humans. 

Edited by rarity2018

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be a meat eater then I worked in a slaughterhouse and let's just say if the ponies saw what we where doing they would send us all to purgatory lol seriously though after seeing what lies behind those closed doors I went vegetarian for two years then after doing some research I went vegan and I haven't been sick a single day not even the common cold can get me 😁😁😁 I have a question: are there any statements by Lauren confirming the ponies as vegetarians?

I eat everything.

Humans can chew and digest plants, animal products and meat. Therefore, it's most natural, healthy and ethically if they act like they evolved or were created.

I have a question: are there any statements by Lauren confirming the ponies as vegetarians?

Because in real life, all horses consume only plants. They can't digest meat and would die from it (horses have a very sensible digestive system), so they just don't eat it.

Edited by Aktaion